Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Oct 2017

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: hello?

Missing since: 24 Oct 2014
Notes left: 6
Last seen at: UK
I'm so nervous about posting in here; I'm the 'novice' mentioned in the Welcome section. But when I found this site, and saw that it wasn't inactive, I was so excited that I had to make an account.

So, hello all, I am luthor. I'm a twenty year old Creative Writing undergrad from the UK, and I've yet to actually play any of the Silent Hill games. :oops: (I'm still debating on whether or not to buy myself the first one, as that seems to be the one that's most recommended?)

I found SH through the first film, which I couldn't watch in full the first couple of times because I am a wuss. I finally watched it all a few weeks ago and, I don't know, something about it really resonated with me. I love that it's a text led by strong female characters, and, okay, I'm absolutely in love with Laurie Holden at the moment. I'm living a Cybil Bennett appreciation life right now, and no one can push me off this high~

I'm really happy to be on here, anyway, and I hope I get to know some of you within the future!

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: hello?

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1875
Last seen at: Los Angeles
I hope the nervousness will pass, because it's always nice having new faces around here. : )

Do you like playing games much? If they're not really your thing, it might be difficult to make a strong suggestion on a particular title. If you really do want more, Silent Hill 1 (or maybe even Shattered Memories) wouldn't be a bad place to start, since it was the basis for some of the film's content and direction. You might even be fine jumping to SH3, since it features a leading lady. None of the games absolutely demand that you play the older titles, so it's kind of up to you (and the consoles you have access to).

Hope to continue seeing you around, luthor!

Just Passing Through

Thank you, Typographenia! :) It's nice to meet you.

I'm not an avid gamer, no. The only console I have access to right now is a PS2, which I've been playing Okami on since forever. Thanks for the info, though, SH3 sounds pretty cool in that respect. I'd probably just want the one that has the least jumps-out-in-your-face moments.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1875
Last seen at: Los Angeles
If you want something you can play through without getting too scared, I would recommend Silent Hill 2. It was the first horror game I managed to play through on my own (I was a big chicken about horror things for a while), and it's not nearly as disturbing in its visuals as SH3 can be. SH1 and 3 both share a similar approach to their visuals, but SH3 takes it much further. I think either SH1 or SH2 would be a good place to start, if you have a chance. : )

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4650
Last seen at: Colorado
Welcome to the forum!
luthor wrote:
I I'm absolutely in love with Laurie Holden at the moment. I'm living a Cybil Bennett appreciation life right now
I'm a Cybil fan, too! It started with her in the first game, and later, I also loved Laurie Holden's portrayal of her in the movie. I cosplayed as her at a couple conventions, but my costume was based off the game version. It's basically the same, except for Brahms being spelled the game way on my patches and a certain other major aspect of the costume that you won't understand until you play the game, and take a certain course of action during the game...

Quote:
I'm still debating on whether or not to buy myself the first one, as that seems to be the one that's most recommended?
What's to debate? You should definitely get it!
Since you only have access to a PS2 anyway, I say go ahead and play the games in the order they were released, as best you can manage. And being a Cybil fan, you might want to see the original Cybil in SH1. Being a fan of the first movie, you might enjoy SH1 and 2 the most, as they were the main inspiration for the movie. A lot of the music and the atmosphere in the town is very much like SH1 and SH2 (some of the music is from other games, mainly SH3), and you'll recognize that some of the monsters in the movie are from SH2. The cult aspect and nightmarish moments/environment transformations were derived from SH1. The movie's plot is also more generally based on SH1. None of it is exactly like it is in the games, of course. But I would think you'd enjoy experiencing the two main games that inspired the movie that got you interested.

SH Homecoming is a game that came after the movie and that actually had some things in it derived from the movie. That game is on PS3.

Here's a list of the release order of all the games in the main SH series, if you're interested. And I'll put an asterik next to each game you can play on your PS2:
*Silent Hill
*Silent Hill 2
*Silent Hill 3
*Silent Hill 4: The Room
*Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
*Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Silent Hill Downpour

Keep in mind that although Origins was released later, it takes place before Silent Hill 1. You could choose to play it first if you'd like, as I sometimes do on my playthroughs, but honestly I think it'd be kinda better to experience them in order of release, the way fans did at the time.

That list might be a little daunting to look at for someone who's not an avid gamer. My recommendation for you still is to get started with SH1 and SH2, for the reasons I gave above. If you feel like moving on with the series after that, go for it. I hope you do. It's a great series. :)
And by the way, I definitely find SH3 to be the scariest in the series. Peoples' opinions on that differ, but there are quite a few that agree with me.

You mentioned wanting not many jump scares- you'll get those in every game to an extent, just so you know. :P Keep in mind it's a horror franchise, and one that does horror very well. You having trouble making it through the movie suggests to me that you'll have trouble making it through the games as well, especially since games are a bit more immersive/ you're actually playing the character. But I wish you luck!

Just Passing Through

Thanks, Typographenia, I'll definitely keep SH1/2 in mind. I think I remember reading somewhere that SH2 is basically an 'enhanced' version of SH1, but I'm not sure how correct that is. I think it was said in terms of the core story, maybe? I think I'd like to play the original at some point, anyway, so I think I might as well start there.

Phantomess, hey! Thanks so much for the in-depth post there. I've already looked up the number of SH games there are, and yes, daunting. :P Your Cybil cosplay sounds great. Was that for a kind of con, or just for the love of it? I really wanted to dress as her this Hallowe'en, but a chest infection foiled all plans for that.

The games do look terrifying. I tried to watch a walkthrough of the first one and barely got through the first ten minutes. I'll end up playing it in chunks, during the day time, with someone with me to take the controller when it gets too intense. But psychological horror games look fantastic, I wish I wasn't so spooked.

Thanks for the heads up, both of you. I'll stay well clear of SH3. :lol:

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

luthor wrote:
Your Cybil cosplay sounds great. Was that for a kind of con, or just for the love of it?
Kinda both. I'd been planning on doing it for years before I finally finished getting it ready a couple years ago. I first wore it on Halloween, even though all I did was stay home and hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters. I also made a drive to Lakeside Amusement Park in Denver and took a few photos in-costume there (you'll understand why when you play the game). Then I wore the costume to Comic Con, which kinda sucked because nobody knew who I was and there were no other SH cosplayers there. But when I wore it to my favorite convention, called Starfest, quite a few people knew who I was and I even found a Pyramid Head cosplayer! Later after you play SH1, you should check out the pics & video I've shared in the Silent Hill Copslay thread.

And hey... don't stay away from SH3- it's a great game- you probably just don't want to make it your first!

Just Passing Through

phantomess wrote:
I also made a drive to Lakeside Amusement Park in Denver and took a few photos in-costume there (you'll understand why when you play the game).

Is this the possessed!Cybil on the carousel scene? I've read up on the game quite a bit (I have a thing for spoilers). That sounds great, though, I'll have a look around for the cosplay thread! It's a shame that no one recognised who you were at the first con. Pyramid Head always seems so popular, but I guess Cybil's outfit is relatively nondescript?

Yeah, there's no chance SH3 will be my first, hah. I should probably wait until after I've finished the school year before I buy anything, but I'm really pining over SH1.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

The park was actually closed with maintenance workers all around, so I wasn't able to get pictures inside the park. Just looking at it from the outside & by the sign. (I don't think I posted many pics of that at the forum, actually.)
And since you've already spoiled the game a bit for yourself, yes, my costume was possessed Cybil with red eyes and a parasite coming out of my back.

Enough about my costume though, lol, there's a cosplay thread for that. :) (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2560 You'll find my posts on page 20. There is plenty of awesome stuff throughout that thread, though!)
Good luck with your endeavors of acquiring and playing some SH games, whenever you do embark on it.

Just Passing Through

Thank you for the link! I'm about to head over there right now. Your costume sounds incredible. :D

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Mar 2007
Notes left: 342
Hey Luthor, glad you're here!