Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 12 Dec 2017

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Enough with the SH2 "inner demons" stuff

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1393
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Whoever makes the next Silent Hill game, if there ever will be one - I just have one thing to say.

Enough with the "inner demons" stuff. That being said, stop looking at SH2 for comparison every god damn time you decide to make a SH game. And moreover, you as a fan should also stop requesting game developers to make a game like SH2.

Because guss what, that's exactly the problem with the SH games made by western developers - they tried to copy SH2 because that's the game many fans keep bitching about. So the thing that made SH2 stand out was that the player character is mentally unstable with a troubled past, whose horrible truth is revealed towards the end of the game (oh god, James is the killer!). Which other SH game made by Team Silent has this kind of player character? None. Which other SH game made by western developers tried to create this kind of player character? Well, let's see - Travis in Origins (abused by parents), Alex in Homecoming (killed his brother), Cheryl in SHSM (mentally insane), Murphy in Downpour (killer again!). Basically, western developers always tries to make something similar to SH2 because that's what they think the fans want. But in reality, fans don't always know what they want. They think they know what they want based on personal experience, but those experiences can be deceptive.

Truth is, many of the western developers are fans of SH2 themselves, so it makes sense that they were trying to copy its themes. The sad thing is that in their minds, they think that a person has to be mentally unstable or have a very troubled past in order to be pulled to Silent Hill, which is WRONG. Anyone can be pulled to Silent Hill given the right conditions. Most of the time it's just bad luck or coincidence. Harry Mason was pulled to Silent Hill because he adopted the "wrong" daughter. Heather was brought back to Silent Hill because it was meant to be, as a direct continuation of SH1. Henry was being pulled into Walter's world because he moved into Room 302. You see, they're all just accidents. That's not to say a mentally unstable person who needs to have their sins purified can't be pulled to Silent Hill to face their inner demons as well - I'm just saying that's not the exclusive reason why people are being pulled to Silent Hill.

So please, stop milking the shit out of SH2 over and over again. Yes, SH2 was amazing but that's not the only SH game out there. Instead, look at SH1 or SH4 for inspiration - or why not come up with something entirely original? Is that too much to ask for? Why does every SH character have to be a freak like James?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: Enough with the SH2 "inner demons" stuff

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 370
True, though Murphy from Downpour kind of subverted the trope. I don't think it's as much an issue of inner turmoil as it is of guilt. Not every protagonist has to be guilty and punished for a major sin. Harry was in the wrong place at the wrong time, though I'd imagine the loss of his wife affected him in some way. Heather likely had a decent life, though there seemed to be some signs of inner turmoil. However, unlike James, Harry, Heather/Cheryl and Henry were not guilt ridden for some kind of crime.

Rosewater Park Attendant

If you're dealing with very serious acts of guilt, it really doesn't matter if you're innocent or not. The fact that you think you're guilty is enough to create inner turmoil. That was Murphy's thing.

The issue is obviously that all games post-Room wanted to have a protagonist that was dealing with either guilt or inner demons. "Punishment for sins" so to speak, a character trope that was introduced with James.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Harry, Heather and Henry were quite "normal". I mean, losing your wife is one thing. Killing your wife? That's something else entirely.

Funny, I never noticed until now that Harry, Heather and Henry all start with "H" while James seems to be the missing link in the Team Silent era. :P

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
So what you're saying is that we need more protagonists with H-names.

Rosewater Park Attendant

AuraTwilight wrote:
So what you're saying is that we need more protagonists with H-names.

100 % yes.

Hayden, Harold, Hugo, Hector, Harvey, Hugh, Hank, Howard, Helen, Hannah, Hillary, Harriet, Helga, Holly, Haley. Just pick one.