Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Oct 2019

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: How long have you been a Silent Hill fan?

Missing since: 22 Feb 2012
Notes left: 985
I played the first one in the fall of 2002 after picking it up in a shop in Edinburgh, although it was missing the manual. But I was already a massive Resident Evil fan for at least 2 years beforehand, and 2002 was also the year I purchased a PS2 and a GameCube.

I think the decline with survival horror as a genre really started gradually with RE4 altering how horror games were presented during a new wave of sorts, and hereby making the other biggest horror franchises into third person shooters was what alienated a lot of fans, for better or for worse. The issue more so worsened after 2007 when we got a plethora of really bad imitators.

The year 2013 brought the gaming subcategory we know and love back to widespread acclaim, but then it went downhill again for a while.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator
 Post subject: Re: How long have you been a Silent Hill fan?

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4211
Last seen at: Your Special Place
Played SH1 when the demo disc shipped with Metal Gear Solid in 1999, so I suppose I've been a fan since the very start! :)

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2019 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I played it back in 1999 on a whim. It was my first horror game and pretty much took over my life during the SH1-4 heyday.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Brookhaven Receptionist

I think the best time to be a Silent Hill fan, or a fan of any other survival horror franchise, really, was definitely before 2005. Resident Evil 4 - sure. A lot of people love that game, but looking back on it in 2019... I think they messed up the series, and the genre. It's sort of like a double-edged sword with that one, because it's not a bad game in itself, but it's just a lame RE title that deviated way too far from the original format.

I guess we could say Capcom was sort of partially responsible for Konami ruining their series, as Capcom was kind of the first company to do a successful third person horror game, and everybody else making horror games at that time just assumed that was the future, and this is what we got handed to us, essentially. But whereas the games had gotten better graphics and a new outlook... the gameplay itself has been what one can only label as being a mixed bag.

Homecoming has a good story, but the clunky combat is enough to just say, no more. Downpour as well, to a degree. Shattered Memories and Book of Memories are not really sequels, and Origins at least felt like the others, but it didn't really offer anything new.

Now anything regarding RE from Capcom is just so unappealing to me. I would honestly blow a fuse if Konami announced a Metal Gear: Survive type game for Silent Hill. Maybe that's why they abandoned the series, and got out while they could. Maybe they know that would have been a very bad idea, and they would rather leave it be than put out another below average entry that disappoints hardcore fans.

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4211
Last seen at: Your Special Place
>I guess we could say Capcom was sort of partially responsible for Konami ruining their series

I still don't believe Konami "ruined" its series. The latter games are different and not quite as powerful, but every one of 'em has brought something special to the table, I reckon.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2019 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 709
Last seen at: Quebec, Canada
Like a lot of people in the 90s, I was a huge Resident Evil fan. I was obsessed with RE1 and 2 and played them basically every day for quite a while. So obviously Silent Hill 1 caught my attention as being the next big thing in survival horror.

I ended up renting it from Blockbuster when it first came out and while I enjoyed it, it didn't really speak to me at the time. Which is hilariously because I know where I quit was JUST before the otherworld of Midwich and I had no idea. Man, if i played for another 20 minutes my whole world would have been rightfully fucked.

It wasn't until when Silent Hill 2 came out that I read a review in EGM that flat out said 'this game WILL scare you'. So hell yeah, I was in. I ended up buying it and they sure as fuck were right. Since then I became obsessed with the series.

And yet, here we are with fuck all to go on. Love you Konami!

Brookhaven Receptionist

I didn't actually start playing Silent Hill until 2002. That's somewhat weird, because I'd already been playing the first three Resident Evil games for a good 2 years in a row. Before that, it was Tekken 3 I mostly played. Now I don't even play fighting games at all, and the WWE games have been rubbish since 2K took over from THQ, so I don't bother with them any more eitther.

Giving how starved I am of Silent Hill right now, I'm grateful for The Evil Within 2, Days Gone and the remastered version of The Last of Us all coming out in recent years. I don't think we've seen the last of Silent Hill, but I don't want a lame game like Project Resistance coming from Konami, just because they may be inclined to think that we'll take it because we've not had a new entry in years. Sorry, Konami. We definitely aren't gonna be down with that! :D

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1627
Vixx wrote:
Played SH1 when the demo disc shipped with Metal Gear Solid in 1999, so I suppose I've been a fan since the very start! :)

Same here. You wouldn't believe how many times I replayed that demo. In fact, I think I still have Metal Gear Solid and the SH1 demo around here somewhere.

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4706
Last seen at: Colorado
I played SH1 in '99 or possibly 2000. I was 13 and had recently gotten my own bedroom after my brother moved out and I was able to take his old room. He actually played SH1 first and then told me I should play it. It was so unlike anything I'd played before. It was my first time being scared by a game, and it took me like 22 hours of gameplay to beat, haha. I remember being on the phone with him about one of the puzzles, and I recruited my mom to come in and help me with turning the stupid valves in the school basement, LOL. So awesome remembering playing that for the first time on my little TV in my bedroom.

I'll forever be grateful for my brother introducing me to it. He never played any of the other SH games after that. I obviously did. :mrgreen: He became less of a gamer over the years while I remained one and only became more of one.

Vixx wrote:
I still don't believe Konami "ruined" its series. The latter games are different and not quite as powerful, but every one of 'em has brought something special to the table, I reckon.
I agree with Vixx! I'm one of the rare folks who has been a fan from the beginning AND has actually managed to enjoy every game in the series. I do full series play-throughs, but I also get the urge to pop in just SH1 or SH2 and do a play-through. There are qualms I have with some of the later games, but I don't need to 100% love EVERYTHING about a game to enjoy it. I felt that even the later SH games managed to have a Silent Hillish atmosphere to some degree and were enjoyable to play. They're way below the early games of the series but still worthy games IMO.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 509
By 1998, I was a Resident Evil fan. My first and favorite game in that series was RE2. My first game was Silent Hill 2 in 2001. After graduating from college, my dad bought me a PS2 as a gift. My younger sister bought SH2 for me (I rented it first). I was instantly hooked. The game was disturbing, yet also accessible for me as my visual coordination isn’t the best. Before that, I was a fan of Silent Hill 1, especially after seeing the commercial in the US. After SH2, I bought SH3. However, I didn’t buy SH1 until SH4 came out, and I got both. I love the games for their rich lore, horror, atmosphere, music, sounds, and storylines.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Thumbs up, Alexius.