Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 31 Mar 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: TWO New SH Games In Development???

Missing since: 22 Jan 2018
Notes left: 1
I hope Kojima won't screw this up. PT is a great horror game if you don't consider it a Silent Hill title.
For the record, I am open to some changes and improvements as done with for example Silent Hill 4, but the way Kojima handles his games with mainstream actors and the unnecessary weirdness really ticks me off. I mean, It's perfectly fine as long as he doesn't bring this stuff to the Silent Hill series. And he almost did with PT.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3428
This will once again come off with me defending Kojima, and heck I might turn out to be completely wrong in the end, but I feel I'm optimistic about how Kojima would handle a horror game. So here goes as I try to make that case...

I don't find Kojima's games 'unnecessary weird.' Sure the marketing around Death Stranding might seem 'weird' only in that we were seeing uncontextualized imagery trying to get you hooked in the same way that 'What is the Matrix?' did in 1999 to get you to buy the product... But Death Stranding is a very straight-forward game where everything makes sense. If anything, the fact that the game over-explains everything is a fault. Sure you might point out a hole or two somewhere, but that's typical of practically every work of art and what drives traffic to outlets like CinemaSins etc.

Essentially most of what constitutes for most of Kojima's 'faults' largely comes down to minutiae details that are way in the background and result in erroneous retcons that only the most die-hard care about. Sometimes it's just faulty interpretations or liberties taken with real-world science in a world of vampires and tiny invisible robots. I believe Animaniacs dealt with this subject well enough...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

The Metal Gear Series is deliberately convoluted in that it deals with conspiracies within conspiracies as a typical political fiction thriller. It just so happens that the world of MGS has supernatural elements to where essentially superhero type people exist as is common in comics and anime, and what makes for interesting boss fights. Add to this that Kojima was forced post-MGS2 due to fan complaints and death threats to stick to always using the same characters, sticking to canon and not allowed to invest in new IPs, and it's amazing that he managed to squeeze out of MGS' fiction what he could.

To put it briefly, it would be sometimes be the equivalent of thinking that the fact that James just buys into the idea that Maria just happens to look exactly like Mary or that Angela and Eddie are 'weird' is a problem with Owaku. But you will in fact find new generations of gamers turned off by Silent Hill 2, one famous example being the streamer Joseph Anderson who considered it pretty bad, but conceded that it was likely because he was given overhyped expectations and that the game was a product of its time. So not even the crown jewel of Silent Hill has escaped modern critique.

If there's one overriding fault with Kojima I'll agree with is that he didn't know when to draw the line at separating comical humour from seriousness in Death Stranding. What worked largely well enough in side-cutscenes or codecs or player action in the metal gear series for humour becomes jarring when juxtaposed with the otherwise serious moments of Death Stranding, which would've been better kept separate instead of rolling altogether with other stuff in the same scenes. Or when a sudden development occurs where we are supposed to feel sad at one moment, but happy in the next, as one situation where we ought to remain more deeply reflective in is immediately reversed to be the opposite, and when such a thing occurs it results in unintentional humour that comes off as silly.

But I feel he does understand genre and likely understands that this wouldn't work in horror. In past interviews his explanation for why he does things this way is largely because he didn't want his games to become too serious as he felt that would make the player depressed or loose motivation, so he always added in humour and levity to remove his audience from getting too deeply embedded in extremely serious subject matter. But that's because he was essentially making action-adventure titles where that sort of thing from James Bond to Die Hard can work with moments of humour. As for the horror genre, it's understood that this needs to be reigned back (though not necessarily absent completely - it just take a different form, like expecting a monster in a locker, only to find a cat, for example, or walking away from an empty toilet after knocking on the door, only to hear a sound - these moments are scary but at the same time also darkly humorous).

Contrary to the idea of Kojima being some 'pretentious' creator, he likes poking fun at himself and his own work. Which is pretty much the opposite of 'pretentious.' In fact the reason he also kept doing it is that fans liked it, and often times Kojima caters to them to a fault as he did in MGS4, a game essentially made because of fan-demand when Kojima considered MGS2 to be 'the end' and preferred going back to the past with Big BOss when forced to do more.

Much of the detraction against Kojima for some reason occurred during MGSV:TPP's development and things like MeToo and other things were going on and suddenly it seems as though things got a bit more hyper-critical in the internet community where outside of the game, things Kojima did or said were then reinterpreted to give them the most uncharitable spin possible, especially considering that English isn't Kojima's mother-tongue, nor is the culture he lives in anywhere the same as in America over social issues.

For example with things like Quiet in MGSV - fake news went around stating that he did it purposely to get girls to cosplay as Quiet - the reality is that Western Journalists/Bloggers deliberately decontextualized a series of tweet he made, many just repeating the error without fact-checking and simply bandwagoning retweets of accusations of misogny being made against Kojima.

The facts in that matter are that Kojima usually does things for the fan community, such as releasing high quality CG renders of MGS characters for cosplayers to use as reference. So he released several for Venom Snake, Kaz Miller and Quiet. He commented that he had deliberately asked artist Yoji Shinkawa to push the boundaries of over-sexualizing Quiet, and the reason seems to be that Kojima wanted to comment about the typical industry where female characters were designed in the Japanese industry to sell merchandise, such as figurines etc. that Kojima was trying to break. Thus he then warned his cosplaying fans that he believed this fact about Quiet made her 'un-cosplayable' because it pushed against the typical standards of decency. This last tweet of his in a series was completely ignored, and everyone only focused on the comment where he briefly mentioned how female characters in games were typically designed. Though we should also keep in mind that Metal Gear has always been the James Bond-esque pulp action story with sexy femme fatales that are typical of the genre, so his games always had this element and thus it was natural to see this as an extension of that, along with the Beauty & Beast corps in MGS4 where these were intended as juxtapositions of beautiful women and previous fan-favourite bosses who were deadly and who also had tragic back-stories that brought you down from the thrill of defeating them within the context of a theme of endless war and doing the same things over and over again.

The other Quiet-related tweet had to do with people following up on that asking why she was dressed that way to which he responded that once they found out why they'd be 'ashamed of their words and deeds.' The in-universe explanation for Quiet turned out to be just some ability to photo-synthesize, which was hardly anything impressive, and didn't really excuse it considering the End in MGS3 could do it while being fully clothed. But it seems that Kojima might've been referring to the thematic reason, with 'words and deeds' relating to the subject matter of MGSV and the themes of people being robbed of their identity and history through the erasure and control of language as a means of colonization. Thus Kojima was also half-joking and making a pun without giving the story away prior to release - being that Quiet is representative of an exploited woman. Who
[Reveal] Spoiler:
leaves the player eventually towards the end of the game... forever... (until a much later patch after Kojima's departure made it possible to bring her back again by repeatedly playing a certain mission over 7 times), and had ties to one of the other characters who still essentially was a background antagonist with his own agenda of revenge.
It's one of the few areas where Kojima doesn't spell things out, but none the less, everyone got the wrong impression, and it's again why I think following him stepping away from over-emphasizing story in MGSV to focus more on gameplay, fan criticism made him return to the more excessive cutscene form of storytelling in Death Stranding and having to over-explain things.

The point is that regardless of how one thinks of the writing in MGSV or MGS4 etc. where Kojima's ideas either hit or miss, it seems Kojima is perpetually damned if he does or damned if he doesn't so there's no pleasing everyone. But MGSV's story and cutscenes did take a back seat, and he was still criticized for it because people liked having his elaborate cutscenes in Metal Gear, and this was essentially what he promised he'd do with Death Stranding.

At the end of the day, Metal Gear and Death Stranding are essentially either political war-fiction, or science-fiction. This is a genre completely different from horror where over-explanation of details tends to be typical of anyone who ever delves into reading books related to this, which is something Kojima does and was also friends with the late novelist Project Itoh. And what few things we have seen from Kojima that possess horror elements in Metal Gear - Psycho Mantis in MGS1, The Patriots messing with Raiden in MGS2, the Sorrow in MGS3, the fog mission and virus-facility and first man-on fire boss confrontation in MGSV, were all on-point and atmospherically effective! And there is also P.T. which is is a horror cult-hit for a reason, and even the writing in it is extremely intriguing and altogether fits the stuff you'd find in Silent Hill.

So I believe Kojima does get horror and can do it effectively and without resorting to making any of it a zombie-killing shooter.

So yeah, I'm optimistic about him getting his hands on Silent Hill. The only concern would be regarding breaking canon, because he's obviously not the creator of the series and doesn't seem to have anyone on staff who was instrumental to doing so, like Toyama and Owaku or Ito. While Yamaoka was always around for previous games, if there's one thing TwinPerfect got right it was that Yamaoka himself wasn't knowledgeable about the lore, and this led to Western devs missing the point of certain things, like Pyramid Head etc. So it is practically guaranteed that Kojima would get something wrong with Silent Hill canon, and why I think his 'Silent Hills' was likely intended as an alternate universe escape hatch.

But with Toyama also doing one, or what I was originally hoping for with Toyama and Kojima working together along with Ito, they, being the original creative could share information back and forth. Toyama also did work with Kojima long long ago on Snatcher.
https://caneandrinse.com/keiichiro-toyama/

Of interest in that same interview above, Toyama said back in 2012, "I suppose the reason why more action oriented gameplay is favoured nowadays is because the increase in the budget requires a wider appeal. In order to make a more horror oriented game, you need to do it with a low budget, but I am very interested in that direction and would definitely love to do it again one day."

So Toyama is also more in line with a non-action focused game and he also doesn't mind being messy and taking a risk stating, "What scares me the most are for my titles to be engulfed by the sheer profusion of other games, so I’ve got this habit of starting with the aspects that will absolutely differentiate them. For my personal taste too, I prefer something new and original even if it’s crude, rather than something neatly put together, so I can’t help making my games with that in mind."

So in that vein I feel both Toyama and Kojima are of similar mind. Kojima also stated after leaving Konami that he felt that he wanted to focus on smaller, more intimate games, but everyone else encouraged him to go big, from Del Toro to other staff and friends at Sony and elsewhere, and that's why he aimed high with Death Stranding, and bringing on board big name actors.

I get the idea of not wanting recognizable faces in video games, given that it's a digital realm and actors don't need to look the same, and I do believe that's a strength that should be maintained. But if they do keep Reedus' like-ness, I can live with it. A big reason why a lot of game characters are sticking more closely to the likenesses of their mo-cap actors, including Capcom remodelling some classic characters to match the new actors, is because the subtlties of facial performance capture and easier to translate to someone who looks the same, so it's less work.

So yeah, to summarize, I believe Kojima can do it, and I'm hoping that he and Toyama consult together to maintain cohesion.

Of course it all depends. For all we know Konami and Sony might just let Toyama's Silent Hill be canon, and give Kojima carte blanche to ignore canon and do a 'Shattered Memories' so that it wouldn't matter. It's interesting that Death Stranding for PC is also teasing Half-Life ALYX stuff, considering the rumour is that Kojima wants to work with VR. I'm wondering if whether Sony does develop the new VR controllers, whether these controllers can still work even without the VR headset so long as you possess the camera. This may cheapen costs and open things up for other players, but naturally they'd work best with the headset. So Silent Hills may end up being essentially a playground area that sets itself apart from the actual canon to just focus on interactivity and scares.

If the Toyama games does work out, I feel it's likely we could see a similar type of deal with Nintendo and Fatal Frame where Konami is happy enough to just perpetually let Sony handle the Silent Hill brand and send them a cheque.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In some other news, it looks at though a delay for Next-Gen is looking likely... maybe shifting from end 2020 to Summer-Fall 2021 I think...
https://www.windowscentral.com/strong-l ... ys-analyst

So Sony has plenty of time to keep things back. And we may end up seeing Toyama's Silent Hill as a launch-window title if that occurs. I'm predicting it's getting a 3-year dev cycle for release late 2021 or early 2022.

Sony has been looking to do all kinds of deals with 3rd parties from Marvel's Spider-Man to Predator and also with Crash Bandicoot, and reviving old stuff like Medievil. So they've been on a kick to find things and old stuff fans like and striking deals to revive projects.

Considering the success of Castlevania on Netflix, there may be more in store for that too. Konami is also likely looking into a Silent Hill TV series too. Though I don't think they'll go the animated route for that, unless it's high quality CG and Netflix did fund some very good stuff in Love, Death and Robots... But I do feel like a live-action series is in the cards somewhere, but it'll probably occur after Gans' film to leverage more interest.

Also lending more info to the idea that the Toyama Silent Hill is not a 'remake', Ito tweeted this in the past:
https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1154089157414621184

As an added thing, an old 2chan post was brought up which was posted ong before the current details. It was ignored before because it could not be verified but is probably worth another look.

According to this, Sony is looking into also collaborating with Konami on not only Silent Hill, but Metal Gear and Castlevania.

The interesting Silent Hill related tidbit is Ikumi Nakamura, whom most may remember as the woman who playfully revealed Bethesda and Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks GHOSTWIRE Tokyo as its creative director, which was then later unceremoniously cancelled.

Nakamura later left Tango and has since been seen tweeting pictures from touring around various Sony studios, so the idea of her joining up with Sony makes sense, and putting her to work on Silent Hill also fits as she was the lead art disigner on Evil Within and was Mikami's apprentice director.

The 2 chan poster probably means that Sony is licensing the rights. Konami is not selling them. A significant distinction.

In a way, this move from Sony's end makes sense in that in the upcoming subscription wars, with Microsoft buying up studios, and Sony having purchased Insomniac, there is currently a war on right now for valuable IPs and studios. Sony seems to not just want to buy studios outside of those they have a significant relationship with such as Insomniac. But a secondary consideration is locking up the rights to 3rd party IPs and letting their own internal studios work on them, or even managing them with a 2nd party of their choosing - such as Kojima Productions, or Housemarque or Bluepoint.

I can see the latter two being a great fit for Castlevania (Housemarque with their arcadey experience) and Metal Gear MSX remakes (Bluepoint who remade Shadow of the Colossus, rumored to be remaking Demons Souls, and who could remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake under Kojima's guidance. Kojima worked with Bluepoint on the Metal Gear Solid port collection. MGS2,3,PW).

SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3471
The chan post just sounds like the same generic fan pandering fake leaks we see often. A company jumps in and makes everything everyone has always wanted. I don't see anything that inspires belief in that, especially since Igarashi is likely very busy with Bloodstained DLC and stretch goals for at least the next year or two, I don't think he's going to be doing any Castlevania reboot. I'd hold off on getting excited for that one unless something more credible comes along.

True, it's something that anyone could've reasonably guessed.

Though it is true that Sony is interested in all those titles, they partially funded a port of classic Castlevania titles. And Metal Gear is a strong brand tied to PlayStation. So it would be reasonably foreseen that in the future they'd try to lock something down.

Of interest, Microsoft released official Series X specs which lines up with another leak that also stated that PS5 was marginally more powerful.
https://jackofallcontrollers.com/2020/0 ... at-13-3tf/

The new nextgen machines moving to specialized SSDs will also have big impacts such as fast loading of assets which would eliminate or heavily reduce load times. So we might bid farewell to the tension of fading to black before entering new rooms/areas unless this is artificially done. So this has big implications for level design and horror atmosphere, though we may miss some nostalgic elements of footprint loading screens etc.

I also wonder if they'll revisit the old SH5 idea of scaring you in broad daylight? I imagine Toyama is up for shaking the formula, and lighting and reflected light will be a big part of next gen tech.

---------
Update - Sony will be officially getting into PS5 HW details tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/ ... 0812450816

This is likely info they planned to release at GDC before its cancellation. Often these come with tech/demos and at least hints of game announcements. But anything Silent Hill related is unlikely, but who knows? Most likely it'll be western devs showing something and the Japanese side is usually represented by Gran Turismo or a 3rd party like Square Enix.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 521
While I don’t see Sony buying those IPs anytime soon, I could see Konami leasing them to Sony. Heck, and if Sony knocks it out of the park with them, I could see Konami doing more partnership projects with them. We’ll see.

So nothing other than tech specs came from the PS5 presentation. Also in terms of TFs PS5 will have 10 compared to XseX's 12. But there are other advantages. The SSD one is interesting along with 3D audio. Essentially eliminating the need for devs to put in long distances or elevators or cooridoors to mask loading between major areas, plus other QOL stuff regarding game sizes, duplication of assets, patches etc.

Imagine a dynamic Otherworld for instance where things can truly transform randomly rather than only set moments, for example.

Essentially Silent Hill could be a showcase with level transformations, light and audio with these advantages. It'll also be interesting to learn what can be done with haptics in the controller.

Double-post bump -

Looks like the US branch of Konami is officially denying these rumours.
https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-new ... are-false/

"According to a North American PR representative for Konami, recent Silent Hill rumors “are not true.”

“We’re aware of all the rumors and reports but can confirm that they are not true. I know it’s not the answer your fans may want to hear,” said the Konami US PR rep.

We asked the Konami US PR rep for some clarification on the company’s claim that the rumors were false, asking if both the reported Silent Hill reboot by SIE Japan Studio with Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka on board, as well as the separate Silent Hills revival that Sony is allegedly pitching to Kojima Productions, are both not true. No response was received after a week of follow-ups. The initial response about the rumors was received within an hour of our first email.

While we do trust our sources who have shared accurate information with us about multiple game series and industry happenings in the past, publishing Konami’s side of the story is important. That said, the details regarding recent rumors mostly pertain to alleged events happening between Konami Japan, SIE Japan Studio, and Kojima Productions. We have only spoken to Konami US, and we’re hoping for additional information from them to have a clear cut answer about what aspects of the rumors are false; if received, we’ll update this story."

This does sound like a clear cut denial, but getting the specifics would be important.

For example... is Konami denying the rumor that Sony bought the Silent Hill IP?

Is Konami denying the rumour that there is no Kojima Silent Hills? (Because the deal didn't work out, or the negotiation is still in progress and therefore a confirmation of a Kojima game is categorically untrue?)

Or are they denying generally everything around the rumors, including the idea that Sony is collaborating with them by licensing the IP being mixed in with other BS related to buying/working on the Castlevania and Metal Gear IPs?

The original leaker is still standing by his claim.
https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/sta ... 1974769665

The other verified insider on ResetEra is also sticking by their guns that the Toyama Silent Hill is actually happening.

Masahiro Ito retweeted the PS5 Cerny talk, if that means anything... :P

Last edited by jdnation on 24 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 25 Jan 2010
Notes left: 447
Hm, well I'm tempted to be disappointed, but I still want to see if anything comes from this. I think it's not all completely for nothing.

Gravedigger

At this point, I think it’s safe to say these rumors are bullshit. I heard rumors on Reddit that Rely on Horror were making up their ‘news’ for clickbait. That or their sources were misinformed or lying. The reason the Konami didn’t return an email to clarify further is because he already addressed all these reports and rumors as not true, to paraphrase. It was a blanket shot down. It’s not looking good for these rumors.

Also, AestheticGamer could have been lying or his sources lied to him.

I tweeted Masahiro Ito to see if he’s working on a Silent Hill game. He hasn’t replied yet. That doesn’t mean that the absence of an answer is an indication he is working on one. Sometimes, he just doesn’t answer his tweets.

Also, all of the sources that claimed the PS5 was 11 plus Teraflops were dead wrong. It Just goes to show you how unreliable leakers, sources, and so-called insiders can be.

Looks like we’re back at square one.

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3471
Alexius Corvinus wrote:
At this point, I think it’s safe to say these rumors are bullshit. I heard rumors on Reddit that Rely on Horror were making up their ‘news’ for clickbait. That or their sources were misinformed or lying. The reason the Konami didn’t return an email to clarify further is because he already addressed all these reports and rumors as not true, to paraphrase. It was a blanket shot down. It’s not looking good for these rumors.

Also, AestheticGamer could have been lying or his sources lied to him.

It's incredibly easy for someone on reddit to just say "they made up these rumors for clickbait" and historically that is always how leakers are treated until they are proven correct. Take a look at how people responded to Siliconera in 2015 when they said FFVII Remake would be revealed at E3 or how people treated Laura Kate Dale when she said there would be a Mario and Rabbids crossover game. Everyone is always accused of making things up for clickbait, because that's an easy accusation to swing around.

That being said, it is always best to keep expectations in check when dealing with rumors and leaks. Statistically most of them will turn out to be false, especially if they come from anonymous places like 4chan or reddit. However, when several credible leakers all say similar things around the same time, claiming independent sources, it's safe to say something is up. That may be the exact thing they heard or something similar, but something is happening.
(And that's not even getting into how trustworthy people here know and trust the folks at Rely on Horror)

I'd also like to point out that until they are ready to officially unveil their game, a company is always going to deny that it exists. That's just how this works. Konami saying a vague "rumors aren't true" statement means absolutely nothing. Especially when there are multiple rumors out there. For example, I'm sure the rumor that Sony bought all their IP isn't true.

Gravedigger

Alright, but what about shareholders? Wouldn’t Konami have to debunk these rumors if they got out of control and started affecting stocks? Unless, of course Konami doesn’t want the public to know these games exist due to the possibility they could be cancelled before being announced? In other words, if the games are in development, Konami doesn’t want to give out any promises to their stockholders if these games end up not coming into fruition?

Konami would definitely have to debunk them if the rumors are saying they are actually selling their IP to someone else. This would certainly move Konami to kill them because shareholders would be asking what the heck is going on.

Shareholders are likely already informed that Konami is actively seeking external help for development of 2 Silent Hill projects , and don't necessarily have to be informed about any more details, which Konami has not publicly commented upon yet. Konami working with external devs on current projects is pretty much what they typically do anyway, so shareholders probably don't care who it is, and only would be informed that Konami is doing something, and how much they invest in it.

But if there is a complication in that which they cannot announce to the public yet, meaning if they are actively developing something with Sony and/or Kojima. They have no choice but to stay silent until they are ready.

So the choice comes down to -

a) Debunk only specific aspects of the rumor, thereby lending credibility to the other rumors not specifically commented on/debunked and encouraging more leaks and also more false rumors that would again need to be debunked.

b) Put out a vague blanket condemnation of the rumors without specifically stating anything. Thereby casting everything in doubt and hopefully killing off any further interest until an actual hypothetical announcement.

So if it is the case that they and Sony are working on something, option B is the best course of action, and they will make no further comment.

Vague denials tend to be PR stock'n'trade, and craftily worded depending on how the question is asked, which in this case we'd need to know specifically what Rely On Horror asked them and the subsequent follow-up.

Keep in mind that it is also in Konami's best interests to make any leakers look as bad and unreliable as possible to further discourage leaks.

The truth is entirely up in the air at the moment. We do have sources that have proven reliable in the past all independently claiming the same things. So it seems there's smoke, but whether that's true or not is indeed an open question.

One of the sources who is standing by their claim stated that Toyama's game would be revealed this year - likely referring to a potential PS5 unveiling to the public, and it would make the most sense for Sony to push that title to build hype. I feel if that doesn't materialize - even as a teaser, that may put an end to the rumours as if there was ever a time for Sony to blow that trumpet, it would be then.

I'm still in Camp Hopeful.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 12089
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Ugh. The last thing we needed given everything happening in the world right now was this. Why did they have to choose now to deny the rumours now that the world has become truly awful? :(

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4339
Last seen at: Your Special Place
As I said on Twitter, FWIW, Konami has no choice here but to deny it even if it's true. Konami also told me directly that Yamaoka and Kojima hadn't left when they unequivocally had, so I'd take this with as big a grain of salt as the original rumours themselves (remember the shit I had for saying Yamaoka had left MONTHS before it was announced? I was called a liar and denounced by large sections of the SH fanbase until it was finally confirmed as true).

I can't remember which game it was, but I also had them directly deny a sequel to me when it was announced, like, a month later. :P

Alexius Corvinus – I trust CJ at Rely on Horror 100%, and I personally have heard the same rumours too, from a trusted source inside Konami and so reported it at Eurogamer. It's so unfair to slag RoH off for clickbait when they did due diligence and had more than one source.

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2019 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1082
Last seen at: Queen of Black Crows#5643 discord
Yeah, like Vixx said as far as I'm concerned what Konami said has no bearing on my feelings about whether the rumor is likely to be true or not. Honestly them denying it makes me slightly more hopeful than them not addressing at all (though confirmation would of course be better). I'm still skeptical, but this doesn't change my outlook.

It could also be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. In this case the US branch versus the HQ in Japan where such decisions are being made. It always struck me that Konami is highly disorganized. The Kojima fallout revealed a lot about their ridiculous internal affairs as have the departures of several creatives. And I feel bad in hindsight for what people like Tom Heulett might've had to put up with due to poor communication from Konami, where it seems many higher ups held the gaming division with contempt and wouldn't mind throwing its western partners to the winds. They likely have no qualms misleading Rely On Horror as they'd view it as nothing more than a tabloid. So Konami PR has historically not been favoured.

That said, Konami themselves could also have their hands tied if any statements made are not only subject to Konami HQ, but must also be approved by Sony as a contractual partner, thereby adding a double layer of bereaucracy, especially if tied to sensitive information regarding next gen consoles, which details are still 'Top Secret.' So they can essentially confirm nothing due to the confidential nature of PS5 development.

Well, if anyone wants to feel better, here's a pretty good breakdown of next gen potential, where we can close our eyes and just imagine!
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comme ... e_console/

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 12089
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Vixx wrote:
As I said on Twitter, FWIW, Konami has no choice here but to deny it even if it's true. Konami also told me directly that Yamaoka and Kojima hadn't left when they unequivocally had, so I'd take this with as big a grain of salt as the original rumours themselves (remember the shit I had for saying Yamaoka had left MONTHS before it was announced? I was called a liar and denounced by large sections of the SH fanbase until it was finally confirmed as true).

I can't remember which game it was, but I also had them directly deny a sequel to me when it was announced, like, a month later. :P

Alexius Corvinus – I trust CJ at Rely on Horror 100%, and I personally have heard the same rumours too, from a trusted source inside Konami and so reported it at Eurogamer. It's so unfair to slag RoH off for clickbait when they did due diligence and had more than one source.

So.....it's okay for me to hold onto a little hope?

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1060
Last seen at: In your fridge
That's what I'm doing.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 586
Last seen at: Phoenix
Vixx wrote:

Konami's denial was vague even for a PR dept. It only told me that we're still in rumor zone. K could have signed a confidentiality agreement with any of these partners.

Gravedigger

Vixx - Sorry for sounding accusatory. It’s just that there’s been false rumors throughout the years, and that’s not just for SH but other games as well. It’s been a really long time since SHS was cancelled, and I just don’t want to be let down again, though I’m expecting disappointment anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next