Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 29 May 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: TWO New SH Games In Development???

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1074
Last seen at: In your fridge
My only problem with the potential of just using incredibly detailed models and forgoing normal maps is that it would bloat the file size like nobody's business. Eliminating the need for LOD models is good though as you wouldn't need multiple versions of the model filling up space.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3469
Yeah it's a trade-off. No requirement for multiple models, and also more importantly - duplication of models on the Hard drive, which is what leads to the biggest bloats of file sizes.

That said, it doesn't mean games are necessarily going to be using the largest assets possible like those used in film, nor does it necessarily mean that reliance on normal maps, baked lighting and other tricks goes away, as that still saves you computing power that can be used to make your scenes more impressive.

Game sizes either get smaller, or the space gets taken up with more assets for more impressive visuals.

What this is really good for is for more smaller sized games made by smaller/indy teams, as well as for larger devs pushing stuff out faster.

So now thanks to dynamic lighting and ability to use high quality assets as is, and contextual animations, even small indy teams can match the quality of what you see top developers doing now. That said, top developers are also going to be in another realm when it comes to improving art direction and animation and pushing the envelope forward.

So for small titles, they'll look better than ever and be out faster. Ditto for large developers. Then there will be some who'll really push the envelope.

So I can see big devs like Rockstar continuing to use the old techniques and use the extra horsepower to make their worlds more dynamic and busy for titles such as Grand Theft Auto, where you'll still be able to save horsepower by using normal maps, but I feel assets will be used as is, though obviously not complete IMAX film quality for CG rendering, but in a state that is 'good enough' while putting more unique assets on the map.

In some other news, it seems the word going around is that Sony's event is scheduled for June 4th and will have many games to show.

For Silent Hill's case, they are probably using their own in-house proprietary engines which likely have a lot of these features thanks to Sony Worldwide Studios tech sharing, though they'll tweak lighting etc. to do what they want, and I imagine they'll be putting more emphasis on animation as well. Which past precedent for monsters means more hand-animation to do things that the human body cannot do using mo-cap.

I wonder if there will only be a trailer or they'll do a full-on presentation... Heh, here's a blast from the past...
https://youtu.be/8QYqWQqEAdA

Bump - here is a bit of related news.

VGC initially broke the rumoured story that Ken Imaizumi had left Kojima Productions. But now it can be confirmed that he has joined TenCent.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... ncent/amp/

Another rumor alleged that this occurred because Kojima wanted to work with Konami again on Silent Hills, but Ken did not want anything to do with Konami.

VGC is also saying in a response for clarification that they also have sources confirming that a Silent Hill game is happening, so Konami PR was lying.
https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/statu ... 5700045826

------------------

Alanah Pierce (former IGN, now Youtuber) reiterates some old stuff she heard in light of recent rumors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnwYyLE2Uc

----------------------

Insiders are feeling certain that the game will show up at Sony's June event, rumors now suggest it's June 11th.

DuskGolem also claims that there'll be some other bit of news that'll make the announcement more exciting. But he doesn't know anything specifically about what the game is about or what gameplay is like or its size/scope itself, so this might just be referring to a cast/crew member or that it'll release at/close to launch or something.
https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/sta ... 7147365376

-------

DuskGolem reiterated again that Sony, Kojima and Konami getting together to discuss making Silent Hills as a second game to Toyama's project is a fact that really did happen. But he feels that it won't go through because Kojima has other, better offers to consider.

I'm guessing that if Kojima doesn't do it, then it's likely that Toyama's game is called Silent Hills. And maybe the other bit of good news is that P.T. will get a re-release as a bonus with the game.

I'm also wondering if Toyama will take the Siren approach of having multiple protagonists, which fits the plural title. And maybe you can switch between them on the fly, giving you a different perspective of the town and each other, utilizing the PS5 SSD speed, which can really shake up the formula and make for a very interesting dynamic!

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 12110
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/sta ... 0125335552

DuskGolem is at it again, saying the SH reveal will be soon and, not only that, the game is already playable with a demo coming soon.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3521
At this point I am entirely convinced we are either going to see this game in the rumored June PS5 event or the rumored August State of Play. There's just too much smoke for there not to be some kind of fire.

Same. There hasn't been this much innuendo and credible rumour flying around about the series in half a decade. Something is happening.

I can see the PS5 event ending with the lights dimming, then the faint sound of static, a moan, and then the mandolin riff from the SH1 theme plays with the words "Welcome back.....to Silent Hill!" going across the screen.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Missing since: 14 Jan 2004
Notes left: 2976
Last seen at: Moon base #25
Sigh..... After all the video game carp and controversy this year... I won't hold my breath. Even if there IS a new game it's probably going to be that telltale make your own choice sort of game that was rumored.

sh#1fan wrote:
Sigh..... After all the video game carp and controversy this year... I won't hold my breath. Even if there IS a new game it's probably going to be that telltale make your own choice sort of game that was rumored.

In all situations it's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical and not buy into rumors. But for what it's worth, that was a completely different thing. What everyone is saying is happening is a game by Keiichiro Toyama, Masahiro Ito, and Akira Yamaoka. Specifically with the dev team of Toyama's Siren and Gravity Rush games.

I'd also, as much as I encourage skepticism over leaks, encourage not judging a game before you try it yourself.

Missing since: 23 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1086
Last seen at: Queen of Black Crows#5643 discord
I won't fully *believe* it until its in my hands but... I'm definitely Excited in the most literal sense of the word.

We can confirm that Ikumi Nakamura is not involved. She's not officially with Sony and is freelance, though it's possible that the work she is doing at Santa Monica might be for Sony's studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0NtNF0L1Y

The other insider KatharsisT said awhile back that the game was playable and that a trailer can be cut from what they had. I doubt we'll see a demostration, but a trailer with cutscenes and gameplay snippets sounds right. I'm thinking something similar to SH4's incredible attraction video would be hype!

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Mar 2020
Notes left: 10
Last seen at: Massachusetts
Normally I'd be dismissive of leaks like this. So many times I've gotten my hopes up for nothing. However, there has been so much buzz about this in such a short span of time. All these leaks seem consistent, however this might be from articles spreading the same information and secondhand sources quoting secondhand sources. I want nothing more than a new Silent Hill title and I'll admit all this buzz has given me a little hope

. For now I'll take everything with a grain of salt and call it fake. That way if it's real it'll be extremely exciting and if it really is fake then my hopes won't be dashed. All we can do is hope.

Today's announcement that Cheryl Mason, Lisa Garland, Pyramid Head, and Midwich Elementary School are being added to Dead by Daylight, I take that as a strong supporter of the rumours that the series is imminently going to be revived in a big way. Why bother licensing for such a cross-promotion for a dead franchise otherwise?

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Pyramid Head showed up in Metal Gear Survive and Super Bomberman R. This could simply just be another cameo. I'd like to think it's a sign of something more but I also want to temper my expectations.

leftshoe18 wrote:
Pyramid Head showed up in Metal Gear Survive and Super Bomberman R. This could simply just be another cameo. I'd like to think it's a sign of something more but I also want to temper my expectations.

Those are Konami games though. This is a big cross-company promotion. Could be nothing, but could also definitely be something.

Like I said I'm just constantly trying to keep my expectations down. Losing Silent Hills the way we did hurt and I'm just cautious now, you know? lol

Suehiro Mauro, the horror manga artist who posted his 'Silent Hills' invitation at Konami also made a post on Instagram about the Dead by Daylight DLC with a "We just started" message.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor- ... t-35088195

I'm starting to wonder if 'Silent Hills' is no longer a game title, but a media campaign for multiple Silent Hill projects.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 526
jdnation wrote:
Suehiro Mauro, the horror manga artist who posted his 'Silent Hills' invitation at Konami also made a post on Instagram about the Dead by Daylight DLC with a "We just started" message.

I'm starting to wonder if 'Silent Hills' is no longer a game title, but a media campaign for multiple Silent Hill projects.

You might be on to something, here. I also wonder if that new ‘Silent Hill’ logo is going to be the de-facto design for the other Silent Hill projects. It’s a huge step above the Downpour logo, IMO.

jdnation wrote:

Dear sweet Samael it's actually finally happening.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Missing since: 09 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2595
Last seen at: Centralia
itshappening.jpeg!!

Man, the last six or seven years were dark, but here's hoping we finally have something to look forward to.

Is it too early to say "it's good to be back"? ...Probably, but I still wanna say it.

DuskGolem has tweeted again. Looks like the timeline on the reveal may not be as predictable as hoped: https://mobile.twitter.com/AestheticGam ... 7507175426

Edit: PS5 event may be coming next week: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... f=uE15RiYa

Could SH9 be revealed then???

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next