Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 25 Mar 2017

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: The real religion of Silent Hill

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
I have been thinking about it for some time know and,what reilgion does the people of Silent Hill have?They have different elements of different real world reilgions.
Examples:
rencrnation from buddism
Female God from Greek and Roman religions
magicks from anceint Eygiptian reilgions

those are just the ones that I can think of,add more if you can think of them. :D

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

The entire Kaballah.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Jan 2004
Notes left: 2232
Last seen at: In the tattered recesses of your very mind
They have their own religion, although I reckon it's based off some things. I believe Lost Memories said something about Mayan and Aztec religions? But it's not really any real world religion, it's a cult. Kind of like the Halley's Comet people

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Sep 2005
Notes left: 200
Last seen at: New Hampshire
hey, every religion is a cult to begin with, and most are based off of other, more prominent faiths.

Take Satanism for example. Used to be a cult, and now is a recognized religion.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Feb 2005
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: On The Internet
Your question was a bit vague. were you asking what "real life" religion on earth is most likely related to the events of silent hill?

I would have to say it is something related to bits of ancient Judaeism/Christianity, having ideas from the Old Testament and Kabbalah.

The cult of silent hill worships the "old gods" these gods are most likely to be fallen angels.

There are stories told in hebrew and christian teachings (which may or may not actually be in the kaballah/old testament) that tells of a group of renegade angels, who rebel against God in anger, because they wish to also be worshipped, but God decrees that he is the one and only almighty God. these angels are defeated and cast out of heaven. Some stories tell of angels being sent to hell where they rule as high ranking demons, and their leader is the devil. other stories tell of the fallen angels mating with human females to create the Nephilim giants.

this part can relate more to SH again... some stories tell that some fallen angels are cast down to earth in spirit form, where they use their supernatural powers and promises of giving power or eternal life, to decieve humans into worshipping them as gods.

Some could say that all savage pagan gods, such as the south american gods, (which have similar names to the "Old Gods") who demand blood sacrifices and such, are really evil fallen angels decieving people away from the one true (Hebrew/Christian) god.

All of that being said, i want to reiterate that i have no idea if any of those stories ARE in the Kabballah or Old Testament. so if you know otherwise, or disagree with me based on your own religious beliefs, then i mean no offense. many people have said that neither of the books of the religions tell anything of a rebellion in heaven, however i have seen it talked about on some wierd christian channels, on a children's show nonetheless

Post subject:

The cult of Silent Hill also has some strong influences of Thelemanism in it.

Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
I have this idea that the religion is "founded" by European gypsy settlers. Which explains the mix between several beliefs.

And I always thought Dahlia looked like some sort of gypsy fortuneteller. :)

Post subject:

If I remember correctly Gyromancy is form of fortune telling that gypsies used.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

wth is thelemanism?
try googling it, there is no results

Post subject:

Quote:
wth is thelemanism?

I wanna know that 2.

Because I wasn't very clear the first time I posted my question,here it is again,my question was,What, if it was written down in a book of rules and pryers, what real world religion would it most resemble most?

I would like to pose one more question in this thread, instead of wasting space else where.

Would you be able to commit to this reilgion,totaly and completly the way it's followers did?

Or,to make it easier, Would you be a die hard beliver, like dahlia or personalize the religion the way you see fit,like vincent?

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jan 2005
Notes left: 1696
Last seen at: Калинингра́д, Россия
Ulver09 wrote:

I think you're right, Ulver....If I remember correctly, doesn't Dahlia mention it?
I think she says something to the effect of-"It was foretold by gyromancy"....Or something..
Well, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Oct 2004
Notes left: 2132
Last seen at: In the Cave of Rendezvous
Every religion in this world has changed through it's own history. New ones have emerged from already existed.

The thing about Silent Hill is that it is taking a few things from almost every religion in this world. But the entire thing by it's own, is an original thing.
Team silent created their own mythology.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Harry'sGirl wrote:
Or,to make it easier, Would you be a die hard beliver, like dahlia or personalize the religion the way you see fit,like vincent?

I think a lot of the followers really think that the religion is a sham (not the "paradise" that it looks like) but they uphold it anyway for reasons of politics or power I think that Vincent falls into this category. (think of the necromonger "religion" from Chronicles of Riddick, some ppl knew it was b.s. but they still remained faithful for their own reasons)

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Sep 2003
Notes left: 744
Last seen at: the happiest place on earth, michigan
F wrote:
The entire Kaballah.

I've read some transcripts of the Kabbalah and it's very similar to some of the things that the cults practice in Silent Hill.

Post subject:

Ulver09 wrote:

That is correct. It is a technique that can be used for divination and for contacting the spirits and 'whatnots'.
And it really works in practice - I've experienced it myself - but that's another story....

Post subject:

Quote:

That is correct. It is a technique that can be used for divination and for contacting the spirits and 'whatnots'.
And it really works in practice - I've experienced it myself - but that's another story....

How does it work?

Post subject:

There's different ways of doing it, but the basic method is to draw a circle with the all the letters of the alphabet around it and invoke the spirits in order to ask them a question, after which the person preforming the séance walks around inside the circle until that person "feels" the need to stop or stumble on to the letter, which after numerous stops and stumbling produce an answer. The letters can also be replace with words or people, all depending on what you want to use it for.

This should not be attempted. Seriously. It can be very dangerous. The person in the circle allows whatever is out there to possess him or her, to some degree, in order to get the message through.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jan 2004
Notes left: 445
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
F wrote:
The entire Kaballah.

Not entirely.
Its hodgepodge. Definately has some cabalistic inspiration, but there's native american stuff, I notice even greek stuff in there, it's not limited to any single religion.
And about the guy who said there's thelemite elements, WTF?!
Not meaning to sound cocky here (although I do), I am the ex cerminonial magician here.
BTW, Thelema is the religion started by Alistar Crowely, Very heavily influenced by egyption dieties.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

B5160-R wrote:
There's different ways of doing it, but the basic method is to draw a circle with the all the letters of the alphabet around it and invoke the spirits in order to ask them a question, after which the person preforming the séance walks around inside the circle until that person "feels" the need to stop or stumble on to the letter, which after numerous stops and stumbling produce an answer. The letters can also be replace with words or people, all depending on what you want to use it for.

This should not be attempted. Seriously. It can be very dangerous. The person in the circle allows whatever is out there to possess him or her, to some degree, in order to get the message through.

uhh.... so basically its like walk-around Ouija Board hopscotch?

Ouija Boards are totally bogus, and gypsies like to physically and sexually abuse bears, thats no good.

Last edited by Biomechanical on 12 Nov 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:

I don't care what you think.

And that's a very disrespectful - unneeded for too - comment about gypsies.
Please constrain yourself from posting stupid shit such as that in the future.