Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Oct 2018

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Fan-Written Silent Hill Novels?

Missing since: 06 Mar 2005
Notes left: 537
Last seen at: Somewhere?
What gets me is how many there are. I know several resident people including myself have used Silent Hill as a means to practice, I owe about 60'000 words in the rough to Silent Hill 3 - and I'm only just now getting to Silent Hill!

I wonder if Konami of America is gonna hire some hack to write game-novels after the movie comes out and makes it big.

Or, like Gans says, the fanbase is so vicious they're all better off not even touching them, lest something be represented wrongly and somebody gets burnt at the stake. (I would NEVER, EVER think about writing Silent Hill 2 in that regard... people fight enough over the true ending as it is!)

I don't know, I'd be pretty driven to finish the other half of Silent Hill 3 if in an alternate dimension I was actually able to publish it for the "greater good" - and some pocket change.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
I find it unlikely that there'd be any novel adaptations. Hopefully. I wouldn't read them if there were--well, maybe one, but I'd take it in stride; wouldn't consider it a part of the Silent Hill universe.

A few months back I was working on the novelization of The Room. I liked it. It's interesting, at least. It might still be laying round the Indian Runner. I couldn't decide on one of the endings--since they all, you know, suck--so I had an idea for my own. Would've been neat to pull off too, considering how it'd hafta be done.

But I won't get into that.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

I suppose only the first game could ever really be novelized successfully, considering we know what happens and all.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I believe the second game could be novelized.

I have almost 80,000 words to that effect. And you know what? Even though I've deviated from the game on several occasions, the feedback I recieve on my novelization is almost 100% positive.

This may change once people see the ending I've chosen. Though I have been debating as to whether or not I should, as a bonus, write chapters for the other endings as well. The one I've chosen is the one I'm sticking with, and anyone who's ever seen me discuss the topic knows already which it will be.

But yeah, I think it can be done. I just don't think most people can do it the way it should be. I guess I sound full of hubris by saying so, but besides Drewfus' SH1 novelization, I never read even one that I thought was any good, because the writers lack the descriptive talent and the pacing required to do the game justice.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

But what about mine!?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

I don't know, I just got here. Haha...

The whole reason I even wrote Silent Hill 3 up to it's midpoint was to practice for something of my own, and I think it got the job done. Even though some random people on deviantart cheered me on in the beginning saying I was good etc. I can see a few glaring flaws in the first 13 of 30 parts that need fixing.

Guess that's the next thing it's gonna teach me. What it's like to edit a mass of words...

No rush.

Well, that and it kinda ticks me off I can't DO anything with it. I'm serious about becoming a writer and getting published and all, which shocks people because in reality I'm a real goof, so they tell me it's like seeing some Noir film and finding out it's directed by Eddie Murphy.

I just gotta go back and fix that first few so people don't underestimate the rest of it...

That's the hardest part about anything you do, no matter what it isn't good enough to yourself - though tons of random idiots like to go ZOMG IT'S SO NOICE.

If it makes them happy huh?

Why'd you guys even do it?

Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
But what about mine!?

I later added "and the Adversary's novelization of SH4" in there in extra-tiny font.

Honestly, I read the first chapter of yours, and then I couldn't find it again when I looked for it.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

The Room.

I began writing mine because I hated playing Silent Hill 4, and thought it'd work better as novel.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Last edited by The Adversary on 15 Feb 2006, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:

Geocities wrote:
Sorry, the page you requested was not found. Idiota!

RESPECT
 Post subject:

That's because geocities is retahded. Gah. Try it now.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Last edited by The Adversary on 15 Feb 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 1218
Last seen at: deepest recess of Walters mind... I got a train here :D
I think taht once the movie comes out, there will be a novelisation of that, there always is ...

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
? ... No there isn't. Most films today are based off of books because there's little to no originality with filmmakers. And if it wasn't a book, it's a remake or a sequel.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
No one mentioned mine. *cries*

Hate you all.... *sniffle*

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Ahem.

Alone in the Town said this:
Quote:
I guess I sound full of hubris by saying so, but besides Drewfus' SH1 novelization, I never read even one that I thought was any good...

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Last edited by The Adversary on 15 Feb 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
!!!!!!

<3 to Tommy! :)

Alone's is good, as begrudgingly I admit it. You should check it out.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 1218
Last seen at: deepest recess of Walters mind... I got a train here :D
well, they made novelisations of the resident evil movies, and the alien versus predator etc, etc. So I thought some writer would snap up teh chance to novelise the film.

Post subject:

alone in the town wrote:
but besides Drewfus' SH1 novelization, I never read even one that I thought was any good, because the writers lack the descriptive talent and the pacing required to do the game justice.

But you said you liked mine.. :( Lol! It's not silent hill anymore anyway; actually, it's nothing anymore. Haven't wrote in it since.. 2005.

I think it can be done; you just have to dig deep into the story, have a knowledge of the english language, and don't make it sound all cool and crap. Of course, I think it's better to leave it to the creators, but; I've read some that were pretty good; Alone's and Drew's were the best I've read. I'll check out Advesary's soon too.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Dec 2005
Notes left: 454
Last seen at: NYC
I wrote a thing about the Rebirth ending a thousand years ago that tied 2 to 3 - Supplanter. That whole burned-at-the-steak thing worries me though, so I'm not so sure what to do with it at this point other than leave it be. >_>
I'm not so sure how I feel when it comes to SH novelizashun. I'd have to see what else the author has written. Like, if Mr. King wanted to take a crack at it, then that would be a nono.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jan 2005
Notes left: 745
Last seen at: Bergen Street
I started writing one about 5 years ago about a young man suffering from memory lapses and such and losing consciousness going to a local hospital. He then wakes up in Brookhaven and the place is obviously deserted.

Then 28 Days Later came out, and I felt cheated, so I stopped writing it.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Nov 2009
Notes left: 128
Last seen at: Centennial, Co
I vote some of you take the time to read the fanfic chapter I posted, not for fame but for entertainment :o