Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 Jul 2017

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3

Missing since: 16 Mar 2011
Notes left: 3
Hello everybody, I'm kind of new to this forum and the silent hill series and I was wondering which of these two games I should buy first. I have played the first Silent Hill game along with Homecoming, but I hear that the 3rd and 2nd games are the best. From what Ive read Silent Hill 2 is considered the best game because of its superb story, however a friend of mine prefers Silent Hill 3. I'm getting mixed reactions of Silent Hill 3 Alot of people seem to like it, but at the same time a good amount of people claim it was the worst in the series, which I cant honestly understand why. If you guys could help a new fan of the series out by saying which of the 2 you prefer and the reasons why you like it over the other I would be very appreciative.

(Please dont say I should get 2 because it comes first in the series as it doesnt affect 3 at all).

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5076
Well, since you seem to want to get both, it kinda makes the question seem less significant. Rather than give you a straight-up suggestion based on my opinions, I'll ask you a few questions to help you decide based on your own tastes:

Are you more interested, at this very second, in seeing whether SH2 is really the cat's meow? Or are you more interested in seeing what happens after Harry Mason leaves Silent Hill? Do you prefer a more brooding, depressive mood (SH2)? Or do you prefer something more active and terrifying (SH3)? Do you value story most in a game (SH2)? Or do you value terror and tight gameplay (SH3)? Do you think there aren't enough female protagonists in video games (SH3)?

Hope that brings you closer to a decision.

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1874
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Get Silent Hill 2 if:
-you like strong plot
-you don't mind games being sort of easy
-you want a less traditional approach to survival horror
-mood is important in games to you
-you like movies that make you tense/uneasy
-you like "cool" colors

Get Silent Hill 3 if:
-you really liked 1
-you like games with more challenge
-you enjoy gritty environments
-you like great graphics/models/textures
-you like horror/scary films
-you like "warm" colors

Both are fantastic titles, but they do things rather differently. Not so much in the gameplay department but more in the themes, tone, and look of the games.
You're likely to enjoy either, but I personally recommend Silent Hill 2, as it is my favorite.

Edit: If you get one and don't like it, don't write off the other too quickly. The Silent Hill series has a pretty varied flavor from one game to the next, some more than others, and you might really enjoy the title you didn't pick up.
If you really liked 1 and homecoming, I think you'll find yourself enjoying Silent Hill 3 just fine.

Just Passing Through

So basically Silent Hill 3 is more difficult and scary, but Silent Hill 2 has a better story and atmosphere?

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5076
Within the bounds of your tastes, more or less. SH2's atmosphere is more subdued, while SH3's is more like... well... SH1's. They're both very atmospheric, just in different ways. SH3 is definitely more difficult.

I would say SH2 has the better story, but part of it depends on what you prefer in stories. Would you rather look more deeply into a person's psyche? If so, go to SH2. If you'd rather explore groups, go for SH3.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
They're both great games. And even though I think SH3 is the more intense game, and possibly the scariest, SH2 is still a pretty damn scary game. It helps that they both have terrific soundtracks.

Personally, I'd say play SH2 first. Not because it's better, but just because that's the order in which the games came out and you might as well try to get the same experience that people had when those games were new. At least, that's what I'd wanna do. I'm sure you'll probably want to play them both anyway, so no reason not to play them in order.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1234
Buy them both...they're both dirt cheap now if you can still find them....and i'd start off with prt2....while prt2 does a have a great storyline, i think it's a bit overrated, but it is better than what you'll see in prt3, but the overall art direction and creepy factor is 3 times more intense than what you'll see in prt2,...both games are great tho and i'd play them in order just to see the graphical upgrade transgression between prt2 and prt3...

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3828
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
They are both great, of course im not gonna lie im a little biased towards 3 since it's my favorite but i'll make an argument for each.

Silent hill 2, as you have heard and many others have said the story is great, and the way it's set up is really what makes the story great. It has great music, and the graphics are pretty damn good. It's pretty creepy at times, and the atmosphere has a dream gone wrong feel to it(well to me it does), it also has a sad feel to it. The scares in this game are a little more subtle than SH3 but still very effective. I will say that i thought james wasn't a very likable protagonist, actually i didn't really care much for any of the characters in the game, they weren't bad, just sort of meh to me. The gameplay is pretty much the same as SH3, but it's not as hard. Oh yeah and of course pyramid head is creepy(extremely overrated in silent hill but still pretty creepy)

Now on to SH3. SH3's story, is good(some say it's bad but i don't think so) i'm not a huge fan of the cult thing though. Like SH2 the music is great, and the graphics are honestly the best in the series. The art style they used is very vivid, gritty, and effective, especially in the alternate worlds. As for the scare factor, i honestly think SH3 is hands down the scariest in the series. It uses some of the most unsettling sounds, and it has some of the most disturbing visuals(which is one reason i said the art style is really effective). While i said that SH2 has a dream gone wild feel and is a little more subtle, SH3 has kind of a mix. A lot of the time it's scares are more in your face and relentless(and by in your face i don't mean cheap jump scares, just more direct) and it's alternate worlds can give you the feeling that everything hates you, they feel very angry. But it also has some moments where it does use subtle scares as well. I thought it was extremely effective, and i consider the scares the strongest part of the game(not to say that the other parts of the game are weak). I can honestly say that i've never seen anything remotely close the alternate worlds of SH3. Unlike SH2 I actually liked the main characters in this game, IMO Heather is the most realistic protagonist in the series. The other characters are decent, i didn't mind douglas. Also I found valtiel to be just as creepy(if not more creepy) than pyramid head.

I rank SH3 as the best SH game and SH2 as the second best. It does kind of depend on what you like. I put higher value on the disturbing atmosphere of the game and the actual horror factor of a game, so i would consider SH3 better. I enjoyed the storyline of both games but i will admit that SH2's storyline is very unique and is better than SH3's.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
Providence King wrote:
So basically Silent Hill 3 is more difficult and scary, but Silent Hill 2 has a better story and atmosphere?

Pretty damn much yep. Personally I think SH2 is the scariest in the series, but that's pretty rare, most would say 1 or 3. I even like the graphics in 2 better, but that's even more rare, if not completely unique.

Of course I'm going to vote Silent Hill 2 as it's my favorite game of all time. :roll: I would give SH2 a 9.6, and SH3 an 8.6. (Btw I would give SH1 a 9.5 and it's my 3rd favorite game of all time)

SH2 is very slow paced and realistic, more like reading a book, while SH3 is more like a horor movie, and is more in your face. I personally prefer SH2, I don't like most horror movies actually.

SH2 has a personal psychological story, while SH3 has a cult story and is a sequel to SH1 (which I reccomend playing first).

The main things SH3 has going for it is that the graphics are technically better, the story beomes very involving, and there's lots of replay value. It's also the only SH where you can play as a girl, the otherworlds are well done, the game has some difficulty unlike 1 and 2 where you'll have a shnitzton of health drinks by the end on Hard mode. And it comes with a great soundtrack! However, the game is shorter than 2, and I think the first third of it kinda sucks personally, and it seems they sacraficed exploration of the town for amazing graphics. Plus, the soundtrack is great, but the music isn't as well incorporated as 2. And the ending is weak, I try to think of the scene before the final boss as the ending.

In the end, SH3 just doesn't feel like it has as much depth and emotion as 2. 3 definetly gets to me... just not in the same way. SH2 is just the most depressing and beautiful game ever to me.

But it's all up to you. To be quite honest, the combat in SH2 is boring, the game is very slow paced, the otherworlds aren't that shocking, and the game's easy as hell.

Just Passing Through

Thanks for the help guys, Ive decided I'm going to buy both of them because of the cheap price. :)

Missing since: 01 May 2006
Notes left: 1881
Last seen at: in the branches that blow
Once you play one of them, you're sure to get the other anyway. You'll be hooked :) Sure there is more hype about SH2 and I played that one first, then 3, and was never disappointed.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 28 Mar 2006
Notes left: 104
Both games are awesome but personally for me.

Silent Hill 2 > Silent Hill 3. :mrgreen:

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1874
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Providence King wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, Ive decided I'm going to buy both of them because of the cheap price. :)

Haha, well, glad you decided on both! I hope you enjoy them!

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Silent Hill 3 is scary and gorgeous graphically, but its story and characters are sorely lacking.

Silent Hill 2 isn't that "scary", but it's infinitely more engaging storywise and has far better characters and emotional impact than 3.

By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3219
Buying both is definitely the wisest choice. Both are great games, and rather than one being better than the other, I think they compliment each other well as they both aim to focus on different things. That being said, I lean more towards SH2 due to what I personally like about SH games.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 12 Jul 2009
Notes left: 379
Last seen at: Lower Hutt, New Zealand
They're both good.

Although both are a bit overrated.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 08 Oct 2009
Notes left: 88
I definitely prefer Silent Hill 2 over Silent Hill 3, but I love them both.

While Silent Hill 3 is more intense and a fair bit harder, I didn't really get that into the story and some of the locations near the start of the game I didn't like that much. Wasn't a fan of most of the characters either, though Vincent was pretty funny. Also I wish more time was spent in the actual town of Silent Hill and you were able to explore it a bit more like in the first two games. Various little things about the game really bother me but probably not worth mentioning most of them as it's still an amazing game. The atmosphere, graphics/sound are amazing, and some of the enemies are among the scariest in the series history in my opinion (though there are a couple I thought were kinda crap at the same time). The boss fights are great for the most part, and the otherworld is amazing, especially in the later parts of the game. And the otherworld etc. has alot more in common with the first Silent Hill game than Silent Hill 2 did, though I vastly prefer Silent Hill to Silent Hill 3, and I'd struggle to choose between Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. But if you played the original and liked it, you should like alot of things about Silent Hill 3, at least visually.

Silent Hill 2 is just incredible, for mostly different reasons than Silent Hill 3. It's probably all been said before, but the game just has such a unique feel and I thought the story was alot more cohesive and engaging than Silent Hill 3. The atmosphere is more subtle, but I prefer that, because when playing Silent Hill 2 it can really draw you into the game, whereas with Silent Hill 3 you'll ultimately just feel like you're playing a video game rather than being completely captivated by it (though maybe others would disagree) and when the intensity level is so high you kinda adjust to it or become desensitized somewhat after a while. Whereas Silent Hill 2 manages to keep a more steady sense of fear and dread that doesn't peak as often as in Silent Hill 3 but is more effective when it does, in my opinion.
I also really like how the game progresses, and on my repeat playthroughs I really started to appreciate how naturally you progress from one part to the next. It never felt like you were basically going from one level to the next the way Silent Hill 3 (and 4) did, it all makes sense and really feels like a journey.

I'd really recommend getting both games, but if you could only get one I'd get SH2. And if you get them both I'd definitely recommend playing SH2 first. For one thing, experiencing the intensity of Silent Hill 3 before playing Silent Hill 2 could potentially take away from the fear factor a bit, as SH2 is alot less "in your face" for the most part. But I know that heaps of people prefer SH3 to SH2, so you might be one of them... but I'd definitely recommend playing them both.

Missing since: 20 Aug 2003
Notes left: 4728
Last seen at: H-Town
A few years ago I would've said SH2 for sure, but now I consider both equally great.

The story is by far better in SH2, but the main character (James) -- I think -- is lacking personality. I'm just not feeling his struggle; I can't sympathize with him. Sure, it can be argued whether or not it's essential to the story at hand, but to me he's kind of an idiot at times.

Heathers character, on the other hand, is given a lot more attention and thus I can identify myself with her. What the story is lacking Heathers character makes up for. It doesn't hurt that the graphics in SH3 is quite possible the best for any PS2 game ever.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 09 May 2008
Notes left: 507
I feel like if there are any 2 games that can be easily compared, it is these 2. They are both similar graphically and have pretty great stories. They are like twins that look different (one is slightly hotter), but give you a similar feeling.

Personally, I like SH3 slightly more because of the art style implemented versus the one used in SH2.

And that.
And that.
...and that.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 12 Mar 2011
Notes left: 35
Last seen at: Australia
I never got to play 1 you lucky bastards so I would go 2 then 3 and 0 (great in an old school/new sort of way) then 4 (because you will end up going for the whole series anyway) also try shattered memories (has kind of a love/hate thing with members on these boards but I enjoyed it) then fingers crossed for downpours outcome.