Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Aug 2017

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
NeoAquarius12 wrote:
I feel like if there are any 2 games that can be easily compared, it is these 2. They are both similar graphically and have pretty great stories. They are like twins that look different (one is slightly hotter), but give you a similar feeling.

Really? I think of SH2 and SH3 as opposites in many ways. SH2 is the subtle, slow paced book-like one and SH3 is the in your face, fast paced horror movie one. I would say that SH3 feels more like SH1 and maybe SH4 than 2 (not that 4 wasn't subtle).

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Apr 2004
Notes left: 313
I would start with the second game. It's pretty much in-and-of-itself. You don't need any of the other games to get into it.

The third game doesn't require you to play the first, but it helps to make sense of everything. Eventually though, the main character in three explains pretty much everything you need to know thus far. Or, if you know about silent hill one, I would suggest playing three first.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3823
B5160-R wrote:
A few years ago I would've said SH2 for sure, but now I consider both equally great.

The story is by far better in SH2, but the main character (James) -- I think -- is lacking personality. I'm just not feeling his struggle; I can't sympathize with him. Sure, it can be argued whether or not it's essential to the story at hand, but to me he's kind of an idiot at times.

Heathers character, on the other hand, is given a lot more attention and thus I can identify myself with her. What the story is lacking Heathers character makes up for. It doesn't hurt that the graphics in SH3 is quite possible the best for any PS2 game ever.

Pretty much this.

Over the years, Silent Hill 3 has actually gone on to become my favorite game in the series. Any time I feel like having a stroll down memory lane and playing through one of the original titles, I always find myself reaching for 3. Sure, the story is a little weak, compared to the other original games, but it far exceeds any other Silent Hill title in almost every other aspect. The characters, environments, atmosphere, sound design, the overall art design... it's all top notch. It's everything that I personally could ask for in a Silent Hill game.

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
I preferred Silent Hill 3 to Silent Hill 2. I just felt it had a better atmosphere and plot; while SH2 was also great, it just didn't strike me as "amazing" as the majority of the fans see it.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
I think the reason I prefer to play Silent Hill 3 over any of the other games is just because there's something about Heather that makes me want to play as her.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3828
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
^That something is probably personality, and realism.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 02 Jan 2010
Notes left: 1725
Last seen at: Canadiania
I was never a fan of SH3. It reminded me too much of your typical haunted house horror flick. On a subjective level, SH2 evolved beyond being a "horror game" and became something else altogether--a dramatic, emotional piece of art (oh god that sounds so fanboy-ish). It really got to me. With SH3, while I enjoyed Heather as a character, I didn't get that feeling.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 04 Aug 2016
Notes left: 36
I hate to necro this thread, but whatever. Anyway, both are incredibly good games. Silent Hill 2 is more depressing, and in my opinion, way more surrealistic than Silent Hill 3. Especially as you near the end of the game. Silent Hill 3 is more terrifying due to the oppressive atmosphere and monsters. Playing as Heather makes it more terrifying to fight giant terrifying monsters. However, Silent Hill 2 is far more disturbing and unnerving. Both do incredibly well with sound design and atmosphere to the point where it really becomes subjective as to which one you enjoy more. I loved both of them, but personally I'd have to choose 2. It's depressing and disturbing nature were more unnerving to me than the terrifying/outright hellish atmosphere of Silent Hill 3.