Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Oct 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: So, you want to be a Silent Hill theorist.

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Team "The Extra M is for AwesoMe." :)

No...!

Team Tom! :D

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 06 Nov 2010
Notes left: 657
I'm tired of this shiz. Someone needs to just up and make a video now! I could, idk when I'd have time though, and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable at all about the subject as most people who post here.

I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.

Also, I recommend these videos take the style of Günther music videos. This is The Adversary we're talking about. :P

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 16 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1129
I will film this if someone writes up a script. In all seriousness... There is a camera in my room that takes fairly decent audio and video, and I can stage a show far better than TwinPerfect ever could imagine on their dingy couch. I also won't break any Silent Hill DVDs to make a frail point.

Just putting it out there.

Also, refreshments could or could not be involved.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 25 May 2009
Notes left: 276
Personally, I'd opt for something with SIlent Hill in the title just to be practical and would help get more views when people go to search "Silent Hill".

Perhaps: SilentHillUniverse, SilentHillExposed...something along those lines. Basically include something in the name every SH fan should be familiar with.

Might come across as "too authorative" or "smug", but to me if somebody were to go to the trouble of making videos for Silent Hill fans there you may as well put a bit of effort into trying to put the word out there.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7963
Last seen at: Nowhere
I thought I had a post in this thread....

Some videos explaining things with the notorious (in the good "side" of the word) members of this very forum would definitely get my approval. And a subscription or two... ;)

Seriously, what are ya'll waiting for?

Subway Guard

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
wonder's boy wrote:
I will film this if someone writes up a script. In all seriousness... There is a camera in my room that takes fairly decent audio and video, and I can stage a show far better than TwinPerfect ever could imagine on their dingy couch. I also won't break any Silent Hill DVDs to make a frail point.

Just putting it out there.

Also, refreshments could or could not be involved.

I'd help you out with anything you do covering the movie.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 16 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1129
I'm game. What came to mind recently is that several people could film this thing, and each "host" on the video could cover a specific game, character, theory, idea, monster, etc., and these videos could be edited and complied by someone talented in that department. Of course, we'd probably benefit from some coordinators with a healthy and hearty knowledge of all things Silent Hill, so that we may portray the franchise as less biased and false, and more accurate as far as what we know as facts, and more flexible and respectful as far as theories go.

What do ya'll think? I hope I'm not just dreaming, here.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 02 Feb 2010
Notes left: 135
Last seen at: Arizona Bay
It's also a good idea to have an interest and background in stuff related to Silent Hill. The main ones being cultural anthropology, history,sociology, theology, symbology, psychology, and philosophy. Or in lay man's terms "philosophy and religion!". (Some background into the scientific method is needed.)

There's tons of on and offline academia. And JSTOR of course. You're gonna wanna cite your sources and make sure it's crediable. One think about saying stuff, even outside of SH, if you're asserting it as fact know where this belief comes from and why you believe it, cite when someone is doubtful.

Healthy skepticism is a good thing. Don't be afraid to be wrong or refine yourself. If you never fail, you cannot self-improve. In this you will need feedback and constructive criticism. Also, learn to pick and choose your battles.

Remember people are entitled to believe whatever they wish no matter how silly. You're not entitled to respect someone for acting the fool, however. The more you push your beliefs on people, the more you tend to drive them away. Rather constructivly critize. Add substance and reasoning for your views, don't mindlessly bash and refrine from being a bigot. (Fighting bigotry with bigotry is like using "NO U" every debate--it never ends.)

Yes, I've debated tons. With SH and with out. I actually love to debate and discuss theories. Some of my best debates is when someone gets me to re-evaluate my position.

P.s. It's alright to be firm in your opinion. You don't have to agree with someone to get along with them.

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:
Yeah, TwinPerfect is SO right that they even say Konami is wrong. Imagine that!

If last night's facebook drama isn't enough to know that Twin Perfect is never "wrong".

Image"Lowlifes... Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one you've condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now?"

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
I think there should be a guide to teach people how to provide constructive criticism to the beginner theorists. Many people have the potential to become great theorists with a little bit of practice, but not many are able to get passed the hardships of being torn a new one. Sure, you can advise those people to grow thicker skin and bigger balls, but it would be really helpful if the veterans paid more attention to helping them out instead of crushing their spirits to give themselves an ego boost.

One of the things that I've noticed before is that when a veteran proceeds to tear someone a new one for their "sorry" attempt at a theory, many others take that as an invitation to do the same. It doesn't matter that these other people never wrote a damn theory in their life, but it just feels like a fun thing to do. That's not very helpful.

As far as the guidelines go, I think they are good advice for intermediates, who have already had experience to creating several theories. I think you'd be asking a bit much for first-timers. The level of entry is pretty damned high if you're asking them to go through years worth of threads and read up on Silent Hill Chronicle and the other supplementary material online.

For the first-time theorists, I think it's more important to get them enjoying and building up on their abilities as they move along. If I thought writing a theory was a chore, I wouldn't have even started. If you're a seasoned veteran, I think it's important that you be able to congratulate them where they succeeded but provide constructive criticism where they can use improvement.

Unless they're doing it for the fallatio, of course.

Just Passing Through

^I think there has to be a certain personal philosophy that is alright with constructive criticism and feedback. I think some people just aren't the types to be theorists. A lot of it you do have to have thicker skin than normal and learn not to take most of it personally.

I've got a book about assertiveness that says you should remain firm in your opinions unless new information comes forth. (Some things will always be opinion though, such as likes/dislikes and certain conclusions.) I like this view. It also says not to be passive, aggressive, or worst, passive-aggressive.

Image"Lowlifes... Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one you've condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now?"

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Nov 2011
Notes left: 398
Edea wrote:
If last night's facebook drama isn't enough to know that Twin Perfect is never "wrong".
So what happened this time?

Just Passing Through

Augophthalmoses wrote:
Edea wrote:
So what happened this time?

That was posted back when the Jeremy incident with the otherworld happened.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 11 Feb 2012
Notes left: 6
I came to this forum to discuss a theory with you guys, and no one seems interested =[

Here you go.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24321&p=641653#p641653

if anyone is interested, in you know, that game called Silent Hill, excuse me for going off topic though, I'll discuss My Little Pony afterwards since this is the forum to do so .... /SARCASM FRENZY

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
No one's interested because your thread was a formatting nightmare. It is difficult to read, let alone understand.

Also, you might want to give it a little more than two hours.

I'll say this, though: The guy actually made me scroll to the top of the page to see if I posted any My Little Pony picture-emoticons or references.

Nope, just a Gunther reference. I'm sad, now.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
Ryan, I wish I had read your post two years ago, when I'd first joined. MAN, that would have made my first time here a lot easier! :)

You know, if you need anyone to discuss crackpot theories with for the prospective, semi-imaginary e-show, I'm your man! I've been known to create the occasional demented theory, so I think I might be able to deconstruct some, as well. :3

@Kenji: We do have a MLP thread, you know.

Anyway, the key to making a good theory (or even a BAD theory, as TwinPerfect is fond of doing, the assholes) is bringing up enough supporting material to make your theory work. If all you've got is a gut feeling, you'll be ripped a proverbial new one.

^ And I think I was more-or-less the cause of it.

So, yeah.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 22 Aug 2009
Notes left: 273
Last seen at: Iraq
You have some nice points there but you mentioned "Some guys give praise ...etc. yet you might not get their praise easily" now why should I care if they like what I write or not?

I'm not posting a theory to gain the respect of a certain slice of the Silent Hill community, I write to explain something the way I understood it and if someone's there to like it, they can feel free to enjoy and base their own theories on it and if they don't, they can just ignore and it find another.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
He's writing it based on experience on the forum. Lots of people have gotten really offended, irritable, or impatient because no one was commenting on the theory or it didn't get as nice a reaction that believe it deserved.

And most people, by the act of putting something out there for other people to read, indicate that they are invested in how people will respond.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next