Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 13 Dec 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
SH fans are too divided over what makes the game feel like a "silent hill," so I doubt collectively we'd ever be happy. Some of the fans that are more story obsessed will praise when the gameplay is clunky (Downpour), which makes the few of us that care about combat/gameplay scratch our heads. Honestly, this series had a good run. I'd love to see a new game, but I'm all for letting it die at this point.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2868
Frankly, I think there would be just as much division in the fan base if Silent Hills had actually come out.

Screenplay Archaeology Podcast - PUNISHER EPISODE IS UP!

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1239
You will always have division within the fan-base, but i think SH's would have been a natural progression to the series. For once we would have had a SH game that was given the proper resources to stand out as an AAA property rather than be a cheaply made or budget minded project.

All of the SH games took a nosedive in quality after the first 4 games....those games wasn't necessarily bad, but there was something amiss in all of those titles....Konami receives something stellar in P.T. and then they proceed to cancel thee entire project....-_-

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 May 2006
Notes left: 1351
Last seen at: a sanctuary for ...no wait - fuck off I have enough friends
Skele wrote:
SH fans are too divided over what makes the game feel like a "silent hill," so I doubt collectively we'd ever be happy. Some of the fans that are more story obsessed will praise when the gameplay is clunky (Downpour), which makes the few of us that care about combat/gameplay scratch our heads. Honestly, this series had a good run. I'd love to see a new game, but I'm all for letting it die at this point.

Skele, me old mucker -I completely agree. Nostalgia was reinvigorated with Origins and then brutally destroyed with Downpour. It's had its run and while it was good, I don't think Konami has shown much of a shit really for the original fans. Like all good things I suppose - it has come to an end. Seeing the short-sightedness in this company it doesn't surprise me. I hope Hideo Kojima burns them to the ground and pisses on their ashes to be honest. It's what they both deserve.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 30 Jan 2011
Notes left: 250
Last seen at: Gnashville, TN
I agree with clips. Given the resources, Silent Hill could be truly inventive again, as we saw with PT. There's been enough time since Downpour that I think most fans would embrace a soft reboot, as long as it didn't go too action heavy. It is possible to incorporate fluid gameplay with inventive storytelling.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I personally feel that the franchise is dead. It's been five years since the last major release and we're at the point where there's no rational cause to expect another at any point in the future.

I mourn P.T. because just that small tidbit was more enjoyably horrorific than most other Silent Hill games. And, with the long eye of hindsight and experience, I really think that Silent Hill 2 reigns supreme, is an experience far deeper and more complex than any other Silent Hill came close to being (save for SM), and in fact SH2 was such a coup that the entire history of the franchise after that point could be summed up as "trying to recapture that lightning", mostly with mixed results.

I don't really think of "first four, last four" anymore really. There's SH2, then Shattered Memories, and then a bunch of other games that ranged from poor to decent.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

It's the fact that PT got such a positive reception and was so genuinely frightening that makes me think there's more that can be done. If people like Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro were still interested so recently, that tells me some in the industry still have new stories to tell. Maybe someone would have to pry the rights out of Konami's lifeless fingers, but I continue to hope it's not dead. I do agree SH2 is the high water mark, though. It's the only one I still get the urge to play again occasionally.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I agree that there are more stories to tell, but I don't think they will take place in the Silent Hill universe.

And, I'm okay with that. We're at the point with the franchise where you either completely reinvent it, or continue with games that are weighed down by the fat and sweaty bulk of 20 years of canon.

If you're going to reboot, might as well do something entirely new.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

I see your point, and it does make sense. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. For a while, when we were still getting Silent Hills, I had a pet theory about the name. The plural may have meant they were going to use parallel realities and just soft reboot. I still think something like that could work, but maybe using the name Silent Hill really isn't worth the baggage they'd have to take on.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 May 2006
Notes left: 1351
Last seen at: a sanctuary for ...no wait - fuck off I have enough friends
Ryantology wrote:
I don't really think of "first four, last four" anymore really. There's SH2, then Shattered Memories, and then a bunch of other games that ranged from poor to decent.

*nods* I can agree with that. Depending on your preference to which game tickled your fancy, I will concede that SH2 was probably the best of all and I adore 1 and like 3 a whole lot - but 2 was pretty excellent and Shattered Memories is worth a replay for filling in the gaps and the general ambience it created (as well as a beaut soundtrack).

There's no conceivable direction for Silent Hill to travel to anymore --it feels like it's all been visited/revisited, exhumed and cremated past the point of no return. Time to say you loved it, then respect it and lay it to rest.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1239
I agree....SH2 set the mark high for all other games to follow. I still don't think SH as a franchise is done tho. I still think there can be stories told just from the way this franchise is setup.

This series does not follow a strict set of rules, and it does not follow a permanent set of characters. You can have different characters and different storylines for every entry of the series. You can also be very creative in your approach...you can be brutally horrific with your displays of madness or it can disturbingly subtle.

This is why this franchise has lasting power. I have always compared this series to the old Twilight Zone episodes that used to come on back in the day. Each of those episodes featured a different storyline with different characters with some bizarre events happening within every episode.

Again it seems like everybody was trying to capture that magic after 2, but this franchise really gives you the opportunity to be very creative from a character and storyline standpoint...Konami has the franchise in a chokehold without realizing this series STILL has a ton of potential.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Jun 2016
Notes left: 1
I too mourn the loss of Silent Hills, and certainly wouldn't mind if the franchise were at least to be shelved for 5 or 6 years.

The series has certainly been mired by a number of problems, most notably over the last 5 or 6 years (with a buggy and lackluster Downpour, an incomplete HD collection, and the poor- if nonexistent reception of Book of Memories). I also resent the historical revisionism at play when it's claimed that only certain parties can make a real Silent Hill game, or that the Silent Hill series is about occultism, just to name a few examples.

I was still iffy about Silent Hill being rebooted, not because it didn't look fantastic, but it would forever be in the shadow of a section of the series with completely obsolete gameplay, and at times- not even great storytelling.

If it's time to let it go, I'm fine with that. There's a lot about the series I won't miss.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Disrupticon wrote:
it would forever be in the shadow of a section of the series with completely obsolete gameplay, and at times- not even great storytelling.

Maybe to the fans who have played every entry in the series, but I think to the general gaming public, PT was fresh and original regardless of it's ties to an aging franchise. The fact that most of the more recent games were so lackluster might actually work in Silent Hill's favor in the future, since the average gamer probably won't have played or maybe even heard of them.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7971
Last seen at: Nowhere
PT got all that attention thanks to Norman Reedus, Kojima and del Toro. Not because it was Silent Hill, let's face it.

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3216
Last seen at: United States, Texas
I'm just really sad that we'll never get a new game in the series due to Konami being a bunch of asshats.

I do agree that the series needed some new blood without having to abide by canon rules. It gives the developers a chance to try something fresh. Maybe Silent Hills could have been shit, or it could have been amazing, but it certainly was genuinely unstelling in a way that recent installments were not.

Until you are near

Cafe5to2 Waitress

@Mephisto: I don't know, anyone I knew who played it (an admittedly small sample size) recommended it to others simply based on how incomprehensible and terrifying it was. I'm sure those high-profile names attached helped drum up a lot of buzz in the industry at large, but to Sir Averagesmith Gamerfort, Esq. it was the fear and the mystery that made it exciting. Which is what drew us all to SH in the first place.

@aj4x94: I haven't given up hope that Konami will eventually sell the rights. I mean, what are they doing with them? A goddam pachinko machine? Yeah, that's worth their time.

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3216
Last seen at: United States, Texas
Don, Aman wrote:

@aj4x94: I haven't given up hope that Konami will eventually sell the rights. I mean, what are they doing with them? A goddam pachinko machine? Yeah, that's worth their time.

Yes, That's exactly what they're going to do, because it's safer to make steady money with the SH themed pachinko machines. More brands under their umbrella to make more machines with.

Fucking assholes.

Until you are near

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35