Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 25 Mar 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
I was SO excited to hear about the Silent Hill HD Collection... at first. I was gleefully imagining the remake of Silent Hill 1 I had always hoped for (instead of that shit-heap of a game they jokingly titled "Silent Hill": Shattered Memories). But no, they nixed that. SH2 & 3 were gonna be in there, though, so it was a consolation prize, I guess. :/ The new screenshots looked nice, and nothing seemed too different.

Then I heard the new voice acting.

Eddie sounds less disturbed and more sick. PHYSICALLY sick. Like a headcold. James sounds like Garra from Naruto. Mary actually sounded good, but as Maria, she was a little... off.

Okay, okay, I said, you've defiled Silent Hill 2. How's Silent Hill 3?

They won't say.

Then, a couple of days ago, I heard rumor of another game, called "Book of Memories." I was intreigued.

Then I actually watched the trailer. I nearly punched my fist through the monitor when they said "Top-down perspective." Then "Customize your own character," "Write in the book to change the past," and, finally, when he said "Multiplayer exclusive", I nearly had an aneurysm.

How do you feel about the newest additions to Silent Hill? Rage? Frustration? Disappointment? Or perhaps a positive emotion?

I don't count Downpour cause it looks good, sounds good, has a promising premise, and my hopes can't get much lower. :C

Last edited by WelcomeToNowhere on 26 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
The way people are reacting to the unpolished sample of an unfinished product leads me to conclude that some fans of this series really need to seek therapy. Like yesterday.

Also, there's so much bitching about everything having to do with Silent Hill that happened after 2003. Do we really need yet another thread for that purpose?

Or, can we dedicate this thread to be a catch-all for Silent Hill-related faneurysms and direct people to it when their maxipads get too soggy?

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11370
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Disappointed, sure. Saying that you feel ASHAMED over it is....taking things so seriously that I kind of want to back the hell away from you.

Overall, though, I think people need to CHILL THE FUCK OUT. Silent Hill has done magnitudes better than it had reasonable hopes to, especially in comparison to similar series that have gotten practically shafted and ignored (Forbidden Siren, Eternal Darkness, etc), and the fact that we are getting things that don't fit our perfect narrow boxes is just whiny bullshit. It's not like the old games are going to fucking disappear.

If you don't like something, that's your loss. You can call a game shit all you want, sure. I've done so. But I don't think anyone has the right to call down hellfire and shitstorms and end times revelations.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 03 Aug 2011
Notes left: 42
Last seen at: Bradbury St.
true Book of Memories will likely be lame, but the opportunity to create one's own character in a Silent Hill game is VERY intriguing to me. co-op, not so much.

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1873
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Downpour - Not ashamed. Looking forward to it, all korn aside.

SH2/3 Remake - I don't care one way or the other yet. I want to hear the voices in proper context, and we haven't gotten any great screens or videos for them yet.

Book of Memories - This is how I feel.

But, really, I don't care. I'm not getting a Vita, but I'm glad they're doing a different gameplay type. I don't know that this is really the best fit for SH, but at least it's not just another retread of what has already been done.

I think it's just a case of people flipping out at initial impressions, but I'm certain a large portion will still hold on to these feelings as time progresses (justified or not).
Just because they make it doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5059
This thread is so dramatic.

Once, I got angry because my girlfriend decided to drive across two states after midnight. That's because I was concerned for her safety.

Things like that are what get me angry.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 23 Dec 2006
Notes left: 821
Last seen at: Blackpool UK
Only thing from this franchise that makes me ashamed is the fans, the TwinPerfect kind of fans.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 22 Apr 2010
Notes left: 328
Last seen at: Minnesota, US
^ That. I hate those close minded people who worship team silent like gods, yet have NOTHING but negative things to say about every game after 4. The thought that only the Japanese can make a good horror game is completely absurd. It makes me think some of them never gave those games a chance. I mean, I had rather mixed feelings about Origins during my first playthrough, but instead of giving up on it after only half an hour, I finished it and ended up liking it.

I also don't like the people who bitch about how the combat in homecoming/mirror mechanic in origins/no combat in shattered memories, etc "Ruined Silent Hill forever." What these narrow minded individuals don't seem to understand is that the series needs to change over time to remain interesting. If the gameplay was exactly the same in each game, people would have gotten tired of it by now.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
alone in the town wrote:
The way people are reacting to the unpolished sample of an unfinished product leads me to conclude that some fans of this series really need to seek therapy. Like yesterday.

Also, there's so much bitching about everything having to do with Silent Hill that happened after 2003. Do we really need yet another thread for that purpose?

Or, can we dedicate this thread to be a catch-all for Silent Hill-related faneurysms and direct people to it when their maxipads get too soggy?

Ehh, yeah, I guess.

It doesn't look good, though. I mean, even trailers for the mediocre games looked nice. The first 4 games' trailers looked great. This one has a stupid premise and it doesn't really have anything to DO with Silent Hill. :/
EmilietheStrange wrote:
^ That. I hate those close minded people who worship team silent like gods, yet have NOTHING but negative things to say about every game after 4. The thought that only the Japanese can make a good horror game is completely absurd. It makes me think some of them never gave those games a chance. I mean, I had rather mixed feelings about Origins during my first playthrough, but instead of giving up on it after only half an hour, I finished it and ended up liking it.

I also don't like the people who bitch about how the combat in homecoming/mirror mechanic in origins/no combat in shattered memories, etc "Ruined Silent Hill forever." What these narrow minded individuals don't seem to understand is that the series needs to change over time to remain interesting. If the gameplay was exactly the same in each game, people would have gotten tired of it by now.

Okay, I understand, but I NEVER SAID that non-Japanese developers can't make horror games! All I'm saying is that the games that the American-based Climax and Double Helix studios make are of a radically different flavor of horror than I like in a Silent Hill game.

Origins was decent, but it took the storyline nowhere it hadn't already been, and you already KNEW how it would end: the good ending, with Cheryl getting adopted by Harry. Shattered Memories brought in that "helpless" feeling to SH, but the chase scenes gave you no time for exploration or subtle horror. And Homecoming... it looked nice, I guess, but it was rather formulaic (oh shit it's lost family member wandering thru fog, suddenly there are monsters, good guys are really bad guys, "x" was dead all along, you're really crazy, etc.) and it was all about "Boo Imma eat chu" jump-out hollywood scares.

And yes, I'm sorry, I said "ashamed" when I meant more like "disappointed." I'm only ashamed of Konami whoring out SH2 and SH3 for a quick buck. :/

MOD EDIT: Do NOT double post. Use the edit button. -HG

Subway Guard

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1504
Last seen at: Colombia
Yeah I'm so ashamed that I usually play the new games covering my head with a paper bag ...

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 06 Aug 2010
Notes left: 134
Last seen at: Brahms Police Department
Whos this twin perfect i keep hearing about ? I'm more or less weary than ashamed of the fans.They spend so much time nitpicking on what they don't like and they don't even try to find somthing positive. Take the hd collection for example. They made me more apreciative of my ps2 copies. see ? that was just off the top of my head. Fans just wanna bitch, bitch, bitch. Do i agree with how konami's handled things lately ? Of course not but i'm not going to let it sour how i view the whole series.

Edit: And By the way, Has team silent always consisted of the same people ?

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 30 Mar 2009
Notes left: 1081
Last seen at: North of The Wall
I really like both of Climax's offerings, more than I like SH3, which to me is just as formulaic and action oriented as Homecoming is. I think Downpour looks pretty damn good, I like the new voices for the HD collection (except Eddie's, obviously) and I'll probably even play Book of Memories because, if nothing else, it looks pretty fun.

And ride a pack of dogs

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1623
I wouldn't go so far as to say "ashamed". If anything, I'm more unexcited. So far, I haven't read anything about either the collection or Book of Memories to get me excited about them. I'll check them out eventually, but unlike the other SH games (1 through to 0rigins, Homecoming, and Shattered Memories) I won't be getting them so soon after release. I'm happy to wait, and maybe hire them or something. Having said all that though, I'm looking forward to playing Downpour. Sure, there are things I'm not excited about with Downpour (breakable weapons, for example), but from what I've read, the story has some promise. I won't be waiting to buy Downpour.
So, yeah, not ashamed, but not excited.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 07 Nov 2006
Notes left: 1076
Last seen at: indiana, u.s. of a
meh. l love the games either way. true l'm not too happy with the the impending changes, but, uhh, hmmm..forgot where l was going with that. l can't wait for downpour. been doing an off and on silent hill marathon for the past month in anticipation. as much as l wish they'd keep 2 and 3 intact, l'm too big a trophy whore to stay away. l'll play the audio of my ps2 with the visuals of my ps3 simultaneously so l can't tell the difference. just have to switch audio when the trophy pings are about to happen.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 09 Jun 2010
Notes left: 494
mr. mason wrote:
Whos this twin perfect i keep hearing about ? I'm more or less weary than ashamed of the fans.They spend so much time nitpicking on what they don't like and they don't even try to find somthing positive. Take the hd collection for example. They made me more apreciative of my ps2 copies. see ? that was just off the top of my head. Fans just wanna bitch, bitch, bitch. Do i agree with how konami's handled things lately ? Of course not but i'm not going to let it sour how i view the whole series.

Edit: And By the way, Has team silent always consisted of the same people ?

http://youtu.be/YMHMiyl4zLQ -The Real Silent Hill Experience
These guys, they've basically trivialized the entire series, and created a new generation of whiny fancunts...Watch the videos, just don't buy into their ridiculous arguments... They're pretty much as you described, too much time nitpicking over some of the most ridiculous shit...

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
The Team Silent followers will always be here. They always called the newest SH's BS and they always will. There's nothing really you can do about it.

And not, I'm not ashamed of the newest SH's. No matter how "bad" they get I'll never be ashamed. Just indifferent.

I don't think I want to comment the titles that aren't released yet. Before some of the previous games came out I thought Homecoming may be the best Silent Hill game. I rest my case.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 09 Jun 2010
Notes left: 494
Quote:
The Team Silent followers will always be here. They always called the newest SH's BS and they always will. There's nothing really you can do about it.

Exactly, it comes with the territory. Once you've been with the series for a while you get a little desensitized to an extent...

Last edited by Trauma_ on 25 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Missing since: 08 Feb 2004
Notes left: 1752
Hello overly dramatic fan complaining, haven't heard from you in about .05 seconds around here. How are you?

Ashamed is such a ridiculous word to use in this situation. This kind of thing isn't just around here though, it's getting kind of ridiculous to me how much I see fans of various games act like the companies are causing them DIRE PHYSICAL HARM because something isn't how they like it. Are the new voices a little off currently? Sure, but it's very obvious that they are very rough drafts. Do I worry about some of the characters? Well since we've only heard stuff from 2 there's only one character I'm actually anxious to hear the new voice for, and they haven't even been shown yet.

Chill out. Your old copies aren't going anywhere. If you aren't happy with the remasters, pretend they don't exist and just go about your merry way. Same with the new games. They don't interest you? Don't play them instead of going on a five hour tangent about how everything is wrong with the world and the sky is falling all because the new games don't suit your fancy. It's fine to not enjoy them but the ridiculous hyperbole I see whenever looking at the topics for anything past 4 is the thing that would make me more "ashamed" than the titles themselves.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7868
Last seen at: Nowhere
Threads like this come and go. Often. Just let it die.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
Like AuraTwilight, I'd say more disappointed than ashamed. The only thing I'm a little ashamed of is the movie, which I'd say overall was bad. At least 4 was really weird and Homecoming interesting at first and being kinda fun. Sometimes I wish the series had ended after the first three games, although I do really enjoy Origins, it almost felt like a gameplay add-on pack for the series (by gameplay I mean level exploration and good puzzles because that's what SH gameplay is to me).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next