Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 21 Nov 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
Author Message

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
And of course none of these arguments and complaints will matter if Dounpour turns out to be a good game.

_________________
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Sep 2009
Notes left: 274
Homecoming was pretty meh, what with I think to be the lowest point of the series so far, the cultist enemies. Origins is the last game I need to play, but that looks just as meh if not more. I loved Shattered Memories though, it's plot, characters, and atmosphere were great despite the flawed gameplay and lack of horror. Downpour looks like it will be following suit in its striving for quality, I'm really looking forward to it. To me it just looks like Origins and Homecoming might just end up being a rough patch for the series and SM and Downpour will it steer back on course.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
The SilentHillian wrote:
Dunno why you're all attacking him (WelcometoNowhere) for saying what he thinks!!


In fairness, we're attacking his opinions. Nobody hates whining.

Quote:
Cuz this is 2011, and There's something called free speech...So Y'all should really start behaving like the civilized people you are....


There's no such thing as immunity from criticism.

Hell, on these boards, there's no such thing as free speech, either.

Quote:
There's no way of saying this without sounding like the kind of Japanophile, Naruto cosplaying, subtitle watching Westerner who spends his every waking hour gargling Pocky and cursing the roundness of his eyes, but I expected this the moment the franchise moved out of Japan. I was certain that the new American developers would do what Americans always do: muscle in on another culture's territory, try to impose their own values, and fuck everything up. Just like they did in Iraq.


Which very stupidly ignores the fact that only one of the four latest Silent Hill games came from an American development studio.

I almost typed 'stupid' instead of 'studio' because of how stupid this is.

American studios (almost did it again, thanks) can do every bit as well as any Japanese. Metroid fans heard the same Japanophilic morons soiling their panties when Metroid Prime was handed to Retro Studios, and what we got was one of the greatest games ever made.

Quote:
What I love about Silent Hill(Yeah, TeamSilent ones) is its absolutely peerless storytelling, which, when compared to the general standards of writing in the games industry, makes it look like Ernest Hemingway joining a forum for Invader Zim fan-fiction. I still hold up Silent Hill 2 as the benchmark for video game storytelling and atmosphere. You see, Silent Hill 2 is very good at telling a story without words; everything is drenched in symbolism, It's a fascinating voyage of pain and despair that leaves you emotionally drained and satisfied...


So is Shattered Memories. People who hate that one hate it not because it lacks in story but because there's no kombat waaaaaa only honorable japanese-san know combat desu kaga ne

Quote:
So Y'all should really stop acting like the patriots you are not and admit that the SilentHill Fans deserve to "bitch" that Their favorite franchise's quality is declining.


Indeed, you have that right. The rest of us have the right to make fun of people who demonstrate such obnoxious piss ant behavior and typify every negative stereotype about Silent Hill fans. And, honestly, this is much more you than the OP, since you joined up for the express purpose of whining about this.

I wish someone would put guns to your heads and controllers in your hands so at least your bitching would be justified, but as it stands, you have free will, so don't fucking play the games and go do something else instead, like move to Japan where all good games are made. ^_^

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
And what about the When You're Gone intro?


Where's that? No intro plays in my Wii copy of the game.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
The SilentHillian wrote:
Calamity wrote:
Hello overly dramatic fan complaining, haven't heard from you in about .05 seconds around here. How are you?

EmilietheStrange wrote:
^ That. I hate those close minded people who worship team silent like god.

alone in the town wrote:
The way people are reacting to the unpolished sample of an unfinished product leads me to conclude that some fans of this series really need to seek therapy

redrum wrote:
Only thing from this franchise that makes me ashamed is the fans, the TwinPerfect kind of fans.


Dunno why you're all attacking him (WelcometoNowhere) for saying what he thinks!!
Cuz this is 2011, and There's something called free speech...So Y'all should really start behaving like the civilized people you are....
What the guy is saying is right, Re-releasing Sh2,SH3 as (HDs) only reflects how ineffectual Konami has become...not to mention changing developing Studio right after SHHC release to Varta Games which is a Czech developer whose previous projects are : Absolutely Nothing!

There's no way of saying this without sounding like the kind of Japanophile, Naruto cosplaying, subtitle watching Westerner who spends his every waking hour gargling Pocky and cursing the roundness of his eyes, but I expected this the moment the franchise moved out of Japan. I was certain that the new American developers would do what Americans always do: muscle in on another culture's territory, try to impose their own values, and fuck everything up. Just like they did in Iraq.

What I love about Silent Hill(Yeah, TeamSilent ones) is its absolutely peerless storytelling, which, when compared to the general standards of writing in the games industry, makes it look like Ernest Hemingway joining a forum for Invader Zim fan-fiction. I still hold up Silent Hill 2 as the benchmark for video game storytelling and atmosphere. You see, Silent Hill 2 is very good at telling a story without words; everything is drenched in symbolism, It's a fascinating voyage of pain and despair that leaves you emotionally drained and satisfied...

The Fact is The Japanese developers were way too better than The westerns who couldn't have missed the point worse if they'd fired in the wrong direction and the point was in a different country altogether.

So Y'all should really stop acting like the patriots you are not and admit that the SilentHill Fans deserve to "bitch" that Their favorite franchise's quality is declining.


Yahtzee called. He wants his ZeroPunctuation lines back.

_________________
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
alone in the town wrote:
American studios (almost did it again, thanks) can do every bit as well as any Japanese. Metroid fans heard the same Japanophilic morons soiling their panties when Metroid Prime was handed to Retro Studios, and what we got was one of the greatest games ever made.

The part I love about this example? What happened when the Japanese got Metroid back...

Those two sentences are only good I ever got out of Other M. Now let's give the series back to Texas and pretend that maternal instincts abomination never happened.

I also dig the vapid cliches about free speech, or how gassing your minorities and indefinitely imprisoning your political opponents is sacrosanct enough to be practiced free of American interference. Because Americans might stack you in a big naked pyramid, and that's so much worse.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Jun 2004
Notes left: 867
Last seen at: Georgia, USA
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
And what about the When You're Gone intro?


Where's that? No intro plays in my Wii copy of the game.


If you just wait for a little while at the main screen, an intro video will begin to play, accompanied by "When You're Gone."

It's probably my favorite intro since SH3.

In fact, here's a link to it if it doesn't work on your copy of SHSM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97TLXtY4Uk

_________________
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Thanks, that's pretty cool. My copy was one of the first put on the shelves, so it's a pretty early production. I guess it's just sort of glitchy.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3229
^ Yeah, I'm not sure about the Wii versions at all, but I can confirm that plays on my PS2 copy of the game.

Droo wrote:
Yahtzee called. He wants his ZeroPunctuation lines back.

He went beyond just stealing some Zero Punctuation lines. That could at least be understandable, as I myself have directly quoted videos before to help illustrate my point when they are saying what I want to say only better than I can (Phelous~<3). But I always provide a source and quotation marks and never use more than a sentence or two. This dude legitimately just took an entire paragraph word for word from Yahtzee and pretended it was his own, even played off of it later on.

Seriously, SilentHillian, doing that makes your credibility shoot down instantly and considerably. Nobody is going to take your argument seriously when they realize you plagiarized the entire damn thing. Especially when if we take the plagiarism out all that is left is you jumping to the defense of somebody you presumably don't know.


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 374
Yes. Everything after Silent Hill 4: The Room has been disappointing.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1879
Last seen at: Los Angeles
The SilentHillian wrote:
What the guy is saying is right, Re-releasing Sh2,SH3 as (HDs) only reflects how ineffectual Konami has become...

How?
Because Sony Santa Monica released a God of War collection does that mean that they've fallen on bad times? It's just companies trying to make money, and it has nothing to do with how "ineffectual" they are.

If you want to actually go into specifics and talk about how certain choices, information, screenshots, voices, inability to understand/target/gauge their current and potential audience, lacking number of games produced/released, and so forth reflect the decline in Konami's quality, then have at it. The HD collections are just a great way to make money for cheap.

The SilentHillian wrote:
not to mention changing developing Studio right after SHHC release to Varta Games which is a Czech developer whose previous projects are : Absolutely Nothing!

Studios have to start somewhere. Do you think if you had seen the people that created ID studios before they made Doom that you would have assumed that they would have ever been capable or responsible for the development of one of the most influential games of all time?
Will Downpour/Vatra ever reach that level? I don't imagine so, but writing off a studio because they haven't made a hugely successful title in the past is a bad thing, in my opinion.

Not to mention, Konami is skipping around from dev to dev because 1. Outsourcing is cheaper by default, 2.Costs of developing are cheaper when you don't keep paying the same studio, which will likely look for a raise in budget/pay, 3. With these different groups you're bound to find one that comes up with a good idea that you can grow/exploit for future projects.


steam of consciousness or something-
They just haven't found their homerun game yet, and I don't think they ever will because of their insistence on not letting a new dev group really get involved with the property to where they can explore new area. Climax was my least favorite dev group after origins, and they are now my favorite of the outsourced groups because of Shattered Memories. Given a little time to feel out this IP with a history and the possibilities, I think a dev could make a really incredible game. Does that mean that you should excuse a few awful games because "they're bound to get it sooner or later?" See, this is why these sorts of things are such a bother. You can't have your cake and eat it too.


delusion wrote:
Yes. Everything after Silent Hill 4: The Room has been disappointing.

Oh, you!

Alternate response: "delusion"


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Aug 2011
Notes left: 13
Last seen at: The Clocktower
I think the series has dwindled every now and again, though I've never truly been disappointed with the franchise. In fact, Shattered Memories has become one of my favourite games in the entire series. Sure, the raw shocks lost their effect after popping up for the third time, becoming more of a nuisance than a real threat, but it's the atmosphere and the story that caught my attention.

I prefer to become emotionally involved in the Silent Hill universe, which is why I also enjoyed Homecoming. If I like the characters, I find it hard to dislike the game. Of course you will always get those people who can't accept change.I'm not speaking for everyone, but there are plenty of people running rampant on the net who are just never satisfied.

Look at Homecoming. People bitched to high Heaven about it having too much emphasis on combat, SHSM came along and removed combat altogether, forcing the player into a state of vulnerability. Then what happened?

The fans bitched that there wasn't enough emphasis on combat.

Sometimes I sit back and I wonder whther it's partly the fanbase that are causing this journey up the rocky road to ruin. Afterall, some people are never satisfied with what they get,and often blow trivial things out of proportion, ignoring any positive aspects the new games have in favour of bashing the negatives.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
A bit of sad hilarity, how there are fans who blame the Western teams for ruining the series (because they wanna get paid, oh rage!) when those same Western developers bend over backwards to give us what we want.

Oh, the combat was sloppy? Here's Homecoming, with a revamped and precise combat engine.

But combat's not the soul of Silent Hill, and Homecoming was too hard and combat-focused! Okay, here's Shattered Memories. which tries to get at that soul of emotional impact and storytelling.

Shattered Memories is too easy and you can't defend yourself and "fight your demons!" Alright, here's Downpour, which has fight and flight, hard enemies, limited weaponry, over-the-shoulder and static cameras, and tries to do something new with the storyline.

Tomm Hulett's gonna quit when he realizes that we don't know what we want... oh, and that Atlus USA (his old employer) fans are classier by far. 'Cuz it's not like he hasn't been trying really hard, but now there's a legion of "don't wanna think for ourselves" fans that agree with TwinPerfect that he's a blight on the series.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Quote:
A bit of sad hilarity, how there are fans who blame the Western teams for ruining the series (because they wanna get paid, oh rage!) when those same Western developers bend over backwards to give us what we want.

Oh, the combat was sloppy? Here's Homecoming, with a revamped and precise combat engine.

But combat's not the soul of Silent Hill, and Homecoming was too hard and combat-focused! Okay, here's Shattered Memories. which tries to get at that soul of emotional impact and storytelling.

Shattered Memories is too easy and you can't defend yourself and "fight your demons!" Alright, here's Downpour, which has fight and flight, hard enemies, limited weaponry, over-the-shoulder and static cameras, and tries to do something new with the storyline.


I just want my abstract horror back. Combat isn't really that important to me. If shattered memories would of been scary and had that unique creepy abstract atmosphere then i wouldn't really care about the combat, same goes for homecoming. I mean it's not like the combat in the older silent hill games was that great. But they had that unique atmosphere. Honestly it seems like that's the one thing that get keeps getting overlooked. We've had developers focus on the combat and the story but not so much the atmosphere. And to me that's just as important as the story.

Also what's funny is that americans really only made one silent hill game, origins and shattered memories are under climax who are brittish.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
@ Kenji, different Silent Hill fans like different things about the series and would want different things in its sequels. Therefore, it's impossible to appeal to everyone. I want good level design like the first two games and Origins, a focus on great scenes like the second game, scariness, and the enemies not to be too focused upon. Am I gonna get all that? Hell no! Do I think they should stop trying? Kinda . . . I know they aren't going to please me. I can still enjoy the later games to an extent, but I can't change what I truly want.

_________________
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
I'm... flattered... that someone would jump to my defense, but it would be nice if you could stop stealing your opinions, then YELLING THEM AT US WITHOUT PUNCTUATION OH GOD WHERE DID THE PUNCTUATION GO OH GOD MAKE IT STOP.

I actually thought Origins was designed well, the combat was nice and fresh, and the disposable weapons were a nice, realistic touch. I even thought the Mirror World was cool, too. I just didn't care for how recycled the plot was.
"Oh, look, it's Lisa. And she's a... cokewhore." And look how... "pretty"... she is, too. :/
"Oh look, it's Kaufmann, and he's a... dick." Kinda already knew that, but whatever.
"Check it out, it's Dahlia, and she's still a bad mother." Yep. Still no fashion sense, either.
"Hey, it's Alessa! And hey, she's STILL on fire!" I swear, it's like there was a checklist. Did they shoehorn anything ELSE in?
"Hmm, how about we throw in Alchemilla, too! And the cult! And the StraitJackets!" *sigh*
It could have been wonderful, too, if they'd taken it in a different (non-prequel) direction.

Plus, I'm not sure there was even an opening intro, either. :C

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1519
Last seen at: Colombia
Kenji wrote:
A bit of sad hilarity, how there are fans who blame the Western teams for ruining the series (because they wanna get paid, oh rage!) when those same Western developers bend over backwards to give us what we want.

Oh, the combat was sloppy? Here's Homecoming, with a revamped and precise combat engine.

But combat's not the soul of Silent Hill, and Homecoming was too hard and combat-focused! Okay, here's Shattered Memories. which tries to get at that soul of emotional impact and storytelling.

Shattered Memories is too easy and you can't defend yourself and "fight your demons!" Alright, here's Downpour, which has fight and flight, hard enemies, limited weaponry, over-the-shoulder and static cameras, and tries to do something new with the storyline.

Tomm Hulett's gonna quit when he realizes that we don't know what we want... oh, and that Atlus USA (his old employer) fans are classier by far. 'Cuz it's not like he hasn't been trying really hard, but now there's a legion of "don't wanna think for ourselves" fans that agree with TwinPerfect that he's a blight on the series.


^ This

Silent Hill developers should stop listening the fans and think by themselves, to listening the fans was what ruined Silent Hill Homecoming... They just need to show some general footage to the people and fix the little bad things (Like they did with the first Silent Hill 0rigins; although they edited too much) ; I still having some hopes for Book of Memories although I really hope they erase the damn special attack...


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 Jan 2010
Notes left: 1725
Last seen at: Canadiania
Kenji wrote:
A bit of sad hilarity, how there are fans who blame the Western teams for ruining the series (because they wanna get paid, oh rage!) when those same Western developers bend over backwards to give us what we want.

Oh, the combat was sloppy? Here's Homecoming, with a revamped and precise combat engine.

But combat's not the soul of Silent Hill, and Homecoming was too hard and combat-focused! Okay, here's Shattered Memories. which tries to get at that soul of emotional impact and storytelling.

Shattered Memories is too easy and you can't defend yourself and "fight your demons!" Alright, here's Downpour, which has fight and flight, hard enemies, limited weaponry, over-the-shoulder and static cameras, and tries to do something new with the storyline.

Tomm Hulett's gonna quit when he realizes that we don't know what we want... oh, and that Atlus USA (his old employer) fans are classier by far. 'Cuz it's not like he hasn't been trying really hard, but now there's a legion of "don't wanna think for ourselves" fans that agree with TwinPerfect that he's a blight on the series.
Very well written. No matter what any team does, it seems to always be a horrible decision to at least half the fanbase. I think that's a result of us all having different expectations for the series, different opinions on what makes each game good. But it's also a result of our general unwillingness to embrace change and experimentation--and apparently also an unwillingness to embrace any attempt to bring the series back to its roots. It's a no-win situation for any developers who tackle the series.

I'm all for voicing your opinion and letting devs know when you think something should change, but as an overall community there seems to be no appeasing us. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next SH (if there is another sequel) is directed more at a general, casual audience as a result. I think that would be more likely than Tomm quitting, because when compared to the general gaming audience, we are but a handful.

Most of what I just wrote rests upon a vast generalization, so it doesn't apply to many people. It just seems to be a fairly noticeable trend.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
I don't get why people are mad about Book of Memories... I mean sure, it looks like crap, but there's a major Silent Hill game coming out on HD consoles and BoM is a spinoff on a handheld. It'd be like a Resident Evil fan getting mad about those RE rail shooters on the Wii.

A lot of people here seem to be despairing at the moment and I can't understand why... Downpour looks to be the best new take on the series' spirit since, well, since the originals, and Book of Memories seems to signify that they've split the series down the middle so that they can please the casual 'saw the movie and played homecoming' fans with that one and the proper fans with Downpour, rather than trying to please both and ending up pleasing neither...

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
I'd normally be thrilled about a new revamp of SH2 and SH3, but Konami is so desperate for a quick buck that they're throwing away the beloved voice-acting of SH2 and SH3 without a thought. Plus, the reason they gave for the new acting was that James' voice-actor, Guy Cihi, was asking for royalties from the HD Collection. That doesn't really explain why they expunged ALL the voice actors, even the ones from SH3, other than Konami is cheap and dedicated to whoring out our favorite games with little regard for the final result, however shiny and HD. :/

_________________
Image


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: