Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 16 Dec 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next

Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
A quick buck.

Troy Baker is a well-known and established voice talent. Guy Cihi was some guy on the street with little experience, as were most of the other voice actors in the originals. I'm willing to bet that Baker cost a great deal more than Guy, and just maybe, their reasons for making the change are something more than pure evil.

I mean, if making a quick buck was the sole motivation, they should not have taken on new voice talent at all since it is clear that Konami has no legal obligation to pay the original talent regardless of whether or not the previous material was reused.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
I'd normally be thrilled about a new revamp of SH2 and SH3, but Konami is so desperate for a quick buck that they're throwing away the beloved voice-acting of SH2 and SH3 without a thought. Plus, the reason they gave for the new acting was that James' voice-actor, Guy Cihi, was asking for royalties from the HD Collection. That doesn't really explain why they expunged ALL the voice actors, even the ones from SH3, other than Konami is cheap and dedicated to whoring out our favorite games with little regard for the final result, however shiny and HD. :/

Considering some fans feel that the old voices sound unnatural--and not necessarily in a good way--and that they re-recorded voices in the Metal Gear Solid collection for quality, it's quite possible that royalties (that weren't owed to Guy) aren't the only reason for the switch.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 02 May 2010
Notes left: 877
Last seen at: The Masonic Temple
Yuki wrote:
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
I'd normally be thrilled about a new revamp of SH2 and SH3, but Konami is so desperate for a quick buck that they're throwing away the beloved voice-acting of SH2 and SH3 without a thought. Plus, the reason they gave for the new acting was that James' voice-actor, Guy Cihi, was asking for royalties from the HD Collection. That doesn't really explain why they expunged ALL the voice actors, even the ones from SH3, other than Konami is cheap and dedicated to whoring out our favorite games with little regard for the final result, however shiny and HD. :/

Considering some fans feel that the old voices sound unnatural--and not necessarily in a good way--and that they re-recorded voices in the Metal Gear Solid collection for quality, it's quite possible that royalties (that weren't owed to Guy) aren't the only reason for the switch.

It's the main reason they gave. Also, I'm not saying the original actors' jobs on the game were perfect, but they had charm and fit the mood of the game. The new acting sounds off, but not in a good way--Eddie sounds physically sick, not demented, and James doesn't sound confused and scared, he sounds angry. Maria is trying way too hard to be sexy, and I haven't heard anything of Angela's yet. I just don't like it, I guess. :/

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
Yuki wrote:

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will not have re-recorded voice acting.
It will feature the original voices.

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
^ Even if that's so, the argument still applies to Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, which re-recorded the voices and had the actors dispense with the thick accents.

Subway Guard

Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
Kenji wrote:
^ Even if that's so, the argument still applies to Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, which re-recorded the voices and had the actors dispense with the thick accents.

But most of the original cast would probably not have returned, if not for David Hayter's request and funding.

Agent of God wrote:
Yuki wrote:

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will not have re-recorded voice acting.
It will feature the original voices.

I don't follow Metal Gear Solid, so I could totally be wrong, but was this ever confirmed as false, then?
http://www.destructoid.com/could-metal- ... 6204.phtml

Subway Guard

^Kojima Pro, reported that the original VA work would not be changed. The only thing they are changing is small portions of dialogue that will help port the games on X-Box 360.

For instance, the have to change small things like "Press the X button to crawl". On X-Box it will become "Press the Y button" or whatever.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Are you ashamed of the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 03 Jan 2011
Notes left: 166
Last seen at: Cloud 9
KageReneko wrote:
Yeah I'm so ashamed that I usually play the new games covering my head with a paper bag ...

I had to quote this. It made me lmao!

I'll be honest, I am a little disappointed at what it's come to, but not to the point where I've become uninterested in the series. But in general, all "horror" games this generation haven't really frightened me whatsoever. Not even Siren Blood Curse could do the job for me and I've seen many a fans compare SH and Siren games (myself included) in accordance to how frightening/creepy they both are.

I'm not too disappointed in the newer SH games, really. As a matter of fact I'm a little intrigued by the newer installments (Shattered Memories and Downpour) trying to work their hands at "psychological horror." In the process we get something new and fresh, though the horror part could use a little more refining.

However, I'm just thinking in terms of of SHSM and SHD. I'm not certain as to what the hell BoM is exactly and the new VAs for the HD remakes aren't too bad and are clearly not indicative of the final product (where many tweaks will have been made). That's just my two cents, anyways.

Agent of God wrote:
^Kojima Pro, reported that the original VA work would not be changed. The only thing they are changing is small portions of dialogue that will help port the games on X-Box 360.

For instance, the have to change small things like "Press the X button to crawl". On X-Box it will become "Press the Y button" or whatever.

Could you link me, please?

Either way, I think the chances of them doing it for quality control still stand.

Subway Guard

Yuki wrote:
Agent of God wrote:

Could you link me, please?

Either way, I think the chances of them doing it for quality control still stand.

It's all in the latest Kojima Productions Report

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Apr 2004
Notes left: 313
God Help Me, They're horrible.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 681
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
I was disappointed with certain parts of Homecoming.

Book of Memories seems a bit absurd to me while seeming like it could still be fun.

The Korn theme is disappointing to me. Plus while Downpour looks amazing to me it's disappointing to see it essentially falling apart at gaming conventions and getting a poor reception.

But none of this really kills my fandom or anything.

You look deep enough, there's something disappointing about anything and everything. If a person is going that far, it just gets kinda sad.

Brookhaven Receptionist

^I just heard the new KoRn theme the other day, and I actually kinda liked it. The music and the lyrics had that creepy feel that Silent Hill music should. =)

Also, in my opinion, no self-respecting Silent Hill should have a top-fricking-down perspective. Nothing about that kind of constant perspective is scary. It's fine for games like Diablo and Mass Effect, but not a goddamn Silent Hill.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 12 Jul 2009
Notes left: 381
Last seen at: New Zealand
SH4 I didn't even like all that much.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 14 Dec 2010
Notes left: 63
Last seen at: New Jersey
delusion wrote:
Yes. Everything after Silent Hill 4: The Room has been disappointing.

Agreed. I have a feeling Downpour is going to be a waste of money.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
I'd say everything after SIlent Hill 2 except for Origins was disappointing.

That is to say, SH3 was better than Origins, but after SH4 came out, I was willing to accept a game that was good, not great, because I found 4 pretty mediocre.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Doctor Eggnog wrote:
I'd say everything after SIlent Hill 2 except for Origins was disappointing.

That is to say, SH3 was better than Origins, but after SH4 came out, I was willing to accept a game that was good, not great, because I found 4 pretty mediocre.

I think a lot of SH fans were bummed with SH4 because it was constructed more heavily around J-Horror than its predecessors. It was very claustrophobic and linear, the ghosts were immortal and nigh-unstoppable, the settings were closed-in and metropolitan, and the plot was grounded in very japanese ideas and stories--it was all too foreign for most americans to get into, despite being a respectable game in its own right.

The ones that came afterward went the other direction, with very hollywood ideas of horror: providing very blunt action and a reliance on blood and gore and jump-out scares (Homecoming), providing relatively unnecessary, lackluster backstory that doesn't tell us what we don't already know (Origins), and a remake that misses the point of the original, doesn't quite live up to its ancestor, and whose main selling factor is opportunizing on fans nostalgia for profit (Shattered Memories).

Now that Vatra Games has moved in as leading developer, as a European game company, the series might get the flavor back it's been missing for the last several games, since (being neither american nor japanese) it won't be overwhelmed by one horror-style or another. Who knows, maybe it'll be the next SH2! :3

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
a remake that misses the point of the original, doesn't quite live up to its ancestor, and whose main selling factor is opportunizing on fans nostalgia for profit (Shattered Memories).

Pardon me, WHAT?

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
a remake that misses the point of the original, doesn't quite live up to its ancestor, and whose main selling factor is opportunizing on fans nostalgia for profit (Shattered Memories).

Now that Vatra Games has moved in as leading developer, as a European game company, the series might get the flavor back it's been missing for the last several games, since (being neither american nor japanese) it won't be overwhelmed by one horror-style or another. Who knows, maybe it'll be the next SH2! :3

First: Shattered Memories never once pretended to be a remake. It was a reimagining that does indeed play off of some fans' original expectations, but also had an effect--as I can testify through some of my friends playing it with me--on people who hadn't played the original game. Not living up to it is completely subjective, but by no means was it ever pretending to be a remake of the original game.

As for Vatra... you realize that Climax wasn't American, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next