Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Jun 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: To Silent Hill Game Developers

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
The studio's are given (quite strict) deadlines set by Konami. + The latest studio's weren't the most experienced either. If anyone's too blame, then it's Konami imo. Downpour was sometimes a bit laggy, but it worked for me... Anyways Silent Hill fans are not easy to please. Even Silent Hill 3 and 4 are viewed as the worst by some people, and that's not even by glitches... Not to mention the whole heap of people adoring Silent Hill 1-3 and instantly bash any new game...

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7980
Last seen at: Nowhere
It's good (and useful) to listen to the fanbase when it comes to lack of ideas (yeah right) but since we are so damn bitchy sometimes it might be best to stay in the dark and work on everything like you don't own nothing to the whole world.

And yeah, blame Konami. It seems FIFA and MGS doesn't give much cash nowadays. Go figure :roll:

Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 09 Aug 2007
Notes left: 3634
Last seen at: Federative Republic of Butts
Merged since eddieeatedmypizzas topic fit with previous discussion here.

And buggy releases sadly aren't something unique to SH. Most of the mainstream games industry these days seems to work on a release now, patch later policy. That said, I never had any bug issues with either Downpour or Homecoming (what I played of Homecoming anyway). The only game I noticed bugs was Origins, and they were just sound related and easy to ignore.

I've said before that the way they went about Downpour is the right way to go. It wasn't perfect, but they did their own thing and tried to shake up the environments. If another installment is made, I'd much rather they didn't listen to the whining masses.

Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 16 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1129
fudgestix wrote:
I've said before that the way they went about Downpour is the right way to go. It wasn't perfect, but they did their own thing and tried to shake up the environments. If another installment is made, I'd much rather they didn't listen to the whining masses.

I agree with this. For a studio I knew nothing about, I was nervous about Downpour. But it ended up impressing me in multiple ways, all across the board, from gameplay to the art direction. It made me excited to explore the town again. I played it many times before giving it a break, just like Shattered Memories.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3222
eddieatemypizza wrote:
A lot of people say us silent hill fans are very hard to please..actually silent hill fans are very easy to please..just make a good silent hill game!! that would please us all very much..

Wow, you're right. I'm sure they never thought of that before. All this time they've spent trying to make bad games, if they had just realized we don't want bad games then they could have been making good games. Surely this post will make them see the light. Congrats, you saved Silent Hill!

eddieatemypizza wrote:
with the last 2 installments (homecoming and downpour for the ps3)

You forgot Shattered Memories and Book of Memories.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3833
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Quote:
Wow, you're right. I'm sure they never thought of that before. All this time they've spent trying to make bad games, if they had just realized we don't want bad games then they could have been making good games. Surely this post will make them see the light. Congrats, you saved Silent Hill!

While it's not just that simple, that is a part of it. The quality of some of the newer silent hill games hasn't been up to par. And if you look at metacritic scores(while they don't mean EVERYTHING) they have scored lower scores on average. I feel like the newer silent hill games haven't just been bad silent hill games, but subpar games in general. Like if i didn't know it was a silent hill game, i still wouldn't of liked them because they just weren't that good. The one exception being shattered memories.

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
I disagree. While Downpour had some really annoying glitches, it was a mostly-solid product. I enjoyed the story, I thought it was a scary game, and it wasn't too frustrating to play. I'd subtract some points for the glitches and for the lack of creative monster design, but Downpour and Shattered Memories were both very enjoyable to me, and I like Book of Memories well enough.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3222
SPRINGS02 wrote:
While it's not just that simple, that is a part of it. The quality of some of the newer silent hill games hasn't been up to par. And if you look at metacritic scores(while they don't mean EVERYTHING) they have scored lower scores on average. I feel like the newer silent hill games haven't just been bad silent hill games, but subpar games in general. Like if i didn't know it was a silent hill game, i still wouldn't of liked them because they just weren't that good. The one exception being shattered memories.

My point was that saying "make a good game" is worthless advice because regardless of your feelings about the game they were obviously trying to make a good game. There are also plenty of people here who like the newer games, myself included, but that's irrelevant. I was just being snarky.

But, really, there's no such thing as objectively good or bad. Years of experience with this fanbase (not nearly as many years as some of you, but still) has taught me that we will always be split down the middle. We're never all going to see eye to eye in regards to this franchise. Listening to us is the worst thing Konami could do at this point. Tomm tried to listen to us and look where that got him. Harassed until it killed his passion for working on the series.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
I agree with SPRING02, the main problem with the recent Silent Hill titles has just been an overall lack of quality. It has nothing to do with Metacritic, it's just my personal opinion that the recent games haven't succeeded very well as being good horror games, good stories, or good games in any way.

The problem is that the first few games set the bar for quality very high, so some disappointment was inevitable. But when you have games as low quality as Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, it's no wonder so many fans hate the newer games. Downpour is the best of the newer games, but even that one has some huge problems.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Oct 2012
Notes left: 258
Last seen at: Isle of Man
I'm still yet to play Downpour (which I will rectify soon), but overall I'd say that no, I'm not disappointed with the newer games in the series. Origins was flawed but still a good game, in fact it was mainly the story that I was less happy with, particularly the portrayal of Alessa. The gameplay, once I'd go used to it was actually very enjoyable, the atmosphere was brilliant and the locations were some of the best and most memorable in the series I'd say.

Homecoming is a different story and yes, I was disappointed with this, to the point that I still haven't finished it. Or actually got very far into it at all to be honest. I hated the gameplay (which might say more about me than the game, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true) and to be honest nothing else went any way towards compensating for that. I do intend to go back to it at some point and finish it which might change my mind somewhat, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Shattered Memories is certainly the high point of the post 'Team Silent' games that I've played and deserves all the praise that it has had from a lot of the people here. I suppose if I'd gone into it demanding and expecting a traditional scary (Survival) horror SH game, or a remake of the first I might have been disappointed, but I didn't and I wasn't. Even having the twist accidentally spoiled on here didn't ruin the game for me.

I haven't played the HD collection as I'm perfectly happy with playing the original versions and unless Book of Memories gets ported to the PS3 I'm unlikely to ever play that, though I'd like to. I wouldn't consider either of those to be new 'proper' SH titles though, so if Downpour proves to be good then I can quite happily say that I'm content with the latest Silent Hill games. From what I've seen of people's opinions of it on here it seems likely that I will enjoy it, but you never know until you play for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
I'm definitely not disappointed, especially now that I've played Downpour, which I really loved. The story alone was worth it, but it's the side quest and the open world part of the town that really made it unique to me. It felt special, it was scary, deep, emotional, and I had a lot of fun wandering in the town searching for said side quest, most of them being really interesting and atmospheric.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Silent Hill is in a bad situation

Missing since: 24 Sep 2013
Notes left: 21
The franchise of Silent Hill is in a VERY bad situation at this time. Most of it's older fans want the game to remain about the story hardly any combat. If the game has a good combat system that works(homecoming) I generally hear people and reviewers whining.

"Waah it's a stupid action cod rip-off game now"

If the game focuses on a good story and plot(Downpour) and doesn't really have a combat system worth mentioning then I hear people and reviewers whining about that.

"Waah it's boring and doesn't have a good combat system." The game ends up getting a poor review regardless and the team that made it gets shut down.

While Silent Hill 2 was amazing and an absolutely fantastic game(maybe the best) a game like that just will not pass as a AAA title anymore. At this rate Silent Hill is going to fade out of existence, maybe it could survive through inde-type games like Amnesia but it would not be able to survive as a major release.

With all this in mind I pose a question, what are your opinions on what the next game could do to retain it's horror, with a fun, intuitive and well made combat system. While keeping its previous audience and gaining a new audience, making it able to release as a AAA game for 60$ and be well reviewed? I think that new game The Evil Within is on the right path personally.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill is in a bad situation

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 918
Last seen at: Ohio
I would like a horror from SH but i don't want a shit load of gore, being ripped apart, with sex and drugs. I hate that DP, HC, and SM did that. I don't want that in the next Silent Hill.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill is in a bad situation

From a gamplay perspective, how do you think they should handle the combat in a way to make it fun and appealing, while not overdoing it?

Missing since: 09 Aug 2007
Notes left: 3634
Last seen at: Federative Republic of Butts
Merged as this your topic fits in here. Also can you please resize your avatar to 100x100, there's a guide here if you aren't sure how.

Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)

Just Passing Through

I think I fixed it, either way that other one was only temporary anyway.

On topic, I feel Homecoming had better gameplay than all of the rest but lacked in story. Downpour did not have the best story, but it was one of the better one. It's gameplay however was clunky and not as good. I honestly wonder if Silent Hill can survive and make a come back.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Jun 2012
Notes left: 57
SH should die, and be remembered like the legendary horror game that it was (at least the first 4). Now it is like the whore of Konami's Stripclub, just making money showing explicit stuff, taking away the subtle thing, original ideas and artistry. But of course that there always gonna be people who love the recent games, and from there is where Konami feeds itself, from people who just don't understand that the first games were already perfect balanced with the gameplay of a real Survival Horror. Ironically, now Silent Hill is just a videogame, and not something beyond of how it used to be.

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
No, the newer ones are "just video games". Konami can do what they want with the series and it has no reason to die. The older games will never change due to this and will always be there, so it really does not, and shouldn't, matter to you if the older games are the only ones you're going to stick to anyway.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Avith wrote:
SH should die, and be remembered like the legendary horror game that it was (at least the first 4). Now it is like the whore of Konami's Stripclub, just making money showing explicit stuff, taking away the subtle thing, original ideas and artistry. But of course that there always gonna be people who love the recent games, and from there is where Konami feeds itself, from people who just don't understand that the first games were already perfect balanced with the gameplay of a real Survival Horror. Ironically, now Silent Hill is just a videogame, and not something beyond of how it used to be.

That feeling when someone comes in here talking about how Silent Hill was so much more full of deep, philosophical concepts and subtle storytelling and balanced gameplay when they were between the ages of five and ten.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1626
Avith wrote:

There is actually a lot more to the newer games than some people give them credit for. Just look around the areas of the forum dedicated to those games and you'll find some interesting stuff. I for one now think differently about the newer games after reading some of the other members theories. The newer games may not be exactly the same as the older games (which were all different in their own ways anyway), but they're still good when you look deeper rather than taking them at face value.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next