Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 22 Oct 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Author Message

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1879
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Avith wrote:
Ironically, now Silent Hill is just a videogame, and not something beyond of how it used to be.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill is in a bad situation
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Falen-writings wrote:
The franchise of Silent Hill is in a VERY bad situation at this time. Most of it's older fans want the game to remain about the story hardly any combat. If the game has a good combat system that works(homecoming) I generally hear people and reviewers whining.


There really was nothing "good" about Homecoming's combat. Yes, it was fast paced and twitchy, which is usually not a good fit for a horror game. But it was also just a plain terrible combat system. Even if you ignore the fact that Silent Hill is a horror game and compare it to other action games, Homecoming's combat is awful. That's why people and reviewers "whined" about it.

I agree with you though that newer Silent Hill games have lost that magic. Part of what made them such good games is the way all the elements worked together so well, something which never happens in any of the later games. Problem is that in order for Silent Hill to be relevant again, they have to achieve that same sort of balance without copying the original games, and that's just not likely to happen.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill is in a bad situation
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 24 Sep 2013
Notes left: 21
Tillerman wrote:
Falen-writings wrote:
The franchise of Silent Hill is in a VERY bad situation at this time. Most of it's older fans want the game to remain about the story hardly any combat. If the game has a good combat system that works(homecoming) I generally hear people and reviewers whining.


There really was nothing "good" about Homecoming's combat. Yes, it was fast paced and twitchy, which is usually not a good fit for a horror game. But it was also just a plain terrible combat system. Even if you ignore the fact that Silent Hill is a horror game and compare it to other action games, Homecoming's combat is awful. That's why people and reviewers "whined" about it.

I agree with you though that newer Silent Hill games have lost that magic. Part of what made them such good games is the way all the elements worked together so well, something which never happens in any of the later games. Problem is that in order for Silent Hill to be relevant again, they have to achieve that same sort of balance without copying the original games, and that's just not likely to happen.


The dodge and counter system worked fairly smoothly in my opinion. Even if you were really low on health you could still survive just by being good at the combat. I thought it was much better than Downpours combat.

_________________
I don't know, check out my writings? http://fallen-writings.tumblr.com/


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill is in a bad situation
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Falen-writings wrote:
The dodge and counter system worked fairly smoothly in my opinion. Even if you were really low on health you could still survive just by being good at the combat. I thought it was much better than Downpours combat.


Better than Downpour's combat, huh? That's damning with faint praise. But to be honest I think it's even worse than that.

It's very one dimensional and repetitive. The weapons were badly balanced, with the knife pretty much always being the best weapon, and if you spam it most of the time you can ignore the dodge feature. The amount of combos you could do was severely limited, and you were pretty much restricted to using 1 dial-a-combo over and over. Bosses were monotonous to fight against because all you really do is dodge combo dodge combo repeat.

As a combat system for an action game, it's atrocious because it is badly balanced, repetitive, and has no depth. As a combat system for a horror game, it's equally bad because it's too focused on fast paced button mashing and twitch reflexes, which don't really mesh well with horror. IMO it's easily the worst combat system in the series, yes even worse than Downpour's. SH3's is still the best by a landslide.

If you want an action horror game with a solid combat system, you go with something like Resident Evil or Dead Space. In terms of good action combat, Homecoming is at the bottom of the list. I honestly don't get why anyone ever says anything nice about it.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill is in a bad situation
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
Tillerman wrote:
Falen-writings wrote:
The dodge and counter system worked fairly smoothly in my opinion. Even if you were really low on health you could still survive just by being good at the combat. I thought it was much better than Downpours combat.


Better than Downpour's combat, huh? That's damning with faint praise. But to be honest I think it's even worse than that.

It's very one dimensional and repetitive. The weapons were badly balanced, with the knife pretty much always being the best weapon, and if you spam it most of the time you can ignore the dodge feature. The amount of combos you could do was severely limited, and you were pretty much restricted to using 1 dial-a-combo over and over. Bosses were monotonous to fight against because all you really do is dodge combo dodge combo repeat.

As a combat system for an action game, it's atrocious because it is badly balanced, repetitive, and has no depth. As a combat system for a horror game, it's equally bad because it's too focused on fast paced button mashing and twitch reflexes, which don't really mesh well with horror. IMO it's easily the worst combat system in the series, yes even worse than Downpour's. SH3's is still the best by a landslide.

If you want an action horror game with a solid combat system, you go with something like Resident Evil or Dead Space. In terms of good action combat, Homecoming is at the bottom of the list. I honestly don't get why anyone ever says anything nice about it.



Completely agree with this....i've always felt that Homecoming's combat system was too pattern-based...enemies lock onto you, then you have to implement the patterned combo system for the said enemy..it just didn't feel natural.

I don't feel that Downpour's combat system was the greatest, but it felt more natural than homecoming's...i even liked SH2's combat system...simple strikes that just felt more natural than combo's which made the game feel more mechanical than anything...

One thing i did like about Homecoming was it's creature and Boss designs...and i liked Alex as a character...


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
Homecoming's combat system was flawed. But it was a path in the right direction. We don't need a protagonist who is a fighter, but we don't need a protagonist who walks like a stick either.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
I like SH2's combat system also. It is simple, you can do light attacks or a power attack, and that works well for a horror game. The action feels visceral without being forced or floaty like Homecoming's does. It doesn't have a lot of depth, but a horror game's combat system doesn't necessarily need depth. The only problem with SH2's combat isn't necessarily the combat itself, but just the fact that there isn't enough enemy variety, and also that they give you way too much ammo even on hard mode. They fixed both of those problems in SH3.

I think SH4's combat is pretty good as well, the weapon charging was a decent addition to the series. They also kept weapon charging in Homecoming, but you wouldn't know it because it was largely made useless by the combos.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 24 Sep 2013
Notes left: 21
Hmm, maybe it was just me. I enjoyed how different it was and the fact that it was kind of fast paced while still being challenging.

_________________
I don't know, check out my writings? http://fallen-writings.tumblr.com/


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3228
Ryantology wrote:
That feeling when someone comes in here talking about how Silent Hill was so much more full of deep, philosophical concepts and subtle storytelling and balanced gameplay when they were between the ages of five and ten.

The first Silent Hill game actually was released when I was between the ages of 5 and 10. I still played it at the time. I actually remember talking about it with other kids at my school too, as they were also playing it. Not that this invalidates your point/joke, I just thought it was amusing.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 25 Jun 2012
Notes left: 60
Silent Fantasy wrote:
No, the newer ones are "just video games". Konami can do what they want with the series and it has no reason to die. The older games will never change due to this and will always be there, so it really does not, and shouldn't, matter to you if the older games are the only ones you're going to stick to anyway.


Exactly, that's what I mean. The company is the only entity who can modify the game, because he has the "authority", doesn't matters if he doesn't know a shred about it. Of course it has no reason to die for him if the games are still making money. And I will stick to the old games for ever, but also I can stick to a new one always and when it accomplish with the expectations, and that doesn't means that it has to be a copy of the old games.

Typographenia wrote:
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

This is one of the most not constructive things I have ever read.

By your logic, the biggest books of literature are just books, nothing special about them really; or the biggest musical pieces are just music, a combination of sounds, nothing more.

I just want to point something, Team Silent were almost just artists who didn't played a videogame ever in their lifes, not freakies who loved videogames (unlike most of the current developers), and that made the old games feel more than just video games.
I am not saying that SH should be developed under the same circumstances, but that shows one of the reasons of why the recent games are disappointing, at least for me.

_________________
The Silence is Also a Sound.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Avith wrote:
I just want to point something, Team Silent were almost just artists who didn't played a videogame ever in their lifes, not freakies who loved videogames (unlike most of the current developers), and that made the old games feel more than just video games.


Um, where are you getting that info from?

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
That was actually said by one of the Team Silent members in an interview if I remember correctly.
I'm sure someone has the exact info on which interview and who it was, but it is in a thread somewhere around here.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 25 Jun 2012
Notes left: 60
http://www.igotaletter.com/media/articl ... yoshi_Sato

Quote:
IGN - What other aspects of Silent Hill 2 did you think are important in discussing in regard to the artistic style?
SATO - Most people working for game companies are game freaks, but the Silent Hill team are artists and programmers first - mainly artists. Silent Hill 2 is not a typical game because most of our staff didn't grow up playing games. Because of this, we hope to provide the gamer with a different sort of game.

_________________
The Silence is Also a Sound.


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1129
That's a really good quote, and I think it explains why a lot of people adore SH/SH2/SH3's, and often conditionally SH4's, art direction so much.

_________________
Image
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 20 Oct 2012
Notes left: 140
That's nice and all, but if you're going to create a video game, it helps to have people who understand the medium. Artistry can only carry you so far.

As far as the combat of the older games is concerned, it's serviceable and gets the job done, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it natural. It feels too stiff, too limited to be realistic or natural. I know some people will try to say that the awkward combat fits the theme of the protagonist being a regular Joe, but I never buy that. It always came across as a convenient way to dismiss polishing up the gameplay mechanics.

Homecoming and Downpour do a better job, but they could still do with more ideas.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
There's a significant difference between "didn't grow up playing games" and "never played a game in their lives".

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 989
Last seen at: Kentucky
I think generally, very generally, that the fanbase agrees that the older SH's had a better story while the newer SH's have better gameplay (but again, what is gameplay & where does atmosphere fit in?).

With that notion I'm curious - stonecoldsteveurkel, what is your favorite entry in the series? I might've missed you saying it elsewhere.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
I really don't think SH3 has a good story. Its gameplay is good though.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?

Missing since: 20 Oct 2012
Notes left: 140
Opinion may change over time, but so far Downpour is my favorite. While some things I don't care for on both the storytelling and gameplay, I feel like it's the marriage of the two so far.

SH3's story was pretty run of the mill, but the characters themselves, the monsters, puzzles, imagery, and the great level design is always what keeps me coming back.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Are you disappointed with the newest Silent Hills?
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
thy_butcher wrote:
I think generally, very generally, that the fanbase agrees that the older SH's had a better story while the newer SH's have better gameplay (but again, what is gameplay & where does atmosphere fit in?).


I hope not, because that would be kinda crazy. Homecoming with it's shallow ands terribly designed combo-based system, Origins with it's breakable weapons, shat-mems with it's repetitive and lazy chase scenes, and Downpour which everyone and thier mother criticizes the combat system. Why anyone would say that newer SH's have better "gameplay" is beyond me. Pretty much every SH after 3 has huge gameplay flaws that detract from the experience.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: