Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Sep 2018

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: We need a SH Online game like RE Outbreak

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 402
General Opinion on Why Multiplayer Won't Work wrote:
Multiplayer gameplay completely contradicts the core elements of what makes Silent Hill games so Silent Hill. Its the isolation and loneliness have always been at the heart of the series, man.

This stance outright ignores Silent Hill 2 and 4. Both games had a partner tagging along and managed to retain brilliant atmosphere and scares.

I suppose the main problem is having another player next to you (or online in some form), which takes away the experience. But, personally, I've played a Silent Hill game next to annoying friends with the same level of adrenaline coursing through my veins, as I'm sure many of you have. It really depends on the game's ability to instill fear in you, which comes from the talent of the directors, of course.

Amnesia is a perfect example--I've played that game dozens of times in front of whole parties while feeling the same amount of fear and atmosphere as when playing alone.

On another point, I suppose it also depends what type of multiplayer it is. A Book of Memories situation would be fun. Some of the more subtle, New Super Mario Bros. Wii ideas (one player affecting the gameplay of another directly/indirectly) above would work. In either case, if a multiplayer game were to made, I'd prefer it go all-out. Think Resident Evil 5 multiplayer, just without all that action, in conventional Silent Hill environments.

But there would be so many restrictions on gameplay that it probably wouldn't even be "multiplayer" in the first place; nor would it be fun (isn't that what multiplayer is about?) And that would all stem from the developing team's inevitable avoidance of offending a fiesty, hormonal fanbase. :roll:

On second thought, maybe it would be better if there weren't a multiplayer Silent Hill game. After HD Collection and BoM, I don't think I can handle another bout of whining and death threats. But to reminisce, nothing beats the experience of sharing a Silent Hill game with a Silent-Hill-virgin playing right next to you, or even better--being the virgin yourself ;)

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Mar 2013
Notes left: 46
Last seen at: In your inventory!
There's been a hell of a lot of discussion on SH+NEW things(in general) and I'm not a whiner generally,but no...no there has to be a limit somewhere,and apart from the whole idea being non functionable in many ways, and as someone said before me the core must remain the same if there's to be any continuation.I already mentioned before somewhere,that we had a step in the right direction with Downpour after Origins and Homecoming (IMO always) so I'm somehow optimistic once again for the future of the series and hope for further improvement on the base DP set.

teosoleil wrote:
But to reminisce, nothing beats the experience of sharing a Silent Hill game with a Silent-Hill-virgin playing right next to you, or even better--being the virgin yourself ;)

God!That's SO true! :)

~Herodotus~

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4683
Last seen at: Colorado
I think the series would be better off just not going there. Most SH fans will not be happy with a multiplayer SH, no matter how they do it.

However, I always felt that if a multiplayer installment WERE to be done, it should be the sort of thing where players would be playing separately for almost the entire game. Two or three players would be plenty. Each player is a character with their own story (I don't mean self-created characters/stories), and the actions of each player will affect things that the other will find/encounter/learn. There would be a few crossings of paths during the game/opportunities to help each other or find out how the stories are related, if they are.
It would be pretty difficult for this game to be made and done well, though, I'd think.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3228
phantomess wrote:
However, I always felt that if a multiplayer installment WERE to be done

It already WAS done, with Book of Memories for the Vita. Which was imo the only way to really make an online multiplayer SH work, by being a spin-off with a radically different gameplay style. While some of the ideas people here have come up with are definitely unique, I just don't think co-op works in the traditional SH style. Book of Memories did it pretty well by taking a genre that works much better for multiplayer and giving it a SH twist as opposed to giving a traditional SH game a multiplayer twist. It's just a shame nobody has a Vita...

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4683
Last seen at: Colorado
^Of course, I know of BOM. :P I was just thinking of a multiplayer installment of the main SH series.