Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 16 Jan 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: kojima hinting silent-hill-game

Missing since: 01 Jun 2008
Notes left: 3453
Last seen at: New Jersey
Mephisto wrote:
Kojipro proved that they can make a good and tense atmosphere with MGS3 but that's it. Quite frankly, the whole team still needs to prove more. That they can really work on a horror game, you know.

Yep, when I say Kojipro I really mean it. I don't think Kojima would go alone to work on the next SH game, he would sure as Hell move with his pack. Maybe not with the entire group but with the key members.

As long as he doesn't touch the story it's fine. I really like MGS' story but what they did with Castlevania LoS' story, with the advices from Kojima himself, was really stupid. Until the end of the game, that is. The next title looks promising...

Well, they could prove that by making a Silent Hill game. And if that offends the fanbase so much then maybe he could make a "gaiden" game to get his feet wet.

I don't agree with your take on Lords of Shadow, however. While I have no problems with Koji Igarashi's Castlevania storyline, it doesn't really go anywhere. At all. Dracula is resurrected whenever someone feels like it; originally it was supposed to be every 100 years but then you have the likes of Isaac, Death, Shaft, etc. just resurrecting Dracula willy-nilly.

In contrast, the Lords of Shadow storyline looks like it could be a simple trilogy (I hate that one of the games is going to be for the 3DS), with Gabriel as Dracula and his sons doing whatever they'll be doing. I did enjoy LoS's ending. My only major gripe with the game, from a nitpicky point of view, is how utterly anachronistic the game is. It would've made sense to maybe place the game in the 16th century, not the 11th.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 19 Oct 2012
Notes left: 5
I hope Kojima Productions making a new title.Thoose guys or not anybody and they have high quality games.I mean how bad will it be this time?Give it a try.You cant Kojima Production compare with Vatra or Double Helix.This company has a lot more money and developers with a huge potential.First a lot of people are hating because american guys making Silent Hill and not Japanese guys and now maybe we have japanese guys and that is also bad.I cant understand this.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
People are wary because Kojima is a really, really bad writer, and has never done a horror game on top of that. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's Japanese.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
AuraTwilight wrote:
People are wary because Kojima is a really, really bad writer.

Don't say that like it's a fact. There are a number of people in this forum who disagree.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 13 Jun 2007
Notes left: 811
Last seen at: Brazil
Tons of rehashed ideas from films delivered in a clumsy way through insane amounts of redundant dialogue and huge chunks of exposition. Clearly a grade A writer.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 19 May 2009
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Some random piece of land enclosed by imaginary lines drawn on a map based on past conflict results.
I've heard similar comments about the Silent Hill games. Doesn't mean they're fact.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
I don't think Kojima is a bad writer. I do think he has bad habits which have gotten worse the more successful his franchises have gotten. And he probably doesn't have what it takes to write a decent screenplay for a movie. But having said that, Metal Gear Solid 3 has one of the best storylines in modern gaming, so I think he deserves some credit.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7974
Last seen at: Nowhere
^ The story of MGS2 is far superior. MGS3 appeals more to the audience perhaps because of that emotion shit or whatever...

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 13 Jun 2007
Notes left: 811
Last seen at: Brazil
Agent of God wrote:
I've heard similar comments about the Silent Hill games. Doesn't mean they're fact.

The redundant dialogue, hour long exposition cutscenes and rehashed stuff from movies are there in most Kojima games, it's a fact, what's not set in stone is if you think that's acceptable or not. I'm in the "that's horrible storytelling" camp.

Agent of God wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
People are wary because Kojima is a really, really bad writer.

Don't say that like it's a fact. There are a number of people in this forum who disagree.

But the people who ARE wary of Kojima working on the game are because they feel he is a bad writer. Please, connect the first and second parts of the sentence. I'm not even saying I personally feel he's a shit writer, I'm just reporting what skeptics are saying is the reason they're skeptical.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 1196
Last seen at: Night Springs
I think he is a fine writer, my problem with him hopping on further Silent Hill games is recently the games have been really great and Kojima's style is a bit....self indulgent? I guess?
He likes to reference himself, and has a love affair with breaking the fourth wall or strange humor seeping in to moments in games which otherwise would be serious.
I don't think he would take the series seriously is what I'm getting at.
It'd just be a cute project to him but not anything to put actual effort into

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Having humor placed into a game, story, or any kind of media that is serious does not mean the creator isn't taking it seriously. All of those elements are used in MGS to a great degree, but it was never misplaced or detrimental to the tone of the stories.
Kojima will never work on a SH project, but the man obviously isn't so dense as to not realize that SH calls for a different tone and pacing than his IPs.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
A Silent Hill game breaking the fourth wall could prove interesting, in regard of how surnatural this universe is.

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Heather looking directly at the screen after being disgusted with the dirty toilet she almost reached into was a way of breaking the fourth wall.
Excellent moment too. lol

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 05 Apr 2010
Notes left: 23
Mephisto wrote:
^ The story of MGS2 is far superior. MGS3 appeals more to the audience perhaps because of that emotion shit or whatever...

If it weren't for MGS2's story, I wouldn't have played it as much as I did. It reminds me of the first time I got through SH1 and said, "What the hell just happened? I'm going to have to play this again." And play again I did.... And every playthrough revealed a little bit more that I didn't catch or notice the time before. I kinda like when that happens.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 02 Jan 2010
Notes left: 1725
Last seen at: Canadiania
I wouldn't be okay with Kojima writing a Silent Hill game. I try so hard to like Kojima, but I find his writing poor--high school creative writing project poor. WAY too much exposition, to the point where MGS4 had to utilize actual graphs to explain the convoluted storyline. Overt, unrealistic exposition is something I want to keep out of my Silent Hill games. Just my opinion.

Merely overseeing the project--yes, I'd be all for that. I may not be a fan of his writing, but I don't think some assistance from a Konami veteran could hurt at all.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 21 Feb 2012
Notes left: 199
Last seen at: Lost Empire Of Rieubane
I just finished Mgs3 and its the first in the series that I played and I was simply amazed with it, everything from the environment and the story, I absolutely loved it, and I think if he where to work on a silent hill game it would make the series even better than they are already.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 16 Oct 2012
Notes left: 157
Last seen at: Portland
Hey guys.

Do you believe love can bloom in the Otherworld?

I know that's a gag, but it kind of defuses for me since love is the number one main theme of the Silent Hill narrative. XD

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
Kojima can assist with overlooking the project in terms of assisting with the functionality of the engine, but that's about it....depending on the talent of the artists at kojimas camp, i would say let them craft the enviroments and otherworld aspects or even tap Ito for some traditional creature designs and maybe akira (even tho he may not be really needed)..but even tho those cats don't work for konami, i think they would still sign on to do a project such as this...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next