Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 22 Oct 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: kojima hinting silent-hill-game

Missing since: 13 Jun 2007
Notes left: 811
Last seen at: Brazil
AuraTwilight wrote:
I know that's a gag, but it kind of defuses for me since love is the number one main theme of the Silent Hill narrative. XD

If Kojima get his hands on the franchise the only thing you'll be able to defuse is your sins!

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Nov 2011
Notes left: 142
People who say Kojima has bad writing forget that Silent hill is not all about having that amazing plot. Harry potter is. Silent hill has deep characters and monsters, but the plot itself isn't that big. that's because, other than sh0,1 and 3, all the stories don't interact with each other a lot. 4 has some connections with 2, but that's mostly it.

Look at SH2: it uses one of the most cliche plot twists ever, but the way it is used is just so amazing that theres no way you would not like it. I like that the guy said he was focusing on the atmosphere to make the game more scary, something I haven't seen since SH 4. Downpour is just the opposite from scary, I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Quote:
Downpour is just the opposite from scary, I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

What's scary is subjective, and in regards to tension and scares, Downpour did a decent job for me. It made me tense in quite a few areas, which is something I havn't been able to say since SH4.
I do agree with everything else you said though.

Well, except SH2 using "the most cliche plot twist ever". It's not as if it's been done a hundred times. I'v only ever seen that particular plot twist twice in my life, with the 2nd being Need for Speed Carbon on PSP strangely. :lol:

Brookhaven Receptionist

CandyLander wrote:
People who say Kojima has bad writing forget that Silent hill is not all about having that amazing plot. Harry potter is. Silent hill has deep characters and monsters, but the plot itself isn't that big. that's because, other than sh0,1 and 3, all the stories don't interact with each other a lot. 4 has some connections with 2, but that's mostly it.

Look at SH2: it uses one of the most cliche plot twists ever, but the way it is used is just so amazing that theres no way you would not like it. I like that the guy said he was focusing on the atmosphere to make the game more scary, something I haven't seen since SH 4. Downpour is just the opposite from scary, I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

You can't have deep characters and monsters with bad writing, also being big and interacting with each other has nothing to do with the writing quality.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Nov 2011
Notes left: 142
Interacting with each other does have something to do with the plot. And you're right, you can't have deep characters and monsters with bad writing. The thing is that the newest silent hill game's writing isn't that amazing. at all.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Nope, that has nothing to do with the writing quality, you can do an awesome self contained story and a pretty bad one that's not as self contained.

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
None of the originals had spotless writing in quite a few places either. The one that had the best writing in it was SH2, but even it had a few weak spots (which is understandble. Rare is it for any given medium to have perfect writing throughout.)
The new games do just fine in the writing department for me, and honestly Kojima isn't that bad of a writer. His stories get a little out of control because he seems to try shoving everything in like he has ADD while writing out these plots, but a self contained one off game I think he would do fine with.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 405
What is this I hear about messy exposition? Is Kojima going to give is Revelations: Part 2?

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3362
Metal Gear is very content heavy. That's its thing. It's made for political, history, gun, sci-fi & military fanatics. Dicussing all this stuff and listening to it is therefore fun for that audience. This is where the bulk of MGS's conversations lie. They are of course expository by nature and get into minute detail.

Kojima also doesn't write everything himself. He comes up with the main overall scenario and much of the other stuff is filled in by others.

I have faith in Kojima Productions to deliver a good Silent Hill. And by good, I just strictly mean a good one, not necessarily one that surpasses everyone's favourites.

At the very lest you're guaranteed a quality product. Heck Kojima even went back and patched the ZOE collection and it's apaprently amazing now. If he was in charge of the Silent Hill HD collection, he wouldn't let that disgrace slip through.

Sadly if they're making one I wouldn't expect to see anything about it until 2016 as MGSV is set to be released by 2015 at the latest.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 10 Oct 2008
Notes left: 883
I'm still surprised they'd even consider Kojima. They keep hounding this guy to continue his cash cow Metal Gear series, long after what I imagine is the game he'd like to have stopped at.

I'd personally like to see what he can do with this series. I remember first hearing about it a while back and now more recently someone will throw this out there and mention this to me quite regularly.

I could see him making a main theme that'd he like to portray in this game and even if it's not the most original, they way he and his team put dialogue and time period references in, it'd at least be memorable and interesting.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
If there's one thing that Kojima does consistently well, it's tell an entertaining story and since a big part of the Silent Hill franchise is story-telling I'd love to see what he can do with it.

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3362
Kojima most likely would just produce the game and contribute ideas. But here's hoping he can pull some of the old team back together. KP seems to care and listen to fans, sometimes even to its detrimentas some decisions behind parts of MGS4 attest to.

Konami's leaning on him chiefly because as we've seen he's the only one who knows what he's doing. His staff is talented, but none of them seem capable of being in charge given RISING's development history and the loss of other Konami projects that ended up shit or shelved if not outsourced.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8