Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 24 Jan 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Silent Hill 2 & 3 Graphic Optimization tips

Missing since: 06 Sep 2012
Notes left: 19
I'm assuming you have already managed to get the games running on your desired resolution, if not please read the following guides by our forummers:

thagerty SH 1080p Guide
http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23571

Rayder's SH2 Guide
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23610&p=615226#p615226

I'm writing this short guide after playing around with the settings for few hours. These games are pretty hard to tweak as they don't usually respond to default graphic card commands even you force them.

I tried Catalyst Control Center, it doesn't have much effect on these games so i suggest you don't create any profiles for them.

For 64bit users who have problem with D3DOverider, I use RadeonPRO instead to force the games into running my settings:
http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/

It's free & simple installation, compatible with 64bit Windows. It also comes with the function of Full Licensed FRAPS like FPS (location/opacity), Screenshots, Benchmark etc.

For SH2:
To permanently make SH2 work on Single processor during launch:
Right Click Silent Hill 2 shortcut, select properties, at the target enter with all the quotes:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" /affinity 1 "D:\Games\Silent Hill\Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut\sh2pc.exe"

Remember to modify your SH2 folder destination in the target to suit your actual folder!
Affinity command will force SH2 to run in desired single core Affinity 1 = CPU0, 2 = CPU1.

In order to get both Lens Flare & Advanced Filters to work, you need to make sure you graphic card didn't force AntiAliasing on the game. Once in game you'd be able to select both functions. After that as mentioned by Rayder alt+tab to desktop and activate your profiles to get all AA/LF/AF.

In the SH2 folder you can find settings.ini, if you don't think you gonna make any changes you can lock it to read only, below is my setting:

SET DX_CONFIG_EFFECT_FOG_ON 1
SET DX_CONFIG_EFFECT_SHADOWS_ON 1
SET DX_CONFIG_EFFECT_LENS_FLARE_ON 1
SET DX_CONFIG_EFFECT_MOTION_BLUR_ON 1
SET DX_CONFIG_EFFECT_DEPTH_OF_FIELD_ON 1
SET DX_CONFIG_RES 1
SET DX_CONFIG_USE_LORES_TEXTURES 0
SET DX_CONFIG_3D_SOUND_HARDWARE 0
SET DX_CONFIG_3D_SOUND_HARDWARE_AVAILABLE 0
SET DX_CONFIG_BRIGHTNESS 3
SET DX_CONFIG_SCREEN_POS_X 0
SET DX_CONFIG_SCREEN_POS_Y 0
SET DX_CONFIG_NOISE 0

doesn't hurt to have motion blur & DOF on.

This game is quite old you should not have problem maxing out, here are my profiles for SH2 on RadeonPro, just click the small + icon to add profile & select sh2pc.exe:

Visual:
AA (overide application settings) - 8xEQ
Morphological Filtering - Checked
Anti-Aliasing Filter - Multisampling (Box)
Anti-Aliasing Mode - Supersample
Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
Tessellation Control - 32x (or x64 if you want)
Vertical Sync Control (Always On) (Vsync might cause audio lag, you can test with the 1st toilet cutscene, if it lags, the subtitle will show after James speaks)

Advanced:
I assume SH2 uses D3D but doesn't hurt to check the boxes for
Force-Triple-Buffering
Anisotropic Optimization
Trilinear Optimization
Enable Surface Format Optimization
Texture Filtering Quality
Mipmap Quality - High

Tweaks (D3D):
Vsync Control (Always On) (Not sure the difference between this & V-sync control in "Visual".
As advised by forummers don't enable Triple buffering.
Set your desired Display Refresh rate
Leave the rest unchecked other than:
If you using Multicore processor, select the CPU you want, for me i checked CPU0, just make sure it's consistant with the Affinity you assigned in your shortcut.

Leave the rest as it is.

To launch the game, quit Radeon Profiles (make sure to right click exit at systemtray because clicking X only minimize).
Click the Silent Hill Shortcut you modified.
Go into Option & Advance to make sure all the effects you want are on. Alt+Tab out to windows and activate RadeonPro & select SH2 profile, right click & select apply now to be sure. You can use the FPS to monitor your performance.

There is chance that you may experience audio lag in cutscenes. You can test in the 1st toilet cutscene if the subtitle shows after James has spoken then you got some lag. Try uncheck Vertical Sync Control in "Visual" tab, leave Vsync Control on "Tweaks" Always On and see.

With my HD5730 I manage to get 22-30FPS. Some cutscenes may drop to 14-18FPS like the one in the Toilet where James speaks. If you get major lag, just disable all VSync. With noise on you can hardly see the screen tear. Unlike Silent Hill 3.

Also a note for those wanting to get the sound patch, it only works with unmodified Silent Hill 2 Installation. Make sure you patch it after installation and then do all these mods.

Last edited by potato on 26 Sep 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill 2 & 3 Graphic Optimization tips

For Silent Hill 3, it's much simpler but also tricky. Tricky meaning if you mess up, the game may continuously force you into "Safe Graphic Mode".

1st thing 1st, enter the game and make changes in the Option, make all changes you want on the graphic also in advance/game etc, don't worry about the key settings you can do it outside the game easier. Exit the game and a disp.ini & key.ini will be created in your SH3->Savedata folder. Great!

Now open up SH3Config.exe, you can make further changes esp on the key configs here by clicking on the tabs.

Once you are done exit SH3Config. Open up the disp.ini in your savedata and make changes:

format=D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
gamma_b=1.000000
gamma_g=1.000000
gamma_r=1.000000
lensflare_ztest=0
mode=fullscreen
resolution=2048x2048
shadow=0
size=1920x1080

The format seems to change everytime you make changes so don't mind it.
resolution is the texture resolution, you can change it in SH3Config, for me i set at 2048x2048 as at 4096x4096 i suffer big fps drop.

size is your desired screen resolution in my case 1080p

*Note: Once you made these changes, if you go into SH3Config or ingame Option, it will mess up the settings and you may have to remodify the disp.ini so make a backup & copy it back if it does.

You should be changing your FOV using SH3FOV.exe hack you can find in the above forummer's thread. My config file for 1920x1080 is (will be created once you run SH3FOV.exe once):

[Main]
FOV=85
wFOV=120

To get the FOV running you need to open up SH3FOV & leave it there then enter the game.
You'd also need a keyboard with NUMPAD to use the function as the activiation key is * on NUMPAD (will not work with shift+8), deactivate is / on NUMPAD. You need to do this everytime you start the game.

Now to setup your game profile in RadeonPro just like for Silent Hill 2, except now you don't need to exit RadeoPro before you start the game (Hurray no more alt+tab!). Advance graphic doesn't gets disabled when you have AA running like in SH2.

Create a profile for Silent Hill 3 like you did for SH2, select the sh3.exe

Visual:
AA (overide application settings) - 8xEQ
Morphological Filtering - Checked
Anti-Aliasing Filter - Multisampling (Box)
Anti-Aliasing Mode - Supersample
Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
Tessellation Control - 32x (or x64 if you want)
Vertical Sync Control (Always On)

Advanced:
I assume SH3 uses D3D but doesn't hurt to check the boxes for
Force-Triple-Buffering
Anisotropic Optimization
Trilinear Optimization
Enable Surface Format Optimization
Texture Filtering Quality
Mipmap Quality - High

Tweaks (D3D):
Vsync Control (Always On (Double Vsync)) (This will cut fps down to half...)
Check Triple buffering
Check Force Agressive API detection level
Set your desired Display Refresh rate
It's OK for SH3 to run on multicore so i'd just leave the CPU Affinity to default (All)
Leave the rest untouched.

With these settings I manage average 30FPS in game. Very minor screentear & no audio lag during cutscenes. The reason why I selected Double Vsync is because this game is very hardheaded when it comes down to Vsnyc, it simply refuses to Vsync with just "Always On", so to force Vsync down Heather's throat i selected Double Vsync/Triple-Buffering & Force Agressive API detection Level. Whith these hard settings SH3 finally Vsync! The horrible screentearing esp on some cut-scenes has been solved. At the price of 30FPS but the game is still smooth.

With these settings you should get a better experience.

*If you happen to experience "safe graphic mode", go into the game once with save mode & exit properly. If it happens again, exit RadeonPro, enter SH3Config & exit this will repair the game. Enter the game & exit properly, then make changes on the disp.ini according to your preference & re open RadeoPro and activate SH3 profiles. This should solve the problem. Remember you have to remodify the disp.ini everytime you use the SH3Config or go into ingame option (even if you didn't save changes).

Hope with this quick guide as a complement, you can finally experience the real Silent Hill.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Apr 2006
Notes left: 132
You've got a lot of unnecessary stuff in those guides. There shouldn't be any need to tweak with the config files or any third party configurator like RadeonPro, as all the necessary options are game's menus. Also, there's no need to worry about triple buffer driver setting, as the games are Direct3D and MS doesn't allow drivers control over triple buffering in D3D.

Also, some quick links to widescreen hacks for SH2, SH3, and SH4.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
Quote:
For SH2:
To permanently make SH2 work on Single processor during launch:
Right Click Silent Hill 2 shortcut, select properties, at the target enter with all the quotes:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" /affinity 1 "D:\Games\Silent Hill\Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut\sh2pc.exe"

Remember to modify your SH2 folder destination in the target to suit your actual folder!
Affinity command will force SH2 to run in desired single core Affinity 1 = CPU0, 2 = CPU1.

I tried this and it doesn't work. The game started but then the audio loops and crap started. It obviously wasn't on one core.

Just Passing Through

You run the game with the shortcut you modified, alt+tab and go to task manager, process, right click sh2pc select set affinity and tell me all CPU are still checked, i just tested without Radeopro on and it only shows CPU0, I'm on windows 7 64bit by the way.

The sound loop you'd need the soundfix patch, it can only be installed on unmodified installation. From what i remember people saying the multicore problem is the game will make the CPU run on very high which result in high temperature, forcing it to single core solves the problem, it's not a sure hit solution for sound looping.

silenthell88 wrote:
Quote:
For SH2:
I tried this and it doesn't work. The game started but then the audio loops and crap started. It obviously wasn't on one core.

Just Passing Through

There is no other way to enable motion blur & DOV in SH2 other than editing the config file. I'm not sure what visual affects it gives but i hear it makes the game & cutscenes look slightly better. It's optional anyway. Unless 0 is On, 1 is Off. :x

You'd need to Modify SH3 config file in order to get the resolution you desire above certain resolution e.g 1920x1080. You can try Hex edit it if you want.

I'm using Catalyst Control Center by default, and obviously i can tell it's not forcing SH2 & SH3 to run at my desired settings, and yes i have verified, the FPS tells alot of stories. So i had to resort to 3rd party, anyway the setting is similar to most graphic card settings, Maybe you are using Nvidia Control i hear it works on them. D3DOverider works but not on Windows 64bit, so i found RadeonPro and it works.

After reading again your post, you mention all options are in games menu? OK you can just play the game stock if you want to without the AA and stuffs your card can do (unless you already forced it on). I don't know about triple buffering in D3D part but since it's there in the RadeonPro option i just enabled it. People has been saying there is a difference with Triple buffering on at least SH2, enabling it result in hair tearing effects. Anyway the methods above is the only way for me to get at least Vsync which i can confirm visually.

Good to post those links but all information are available and more clearly elaborated in the 2 forummers' links i posted. I'm writing this for those that wish to utilize their graphic cards more but needed some guide.

kyleb wrote:
You've got a lot of unnecessary stuff in those guides. There shouldn't be any need to tweak with the config files or any third party configurator like RadeonPro, as all the necessary options are game's menus. Also, there's no need to worry about triple buffer driver setting, as the games are Direct3D and MS doesn't allow drivers control over triple buffering in D3D.

Just Passing Through

The sound loops with multiple cores regardless of the patch, but your instructions on setting affinity in the shortcut works fine for me.

As for motion blur and DOF, you can add those lines to the config, but I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have any motion blur or DOF regardless, on any platform. Granted, going into the config for SH3 to set a custom resolution is good, but other than there's no need to mess with the configs. Also, Vsync should work fine from CCC or NVC, as does forcing anti-alising on SH2 as long as you're willing to live with some nasty seams and no Lens Flare & Advanced Filters, and AA simply can't work at all in SH3, so again no need for anything like RadeonPro.

Just Passing Through

What works for you may have not worked for me or other setup. I'm using latest version of CCC mobility on HD5730. At least the CCC Vsync on SH3 i can confirm it doesn't work unless i force double vsync on 3rd party as the screen tears so obvious in the cutscenes. I've googled before i posted and i can see some people also have problem forcing vsync.

The motion blur & DOF commands are by default in SH2 config, but set to 0. I did not add those lines but merely change them to 1 instead.

You can get lens flare, advanced filter to work with AA as long as you disable AA before you go into the game and enable AA by alt+tab to windows once you enabled LF & AF.

The only thing i mentioned to change in SH3 disp.ini is the size. It's also easier to change the texture resolution via disp.ini file since everytime you open up SH3Config.exe or ingame option it will mess up the settings. You can choose to of course go through the hassle of changing it in game then exit & edit the size but what's the point, you'd probably crash the game before you get to exit.

As long as you are happy with your settings.

*PS. I'm have no affiliation with RadeonPro, i came across it 2 days back in another forum while looking for alternatives for D3Doverider. If you thinking what i'm thinking. :lol:

kyleb wrote:
The sound loops with multiple cores regardless of the patch, but your instructions on setting affinity in the shortcut works fine for me.

As for motion blur and DOF, you can add those lines to the config, but I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have any motion blur or DOF regardless, on any platform. Granted, going into the config for SH3 to set a custom resolution is good, but other than there's no need to mess with the configs. Also, Vsync should work fine from CCC or NVC, as does forcing anti-alising on SH2 as long as you're willing to live with some nasty seams and no Lens Flare & Advanced Filters, and AA simply can't work at all in SH3, so again no need for anything like RadeonPro.

Just Passing Through

Nah, I just suspect that recommending a bunch of needless complications might scare less technically inclined people away from trying the PC versions, which would be a shame as they are great ports that are generally very easy to get running well.

Just Passing Through

well if they are less technically inclined than i suppose they won't be looking at tweak guides & just happy playing it with what the game originally designed for.

If you really think it brings more negative i'll be happy to remove this thread seeing you're the only guy reading it now and i can see you don't really need the guide anyway.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
I tried a nice ENB mod for SH2 and it made the game look amazing. It's like a PS3 game now or something. I just wish I could get that shortcut thing to work. I tried every directions I can find on the net & can't get it to work. I'm stuck with audio looping because minimizing the game causing it to crash with the ENB mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r57v79bb78iz9us

Put that in your game folder where the exe file is. When the game starts it might already be on or else hold shift+F12 to enable. It's already on when the game starts for me. It makes the game have updated graphics.

Just Passing Through

I tried one ENB before, seems to have no change in graphic except less framerate.

i tried the link you put up, seems it's another ENB mod.

The mod made the game look too bright, takes away the gloomy rustly look, but object look more obvious. Also i note some DOV effects you can tell by looking at the trees when James come out of the toilet.

The logo was annoying. While it does make the game look different, i felt the original look is better in terms of silent hill feel. I also have problem with alt+tab crashing the game with the mod.

Also i suffer big fps drop, only 15 which is half of 30 in original. Pretty hardware intensive.

silenthell88 wrote:
I tried a nice ENB mod for SH2 and it made the game look amazing. It's like a PS3 game now or something. I just wish I could get that shortcut thing to work. I tried every directions I can find on the net & can't get it to work. I'm stuck with audio looping because minimizing the game causing it to crash with the ENB mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r57v79bb78iz9us

Put that in your game folder where the exe file is. When the game starts it might already be on or else hold shift+F12 to enable. It's already on when the game starts for me. It makes the game have updated graphics.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 17 Feb 2013
Notes left: 2
I've done about all the tips here and pulling hair out, SH3.

Using dual core AMD system with NV GT 430

I'll nab a newer driver if available. I decided to install this game (lots of unplayed old games) and it wont run... grrr..

I get the the violence warning page.. and ERROR

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 913
Last seen at: Ohio
dinwitty wrote:

I'll nab a newer driver if available. I decided to install this game (lots of unplayed old games) and it wont run... grrr..

What is the error?

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 17 Feb 2013
Notes left: 2
peronmls wrote:
dinwitty wrote:

What is the error?

sh3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..blah blah

details...

AppName sh3.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName clm1splter.ax
ModVer: 2.0,0,1231 Offset 0000647c

Exception...

Code 0xc0000005 flags 0x00000000
record 0x0000000000000000 address 0x000000001c40647c

files noted

sh3.exe
ntdll.dll