Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 19 Oct 2018

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: Will there be some Silent Hill news at E3?

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3228
There are plenty of survival horror, strategy, and adventure games (well, moreso the latter two). Both indie and big budget. You're being hyperbolic, or you just aren't looking in the right place for your game announcements. The stuff at E3 is always going to be the major stuff they try to sell to everyone. That's a tiny fraction of the games released every year.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
NanayaShiki wrote:
There are plenty of survival horror, strategy, and adventure games (well, moreso the latter two). Both indie and big budget. You're being hyperbolic, or you just aren't looking in the right place for your game announcements. The stuff at E3 is always going to be the major stuff they try to sell to everyone. That's a tiny fraction of the games released every year.

There are some indie market survival horror games, but those are mostly on pc (amnesia and a few others..etc) and i don't do pc gaming. I'm thinking as far as consoles go...at the moment i can only think of RE,SH, Siren, Deadly Premonition, Dead Space, Alan Wake, Condemmned...and Last of Us...

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1445
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
NanayaShiki wrote:

I'm talking about whats trendy and whats not, not what's available. I'm talking about what kind of games I see my friends playing, and what kind of games I hear people talk about in public places.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Silent Hill was trendy?

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 405
Jonipoon wrote:
In today's market its either all about action and FPS, FIFA or silly smartphone games. The good ol' days of survival horror, strategy, adventure and tycoon is over.

Jonipoon wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:

I'm talking about whats trendy and whats not, not what's available. I'm talking about what kind of games I see my friends playing, and what kind of games I hear people talk about in public places.

Now there are "plenty" of survival horror games, just not as much when compared to all the action/FPS games being churned out right now. Survival horror games have never been trendy, they've only catered to a niche audience that has gotten smaller starting the early 2000's.

However, the survival horror market seems to be opening up and growing now, looking at all the indie survival horror games making their rounds on PC. Part of this might be due to the success of Amnesia; I don't recall seeing much independent horror games on PC before its release and acclaim.

Let's see what Shinji Mikami hopes to do with The Evil Within. Apparently he's aiming to reinvigorate the genre as he did with RE4.

Back to the topic, Silent Hill needs a long break right now. I hope Konami has learned the consequences of handling game development carelessly and rushing releases. I'd be happy if Silent Hill makes a successful comeback a couple of years from now after a little rest to clear the heads of developers and the fandom.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

The audience for survival horror, strategy, and adventure games has not decreased at all. Video games are just more common and popular now. Odds are everyone that plays only FPS would not have been playing video games back before the genre existed. I guess I just don't see the point in being upset because your favorite type of game isn't as popular as FPS. Like, seriously, why let it bother you? As long as those games you like still exist and continue to be made (which they do), who cares that more people like other genres?

But, whatever. I don't see the point in the majority of attitudes I find in online video game communities these days. So I must just not "get it". Everyone can have fun being upset that not everything is exactly what they want it to be, I'll be enjoying video games.

Missing since: 16 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1129
If anything, a Silent Hill reboot would be welcomed on my end. Not to say there isn't a lot they could do keeping the town's mythology and reputation as it is. I've just become a lot more openminded about this sort of thing after the new Tomb Raider. Though, in all honesty, I believe Downpour was headed in the right direction. It hit the nail on the head several times, though missed pretty bad another few times.

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
With how the franchise is in general, a reboot would be pointless. Plot wise, the stories have so much freedom to do whatever that it just doesn't make sense, and bringing back old characters and plot points wouldn't be interesting to anyone already familiar with the series. The gameplay also tends to change almost completely since Origins.
The town can't even stay the same and either goes to yet another new area or is just remade to a near unrecognizable point, so your pretty much getting something new with each release anyway.

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1241
^^^What Silent stated...this series doesn't need a reboot. It has the potential to be fantastic because you aren't tied to a string of permanent characters and each story is set up to be completely different.

Of course it's easier said than done, but my point is that with the SH games, it has always seemed to revolve around a dead relative/amnesia type scenarios. And every game doesn't always have to be about those themes.

i mentioned at another forum that you can have a finacial advisor that has scammed people out of millions and have the monsters be based on the victims he took advantaged of...or a story revolving around a very sick person and his struggles showing him dealing with it..etc...my point is that there are really a ton of different avenues the series can take with just a bit of creativity.

Last edited by clips on 07 Jun 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, and I believe I mentioned something along the lines of the series still being able to do a lot with what's already been established for the town in terms of mythology and reputation.

A reboot wouldn't necessarily see the same characters differently, like with Shattered Memories, but would likely focus more on the town somehow being a different entity. You could come up with a million ideas for throwing people and their baggage in Silent Hill, but it wouldn't mean anything if developers don't become innovative with their game design.

The newer Tomb Raiders, like Underworld, felt redundant in a way and I was losing interest in the series. Then the reboot allowed developers to take the same concept and abandon all reason and just go for it. I feel Shattered Memories did this awesomely, and while Downpour incorporated elements from both new and tried 'n true worlds, it didn't feel quite as liberated as Shattered Memories. Yet, still an awesome game full of lovely rule breaking in the Silent Hill world as far as I'm concerned.

And I loved that, that Downpour came off in such a way that the developers didn't seem to care if they stepped away from what is expected of Silent Hill. Just judge the game visually and there's already a lot to speak for. But of course, games aren't solely visual experiences, but also playable ones, logical ones, emotional ones... Game makers as teams have a lot of responsibility, and I'm usually a happy gamer if they get two or so things right. We've been fortunate fans to see the series be handed around to different studios, if you ask me. Well, both fortunate and unfortunate.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 22 Jun 2010
Notes left: 58
Last seen at: Brazil
I don't believe we're going to see anything at this E3. I think Silent Hill needs an hiatus, like most of the folks here seem to think as well. To let some fresh air and creativity go into the minds of Konami, so that they stop handling this franchise so poorly. There' so much potential in Silent Hill, that sometimes I think they probably don't see it that way.

Also, I don't think SH needs a reboot. It can be reinvented in numerous ways; for example, even for how messy Homecoming was at some points, I really liked how they added to the general mythos of the town itself. There's plenty of opportunity and it can go down in MANY different ways... they just need the right developers to give us something truly refreshing.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

The Konami Pre-Show already happened and there was no SH news. So, yeah, like we all suspected, no SH at E3. Because there were two full new games and a HD Collection last year.

I'm still having fun with the rest of the games, so I'm pretty satisfied for now myself. I agree that the series needs some time away from development. I'll still be curious to see who the next group is developing a new title, though. Assuming there will be another.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 20 Oct 2012
Notes left: 140
The series doesn't need a reboot as it's already been doing just that. We've already had several games trying new ideas. And just because there hasn't been any SH news at E3 doesn't mean there couldn't be another in planning or even pre-production.

Remember there was a good period of silence on the SH front after Origins and Homecoming came out. Many fans had wondered back then if the series had been exhausted and if we had seen the last of it. Then we got Shattered Memories. We'll just have to wait and see. But no matter what happens...who develops, why, when, where, how...there will always be bitchy SH fans.

We may see another SH game again, but not for a few years. I don't mind. Downpour was by no means perfect, but a great return to form.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 674
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
stonecoldsteveurkel wrote:
Remember there was a good period of silence on the SH front after Origins and Homecoming came out. Many fans had wondered back then if the series had been exhausted and if we had seen the last of it. Then we got Shattered Memories.

This also happened after SH4. The series went pretty damn quiet and a lot of fans thought the series was over. There wasn't much optimism at all. Then Origins showed up. Which was also supposed to be a remake of SH1 and the original trailer also looked a lot different from what we got.

Another game will likely be announced in the next year, year and a half or so. As for how it will appear and what direction it will be going in, is pretty in the air.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
Whatever the plan may be for the next Silent Hill game, i do hope Konami isn't gonna put the developer on a strict deadline again. Especially with the HD collection, and in a far lesser extent Origins and Downpour, a lot could have been better if not for the Deadline.
I do think that Wayforward reasoned with Konami to push the deadline, considering the release date, when it was supposed to be released with the HD collection and Downpour...

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1445
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
>A reboot... would likely focus more on the town somehow being a different entity.
I think you're on something here. Going back to the roots of the native american entity?

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
You could go back to the roots of the town without rebooting, so it's still unnecessary for the series.

Unnecessary, sure. But another sequel isn't necessarily necessary, either.

Just the idea of the roots being re-explored separately from what we already know to be Silent Hill sounds interesting to me, and I totally agree that this could be done without rebooting. But being able to abandon everything we know, similar to Shattered Memories, and go a completely different route with the town also sounds appealing. Much more appealing that learning anymore about this wretched cult that's been gutted and hung out to dry.