Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 16 Nov 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Aug 2009
Notes left: 84
Last seen at: veracruz
someone said something about TOOL, if you see the sober video you feel the same anguish and uncertainty like silent hill games, have team silent and akira yamaoka seen those videos?

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2009
Notes left: 648
Tool's animated videos are shameless copies of, or references to according to your opinion, the works of Timothy & Stephen Quay; which in turn are very heavily inspired by the works of Jan Å vankmajer. I would say that it's more likely that the development were influenced by the Quay brothers or Å vankmajer than Adam Jones' music videos, but you never know.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Sep 2007
Notes left: 1030
Last seen at: Brisbane, Australia.
pisces9397 wrote:
Book and Movie : Stephen King's The Mist. Totally influenced Silent Hill.

Someone else who noticed. :wink:

H+

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Sep 2007
Notes left: 945
white rabbit wrote:
What about Steve Kings book IT. A small town based on tourism that has an unspeakable evil able to manifest itself in the shape of your worst fears. The book was great until the last 50 pages- I love Tim Curry :mrgreen:

I was just about to mention that

I read IT a few months ago and outside of The Mist I'd say that this is the Stephen King book that reminds me of Silent Hill the most

what surprised me was how the history of Derry reminded me of the timelines for Silent Hill, the biggest similarity is how all the residents of Derry in the 1800s or 1700s (can't remember which specifically) mysteriously disappeared leaving Derry a ghost town for several years

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
46 and 2, a song by Tool, has similarities in the lyrics to some of the repressive themes in Silent Hill.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Aug 2007
Notes left: 519
Last seen at: Redondo Beach, California
These two pieces by H.R. Giger, which are titled "Schact 6" and "Schact 7" respectively, may have been used by Climax as reference material for the [spoiler]Labyrinth[/spoiler] scene in SH: Shattered Memories. The scene in the game matches so closely with the backgrounds in these pictures, that it seems to be very likely that they were used as reference. I think that the resemblance is greatest with "Schact 6".

http://www.system75.com/gallery/giger/i ... hact_6.jpg

http://www.system75.com/gallery/giger/i ... hact_7.jpg

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jan 2010
Notes left: 1725
Last seen at: Canadiania
Wow, you're right Terminus, those are strikingly similar... Very, very interesting find!

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
Terminus wrote:
These two pieces by H.R. Giger, which are titled "Schact 6" and "Schact 7" respectively, may have been used by Climax as reference material for the [spoiler]Labyrinth[/spoiler] scene in SH: Shattered Memories. The scene in the game matches so closely with the backgrounds in these pictures, that it seems to be very likely that they were used as reference. I think that the resemblance is greatest with "Schact 6".

http://www.system75.com/gallery/giger/i ... hact_6.jpg

http://www.system75.com/gallery/giger/i ... hact_7.jpg

I'd be very surprised if those images weren't a reference. It's too similar looking.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Aug 2008
Notes left: 102
Movie and Novel: "Shutter Island"

[spoiler]I just saw this movie and, knowing all about basic psych/delusional stuff from the Silent Hill games, I guessed the ending and was right about it.

I think the fact that Leo's character Andrew had lobotomy was the inspiration for Alex's Hospital Ending in SH:H. Here are some similarities:

-Both Alex and Andrew/Teddy had lobotomy, creating a delusional world where they're the heroes.
-Both were war vets, though Alex thought he was at first.
-The trauma of a killing was the reason they were committed to the institution (Alex's accident with Josh, and Andrew killing his wife)
-Most importantly, the both weren't unable to accept the truth of their mistakes, thus continuously creating their delusional world where they think they're on to a conspiracy they're trying to solve (Alex with The Order, and Andrew with the brain surgeries.[/spoiler]

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Mar 2006
Notes left: 761
Last seen at: Alternate Madison, WI
I can see where you're coming from with that, and I've only read the book of Shutter Island.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
Metatron wrote:
I am somewhat suprised that no one has mentioned the music of portishead. Listening to portishead is like being in silent hill. I believe I saw a shot of one of their posters in SH1 or SH2. Can anybody confirm? If it wasnt for my admiration of portishead, i probably wouldn't be into silent hill as much as I am now

No way. I hate PortisHead, it's crap music and can't compare to Akira Yamaoka. I can't even believe that they still sell albums.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Apr 2010
Notes left: 23
JamesisBetterThanHarry22 wrote:
Movie and Novel: "Shutter Island"

[spoiler]I just saw this movie and, knowing all about basic psych/delusional stuff from the Silent Hill games, I guessed the ending and was right about it.

I think the fact that Leo's character Andrew had lobotomy was the inspiration for Alex's Hospital Ending in SH:H. Here are some similarities:

-Both Alex and Andrew/Teddy had lobotomy, creating a delusional world where they're the heroes.
-Both were war vets, though Alex thought he was at first.
-The trauma of a killing was the reason they were committed to the institution (Alex's accident with Josh, and Andrew killing his wife)
-Most importantly, the both weren't unable to accept the truth of their mistakes, thus continuously creating their delusional world where they think they're on to a conspiracy they're trying to solve (Alex with The Order, and Andrew with the brain surgeries.[/spoiler]

yes, when i watched the movie it made me think of silent hill...
also some parts of the movie having the same atmosphere as the game. like the burning house and raining ashes.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
I found the CD Anima by Tool had a number of things alike Silent Hill 2, as well as the whole atmosphere of the CD - there has got to be something there at least I think.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Laurie Bembenek.

Missing since: 23 Dec 2009
Notes left: 207
Last seen at: Silent Hill.
I think that Laurie Bembenek is the policewoman murderer that Book of Lost Memories refers to.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I did a search and came up with nothing.

Post subject: Re: Silent Hill Influences/References

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
^I found this thread and felt it appropriate.

While I'm here, I'll post some of the inspirations for Downpour according to this interview.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Jacob’s Ladder, Suspiria, The Walking Dead, Rubber Johnny, Shawshank Redemption, The Fugitive, The Call of Cthulhu.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 21 Feb 2012
Notes left: 199
Last seen at: Lost Empire Of Rieubane
I just got some books that have some silent hill factors :
•Darkness on the edge of town-brian keene
77 Shadow Street-Dean Koontz
The taking-Dean koontz
In silent graves-Gary A.Braunbeck
Audreys Door-Sarah langan

They All Have Somewhat of A silent hill factor in them.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Apr 2012
Notes left: 2
Tsuboyama mentioned in an interview that Ryu Murakami's Coin Locker Babies was an influence for Silent Hill 4. It's about, as you might guess, two boys abandoned in coin lockers as babies by their mothers. Both end up with slightly psychopathic tendencies.

Last edited by cellars on 23 Apr 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 21 Feb 2012
Notes left: 199
Last seen at: Lost Empire Of Rieubane
I was researching some Japanese urban legends and I found some that silent hill may have refrenced to or used the concept of that urban legend

•Hitobashira, or,"Human Pillars
Dating around to the 17th century people used to seal living people in the walls of buildings as sacrifices to the gods. Silent Hll 3 there are legs in the construction site building where you find the silencer. Maybe that person was a sacrafice?

•Hanako- San of the toilet
This urban legend takes place in the bathroom, specifically the 3rd stall from the end(in some versions, its the 3rd floor)but unlike most legends ,where the creature will jump out unprovoked, hanako needs to be summoned by knocking 3 times on the stall door and properly saying"Hanako are you there?" If she says "yes I am" apart from pissing your pants you can get a chance to see her if you open the door, but most likely you'll end up getting killed. In Silent Hill 2 when james is in the prison bathroom in the 3rd stall you knock and nothing happens till you get close to the exit. Could be a refrence or similarity to that legend.

•I recently watched Jacobs Ladder and the scene where Paul Gruniger calls jacob and tells him to meet him, when they meet up Paul tells him what he's seen, and that they're everywhere, he also says" they're coming out of the wall" .Maybe they created the wall men of that line in SH4

Also in Jacobs Ladder in the hospital scene there is a man in a straight jacket , maybe they created the demon patIents of that.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 May 2010
Notes left: 17
Last seen at: The Black Lodge
Grave Encounters seems to be HEAVILY inspired by Silent Hill. It's a more recent indie found-footage movie (even if you don't like found footage, this one is pretty damn good). Basically it's about this ghost hunting TV show crew who spend the night locked in a mental asylum that actually turns out to be haunted.

Without spoiling anything, things get very, VERY Silent Hill-esque. Near the end the main character is running around with a lead pipe, wearing a jacket similar to Harry's. The whole thing just reeks of Silent Hill.

Also, not sure if it had any influence on the games but a lot of Clive Barker's work reminds me of SH.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Dec 2010
Notes left: 451
Butcher Incarnate wrote:
I was researching some Japanese urban legends and I found some that silent hill may have refrenced to or used the concept of that urban legend

•Hitobashira, or,"Human Pillars
Dating around to the 17th century people used to seal living people in the walls of buildings as sacrifices to the gods. Silent Hll 3 there are legs in the construction site building where you find the silencer. Maybe that person was a sacrafice?

It' a reference to Lucio Fulci's 'Black Cat' movie. Heather flat out states what it's a reference to!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next