Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Oct 2018

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Don Carmody: Third SH film installment being discussed

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
Exactly. To me, like I already said, art is a matter of opinion, and it doesn't bother me that people don't like Gans movie. What bothers me is when people are denying how Gans really wanted (and, in my opinion, mostly succeeded) in making a faithful adaptation of the game. Adaptation being, once again the keyword. I wasn't expecting a word for word rendition of the game when I watched the movie the first time. And what I got was a movie that looked like Silent Hill, that sounded like Silent Hill, and that managed to tell an interesting and visceral story while feeling unique. Silent Hill is not your average horror movie, it's a well thought-out piece of art, with stunning visuals, and deep symbolism.

But again, it doesn't bother me that people don't like it.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 549
Last seen at: Phoenix
What are we arguing about again?

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
The thing I love the most about the first SH movie is that so much of Akira's music is used, it really goes a long way to creating the atmosphere for that movie. That's something they screwed up in the sequel, because although they used some of the game's music, it's "remixed" versions which sound horrible.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Much of the music used in the first movie is remixed, to some greater or lesser extent.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 Oct 2009
Notes left: 187
Here's the issue with the second movie's soundtrack. Straight from Jeff Danna's website (bolding is mine):

Quote:
I looked forward to the chance to work again with Akira Yamaoka on another Silent Hill film. The challenge for this film was unique. Michael Bassett's storyline required that I combine Akira's otherworldly textures and sound designs with music that was more emotionally-driven and conventionally harmonic. The dark string passages that intertwine with the intense industrialized sound of Silent Hill are a unique chemistry.

In the first movie, Jeff Danna was able to take the video game tracks and add minimal orchestrations to provide the movement and development required of a movie soundtrack. They didn't stray too far from the musical vocabulary established by the game: cellos, pianos, eerie keyboard tones and the like. And each time a theme cropped, it was with a different orchestration. Listen to the ways "Promise (Reprise)" changed over the course of the movie--each instance, the piano melody essentially stays the same, but the addition of cellos or harp or removal of certain layers develops the theme beyond the static, looping-in-the-background purpose it had in the video game.

In the second movie, due to this direction for a more "conventionally harmonic" sound, we got a lot more of the traditional studio orchestra soundtrack. Which, in an of itself, is not a BAD thing--I love movie soundtracks that use a full studio orchestra, even in horror movies (see: James Newton Howard's soundtracks for The Sixth Sense, Signs, and The Village; Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for the movie Hannibal). It's just not something that we're used to hearing in the auditory landscape of Silent Hill. And those soundtracks I listed don't necessarily use the studio orchestra in a "conventional" way. The orchestrations with the full orchestra in Revelations are, for the most part, DEPRESSINGLY conventional: the string section provides the backbone for most of the soundtrack, and it doesn't vary too much in its orchestrations, giving a feeling of sameness throughout the soundtrack. Harmonically, it's really, REALLY stable. And I get what they were trying to do--start in a place familiar and stable, and progress into someplace dissonant and unstable--but it starts off in SUCH a harmonically simple place, and those places crop up a little too often for my taste.

(As a side note, I'd love to see what someone like James Newton Howard or Thomas Newman could do, combining the themes and orchestrations of Akira Yamaoka's music with a full studio orchestra.)

I bought the second movie's soundtrack, and I listen to it every now and again, because there are some REALLY cool moments in it, but they're surrounded by some very bland writing and orchestration. Part of the problem, too, is just the movie they had to work with: Basset was looking for "emotionally-driven," but he didn't really know what the emotional core of his movie was. And so even the bits of the soundtrack that are GOOD don't have as deep a connection with what we're seeing on screen, since what we're seeing on screen is a muddled result of a bunch of different directions.

Tl;dr: I don't blame Danna and Yamaoka for how the second movie's soundtrack turned out. I blame the muddled story and the direction they were given.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 13 Apr 2012
Notes left: 43
Last seen at: The corner of Matheson and Levin
clips wrote:
I think these directors just have the mindset.."we're making a movie based on a videogame"...and it's all downhill from there...insert cliche's and monsters from the game in a very cheesy way and add characters from the game to show that "look it's in the game and it's in our movie" vibe...and you have the SH movies in a nutshell.

Yes you have to base it off the game, but SH's premise is simple....a small resort town where crazy, wierd and obscure events takes place for unknown reasons. Do not create a movie based on SH2,3 or 4...make a completely new storyline with characters not seen before in the series and be creative with your monsters (it does not need nurses or PH)..start off creating the horror movie first, then add the SH elements.

It can be just as simple as folks traveling thru SH and their car breaks down...fog comes thru and the town starts to expose some or one of the characters dark past or just have the town start them on their bizarre journey...it starts to fall apart when directors try to follow certain storylines from past games and that is where the movies start to look cheesy and feel cheap...

Agreed!

tbonesays wrote:
What if they brought in Christopher Smith as Silent Hill's next screenwriter? In Triangle Smith used several theories at once: psychosis vs supernatural vs science fiction, without giving a final interpretation. He also used hair-splitting detail so even items in the background symbolized the enitre story, which on the surface looked like a simple Ghost Ship horror flic.

That's the kind of talent needed for Silent Hill, subtlety and mystery.

That's a pretty good idea. Triangle was indeed very good.

Droo wrote:

These movies made me embarrassed to be a Silent Hill fan.

lol, me too. Even though I liked the first one alright, it didn't exactly capture the essence of Silent Hill 100% and many non-gamers now have the wrong idea for the most part.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 549
Last seen at: Phoenix
Well this was the last place I expected to read about Denard Robinson (via Bing translate nonetheless) but his comeback in the 2011 Notre Dame game horrified me more than Saw sequel.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1445
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
I wouldn't mind a reboot that followed the events of SH1 more accurately.