Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Jul 2018

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: So, just how "Japanese" is Silent Hill, anyway?

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3227
Yuki wrote:
I find that it turns me off of the series in general, really.

I never let this happen to me. A large part of it is that I didn't start getting involved in forums or online communities until around the time I joined this forum (with a few exceptions), so I've always been used to just liking what I like and not caring what others say or think. It's a good thing too, because if I let a bad fanbase turn me off from the product their a fan of, I wouldn't like any of the major things I like. All of my favorite things have fanbases that I absolutely despise. Silent Hill is definitely one of the worst offenders, though, with this forum being pretty much the only place I've seen any decent or mature SH fans.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Jun 2012
Notes left: 58
I think that the japanese culture really influences the creative process, although it is not really the main factor of the successful of the first 4 games. The first four were Japanese in the core, but disguised of Western.
Here is an interview with Akira Yamaoka explaining how the culture influenced the games: http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/post_view.php?index=1715

Also, here is another interview where Takayoshi Sato says that Team Silent were almost just artists, not freakies who loved videogames (unlike most of the actual developers), and that made a big diference: http://www.igotaletter.com/media/articles/?page=Interview_with_Silent_Hill_2_Artist_Takayoshi_Sato

Quote:
IGN - What other aspects of Silent Hill 2 did you think are important in discussing in regard to the artistic style?
SATO - Most people working for game companies are game freaks, but the Silent Hill team are artists and programmers first - mainly artists. Silent Hill 2 is not a typical game because most of our staff didn't grow up playing games. Because of this, we hope to provide the gamer with a different sort of game.

Thats is why (among other factors) the first 4 games were unique.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
Quote:
IGN - What other aspects of Silent Hill 2 did you think are important in discussing in regard to the artistic style?
SATO - Most people working for game companies are game freaks, but the Silent Hill team are artists and programmers first - mainly artists. Silent Hill 2 is not a typical game because most of our staff didn't grow up playing games. Because of this, we hope to provide the gamer with a different sort of game.

That is genuinely interesting and cool. It would indeed make a completely difference if you hand a project to artists or to game developers.
Main difference to me would be Artist: "How can we make this LOOK interesting" - Developer: "How can we make this PLAY interestingly". I would think that this would be a reason why there are much more little interesting tidbits in the first games than in the new games. Because, let's face it, 'Transporting Toilets' is something that looks cool, but gameplay wise means nothing :P

Storywise I would think artists would also take it a bit further than developers, or at least without a whole lot of exposition like they did in all the new games (Shattered Memories kept it as low as possible).

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
NanayaShiki wrote:
Yuki wrote:
I find that it turns me off of the series in general, really.

I never let this happen to me. A large part of it is that I didn't start getting involved in forums or online communities until around the time I joined this forum (with a few exceptions), so I've always been used to just liking what I like and not caring what others say or think. It's a good thing too, because if I let a bad fanbase turn me off from the product their a fan of, I wouldn't like any of the major things I like. All of my favorite things have fanbases that I absolutely despise. Silent Hill is definitely one of the worst offenders, though, with this forum being pretty much the only place I've seen any decent or mature SH fans.

I really try not to let the fanbases get to me, but there are times I don't even want to deal with SH because of how bad the fanbase can get.

Quote:
I think it's kind of a copout to imply that the newer games are hated merely because people don't give em' a chance, or are stuck team silent or whatever. Quality speaks for itself. Back in the day when silent hill 4 came out, i was apprehensive because i bought into the rumors that someone else made the game because it was different than the previous ones(still had the trademark horror) but i loved it. Shattered Memories i will give credit because despite severely lacking any creepy disturbing atmosphere, the gameplay and story were good.

I never said it was because people didn't give them a chance. There are flaws in each game, and the newer games definitely tend to seem a little more rushed than the older ones.

But that being said, the fanbase's slavish dedication to the first three/four games, in my opinion, is causing the series to stagnate. We can't try much new because the "hardcore" fans get really angry (even before Shattered Memories came out, for instance, people were SUPER upset about the few details we knew about it). Any little change gets the fanbase all up-in-arms and so I feel like it can't grow to be as good as it could potentially be.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 22 Sep 2012
Notes left: 86
Last seen at: In Walter Sullivan's mind
I agree with the poster above that stated that SH4 the most Japanese influence

Even, if only a little bit, all the Team Silent Silent Hill games integrate some imagery based on demon creatures (Japan's definition of "demons") and Japanese-style lore in the obscure letters.notes. Even the slow pacing is indicative of suspenseful Japan story telling.

I also think that the Japanese have a better understanding of moderation when it comes to extreme content. Unlike America designers - that think MORE is better regarding violence, sex, profanity - I think the Japanese understand that carnal excess does not a good story make