Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 25 Apr 2018

Story or gameplay?
Story 91%  91%  [ 39 ]
Gameplay 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 43

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Poll: Which do you consider more important to Silent Hill?

Missing since: 20 Oct 2012
Notes left: 140
Definitely the gameplay. That's why SH1 had me hooked. I feel that's what should get the most focus. A decent story is nice, but the games shouldn't be just about the story.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Which do you consider more important to Silent Hil

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 915
Last seen at: Ohio
ahhh both!!! ...IDK

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Jul 2009
Notes left: 253
Last seen at: Arkham Asylum
Definitely the story. That's the whole reason why I play the games; because I love the story so much.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I'd rather have an SH with a good story than good gameplay.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1626
Story. I'd rather play a game with a great story and put up with crap gameplay than play a game with a dull story and excellent gameplay. Of course, I would prefer both excellent story and gameplay, but if I had to choose it would be story every time.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11971
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Story. SH gameplay has always been pretty crap and it hasn't bothered me so long as it's functional. When the game is broken on the other hand *coughDownpourcough* then it does bother me.

But a horrible story is a horrible story no matter what gameplay accompanies it.*coughOriginscough*

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Jul 2009
Notes left: 253
Last seen at: Arkham Asylum
Gameplay wise, all the games had fairly good gameplay, but like I said before, I think the story stands out the most. If I had to choose a Silent Hill game that I thought had the best gameplay, I'd probably pick the 3rd game.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Oct 2012
Notes left: 258
Last seen at: Isle of Man
I voted for Story as that has always been what has drawn me to the series, though I think are both important to the success (or failure) of a game.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 565
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
Story can embellish lousy gameplay. Gameplay can't do that with story.

Gameplay is a plus that adds up to the story, not a requirement. And I think that when people say SH:XY has good gameplay, most of the time they're actually unknowingly referring to the atmosphere. The gameplay is still shitty.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 981
Last seen at: Kentucky
I think Mikefile encompassed the dilemma in its entirety.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
when it comes to Silent Hill, story is definitely more important to me, especially considering the only really playable Silent Hill were (imo) Homecoming ang Shattered Memories. Origins and Downpour were not that bad in that regard though.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
Why is there no option for atmosphere and horror type? That's the one thing this series is the most widely recognized for.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3221
Both are subjective, so you're never going to get a concrete answer for this, but I value a good story more. Really, both need to at least be somewhat entertaining to you, though. There are some genres where story doesn't matter and the game can be carried entirely on it's gameplay. That may have even been true of survival horror at one point. But nowadays it's definitely the story that's more important. The gameplay can be a been-there-done-that affair (or be bad) and a great story will still make the game feel fresh. But even if a survival horror game is at the peak of gameplay possibilities within the genre, a boring or crap story will make for a boring/crap game.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I haven't been a member here for almost ten years to talk about controls and how best to hit things until they die.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4680
Last seen at: Colorado
To me, one isn't significantly more important than the other, but I'd still say story. However, I enjoy the gameplay in SH games (yes, I enjoy the controls and the combat that some people call awkward, and beating things with a pipe or a stick). I didn't enjoy the gameplay in Shattered Memories so much, though, but I still really appreciated the story and particularly the twist.

I also find the atmosphere & environments in SH games to be extremely important, of course. Hell, that's probably THE most important to me.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
I agree about the atmosphere and the setting being as important as the story in SH. This is proably why I liked Downpour's sidequest and free-roaming so much, it added a whole new level of atmosphere. Same goes for the exploring session with the ghosts in shattered memories.

What makes the series special is indeed its atmosphere, seeing how you are thrown in this crazy town in SH1, you're immerged in the game and it's world in the first few seconds. They managed to do the same in SH2 when you're walking throug the fog to reach the city.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1875
Last seen at: Los Angeles
The narrative is the only aspect of the two that is unique to the series. The genre has plenty of games that handle similarly and some that are nearly identical.

Just Passing Through

I have to say the results are disappointing but not expected. I just think it's a shame that the Silent Hill games have developed a stigma that the emphasis should be on story first and everything else second. I find it hard to go back to a game if the core gameplay is too boring or too broken.

It's even worse when you already know the story so it gives less incentive to go back through the game just to experience it. So if you already know the story inside and out, what's left for the game to come back for? SH1 had a cheesy story, but what hooked me to it was being able to explore a whole town, running away or battling monsters, exploring the creepy Otherworld, and solving puzzles.

I definitely don't agree with the assertion that story is more important in survival horror now. Fatal Frame, for instance, had stories that were your typical Japanese horror fare, but the idea of battling ghosts with a camera is what made the game so memorable.

These satire articles sum up my thoughts on the game as art crowd.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/david-cage-sho ... iven-game/

http://www.p4rgaming.com/if-a-game-does ... laying-it/

Gravedigger

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
Thing is, in my book, gameplay is not the same as what you summed up in what you liked in SH1. Gameplay for me is the way the controls handle, how smooth the character responds to your input. This includes combat and movement, but also how monsters behave. Gameplay for me is 'the way you have to play the game'
Setting and atmosphere, choice to battle or run away from monsters or not, ... are not things I would consider gameplay.
But I guess that the definition of gameplay differs between persons.

And it isn't because a game has no story it is a bad game. Contradictory the the second article you gave us, Mario is (imo) awesome because of the gameplay, not because of the story. I freaking love to play Mario, I don't care at all about its story, it's just plain fun.
But in my experience and definition, the first Silent Hill games had some 'dodgy' and not so special gameplay: run around, kill monsters by shooting them. But I didn't mind: it added to the experience of being a simple bloke in a horrifying world. The gameplay added to the story. But ultimately, the story carried the Silent Hill games, it's that made the controls and gameplay justified. Not the other way around.

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Just Passing Through

Well, Mario is fun for its gunplay. That was the point of the second article because both of them are satire articles. It was mocking the idea of games only worth playing for their story.

Just because the gameplay is lacking in Silent Hill doesn't mean it has to stay that way and improving it doesn't necessarily mean it can take away from the story.

We have to remember these video games. A story is nice and all, but it has to be fun to play as well. You can have both good gameplay and a decent tale. I would just like to see the series go outside of its comfort zone and tackle that rather than coax along solely on the laurels of storytelling and atmosphere.

Because if you hedge all your bets on the story, then it has to be a damn good one or else the whole thing fails. Something David Cage hasn't learned himself.