Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 May 2018

Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator
 Post subject: Your favourite theory/discussion threads?

Missing since: 06 Jul 2003
Notes left: 4179
Last seen at: Your Special Place
I'm looking to share the very best SHHF threads with our burgeoning Facebook and Twitter communities. There's so much fantastic work here, it needs to be full appreciated!

So: what are YOUR favourite SH threads? Please share!

The Faithful | The Seductress | The Alchemist | The Cult | SHHF FAQs | Fanlisting | Contact | Love to game?

© 2003-2016 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of http://www.silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Your favourite theory/discussion threads?

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 547
Last seen at: Phoenix
The back and forth I had with JKristine and ResEvil on the imdb that went on for three months back in 2010. I had about 5 Word pages typed, which along with the thread has now been deleted.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 05 Nov 2010
Notes left: 981
Last seen at: Kentucky
I really love the "Valtiel 1," "Valtiel 2" and "Yellow God" threads in the SH3 section.
Anybody interested in the cult and the details of their beliefs should enjoy those.

Also, the SH timeline is amazing.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3222
Oh man, back before I joined I used to spend hours on this forum reading through all the old SH2 and SH3 theory and discussion threads. I'll have to go digging to find my favorites, as there were a few that finally convinced me to make an account here.

Just off the top of my head, without doing the previously mentioned digging, these two are great:
viewtopic.php?t=2204
viewtopic.php?t=6954

Edit: As others have said, the timeline thread is especially fantastic as well.

Last edited by NanayaShiki on 11 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1422
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
It's hard to name any specific one right away, since there are so many I enjoyed reading and discussing in. I do remember one where I was posting page after page with arguments regarding the meaning behind the floor in SH1. It was fun.

I also like Thomas' timeline thread.

Last edited by Jonipoon on 07 Jun 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 21 Jun 2010
Notes left: 51
thomas' timeline +1

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
My favorite thread is definitely this one, about the theory that it was God who gave Harry the baby at the end of Silent Hill 1:

viewtopic.php?t=23183

There was a lot of arguing, but in the end I managed to find conclusive evidence within the Silent Hill Guidebook that debunked that theory. Credit to Soulless Shadow whom helped me find the places in the Guidebook where it calls the lady in white "Alessa " by name and translate them: http://flipside.keenspot.com/linkable/alessa.jpg http://flipside.keenspot.com/linkable/alessa2.jpg It was a fun thread to participate in.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 915
Last seen at: Ohio
My favorite is the samples used by akira thread. We find all the music samples, instruments SFX and music hardware akira used. Each instument/SFX in every track and everything.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16347

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>in the end I managed to find conclusive evidence within the Silent Hill Guidebook that debunked that theory.<
Except for all the other conclusive evidence within the guidebook and game saying otherwise.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger

The Adversary wrote:
>in the end I managed to find conclusive evidence within the Silent Hill Guidebook that debunked that theory.<
Except for all the other conclusive evidence within the guidebook and game saying otherwise.

Where did the guidebook come from?

Rosewater Park Attendant

The Adversary wrote:

There is no "conclusive evidence" to the contrary. You can use your imagination and infer that a different scenario might be possible, sure... but no place in the guidebook or in the games does it say that the ending of Silent Hill 1 is a trick, or that god was pretending to be Alessa. On the other hand, it spells out plainly that the lady in white is Alessa, which destroys the whole theory, so it really can't be much more debunked than that. (And if you disagree with me, rather than argue about it in this thread you should re-open that one. It's not polite to disrupt this thread with an argument.)

tbonesays wrote:
Where did the guidebook come from?

The Ushinawareta Kioku (Lost Memories), and the Silent Hill Koshiki Guidebook, both of which were written by the original creators of the first 3 Silent Hill games. They're meant to be official answers to many of the mysteries in the first 3 games.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3236
Last seen at: United States, Texas
Too many. Though the one that Mary was once a patient at Brookhaven was one I loved hearing about.

Until you are near

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 15 Aug 2003
Notes left: 1099
Last seen at: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.
Quote:
The Ushinawareta Kioku (Lost Memories), and the Silent Hill Koshiki Guidebook, both of which were written by the original creators of the first 3 Silent Hill games.

Was it literally written by Team Silent, or was it written by Konami staff attempting to summarise the games? If I recall, the Lost Memories book only contained quotes from Team Silent members, few of which definitively explained much.

I'd also be interested in reopening that thread.

“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti

Rosewater Park Attendant

LastGunslinger wrote:
I'd also be interested in reopening that thread.

Sure, go for it. I'd be happy to discuss it more.

Those are official guidebooks published by Konami. Members of Team Silent were definitely involved, but as for who specifically wrote it, I'm not sure. It seems like it was at least published with their input and approval, seeing as how there are quotes and from Team Silent members all over the book. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to take it as gospel truth... there's nothing wrong with alternate viewpoints, even if they fly in the face of established canon. That's the fun thing about fiction.

Gravedigger

That's why I asked. The 'guidebook' just sounds as though it was written afterwards with future installments in mind.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Tillerman wrote:
There is no "conclusive evidence" to the contrary. You can use your imagination and infer that a different scenario might be possible, sure... but no place in the guidebook or in the games does it say that the ending of Silent Hill 1 is a trick, or that god was pretending to be Alessa. On the other hand, it spells out plainly that the lady in white is Alessa, which destroys the whole theory, so it really can't be much more debunked than that.

If you think that bit of semantics is going to settle an argument that stands on nothing else, think again. That same guidebook states in plain language that Good is the game's canon ending, and the one which leads into its direct sequel (to say nothing of it being the only logical outcome of events) and there are no shortage of people who will forever vehemently dispute it. Yourself among them, as I recall.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 31 Aug 2010
Notes left: 467
Last seen at: Marioland
That one isn' t my favorite per se, but it' s the one that stuck with me the most. Probably 'cause it' s the only one I actually involved myself in rather than browsed passively.

This is actually my second account here. I created my first shortly after SH4 got released, read a bunch of threads I found fascinating, then lost any access to the internet for several years. I' ve had ample time to forget what the threads I read back then were even about.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Ryantology wrote:
If you think that bit of semantics is going to settle an argument that stands on nothing else, think again.

Settle what argument? I'm not trying to have an argument with anyone, I'm simply posting about my favorite theory/discussion threads. That's what this thread is for. I don't want to derail it with an argument, that would be rude, as I'm sure you're well aware Ryan... you being a mod, and all. If you want to argue with me about something, I'll be happy to oblige you in a more appropriate place for it.

Putting this here to prevent further derailment.

What with you lecturing the class regarding what constitutes appropriate discussion content (after clearly attempting to provoke a hostile response by crowing over your supposed 'victory' in the thread you mention), I almost forgot you A. are not a moderator, and B. do not occupy the high ground which justifies you telling anybody else how to behave.

-Ryan

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2881
I think I'll nominate this one about Lisa and the crest. I don't necessarily buy the theory myself, but it makes for interesting reading.

Screenplay Archaeology Podcast - CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN EPISODE IS UP!

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Jun 2012
Notes left: 55
Two for me, "Samples used by Akira Yamaoka", and "The REAL Silent Hill Experience".
The first one because I realized all the process involved in making the OST for Silent Hill and consequently made me be interested in Musical Production.
The second one because I can see all the arguments that the Silent Hill fandom has against the theories of others and how they understand Silent Hill (and how they deal with the persons who doesn't agree with them).