Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 25 Apr 2017

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: movies that remind you of silent hill

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
Lately, like most of you, I've been involved in P.T's gaming. it made me want to watch movies with this kind of atmosphere, movies that could kinda work in the SH lore, or at least, movies that remind me of SH.

So I wanted to talk about those movies with you.

Absentia, by Mike Flanagan. The core of the story is the relationship between two estranged sisters, trying to connect, one of them planning to declare her 7 years missing husband dead. It was a low budget movie, and it was trying, not to scare you, but to create an atmosphere of dread. It was more preoccupied with its atmosphere and its characters than with scares, even though, the whole concept is horrifying. I higly recommen this one.

Rigor Mortis. It's a movie from hong kong, using chinese folklore, and more precisely, using the myth of the hoping vampire. It's better to know movies like Mr Vampire before watching this one. That said, visually it's stunning, and some of the visuals really remind me of Silent Hill. The story is also quite interetsing, even though some people didn't like the ending.

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: movies that remind you of silent hill

Missing since: 30 Sep 2009
Notes left: 563
Last seen at: Centennial Building
Coraline somehow fits in this. It features a paralel world, things which are derived from what's going on in Coraline's normal world and strong (although very subtle) thematic connections between the 2 worlds. Although it's mostly 'everything is better in the other world'. Also, it has a darn creepy atmosphere which well matches SH.

Naboer (Neighbour) has a wonderful atmosphere and sense of confusion matching SH. Storywise it has something similar.

Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of 2 Sisters) is a Japanese horror (drama?) with an unsettling atmosphere and keeps you on your toes. It's an odd ghost story which makes you rethink the story.

Of course, Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder deserve mentions, but the games took inspiration from them, so it doesn't really count.

"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton

Gravedigger

Missing since: 31 Aug 2010
Notes left: 467
Last seen at: Marioland
ashatteredmemory wrote:
Of course, Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder deserve mentions, but the games took inspiration from them, so it doesn't really count.

Also, The Mist.

Inspiration sources aside I' d mention Grave Encounters 2 for its spacial transitions based on insane troll logic.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 503
Last seen at: Phoenix
My list of sources keeps growing.

Carrie school girl's revenge, female religious fanatic
The Ring demon child, unnatural birth
Jacob's Ladder haunted hospital
Resident Evil armed monsters.
Suspiria girl wandering dark halls

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
David Lynch's a big inspiration to Silent Hill titles. A scene from Blue Velvet can be seen reenacted in Silent Hill 2. Though in term of atmosphere and strangeness, Eraserhead and Rabbits would be the best reference. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are also surreal and with a sense of dread you can relate to Silent Hill. His TV series Twin Peaks that follow the event of its small town mystery also correlates.

Here's a link to Rabbits which Lynch released on internet back in the days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5wiII_Qd4

Other recommendations:

Andrzej Zulawski's Possession
Roman Polanski's The Tenant

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 22 Sep 2014
Notes left: 348
Last seen at: Kent (England)
ashatteredmemory wrote:

Did Session 9 come out before SH1??

The monsters in Pans Labyrinth were very reminiscent of SH so I am very excited about Del Toro's involvement in the new one.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Its Gone Now wrote:
Did Session 9 come out before SH1??

Not sure. But it did come out before Silent Hill 3, which is the game that contains the reference to it.

I think the best answers to this question are David Lynch movies, especially Eraserhead. If you are a Silent Hill fan, you really owe it to yourself to watch Eraserhead. The strange, slow, surrealistic atmosphere, the downright creepy and uncomfortable situations and characters, it's all very Silent Hill. It's a movie that should be mandatory watching for anyone who works on a Silent Hill game (and somehow I suspect that none of the western studios ever watched a David Lynch movie.)

Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive also have some scenes that are very much the same vibe. I think what I love about Team Silent's original 4 games was that you could really feel the David Lynch inspiration. It's what gave it it's unique flavor, IMO. That's what I'm always hoping for more of in a Silent Hill game.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Session 9 is one of my all time favorite movies, Where In SH3 is the reference to it? I'm not sure if I've ever been aware of this.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Its Gone Now wrote:
Session 9 is one of my all time favorite movies, Where In SH3 is the reference to it? I'm not sure if I've ever been aware of this.

There's a place where you can look through a glass wall and see a wheelchair and a light. That's a reference to a similar scene from Session 9. I believe it's in the nightmare office building.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 01 Oct 2014
Notes left: 6

Last edited by Space Monkey on 08 Jun 2015, edited 1 time in total.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Tillerman wrote:
Its Gone Now wrote:

There's a place where you can look through a glass wall and see a wheelchair and a light. That's a reference to a similar scene from Session 9. I believe it's in the nightmare office building.

I had a feeling it may have been that. Do you think it was a coincidence or were they directly referencing it?

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Oct 2012
Notes left: 254
Last seen at: Isle of Man
Its Gone Now wrote:
I had a feeling it may have been that. Do you think it was a coincidence or were they directly referencing it?

Pretty sure it's a direct reference.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com

My Bestsellers Clerk

Where do you live Simon?

Gravedigger

Missing since: 09 Jun 2010
Notes left: 494
Martyrs-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Young girls are kidnapped and tortured to the point of near-death in an effort to see into "the other side".

Carrie- Psychic girl who's mother happens to be a religious fanatic.

The Beyond- Woman re-opens an abandoned hotel that also happens to be built over one of the seven gates to Hell. Utilized an early version of insane troll logic.

The Machinist-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Protagonist is wracked with guilt over killing a young boy, and begins to hallucinate forming a relationship with the boy's mother, as well as makes up a guy named Ivan that follows him around.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3825
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Grave Encounters does, in the sense that they can't escape the hospital because it's in a different reality(time flows differently in the hospital).

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 503
Last seen at: Phoenix
Trauma_ wrote:
insane troll logic.

another hour lost to tvtropes, funny how Silent Hill is their first film example, referring to what I though was one of the more sensible scenes in the film.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
David Lynch is definitely an influence as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492754/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
this movie is definitely silent hill like. It has an eerie mood, and the story could be set in silent hill in a way. IT's a small movie, with a small budget, but it's really interesting.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 16 Jul 2015
Notes left: 5
When I went to see As Above, So Below in the theater, as soon as objects of deep personal significance to the characters started appearing, I thought "Oh, so this is an alternate universe where the Parisian catacombs are basically Silent Hill," and that's exactly how the occult magic proceeded to punish them. Gave me some much-appreciated SH2 reminiscence.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's films are also very Silent Hill-esque to me, particularly the brilliant Cure.

Last edited by fuguette on 24 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 08 Oct 2009
Notes left: 88
Its Gone Now wrote:
Where do you live Simon?

Haha... I just saw Session 9 earlier this year for the first time and immediately became obsessed. I've literally seen it at least 10 times since then, which is weird for me, someone who usually struggles to commit to watching more than the first 20 minutes of a movie once, let alone multiple times.

That last line (combined with the slow panning over the building and the subtle ambient sounds/music in the background) makes my skin crawl every time, in a good way. The first time I watched it while it was still bright out, and I got up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and couldn't get the very end out of my head, despite it probably being about 12+ hours since I'd finished watching it.

But anyway, most of the things I'd have mentioned (Session 9, Jacob's Ladder, The Mist, maybe Suspiria a little bit) have already been said. Blue Velvet a bit too.

The Babadook (a good psychological horror film and one of the best Australian movies I've seen) doesn't remind me of Silent Hill per se, but some of the themes and symbolism are similar enough that it might appeal to some SH fans. Pretty bleak film to watch though, far from fun.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 584
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
fuguette wrote:
When I went to see As Above, So Below in the theater, as soon as objects of deep personal significance to the characters started appearing, I thought "Oh, so this is an alternate universe where the Parisian catacombs are basically Silent Hill," and that's exactly how the occult magic proceeded to punish them. Gave me some much-appreciated SH2 reminiscence.

I was actually coming to this thread to say As Above, So Below. I really loved this movie. It was pretty much if Lara Croft meets Silent Hill. Except instead of Silent Hill, it was the catacombs in France.