Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 25 Jul 2017

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3 monsters

Missing since: 04 Aug 2016
Notes left: 36
Which games monsters did you find more terrifying? (Non-boss) Which was the most terrifying from said game? For me, Silent Hill 3 had more aggressive monsters, but Silent Hill 2's Abstract Daddys are disturbing on a deep level. How do you feel?

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill 2 vs Silent Hill 3 monsters

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 606
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
I found the monsters in Silent Hill 3 to be much more terrifying.

The monsters in Silent Hill 2 just made me feel sick. Though of course they were still 'terrifying'.

Just Passing Through

Tabris wrote:
I found the monsters in Silent Hill 3 to be much more terrifying.

The monsters in Silent Hill 2 just made me feel sick. Though of course they were still 'terrifying'.

That's a pretty good way to put it actually. Silent Hill 3 monsters were more terrifying in that they more hellish looking. They seemed more demonic than the Silent Hill 2 enemies. That could very well be the atmosphere of Silent Hill 3 causing them to feel more demonic. The enemies from Silent Hill 2 disturbed me more. They weren't terrifying as much as they were just odd, abstract, and very gross. Their design and concepts, I personally felt, were more disturbing than Silent Hill 3's monsters. I guess this is how I'd put it. I was scared to attack Silent Hill 3 monsters because they seemed like very dangerous monsters. They were big, loud, and incredibly violent. Some of them were also very fast, which made it feel as if I was pursued by some predator. However, they could be (relatively) easily killed. I was scared to face Silent Hill 2's monsters because they were so weird and gross. Half the time they wouldn't even die on me, they'd shamble along the ground until I stomped on them. It was just disturbing. Like watching maggots crawl about in decomposing flesh. Again, the Abstract Daddy still freaks me out.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4638
Last seen at: Colorado
I think SH3's pendulums take the cake for me regarding scare factor. They still freak me the hell out. The way they move is intimidating, and that sound... gah!
Actually, SH3's slurpurs too. *shudder*

Of course, I'm a big fan of SH2's monster designs as well, but I'd say some of SH3's beat them a bit in scare factor.

Just Passing Through

Really? Huh. I guess I'm the only one who thought Abstract Daddy was incredibly unnerving.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 18 Feb 2008
Notes left: 310
Last seen at: A physiatric ward
Bobandjim1260 wrote:
Really? Huh. I guess I'm the only one who thought Abstract Daddy was incredibly unnerving.

The creature itself isn't scary, but the design and what it represents is loathsome.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Apr 2014
Notes left: 23
the creatures of both games were equally terrifying. more than that they represented the view point and fears of their protagonists very well. in SH 2 the creatures were very "incomplete" or abstract" i dunno how better to describe it. kind of like james' grasp on reality(the ending, where he finds out how mary died). in SH 3 they were more hellish, violent, aggresive and haunting. heather was 17 at the time, i dont know about you all but me at that age i heard a strange noise or sound in the night, and my imagination was wild i would picture the worst possible thing. thats why i like these 2 games more than the others. you can kinda relate to both protagonists. the fear they feel in silent hill and how they see their enemies.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 913
Last seen at: Ohio
3 had the most scary monsters. The animations that they all have and that bright fleshy color. Along with the Sound design of them.

2 wasnt really. They all just looked like grey blobs wondering around. They didn't do to much or have very interesting animations.

4 was spooky and creepy. I love how smooth the ghosts move as the float around. wheel chairs freaked me out because they are inanimate objects and its disturbing to me when i see something like that move around. It had a nice variety of monsters.