Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3325
Free DLC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362579

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Pyramid Head coming to Super Bomberman R

Missing since: 16 Aug 2014
Notes left: 266
It's kind of, I don't know...odd that Konami chose those three characters from those 3 Konami franchises as free DLC. I mean Pyramid Head of all characters? Will kids get the reference? Should they?

If this all means anything, could it be that Konami is considering making new versions of those games for Switch, PS4/XB1? Wishful thinking but who knows?

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 22 Feb 2012
Notes left: 419
They cancel Silent Hills, give us a slot machine-thing, and now this? Laughable, indeed.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Nov 2016
Notes left: 78
Last seen at: In my own world
Deer Rest FOA wrote:
They cancel Silent Hills, give us a slot machine-thing, and now this? Laughable, indeed.

It is driving me crazy that we may not get another Silent Hill. Why did they add them as characters anyways?

My Bestsellers Clerk

I have no idea. I just think these companies don't care anymore. They're lost. The genre has changed so much over the years, which means they cannot keep up with everything going on around them. They do try, but it's never gonna be the same as it were back in the 90's when games were bad graphically, but amazing for scaring us. Horror has been exhausted multiple times as a genre. Maybe with the PlayStation VR, that could be their next goal. Console games are just failing so miserably now.

It's like pop music and movies as well: The trends that are hot for a number of years go dim after burning so brightly. People just grow tired of the repetition, and yearn for something new, but then complain the changes were not what they hoped for. Then something else comes along, and you're either on board with that or you're not.

For years, I've been chomping at the bit to see real horror games come back, like the ones with tank controls and fixed camera angles, because the graphics don't make a game great if you have a worthless story and awful controls in there. I'm not a lover of first person viewpoint games, and never will be. But I just don't think the magic is there any longer.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Nov 2016
Notes left: 78
Last seen at: In my own world
Deer Rest FOA wrote:
I have no idea. I just think these companies don't care anymore. They're lost. The genre has changed so much over the years, which means they cannot keep up with everything going on around them. They do try, but it's never gonna be the same as it were back in the 90's when games were bad graphically, but amazing for scaring us. Horror has been exhausted multiple times as a genre. Maybe with the PlayStation VR, that could be their next goal. Console games are just failing so miserably now.

It's like pop music and movies as well: The trends that are hot for a number of years go dim after burning so brightly. People just grow tired of the repetition, and yearn for something new, but then complain the changes were not what they hoped for. Then something else comes along, and you're either on board with that or you're not.

For years, I've been chomping at the bit to see real horror games come back, like the ones with tank controls and fixed camera angles, because the graphics don't make a game great if you have a worthless story and awful controls in there. I'm not a lover of first person viewpoint games, and never will be. But I just don't think the magic is there any longer.

I miss the days when everyone was in it for being scared and a great story, but now they just want graphics. :(

My Bestsellers Clerk

You're right, mate. It's all about profit. In one sense, I don't blame the companies, per se. They need the money and interest from the fans to invest in future games, so that involves a serious amount of cash and effort. Without fans getting on board, it's hard for them to feel confident in working on projects that won't be as successful as they need them to be. Once tastes change, the series can end right there and then, or it can adapt to have a worthy future, but that usually involves serious experimentation. While people do perhaps prefer the old style of horror games, that is considered to be retro by the new standards.

Unfortunately, some series just don't always fulfill people's hopes no matter how many times the company alters the series to match all the other similar games coming out. I'm sure somehow, Konami are aware of the harsh feedback they've received. While we may have gotten tons of Silent Hill stuff in 2012 alone, it was all very poorly received. That may be another big reason for this hold up. They could also be waiting to see how well the Outlast and Resident Evil series does before attempting a comeback.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

IIRC, although RE VII sold 3.5 mil out of the 4 mil copies so far, Capcom was satisfied with the sales.

I think I'll get Outlast next month as I recently spent money on a new laptop and a Wacom Cintiq drawing tablet.

My Bestsellers Clerk

I've heard bad things about the new Outlast. Like people are saying the camera angles are so bad, and the battery runs out quickly. I'm not sure what they are referring to as I've never even played it, but I assume it's your torch. I've saw some footage in videos, but first person games just aren't for me.

I'd like to try the arcade game of Silent Hill that was only released in Japan and Europe. It looks so bad, but whatever. There was a rumor of it coming to the PS3 ages ago, but it never came to pass. There's supposed to be a new Resident Evil shooter coming out exclusively in Japan. It may be a VR-supported game. I'm not sure. It was talked about during E3 last June. The exact details escape me now, but I personally don't like shooter type horror games. They have zero tension, and it's all the fault of RE4 for why that is.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

What's really sad is that Masahiro Ito recently posted a new concept sketch of Valtiel. Someone asked if it was just for fun or for a project. His reply tweet was "No comment." So let me guess. In 2015, we had Silent Hill 2 pachinko, and now this year we will have Silent Hill 3 pachinko? Yay! Just what everyone wanted-said no one ever. That's the sad part. Of course, it could also be for an art book, mobage, arcades, or you know a console game? Yet why else would he make a sketch of Valtiel for something other than pachinko? Valtiel was only in SH3 and Silent Hill Book of Memories, IIRC. This is really depressing. :(

Edit: Ito's tweet was from Feb 28 and I think his latest tweet was March 20. Still, close enough I guess.

I also tweeted Donna Burke with a "plot twist" caption and a ":p" I basically said in the body of the tweet that Konami would reveal a new Silent Hill, Castlevania and Gradius at E3.

She gave my tweet a like, and even that one gesture from her was really cool. :)

She's one of my favorite VO's from the SH franchise, so I am thrilled on that end.

My Bestsellers Clerk

I'd love to think Konami won't take Capcom's retaliation lying down, and we'll get something like Silent Hills that will be their answer to RE7. I still say Capcom lied when they say RE7 was being developed before P.T. came about. It just seems too much of a coincidence.

It's good that Norman Reedus is still open to working on the series in the future (if the series even has a future). There's no way he's leaving The Walking Dead yet as he's so popular on that show, and remember, if Daryl dies...we riot. But I think he can use his fanfare to land roles in games.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 594
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
Konami will probably reveal a new Silent Hill at E3. But it'll probably be something they feel 'safe' with. I kind've doubt it'll be something new. Probably a remake or a reboot of some kind. That's if we're lucky.

And I wouldn't hold my breath that Konami learned anything. It'll probably be shipped off to some cheap development company like Vatra again with a shit budget.

That or they'll just go absolutely batshit stupid and turn it into an MMO shooter or something. I just cannot put it past them at this point.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Yep. Silent Hill with zombie unicorns, anyone?

Hopefully though, Konami at least reveals and releases a decent Silent Hill game for the PS4, Switch and XB1.

A remake of Silent Hill 1 would be awesome.

Gravedigger

Well they've already attempted two remakes of Silent Hill and we ended up with Origins and Shattered Memories (and I do love both of those but the flaws are obvious).

Like I said, even if they do remake SH1, it'll probably just end up as an MMO shooter or something stupid. Whatever they can make for $5 and wonder why they're making no money on games.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7898
Last seen at: Nowhere
Their focus is just pachinko shit (goddamn I saw a video of a guy playing it. He spent 30mins. and lost a boss battle and had to go back to the start. He spent a lot of cash just to show it. He said it wasn't fun at all and that the Phantom Pain engine used on it was a pretty much a punch to the face. Can't be arsed to post the link tho) and that bastard child of MGS Online, Socom and every zombie game ever: Metal Gear Survive.

Silent Hill is dead and buried. It will take time for it to be reborn. Someday they might release another game but not now.

No comment about that PH crap.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Yeah. Those slot machines are probably rigged to only pay out earnings at specific times, so yeah. I think they are a scam.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Konami expressing that they "want" to bring back core gamers is just an excuse for them to make shitty games, if they ever make games again.

Even if they do reveal a game it could possibly be: Silent Hill Pachinko: The Game for PS4, Switch, XB1.

Gravedigger

Like I said before, they'll just find some cheap ass studio somewhere and give them a shit budget to work with with bare minimum advertising. Then they'll proceed to mope about how their games don't sell.

As stated far too often, fuck Konami.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Yeah, it would probably even be some indie dev (Team Psychoz lol). I don't understand why Konami gave the Downpour devs the green light to use Korn of all bands. Money that could have been used better elsewhere.

My Bestsellers Clerk

I guess Konami just cannot compete with Capcom, since Capcom successfully went down the action route with the Resident Evil series and recently outdone themselves for a third time with 7 (the first time they peaked was with the original trilogy and Code: Veronica, then the remake was a critical and commercial hit to a degree, then 4 changed the series permanently, and 5 was the best-selling entry, of course). Silent Hill was always 2 to my 1 anyway. But it was a big 2 nonetheless. Unfortunately, we can all agree that Team Silent ending was what wrecked the franchise. And Silent Hill as an action game would stink, since Silent Hill has some action, but was never like Resident Evil by any means.

To be honest, Resident Evil no longer has any competition out there. Outlast and all that don't count for me, as I don't like them. All the other survival horror related franchises like Fatal Frame (Project Zero) and all that are different sub-genres that are not consistently updated each year anymore. Dead Rising by Capcom as well, isn't a true horror game either. So I'm sure a Resident Evil game like that would be horrible. Plus, Dead Island, Dying Light and State of Decay which are also sandbox/open world adventures, just aren't terrifying in the slightest.