Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 14 Dec 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Can SH 2/3/4 HD Mods lead to better texture rips?

Missing since: 30 Jan 2017
Notes left: 2
Forgive my lack of understanding how extracting textures work. I'm wondering since the textures were ripped so long ago, and how far upscaling the PC ports of the games have come, if there is any way to gain better clarity to decipher more things such as the Book of Job quotes in Silent Hill 2's bathroom.
I know some textures were changed in the console HD collection, but I wonder if those would provide better textures for the textures that were in the originals. I've never looked into the HD collection to know if those textures are in fact more defined.
Any thoughts from a more technically minded crowd?

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Can SH 2/3/4 HD Mods lead to better texture rips?

Missing since: 09 Feb 2004
Notes left: 758
Hi EndOfAllFlesh,

What you see in terms of clarity in-game is as good as the texture files look overall. If you extract the files, which you can using something like SH Texture Explorer (link below), you'll get the textures as they're presented/used in-game:

http://alchemillahospital.net/modding/

As far as SH: HD Collection using better textures: That game is a sin and abomination in my eyes and, for all intents and purposes, simply doesn't exist in my head. They re-did some textures but completely muddied them or ruined the "tone" and "feel" of the originals.

Lastly, if you plan to re-import edited textures back into the game they MUST be saved out as the same file type, at the same resolution, and with layers turned off but with any alpha layers remained intact. Changing any of this will corrupt the texture in-game or will simply make the texture not show up at all or crash the game.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Can SH 2/3/4 HD Mods lead to better texture rips?

Missing since: 08 Aug 2011
Notes left: 922
Last seen at: Ohio
SH HD only had static images redrawn from 4:3 to 16:9. No other texture was redrawn or upresed in anyway. i extracted the HD collection and was disappointing. HD collection has nothing of higher quality.