Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Jun 2019

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: I think I solved one of SH's greatest mysteries.

Missing since: 08 Aug 2012
Notes left: 204
I know it sounds weird, but hear me out.

First, it has to do with three things: Psychic powers, White Claudia and Spiritual Echos.

Let's try to define one by one.

Psychic powers are a reality in Silent Hill. People can do stuff with their minds, like astral projection, manifest creatures, teleport, etc. SH1 suggests it isn't that much of a rare event, but it's mostly found in young women. The Koshiki guide also says something interresting about Alessa's powers:
Quote:
If she had been living under normal circumstances, these
powers would almost never manifest themselves. Alessa naturally possessed a certain amount of
spiritual intuition and at that point in time her "sixth sense" was powerful enough that she was
having premonitions, but these were more like hunches than supernatural powers.

In other words, people have these powers but since they're not involved with a cult in a town with weird properties, those don't often manifest themselves. You can see these powers in work with Heather in SH3. As she gets more powers, she starts to feel things a person normally wouldn't. For example, when she sees Claudia for the first time, she asks "Did you do all this?" because she feels like Claudia is responsible, although she doesn't understand how. Another example is when she asks Vincent if he had someone with him just before, because she could feel Claudia there. That's more or less what Alessa would be if she was raised normally by a loving parent.

So, people have powers, and these come from their minds, as it is obvious if you know anything about Silent Hill. So, what has White Claudia to do with this? As we know, White Claudia is a plant native to Silent Hill and only found there, and its seeds have hallucinogenic properties, and it has been used in rituals for a long time. It's very similar to Ayahuasca, it seems. Ayahuasca has been used for many hundred years in religious practices and it can cause lasting impacts on one's psyche, and researchers seem really interested on how one can apply it in therapy.

That's why I thought, maybe White Claudia being native to Silent Hill has something to do with the powers of the town. It always seemed absurd to think these powers don't come from humans because they seem to interact with the human mind so well, so it couldn't just be something natural that was there before people were. No, I'm no saying everyone is on drugs in Silent Hill, that's dumb. What I want to say is, maybe people with powerful psychic abilities took part in these rituals, and the properties of White Claudia amplified their natural spiritual capabilities in various ways.

Now, not to my third point that will connect everything: Spiritual Echos.

A Spiritual Echos, as defined in this hypothesis, is a part of someone's mind left behind when this person isn't there anymore; usually when this person dies. Here's some examples of such in Silent Hill:

> Lisa. She's a manifestation as Harry sees her in SH1, but I don't think she's made of one thing. I think she's part of the real Lisa and parts of Alessa's memories of her.

> Ernest. He doesn't seem to have a body, just a disembodied voice. I don't think he's a ghost in the classical sense, but the feelings left over by a man who once lived in that mansion. These feelings were then echoed by the town.

> The memos we see in the games seem to be the crystallized form of people's thoughts. I don't think those were literally written by people, but rather manifested that way to the characters.

> Stanley. Even after death, he still calls out for Heather.

> Walter Sullivan. Even after death, his desire to complete te ritual lived on. In fact, he had two very different desires, and that gave him two manifestations instead of just one. The Walter we see in the game hardly feels like a person. He's more like a parody of himself: A crazy, mindless killing machine and a needy, innocent child. That's beause he's an echo, not a complete human being.

But the most powerful of them all was Alessa. She changed how the powers of Silent Hill interact with people. She was able to create a whole alternate reality and bend it to reflect people's nightmares, and even if this was involuntary. After she died, this property persisted, being able to make virtually anyone a catalyst for the Otherworld. In SH2 we see normal people bending reality the way they see fit, because of what Alessa did before.

Ok, so my hypothesis is: People started to live around the lake, and used White Claudia as a basis for their religion. Eventually, people with spiritual potential eventually took part in these rituals, and became powerful psychics. They explored this side of themselves so much that it changed the landscape, metaphysically speaking. After they died, their echos were left behind in the area, and that created a pool of psychic energy, which was then used by other people to manifest their own religion, creating a feedback loop of spirits. Alessa was just one of many people to add their contributions to this pool, and, as we see in SH2, everyone has the potential to add their own spiritual energy to the town's: prisoners, clerks, hospital directors and depressed rich people.

Now, idk if any of this made any sense, and I don't ever expect an official explanation, because that would simply destroy the mystery, but honestly, if they ever do come up with an explanation, that's one of the best they could come up with. It makes perfect sense for me and it's not cliché.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: I think I solved one of SH's greatest mysteries.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11383
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Makes sense to me. Though rather than White Claudia being the source, there's some implications that it's Lake Toluca that has power. Perhaps because of that, White Claudia seems to mostly grow around the lake's shorelines.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 689
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
Honestly, I've had very similar theories and thoughts to yours.

Since the lore itself is still and always will be filled with ambiguity, it's impossible to really know for sure. But to me, it's logically sound.

Hallucinogenic's are notoriously spiritually profound. What white claudia could probably do, especially if it's anything close to something like ayahausca, could absolutely in my opinion, lead to the profound changes in the world. Especially with people as psychically powerful as Alessa. The latent spirituality of the land, lending its share of help I'm sure, for better or worse (for very worse). Or even just the concept of it taking form in their minds.

By the time Silent Hill 1 came around, they were selling off the drug PTV to tourists etc too. More and more people would be creating this truth of the world, which would bring about a stronger subconscious belief to it. I sure as shit wouldn't want to be playing around with somethin like PTV, holy fuck.

As for the echoes, that's pretty damn close to how I viewed them myself. Some are just more potent then others I suppose.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

AuraTwilight wrote:
Makes sense to me. Though rather than White Claudia being the source, there's some implications that it's Lake Toluca that has power. Perhaps because of that, White Claudia seems to mostly grow around the lake's shorelines.

I think the water and the lake to be very important. Maybe not the source per se, but it might where all the energy is stored and the mist, since it's literally the water from the lake floating around, and that's what connects people's minds with the rest of the lake itself. I think the plant is just what jump-started it all, altering the natural powers of people and leaving them as imprinted in the lake. I think in SH2 it mentions all the dead who are in the lake reaching out to the living, and the fact that the Church of Rebirth is located in the lake is also telling. I also faintly remember someone saying "the mist are the spirit of the dead visiting us" but I have no recollection of where I heard that.

Also, maybe that's why Water Prison used water so much? Or maybe just a coincidence.

Tabris wrote:
By the time Silent Hill 1 came around, they were selling off the drug PTV to tourists etc too. More and more people would be creating this truth of the world, which would bring about a stronger subconscious belief to it. I sure as shit wouldn't want to be playing around with somethin like PTV, holy fuck.

I think people could manipulate this energy by using their natural talents and the help of White Claudia. I didn't mention it, but White Chrism seems to be an extract of White Claudia, and maybe that's why it's so important to the rituals: It can make you high and maybe tap into the spiritual powers in the lake.

I think this could be a cool subject for a game or story in Silent Hill rather than the "personal purgatory" aspects we've had so far.

Quote:
As for the echoes, that's pretty damn close to how I viewed them myself. Some are just more potent then others I suppose.

I think so. I wish we had more examples, but the only really good one is Ernest. He left such a strong impression in the place his echos almost became a full entity. Maybe due to longer time and depth of his sorrow.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 22 Feb 2012
Notes left: 840
At least people take the time to post all that stuff. I'm hardly ever seeing any new posts on any of these forums anymore. So well done for keeping this place looking active. :D

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1482
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
Interesting post, it's rare to find these kind of threads popping up nowadays.

However just like Aura I wouldn't necessarily say that White Claudia specifically is the source of power. The lore established by the writers rather suggests that Toluca Lake is the source, as it has been stated that Native Americans deemed the area around the lake sacred and "holy" since centuries ago. I don't think its a coincidence that it just happens to be an area covered around the whole lake.

Almost all of the historical accidents, disasters, disappearances and strange events in Silent Hill have been related to Toluca Lake.

So there's definitely something astonishing going on at the bottom of that lake.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7998
Very interesting read and makes sense to me as well. And you even got AuraTwilight¹ expressing an opinion over a theory with pretty much zero nitpicking... I mean, I can't even remember when it happened last time! Mad props to you bro! :lol:

I also agree that a game exploring all the bad trips would be a nice change of subject, too.

¹Love you, xoxo :3

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Jonipoon wrote:
Interesting post, it's rare to find these kind of threads popping up nowadays.

However just like Aura I wouldn't necessarily say that White Claudia specifically is the source of power. The lore established by the writers rather suggests that Toluca Lake is the source, as it has been stated that Native Americans deemed the area around the lake sacred and "holy" since centuries ago. I don't think its a coincidence that it just happens to be an area covered around the whole lake.

Almost all of the historical accidents, disasters, disappearances and strange events in Silent Hill have been related to Toluca Lake.

So there's definitely something astonishing going on at the bottom of that lake.

Like I already responded do Aura, I do believe the energy repository is in the lake. The White Claudia doesn't give people powers, but rather amplify and attune people's natural powers powers. My theory tries to explain where the powers come from, and my answer is that it comes from people. It makes sense to me, since the powers seem to only react to the human psyche. Why would anything else react so strongly to people's minds? If it's natural, why doesn't it manifest in many other places? If it's alien, why does it understand our mind so well?

The lake is where the spirits are resting, and the mist is the spirits in the water making everything take shape.