Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Dec 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Timeline of Silent Hill's History—UPDATE: DECEMBER//23//

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
No, it doesn't. If the game hospital was a reference to the movie, it would be Brookhaven. But it's not. Therefore, it's not a reference.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 23 Dec 2009
Notes left: 207
Last seen at: Silent Hill.
JKristine35 wrote:
No, it doesn't. If the game hospital was a reference to the movie, it would be Brookhaven. But it's not. Therefore, it's not a reference.

You seem to have misunderstood me.

AuraTwilight was saying that the Alchemilla Hospital in the dream is a reference to previous games. And then I said that's probably true, but it doesn't change anything. The point still stands.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 08 Jun 2011
Notes left: 92
Last seen at: Canada
A calendar in the game shows the month as August.
The 1st begins on a Tuesday.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2662/augustq.jpg

So wait, does than mean Downpour takes place in August 2006 or August 2017?
...Downpour takes place a year before Homecoming?

I don't really like the idea of Downpour taking place before Homecoming (2007) and Shattered Memories (2008) because I feel like we're going backwards through time. I was hoping the game would be set 2009-2012.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19399
Last seen at: #lfk
SHATTERED MEMORIES doesn't take place in this timeline.

And the calendar on DJ Ricks' desk shows October. Seems like it'd be more accurate than a calendar in what looks like some warehouse.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Not to mention that Downpour apparently features transtemporal shenanigans.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 02 Dec 2007
Notes left: 73
Last seen at: R'Lyeh
Bought the game, just started playing so far. This is what I have so far:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Devil's Pit Mine was established by Gillespie Coal and Iron Co. in 1816

Within the Devil's Pit Mine, the Chinese discovered the Cave of Tears in 1863

Extraction of ore and minerals began in 1860 by GCI Co.

In 1911, miners discover odd symbols carved into the limestone in the Superstition Caves.

I would like to point out the Gillespie Coal and Iron Co. This is a strong nod to the Gillespie family of which Dahlia and Alessa are members of. Although speculative at this point, it's easy to conclude that this just may be a family business they were in if you were to connect the dots.

This is your warning: Do not post spoilers for this game with no tags again.
-The Mgmt.

"Deep into that darkness peering,
Long I stood there,
Wondering... Fearing... Doubting..."

-Edgar Allen Poe-

RESPECT

I'm not reading that until I play the game.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 12 Aug 2010
Notes left: 38
I've got almost all of the dates for Downpour worked out (they're all in my thread in the spoilers forum, but I need to reformat it in an organized manner now that I've finished the game) - there's a little wonkyness with the incarceration dates. I can't figure out if ...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Murphy was locked up for months or years before becoming eligible for parole - or when Napier took which kids. Though, I do know that AFTER he was due for parole, the rest is easily traceable. Especially since Sewell kinda screwed that over.

It's August 2006, as Alex suggested (there's another memo referencing a patient born in 1976 currently being 20) -- there are also some mini calendars in the game that don't have month or year labels on them, but feature a date set-up conforming to July 2006, with the 10th of the month highlighted.

Maybe that was the day the rain began?
On the ground, you can find newspapers that say "FREAK STORM HITS SILENT HILL."

Just Passing Through

The Adversary wrote:
SHATTERED MEMORIES doesn't take place in this timeline.

And the calendar on DJ Ricks' desk shows October. Seems like it'd be more accurate than a calendar in what looks like some warehouse.

How do you even Know it's October? It doesn't even tell you what month it is. Accoirding to http://www.timeanddate.com that calendar is July. Try the years 2006 and 2017.

Long I stood there,

-Edgar Allen Poe-

RESPECT

October 10 is circled, indicating a national holiday. It's Columbus Day, a national holiday. The same calendar is in the bank. So I'm set on October 2011.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 12 Aug 2010
Notes left: 38
October 2011 was the original release date for the game, so that would make sense. Do you think maybe the true date is October '11 and the in-game files and wall calendars simply reference 2006 for a plot-relevant reason? That perhaps Silent Hill itself is rebuilding August 2006 from Murphy's m--

Oh, shit, wait -- I think he's right. Don't click this until you're done, T.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Check the in-game files that reference Napier's capture in Brahms -- and the events leading up to the riots in July, six days prior to Murphy's would-have-been-parole. It's entirely possible that it IS October '11 and Murphy is reliving Silent Hill August 2006, THE YEAR OF THE RIOT. - hence the living wheelman and the pulling of the plug at the end.

The game probably just drags so much 2006 into it because that's where Murph and Anne are mentally at the time. Nice catch, man.

Last edited by LastScion on 20 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.

RESPECT

Thanks for the warning. I'm 1/3 of the way through. Fucking daylight.

The October calendar is all over the city, whereas the August calendar is only in a couple random places.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 23 Dec 2009
Notes left: 207
Last seen at: Silent Hill.
Teimoshi wrote:
Bought the game, just started playing so far. This is what I have so far:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Devil's Pit Mine was established by Gillespie Coal and Iron Co. in 1816

Within the Devil's Pit Mine, the Chinese discovered the Cave of Tears in 1863

Extraction of ore and minerals began in 1860 by GCI Co.

In 1911, miners discover odd symbols carved into the limestone in the Superstition Caves.

I would like to point out the Gillespie Coal and Iron Co. This is a strong nod to the Gillespie family of which Dahlia and Alessa are members of. Although speculative at this point, it's easy to conclude that this just may be a family business they were in if you were to connect the dots.

This is your warning: Do not post spoilers for this game with no tags again.
-The Mgmt.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Also, Devil's Pit Historical Park was founded in 1945.

Just Passing Through

http://www.xtimeline.com/index.aspx
Found this interesting website if you're interested in cleanup.

Long I stood there,

-Edgar Allen Poe-

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 05 Aug 2012
Notes left: 120
I would like to disagree on some of the dates on SH4.
Because it's basically all a little different I thought I'd post a timeline I did recently, mostly for myself. I don't want to press it on anybody, just thought I'd share it. And of course I'm always happy to get some feedback.:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
  • Walter Sullivan is born nameless in Room #302 of South Ashfield Heights [1]
  • Frank Sunderland finds the baby, his umbilical cord still attached. It falls of and is kept by Sunderland as a memento.
    He gives the boy into the care of St. Jerome's Hospital.
  • Alessa Gillespie is born

• Walter is adopted into the Wish House orphanage and given the name Walter.

• Jasper Gein is born

• Cynthia Valesquez is born

• Bobby Randolph and Sein Martin are born

• Henry Townshend is born
  • Events of Silent Hill Origins: Alessa Gillespies womb is offered up as a host for God to be born into this world.
    She splits part of her soul and Cheryl Mason is created.
  • Walter is undergoing heavy abuse by George Rosten of the Valtiel sect who was chosen to tutor him in scriptures
  • Walter is diligently studying the scriptues of the Holy Mother sect which manages the orphanage
  • October 1st: Walter starts writing a diary
  • October 2nd: Walter becomes friends with a child names Bob
  • October 13th: A child names John is taken to the Water prison
  • October 15th: Bob is also taken to the prison
  • October 16th: A group of important people is visting Wish House to attend the scripture reading and talk to the children. Among them is possibly Dahlia Gillespie, then priestess of the Holy Woman sect.
  • October 16th: An important person tells Walter that his mother is sleeping in Ashfield.
  • October 18th: Walter is sent to the water prison right after his discussion with the important person. He fears a certain man there, but is alright because it is God's will.
  • October 21st: Walter's resolve to read the 21 Sacraments perfectly grows stronger, as the important person said that this is the way to meet his mother. He is returned to the waterprison after that.
  • October 28th: Walter decides to go to Ashfield by himself.

• February 10th: Walter has apparently already made 2 trips to Ashfield.
  • March 17th: Walter did his 4th trips to Ashfield and is scared of the city and the apartment complex.
  • During his trips to Ashfield he becomes aware of a then 3 year old Cynthia Valesquez.
  • Walter lets a cage fall on a cat which is important to Steve Garand, owner of the petshop.

• Eileen Galvin is born.

• Events of SH1: Dahlia Gillespie dies and the Holy Woman sect looses its power.
  • Alessa Gillespie dissapears and is reborn as Cheryl Heather Mason.

• Walter receives a doll from a 5-year old Eileen Galvin and is heavily shocked by that act.

• Walter moves out of Wish House.
  • Walter approaches a then 13 year old Cynthia Valesquez and is rebuked by her friends. When Cynthia hears that he has been watching her for 10 years, she is disgusted an flees.
  • A middle aged man dressed in black enters William Gregorys clock shop and hands him a broken clock.
    That night Gregory dreams of the items that will become important to open the door to the past.[2]

• Walter moves into an apartment with a roommate in Pleasent River, where he also starts attending university (probably studying archeology).

• The Holy Woman branch of the Order is partially revived by Vincent Smith who becomes a leading priest.
  • February: A middle-aged customer tells Eric Walsh about the murder of Steve Garland and makes him flee home where Walter is waiting for him.
  • February: Over the course of 10 days Walter murders 10 people and collects there hearts in order to start the ritual of The Descent of the Holy Mother.
  • February: During the 10 days Walter grows anxious, muttering to himself that it wasn't him who killed the people and that the Red Devil will judge him, hinting towards him being controlled by something else.
  • ???: Frank Sunderland observes a man in a dark coat, with heavy tools, a bloody bag and an ancient cup ascending the stairs.
  • ???: Richard Braintree from his window in 207 watches the man in the coat enter room #302.
  • ???: Walter enters South Ashfield heights and sacrifices his own blood in #302 together with the other ingredients collected, by jamming his body on a cross in the storage room.
    An Effigy of him is formed and is able to travel to a dimension formed from Walter's mind. If it appears in this world it is immortal.
  • ???: A man identified as Walter Sullivan is caught, arrested and imprisoned for the murder of the Locane children on the 18th.
  • ???: On the 22nd, 4 days after his incarceration, the man commits suicide in his cell by jamming a spoon into his neck. His body is delivered to Silent Hill where its is buried on the cemetery near Wish House.
  • ???: The residents of South Ashfield Heights complain about strange noises from the supposedly vacant room #302.
  • The Valtiel sect looses power because of the deaths of Jimmy Stone and George Rosten. Toby Archbold starts supplying drugs in order to increase the cults influence and reopens Wish House with the money, winning him a position in the city council.

between 1994 and 2000
  • Joseph Schreiber moves into #302

• Peter Walls (Nothingness), a drug addict probably being supplied by Toby Archbold, is killed in his room in Hotel South Ashfield, having 12/21 carved into his body.

• Six months after his deaths Peter Walls body is discovered. Joseph Schreiber learns of this fact and is (again?) drawn into the investigation of the serial murder case.
    Because the murder took place 2 1/2 years after Walters death the police declares the culprit a copycat killer.
  • Joseph Schreiber publishes an article on Wish House.
  • Sharon Blake (Darkness) goes to Wish House in search for her parents, who had become members of the Order, because she read Schreibers article. There she is killed on the graveyard near Wish House by being drowned in Toluca Lake.
  • Toby Archbold (Gloom) is killed by being thrown down a cliff while trying to smuggle drugs to Mexico.
  • Wish House is abandoned and falls into disrepair.

2000[3]
  • April 4th: Joseph Schreiber is investigating the Walter Sullivan serial murder case as well as the religious organizations in Silent Hill. He writes his result in the Red Diary.
  • April 8th: Joseph Screiber is investigating a case of two people who he'd say should rather be called one person. All this happens in connection to the cult.
    "It has disappeared by now, but the spirit of that cult certainly lives on.

Actually, bizarre incidents keep happening in that town.

I am investigating two certain individuals right now.
    Putting it accurately, calling it one individual would be more correct.
    Only a little bit more and I should finally arrive somewhere.
    April 8th
    "
  • Events of SH3: Heather is found and drawn to Silent Hill where the leading figures of the Holy Woman sect (Claudia Wolf and Vincent Smith) die and the sect probably vanishes.
  • April 10th: Joseph Schreiber visits the ruins of Wish House, which apparently fell into disrepair after Archbolds death, and enters them. Inside he finds a certain book that is not an approved scripture, but actually contains something that is unfavourable or harmful to the cult. He doesn't yet read it completely. (Is this the Crimson Tome?)
  • April 16th: Joseph Schreiber is having dreams of a boy cowering over the body of his mother and crying for her to wake up. Right before the mother figure turns around he always wakes up.
  • May 2nd: Schreiber figures out the meaning of the carvings in the victims.
  • May 14th: Eileen Galvin looses the key to her aparment which is then found by Joseph Schreiber.
  • June 14th: Joseph Schreiber finds Walter Sullivans grave empty and 11/21 written on the bottom of the casket.
  • July 7th: Joseph Schreiber meets Jasper Gein and interviews Jasper about various things regarding the cult and learns from him (he is the certain source in the entry) about the 3 branches of the cult.
  • July 13th: Joseph Schreiber has a frightening realization which leads him to seal the storage area. (does that mean it was open? What about Walters body?)
  • July 20th: Joseph Screiber starts entering Walters world by some means and starts collecting information by the next person to rent his room. He unconsciously accepts his role as the Giver of Wisdom.
  • July 20th: Joseph Schreiber is probably locked into #302 by now.
  • July 20th: Joseph Schreiber is probably going around the worlds and leaving clues and items for his successor. Among other things he gives the blood-inscribed shovel to Jasper Gein.
  • August 2nd: #302 starts being haunted, which finally leads to Schreiber being killed sometime after the 25th.
  • after August 25th: Joseph Schreibers body is either discovered in room #302 or it opens up on its own after he vanished into the Otherworld.

• Henry Townshend moves into room #302.
  • Henry receives a picture of Toluca Lake from Frank Sunderland.

• Henry gets locked into his apartment and is unable to escape. The events of SH4 transpire over the course of at least a week.[4]

[1]Walter is said to be 24 at his death, the events of SH2 (where the newspaper is found) is dated to be 1993. Also Cynthias age is given as 29, which would make her born in 1974 if the game happens in 2003. When Walter talks to a 13 year old Cynthia in what is said to be 16 years ago from the events of the game, he says he has been watching her for 10 years now. That would place this event in 1987 and make Walter 18 at this point.

[2]It is given as an event 16 years prior to the games events. It would be fitting for it to coincide with Walter moving out of Wish House.

[3]In his entries he says that the discovery of Peter Walls body lies 7 years in the past and that it was 3 years after Walter Sullivans death.

[4]It is said that Henry has already lived two years in #302 before the events of the game occur. Considering it probably took a while for Sunderland to notice that Schreiber was gone, he probably moved in 2001. This would also place it 10 years after the murders in this timeline.
Also Walter would be born in the same year as Alessa, which would create a certain irony.

RESPECT

Based on Walter's diary, I determined SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM has to take place in 2001. I explained it in my endnotes.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through

The Adversary wrote:
Based on Walter's diary, I determined SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM has to take place in 2001. I explained it in my endnotes.

I saw that but I don't think that the writers really went that far as to match the dates of old calendars. They'd probably rather try to match the already established timeline of the former SH games.
Also, if SH4 happens in 2001, Schreibers death must happen in 1998 not in 2000. Schreiber says that Walters death lies 7 years in the past at the time he is writing the red diary, which in case of 2000 would be 1993. To make it 10 years from the games perspective and 2001 when the games happened, he must have written this 3 years before Henrys adventure.
Also, in case that Schreiber's April 8th entry actually talks about Heather (which is highly implied, as he had not yet have the theory of two Walters) then he would have known about her 2 years before the events of SH3 happened.
Also it would make more sense for Dahlia to actually visit the rival sect in 1976, some time after her own ritual of raising God had been frozen for the time being (with Alessa half gone and all).

Also while I commend you finding out the dates, the original entry of October 21st only says "Sunday is the day I leave the round jail to read the book.". This seems to imply that, being inspired by Christianity, the Order also celebrates God on Sunday, thus making it hard for Walter to leave.
You should also note that there were no entries between October 28th and February 10th, making it possible that he was released from the round prison after this and then started his trips to Ashfield.
Especially considering that Ashfield and Silent Hill are said to be half a days drive apart by car, it would have very likely taken Walter a little more to reach Ashfield by bus and train; thus his entries in the woods would likely not be on the same day as he went there.
We know that he not only visited South Ashfield Heghts, but also the downtown Ashfield district, the pet shop (where he injured Steve Garlands cat) and the sporting goods store. All this would have probably seperated him from Silent Hill for over a day, making it likely that he left on other days as well.

RESPECT

It also makes more sense for the game to be set in the year in which develop of it began. This has been the case for all of the main games since.

>Schreiber says that Walters death lies 7 years in the past at the time he is writing the red diary<
When?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through

The Adversary wrote:
It also makes more sense for the game to be set in the year in which develop of it began. This has been the case for all of the main games since.

Not...really...
SH1 - 1983
SH2 - 1993
SH3 - 2000
SH4 - 2003 (according to my logic)
SHO - 1976
SH Arcade - 1993
Only Homecoming can actually be supposed to be set in the year it supposedly started development and thus one year before it's actual release.

Quote:
>Schreiber says that Walters death lies 7 years in the past at the time he is writing the red diary<
When?

April 4th: What I am investigating right now is a case from 7 years ago. A case in which 10 people were murdered over 10 days. (私が今調べているのは7年前の事件。10日間で10人殺害された事件だ。)

May 14th:4 years ago from now my terrible premonition hit home, at that time I couldn't stop my body from shivering. It was when the corpse with 12/21 etched into it was discovered. The body had been dead for 6 months already. Walter committed suicide 7 years ago from now, 3 years prior to that time.(今から4年前、私の嫌な予感が的中し、体の震えが止まらなかったことがあった。「12/21」と刻まれた死体が発見された時だ。死後6ヶ月の死体だった。ウォルターは今から7年前、その時からは3年前に自殺している。)

July 18th: Whatever the man in the coat did in this room #302 7 years ago and the unusual phenomena in this same room now, have undoubtly some kind of connection. (7年前の、コートの男がここ302号室で何かをしていた事と、今、この302号室の異変は、関連性があるに違いない。)

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Not...really...
SH1 - 1983
SH2 - 1993
SH3 - 2000
SH4 - 2003 (according to my logic)
SHO - 1976
SH Arcade - 1993
Only Homecoming can actually be supposed to be set in the year it supposedly started development and thus one year before it's actual release.

Main games SINCE. Games before SH4 don't count, Arcade isn't a main game, and SHO is a prequel. Homecoming and Downpour both follow the rule Adversary described.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next