This is 99.99% mine and is the basis for most other peoples' work.
This is the first timeline developed by a fan. Most others' that have been done since were based on mine, so . . . go me. Feel free to comment.
If you would like to include this timeline on your Silent Hill Web site, do not steal it and do not alter it in any way, shape, or form. It is disrespectful to plagiarize the work of others, esp. when the attempt to pass it off as one's own effectively butchers the content. It is obvious when this material is stolen and thus infuriating. Simply contact me and something can be arranged. Thank you,
UPDATE 19 August, 2014
Fixed a typo. I should probably fix more.
UPDATE 22 November, 2012
Added some SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR information.
UPDATE 26 August, 2011
According to the calendar on the desk of the D.J. in SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR, the month is October. The date alignment works, most recently, for 2011. (Thanks, krakalackin!)
UPDATE 21 June, 2011
Entered the first date from Silent Hill: Downpour.
UPDATE 11 May, 2011
I've been working on this all day long and it's finally complete. Again. I changed some years aroundâ€”notable Origins, Silent Hill, and Silent Hill 3's dates. They make more sense now, and are all perfectly in tune as far as I can tell. Not a major change, no, but they all moved forward two years. I had some problems with the third game; however, it all worked out well.
You may also notice I have included notation for nearly every entry in the timeline. My notes for The Room are a wreck, and I've misplaced some of my sources, so there are a handful of s. That shouldn't take away from the rest of the material, thoughâ€”and of course I'll fill in the gaps as soon as I find everything again.
If you see any errorsâ€”either content- or formatting-wiseâ€”please respond in this thread or send me a private message. Thank you for your continued support.
UPDATE 10 May, 2011
I'm doing some stuff to this, so it will be temporarily down. Sorry for any inconvenience.
UPDATE 9 May, 2011
Silent Hill: Homecoming happens on October 16th, 2007.
UPDATE 27 April, 2011
Silent Hill: Past Life entry/-ies included.
UPDATE 21 May, 2010
It's funny what you can learn when reading while drinking: Douglas' retirement date.
UPDATE: 12 May, 2010
UPDATE: 03 January, 2010
Alex Shepherd had a traumatic experience as a kid, so I included it.
UPDATE: 31 August, 2009
Vincent has a last name according to the official Silent Hill 3 novel, published by Konami. It is included now (thanks to Burning Man).
UPDATE: 21 July, 2009
I forgot to add the Bartlett Winery's induction year. There now (thanks to Linda).
UPDATE: 6 July, 2009
Jasper Gein's age discovered and added. He's 30.
Oh, I also reverted back to my original date for Silent Hill 2: May 14, 1994. A minor discrepancy occurred. It's rectified now. Nothing to worry about.
Note the calendar seen in Amy Baldwin's bedroom: The month was November. This led me to believe she died in November one decade before the events of SH2. The calendar indicates the month began on a Thursday. The appropriate year for such an occurrence was 1984. Additionally, according to the Trick or Treat game show host, Billy and Miriam Locane were murdered "a few years back." So, the new dateâ€”or old date, really; the date I originally hadâ€”is May 14, 1994.
UPDATE: 16 June, 2009
Evidently I forgot to include the auxiliary characters' ages from Silent Hill: Homecoming, so those have been added.
I also finally discovered Deputy Wheeler's first name!
UPDATE: 1 May, 2009
Back. Please report any inconsistencies.
UPDATE: 29 April, 2009
Massive aesthetic overhaul being done. As such, I've deleted the contents temporarily. Everything will be back shortly.
UPDATE: 31 March, 2009
First update of the year. Minor adjustments made, mostly stylistically.
Additionally, while I don't agree in Silent Hill: Origins' canonicity, it will remain in my timeline for those who do. If something unforeseeable changes, I will make more adjustments. Just know that Travis' age does not make sense given the information provided, and there's nothing I can do to amend the error.
UPDATE: 17 December, 2008
Included birth years for the rest of the Silent Hill: Homecoming cast. That's all.
UPDATE: 14 October, 2008
Minor adjustments to the timeline, including updated information due to Silent Hill: Homecoming. Also: This post has been edited 50 times.
UPDATE: 7 October, 2008
Silent Hill: Homecoming was released. I've only completed the game once thus far, so my additions will be limited. Additional material will be added as the information becomes available to me. A memo FAQ would abet me immensely.
UPDATE: 24 May, 2008
Included Silent Hill's county's tri-centennial celebration date and rewrote a few endnotes.
Also, more importantly, a massive overhaul of the game's dates, by about three years for each entry due to an oversight on my part, has caused me to semi-drastically change this timeline which had been, until now, pretty much unamended. Oh well. For accuracy's sake, I have changed itâ€”as much as I hate to admit my errorâ€”though I will say: the years between each entry was still accurate, it was only that I chose the wrong year for Silent Hill 4: The Room to start from that caused the mistake. Now, though: Fix'd.
UPDATE: 02 Apr. 2008
Included Alessa's diary and made several stylistic revisions.
UPDATE: 11 Jan. 2008
Just a few additions. Nothing terribly important.
UPDATE: 10 Nov. 2007
Completed the game, so now I intend on putting in as many new dates as possible for Silent Hill: Origins.
UPDATE: 9 Nov. 2007
I've now begun including these update notices as I go through and add Silent Hill: Origins information. I have continued to not mark spoilers, but I've tried to refrain from stating anything that will ruin an entire game, so please be aware of that while browsing this. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to either a) post them here or b) send me a PMâ€”I will answer regardless of which method you choose.
Sometime in the future I'm going to put this online, to a Geocities site or something along those lines. That way it'll be easily accessible for everyone and it won't be required to scroll and scroll and scroll through pages on here.
The History of SILENT HILL and SHEPHERD'S GLEN
Up until late 1500s
Â· Silent Hill is deemed a sacred place by Native Americans; sacred rituals are conducted [o1]
Â· Settlers begin to occupy Silent Hill 
Â· An unknown epidemic breaks out in Silent Hill and the town is abandoned [o3]
Â· The town is resettled as a penal colony; Silent Hill Prison is constructed; Brookhaven Hospital is built in response to a great plague following a wave of immigration to the town 
Â· Devil's Pit Mine established by Gillespie Coal & Iron Co.
Â· Silent Hill Prison closes 
Â· Excavation of Wiltse Coal Mine begins after coalfield is discovered; Silent Hill is revitalized as a town 
Â· Members of the religious group located in Silent Hill separate from the group and found the town Shepherd's Glen and the Sect of the Holy Way 
Â· The South secedes from the Union; Civil War begins
Â· Silent Hill residents Edward Chester, and his son Patrick, participate in the Civil War ; only Edward Chester returns to Silent Hill 
Â· Toluca Prison Camp is constructed for Civil War POWs [1o]
Â· Toluca Prison Camp is converted into Toluca Prison 
Â· Events of Silent Hill: Past Life 
Â· The county in which Silent Hill is located is founded 
Â· People around Silent Hill began to mysteriously vanish 
Â· Bartlett Winery established in Shepherd's Glen 
Â· At the turn of the century, Toluca Prison closes and Silent Hill becomes a sightseeing community 
1914, June 28th
Â· The 19-year-old student Gavrilo Princip assassinates Archduke Franz Ferdinand; the Great War begins
Â· The Little Baroness ship sinks "for some reason" in Toluca Lake and nineteen passengers disappear 
1919, June 28
Â· Treaty of Versailles signed, Great War ends
Â· Helen Grady born 
Â· Michael Kaufmann born 
Â· Dahlia Gillespie born 
Â· "An even stranger event occurred" involving Toluca Lake and the sixty-seven men and women who died of illness 
Â· World War II begins after Germany invades Poland
Â· Douglas Cartland born in this decade 
Â· Devil's Pit founded as historical park
Â· Harry Mason born 
Â· Martin Fitch born 
Â· Margaret Holloway born 
1954, April 18th
Â· Adam Shepherd born 
Â· Cybil Bennett born 
Â· Thomas Orosco born 
Â· Token Wheeler born 
Â· Sam Bartlett born 
1959, November 4th
Â· Helen Grady attempts suicide and is committed to Cedar Grove Sanitarium 
Â· People linked to the development of Silent Hill begin to mysteriously die 
Â· Lisa Garland born 
Â· Lilian Shepherd born 
Â· South Ashfield Heights apartments built and opened 
1961, June 12
Â· Richard Grady hangs self 
Â· James Sunderland born 
Â· Curtis Ackers born 
Â· Walter Sullivan born and abandoned in South Ashfield Heights Apartments 
Â· Dahlia Gillespie gives birth to daughter Alessa 
Â· Mary Shepherd born 
Â· Harry Mason and Jodie wed 
1969 (ca. Sept. â€“ Dec.)
Â· Claudia Wolf born to Leonard Wolf 
Â· Eddie Dombrowski born 
Â· Jasper Gein born 
Â· Cynthia Valesquez born 
Â· Six-year-old Walter Sullivan returns to South Ashfield Heights weekly to visit Room 302 
Â· Andrew DeSalvo is hired as a watchman at Wish House 
Â· Bobby Randolph and Thane Martin born 
Â· Henry Townshend born 
Â· Alessa Gillespie gives childhood friend Claudia Wolf a birthday card, celebrating her sixth birthday 
Â· Vincent Smith born 
Â· County celebrates Tricentennial 
Â· Angela Orosco born 
Â· Alessa Gillespie allegedly killed in Gillespie home fire, six houses destroyed 
Â· Events of SILENT HILL: ORIGINS 
Â· Cheryl Mason born
Â· Amy Baldwin fathered by Ernest 
Â· Eileen Galvin born 
Â· Jodie Mason dies of an unknown illness 
Â· Lisa Garland dies
Â· Harry and Cheryl Mason visit Silent Hill for vacation: Events of SILENT HILL 
Â· Harry and daughter move to Portland, Maine
Â· Walter Sullivan meets Eileen Galvin at a subway station and is given a toy doll 
Â· Amy Baldwin dies after inadvertently falling out of an attic window 
Â· Walter Sullivan leaves a broken clock at William Gregoryâ€™s clock shop 
Â· Walter Sullivan meets Cynthia Velasquez in the subway, stops visiting South Ashfield Heights Apartment 
Â· Alex Shepherd born to Adam and Lillian 
Â· Elle Holloway born by Margaret 
Â· Walter Sullivan moves to Pleasant River from the Wish House orphanage 
1986, cont. (ca. May 7th)
Â· Laura born 
Â· Harry Mason shoots â€œoccult freakâ€ in self-defense; Mason family immediately moves from Portland and begins using alias Heather 
Â· Douglas Cartland retires as police officer; he and his wife divorce 
Â· Walter Sullivan begins "Ten Hearts killing spree"; within a few days, he is convicted and kills himself in his prison cell by driving a spoon two inches into his neck; days later a man is seen entering the then-vacant room #302 
Â· Ritual of the Holy Liberation/Assumption performed
1991 (ca. Summer)
Â· James Sunderland and Mary Shepherd-Sunderland visit Silent Hill
Â· Mary becomes ill and is hospitalized at St. Jeromeâ€™s Hospital in Ashfield p72]
Â· Lakeview Hotel burns down 
Â· Alex Shepherd (8 years old) saved by Dr. Martin Finch in school bus accident 
1994, May 9th
Â· Mary Shepherd-Sunderland is committed to Brookhaven Hospital for depression; she begins writing diary after being transferred to Brookhaven Hospital 
1994, May 13th
Â· Mary Shepherd-Sunderland is released from Brookhaven
Â· Mary Shepherd-Sunderland dies
Â· Thomas Orosco murdered
Â· Eddie Dombrowski shoots and kills a dog, flees to Silent Hill
1994, May 14th
Â· Events of SILENT HILL 2 
Â· The body of Peter Wolls is found in an Ashfield hotel with the numbers 12121 carved into it 
Â· The drowned body of Sharon Blake is discovered near Wish House with the numbers 13121 carved into it 
Â· Joshua Shepherd born to Adam and Lillian 
Â· Joseph Schreiber publishes exposÃ© on Wish House in the magazine Concord 
Â· Claudia Wolf hires Detective Douglas Cartland to locate Heather Mason 
2000, cont. (ca. Spring)
Â· Events of SILENT HILL 3 
2000, April 4th
Â· Joseph Schreiber begins keeping diary
2000, June 14th
Â· Joseph Schreiber travels to Silent Hill and discovers Walter Sullivanâ€™s grave is empty
2000, late-June / early-July
Â· A third victim in "the Sullivan Case round two," Toby Archibold, is discovered in Mexico
2000, early August
Â· Joseph Schreiber disappears 
Â· Henry Townshend moves into room 302 of South Ashfield Heights Apartments 
Â· Henry Townshend purchases a new dress shirt from Express Fashion 
Â· Events of SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM 
Â· Alex and Joshua Shepherd involved in boating accident on Toluca Lake
Â· Alex is hospitalized at Alchemilla Hospital
2006, February 26
Â· Murphy Pendleton arrested for stealing police cruiser
2007, October 16th
Â· Events of SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING 
Â· Events of SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR 
o1. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle, Tokyo: Konami and NTT Publishing, 2003.
o7. SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING indicates the religious group existed during the middle of the 19th century, though it is not confirmed when in this century the religion was first organized.
o8. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
o9. Waltz, Tom. Silent Hill: Past Life. Illus. Menton3. San Diego: IDW Publishing, 2011.
1o. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
12. Tom Waltz, the storyâ€™s author, has confirmed its date.
13. A newspaper in SILENT HILL: ORIGINS has a headline celebrating the countyâ€™s tricentennial.
14. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
15. A sign near the winery in SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING indicates the year in which it was founded.
16. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
17. An article in Toluca Prison [SILENT HILL 3] titled â€œLegend of the Lakeâ€ indicates when the Little Baroness sank.
18. A status report regarding Helen Gradyâ€™s condition at Cedar Grove Sanitarium is dated February 7, 1961. Her age is listed as 35.
19. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
21. The article â€œThe Legend of the Lakeâ€ also reads, â€œIn 1939, an even stranger event occurred.â€ In Rosewater Park, a memorial to the â€œsixty-seven who died of illness and now sleep beneath the lakeâ€ is displayed. The two are undoubtedly linked.
22. An exact age for Douglas Cartland is not given; however, in SILENT HILL 3, he tells Heather heâ€™s â€œfifty-something years old.â€
23. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
24. Silent Hill: Homecoming Official Strategy Guide
26. Ibid. Alex Shepherdâ€™s dog tags confirm this ageâ€”they are his fatherâ€™s.
27. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
28. In the article about Thomas Oroscoâ€™s murder [SILENT HILL 2], his age (39) is given.
29. Silent Hill: Homecoming Official Strategy Guide. His first name is courtesy of Mis. Krist.
31. A police report in Cedar Grove Sanitarium [SILENT HILL: ORIGINS] reveals the date of incidence.
32. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle indicates that â€œaround 20 years ago [. . . t]he staff of a company that was working on developing the town as a sightseeing area died mysteriously one after the other.â€
33. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
34. Silent Hill: Homecoming Official Strategy Guide
35. The official SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM Web site states the apartment complex "was built about forty years ago."
36. Travis Gradyâ€™s â€œluckyâ€ quarter has the number 61 etched into it, commemorating the year 1961. The puzzle, a rotary calendar, to which it is used has the full date â€œ06/12/1961.â€
37. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
38. Silent Hill: Homecoming Official Strategy Guide
39. Walter Sullivanâ€™s age of death is listed as 24 in Silent Hill 4: The Room Official Guide Complete Edition. The events of SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM occur ten years later.
40. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
42. Sadamu, Yamashita. Silent Hill. Japan: Konami.
43. Claudia Wolf, depending on the source, was either twenty-nine or thirty years old at the time of SILENT HILL 3. Depending on the time of year, she could have been born at the end and still be the appropriate age. For this, the latter part of 1969 has been chosen so she'd be thirty at the time of SILENT HILL 3.
44. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
45. Silent Hill 4: The Room Official Strategy Guide. London: BradyGames, 2004.
47. The days of the week on which Walter Sullivanâ€™s travels to Ashfield are chronicled in his diary, and all of the dates are on Sundays. By consulting a calendar and finding a year in which these dates all fall on Sundays yields not only his birth year, but also the year the events of SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM must occur (2001). See also 86.
48. 
49. The â€œVictim Profilesâ€ on the official SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM Web site state both Bobby and Thane were â€œEighteen years old at the time of the incident ten years ago.â€
50. No specific age is given, but the Silent Hill 4: The Room Official Strategy Guide indicates Henry Townshend is "in his late '20s." At this year, he would be 28 years old.
51. See 43.
52. This is an approximation. Vincent's age is between 24 and 26 at the time of SILENT HILL 3â€”twenty-five seemed suiting. His last name is revealed in the SILENT HILL 3 novel, published by Konami.
53. See 13.
54. Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle
55. A memo unavailable in both the U.S. or original Japanese releases of SILENT HILL indicates the Gillespie home fire destroyed six houses. This is confirmed in Silent Hill Official Guidebook Complete Edition.
56. SILENT HILL: ORIGINS occurs seven years before SILENT HILL.
57. A plate memorializing Amy Baldwin reads, â€œShe was loved too much by God. Seven years was not enough time.â€
58. 
59. Harry Mason tells Michael Kaufmann his wife â€œdied four years ago.â€
60. Alex's diary from the official SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING Web site included the date 1983 when referring to SILENT HILL's year of occurrence. This was based on my first timeline, posited back in, like, 2004. After escaping Silent Hill, according to Douglas Cartlandâ€™s journal, the Masons move to Portland.
61. 
62. While Maria is speaking with Ernest Baldwin, in reference to his daughterâ€™s death, he says, â€œItâ€™s been 10 years, but I still . . .â€
63. 
64. 
65. Silent Hill: Homecoming Official Strategy Guide
67. 
68. Laura tells James she â€œturned eight last week.â€
69. Douglas Cartlandâ€™s journal explains the Masons â€œLived in Portland 'til 12 years ago.â€
70. From Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle: He originally worked as a police detective but retired ten years ago. On that occasion, he and his wife were divorced.
71. Walter begins performing the Ritual of the Descent of the Holy Mother ten years before the events of SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM.
72. According to Silent Hill 4: The Room Official Guidebook Complete Edition, the Rachel living in South Ashfield Heightsâ€”and who is employed at St. Jeromeâ€™s Hospitalâ€”is the same Rachel who tends to Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.
73. In the employee lounge room of Lakeview Hotel, a schedule is â€œdated one year ago.â€
74. In the newspaper article in SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING, Alex Shepherd is reported to be eight years old.
75. The diary on Brookhaven Hospitalâ€™s roof [SILENT HILL 2] is Mary Shepherd-Sunderlandâ€™s.
76. Only a few short hours after Mary Shepherd-Sunderland dies, James Sunderland receives a letter from her from Silent Hill. This is on the next day after Maryâ€™s final journal entry.
77. In Joseph Schreiberâ€™s journal entry dated May 8th, he writes, â€œIt was four years ago that they discovered the body with â€˜12/21â€™ carved into it.â€ This was Peter Wollsâ€™ body.
78. See 77. Sharon Blakeâ€™s body was found a few days after Peter Wollsâ€™.
79. Alex Shepherdâ€™s journal entry for August 8th reads, â€œJoshuaâ€™s ten years younger than me.â€
80. Joseph Screiberâ€™s article, because of itâ€™s presence in SILENT HILL 3, indicates it must have been written before Heatherâ€™s journey. Its content also suggests it was published around the same time he began his investigation into the religious group of Silent Hill, therefore prior to his journal entries regarding Walter Sullivan. This investigation acts as the impetus to further explore Walter Sullivan and Wish House.
81. Claudia writes in her diary, dated November 16, "I donâ€™t want to be a mere bystander in this world. I canâ€™t do anything now, though, and thatâ€™s whatâ€™s hard." The two previous entries also suggest her desire to find Alessa. This is undoubtedly when she hired Douglas Cartlandâ€”only a few months earlier.
82. SILENT HILL 3 happens 17 years after SILENT HILL. It must also occur after Joseph Schreiberâ€™s article in the magazine Concord, and before he begins his journal on April 4th. On April 8th he claims â€œthe cult itself is gone,â€ suggesting that high-profile members of the religious group are deceasedâ€”Claudia Wolf, Vincent Smith, Jimmy Stone, and George Rosten, for example.
83. Joseph Schreiberâ€™s journal entry dated August 2nd is identical to the dream Henry Townshend experiences when he is first trapped in his apartment.
84. Eileen Galvin tells Henry Townshend Joseph Schreiber â€œdisappeared about 6 months before you moved in . . .â€ Henry moving in in December allows Josephâ€™s journal the appropriate amount of time before SILENT HILL 3 happens and the Orderâ€™s priests and leaders to be killed.
85. In Henry Townshendâ€™s closet is a box from EXPRESS.
86. Walter Sullivan, as a six-year-old, wrote in his diary on October 21, "I only leave the round cell on Sunday. And I go and read the book." We learn this entry is written on a Sundayâ€”the only day he is allowed to leave. The other days on which Walter travels to Ashfield (February 10th and March 17th) are, then, also on Sundays. Examining a calendar for a year (and the following year) in which these dates all occur on Sundays reveals they happened in 1973 and 1974. Therefore, by knowing Walterâ€™s age and that 28 years pass until Walter begins his murder spree and from when SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM occurs, the date is firmly established.
87. Both Token Wheeler and Elle Hollowayâ€™s journals end on October 15. The 150th Anniversary of Shepherdâ€™s Glen was celebrated on â€œSaturday and Sunday, September 20th and 21st.â€ Examining a calendar for days on which these dates fall reveals it occurred most recently in 2003. Alex Shepherd is institutionalized in Silent Hill after graduating high school and returns four years later, at the age of 22.
88. The alignment of the calendar on the music producer's desk is for October 2011. The 10th is marked specifically because that is Columbus Day.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.
. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Last edited by The Adversary on 19 Aug 2014, edited 99 times in total.