Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Jun 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

RESPECT
 Post subject: Re: Timeline of Silent Hill's History—HUGE UPDATE: May//16//

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
I've been thinking, since my latest, and massive update, I should stick with the 1976-2007 version I originally had if for no other reason than because that's the version Tom Waltz and co. have been using.

Honestly, I believe this version (1973-2007) is more accurate. But I still feel the earlier version is probably more along the lines of what was intended.

I should always stick with my gut—it always comes back to that earlier version.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: Timeline of Silent Hill's History—HUGE UPDATE: May//16//

Missing since: 21 May 2006
Notes left: 369
Last seen at: Italy
First of all, I'd like to thank you for adding all the new citenotes with much more references than before, that's been a huge but highly appreciated work.

I understand the biggest difficulties come when you try to make the two major timelines (SH4-SH2 vs SH0-SH-SH3) fit with each other.

The current starting points are the following:
- Walter's age (from JP official guidebook, cited by Burning Man on page 25 of this same topic) and Walter's diary (in-game content), written on a specific Sunday when he was 6yo - that makes Walter's birthdate equal to 1967 and SH4 happening in 2001.
The three most eligible years are, to be precise, 1990/2001/2007 (I can't tell for sure if SH4/Homecoming happening the same year is strictly incompatible, it sure would be "weird").
- The newly found calendar in Haerbey Inn (in-game content), dated June with Sundays bringing to 1982, 1976 or 1971 - keeping US calendars as a reference and considering only eligible years. From the year of SH1 we can derive those of Origins (7 years before, because of Cheryl/Alessa's age) and SH3 (17 years after, because of Heather's age).
That means either 1982/1975/1999 or 1976/1969/1993, or 1971/1964/1988.

The only link between the two timelines - correct me if I'm wrong - is Joseph Schreiber's article appearing in SH3 (in-game content) together with the content of the diary he keeps which can be read in SH4.
This link should define a window of how many years may have passed between SH3/Joseph's article and SH4.

I remember the window being "few years" because of Walter's murders, the Order disappearing and so on; could you please elaborate a bit on the topic so that we can firmly define the size of said window?

The exact gap is now 2 years (1999-2001), which I guess makes sense, but would it still make sense if it was eight years (SH1 happening in 1976)? I don't think so.
We can analyze permutations, what happens to the aforementioned window?
SH1-1976 means SH3-1993, SH4-1990 is then incompatible b/c SH4 happens after SH3 (end of the Order), while SH4-2007 creates a 14years gap, much larger than the 8 years gap of SH4-2001.
SH1-1982 means SH3-1999, again SH4-1990 is incompatible, SH4-2001 means 2 years, SH4-2007 is 8 years.
SH1-1971 means SH3-1988, the nearest combination is with SH4-1990, happening 2 years after SH3... But 17 years pass before Homecoming, which is strange at the least.

Apparently there are no combinations that can make SH3 happen "few years" before SH4, except yours which also draws a consistent big picture.

So, if we consider in-game content always a primary, reliable source AND if we consider in-game dates pointing the actual date of events (i.e. Heather found Joseph's article slightly after it has been written, the calendars in the inn is up-to-date and so on) AND we don't have incoherent in-game contents (i.e. we do not find two calendars in the same game pointing to different years with no reason), THEN your most recent - may 2011 - timeline is the most realistic.

As realistic as it could be, I guess.

Along with you died joy.
All that remains is despair and a future of meaningless tomorrows.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: Timeline of Silent Hill's History—UPDATE: June//21//2011

Missing since: 10 Oct 2008
Notes left: 874
I'm actually okay with the 1982, 1999 and 2001. The whole 1980 SH1 thing didn't sit well with me.

That Schrieber article is really the big issue. Then again I always thought what we've come to assume as a given based on the state of the Order may be a little more maleable.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 09 Jan 2010
Notes left: 43
Last seen at: In the mirror
Quote:
So is gravity.

The difference is that gravity is a THEORY which can be used to reliably predict future physical events - the "Mary stayed in Brookhaven" theory can't be used in such a manner and shouldn't really be compared with it (whether future creative artists refer to your work or not).

RESPECT

I never realized how many people online hate jokes.

>I'm actually okay with the 1982, 1999 and 2001. The whole 1980 SH1 thing didn't sit well with me.<
I guess I feel the same. SILENT HILL in 1983, my first projection, is probably the version I prefer, though, even if it's harder to reasonably explain the issue with the Order's collapse between SILENT HILL 3 and Joseph Schreiber's journal entry.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I am posting this mostly because I didn't know about it, and I see no mention of it in this thread.

There's a calendar in the Lakeview Hotel.

It's pretty telling?

RESPECT

Ya can't even make this up.

Anyway. Looks like SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR happens in October, 2011. The reason the 10th is squared off is because that's Columbus Day.

Special thanks to krakalackin!

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Timeline of Silent Hill's History—UPDATE: August//26//20

Missing since: 09 Dec 2004
Notes left: 37
Superb work.
Remember the cinema located in Silent Hill? One of the movies was "Crusher Dan" .
This name is taken from Crusher Joe movie Released on 12 March 1983.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Ryantology wrote:
I am posting this mostly because I didn't know about it, and I see no mention of it in this thread.

There's a calendar in the Lakeview Hotel.

It's pretty telling?

Too bad that Alex's Diary states that the time gap between SH and SH2 is 10 years, leaving only the 1983/1993 and 1988/1998 possibilities.

Either we totally ignore the diary, or we totally ignore in-game content (the calendars).

Also, I noticed that SH1 is no longer dated in April, but generically in 1983... why?

Along with you died joy.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Timeline of Silent Hill's History—UPDATE: DECEMBER//23//

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
The game content has to take precedence over a diary written by people who had no involvement in SH1's and SH2's creation process, so fuck Alex's Diary.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 23 Dec 2009
Notes left: 207
Last seen at: Silent Hill.
The Adversary wrote:
· Lakeview Hotel burns down [73]
· Alex Shepherd (8 years old) saved by Dr. Martin Finch in school bus accident [74]

It's "Fitch", not "Finch".

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Quote:
2000, cont. (ca. Spring)
· Events of SILENT HILL 3 [82]

2000, April 4th
· Joseph Schreiber begins keeping diary

2000, June 14th
· Joseph Schreiber travels to Silent Hill and discovers Walter Sullivan’s grave is empty

2000, late-June / early-July
· A third victim in "the Sullivan Case round two," Toby Archibold, is discovered in Mexico

2000, early August
· Joseph Schreiber disappears [83]

· Henry Townshend moves into room 302 of South Ashfield Heights Apartments [84]
· Henry Townshend purchases a new dress shirt from Express Fashion [85]

2001, December
· Events of SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM [86]

We know that The Room happens when Henry lives in the apartment since about two years, so 2000/2001 is quite okay, but still not perfect; perfection will be if he moved there in 1999.

Joseph, in his diary, states that "The man with the coat that showed up here was the real Walter. 7 years ago he did something in that apartment" - so only seven years should pass between Walter's ritual of the Holy Assumption in the back of room 302 and Josephs' diary... That would mean that Joseph's diary has been written in 1998. Or, at least, three years before SH4 (which happens 10 years after Walter's ritual).

We also know that Henry moved into the apartment six months after the disappearing of Joseph, so 1998 (August, Joseph disappears) and 1999 (Febraury, Henry moves) would fit. Then 2001 for the events of SH4 would still fit...

BUT, the events of Silent Hill 3 must happen before the events of The Room, and before Joseph writes his diary, b/c Heather finds an article by Joseph and b/c the cult still lives during SH3.
So SH3 shouldn't happen after 1998... So SH1 shouldn't happen after 1981... But proof (the calendar dated June 1982) and theory (Alex's diary stating Harry visited Silent Hill with Cheryl in 1983) collide with this.

So we have another dead end in here, or am I wrong?

Along with you died joy.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I'm a bit confused myself, because I thought there had to be at least a two and a half year gap between Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4, as Joe disappeared six months previous to Henry moving into South Ashfield Heights, and Henry was supposed to have lived there for two years as of the events of the game. The timeline has only 20 months separating the games, and that just doesn't work.

We can dismiss the Hope House article as being contradictory because we have no idea when Joseph wrote it. It could be dated by the time Heather finds it. Further, it is evident, from the tone of the article, that it was written before Joe has found out about Walter, as by that point, he has confirmed many of the things he only suspects in that article.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

I think - contradict me if I'm wrong, good Italian wine is in me right now - that everything would work if we assume the following.

The official SH4 Jap Guide states that Walter was 24 when he performed the Ritual of the Holy Assumption: this means either 1991 or 1992, because in 1992 he is 24 until he turns 25 (we don't know his birth month).

Then:

1982: in June, events of SH1 happen (see the in-game calendar and the "Summer Snow" OST track)
1992: ritual of the Holy Assumption / Walter's suicide / 10 hearts / Billy & Miriam Locane get killed (Walter is still 24 and would turn 25 during the year)
1994: SH happens "a few years" after Billy & Miriam Locane got killed (1994 is also in the in-game calendar)
1999: in March, events of SH3 happens (17 years after SH1)
1999: in April, seven years after the ritual of the Holy Assumption, Joseph writes his diary, and in August he disappears
2000: in February, six months after Joseph disappears (in-game content), Henry moves to South Ashfield Heighs Apartments
2002: two years after Henry moved to the Apartments, and ten years after Walter took the Ritual of the Holy Assumption (both in-game contents, I guess) the events of The Room happen

Along with you died joy.

RESPECT

SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM takes place in 2001 based on Walter's diary.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Walter is 34 during The Room.
Walter's diary only says he was 6 in 1973.
He can be 34 in 2001 or in 2002.
2001 is incoherent with the content of Red Diary.

If I'm wrong please correct me with more than one line because I've read through all your timeline and I still see the issues I just reported on this page...

Along with you died joy.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 23 Dec 2006
Notes left: 821
Last seen at: Blackpool UK
Got a new date for you, this flashed in the opening scenes video for Downpour
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 23 Dec 2009
Notes left: 207
Last seen at: Silent Hill.
The following should probably be added too:

Daniel Shepherd, Ann Holloway, Theodore Fitch and Helen Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective families on the 23rd of September to appease God.

Thomas Shepherd, Earnest Holloway, Rose Fitch and Charles Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective families to appease God.

Rebecca Shepherd, Lawrence Holloway, Rusty Fitch and Patricia Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective families to appease God.

redrum wrote:
Got a new date for you, this flashed in the opening scenes video for Downpour
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Okay, now I'm confused. Is his name "Pendleton or "Pendelton"?

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Apr 2007
Notes left: 96
That date is not accurate.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 23 Dec 2006
Notes left: 821
Last seen at: Blackpool UK
It has been changed since then? I was guessing that video was an earlier build :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next