At last, Gans speaks up. First interview post-Silent Hill.

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

The six PHs would have been a mistake, true.

If it's true Neil Gaiman is involved with the second film, color me ecstatic!
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

Oh this is fantastic! Been waiting for Gans to speak about the movie post-release for so long now...

How long before someone can translate this properly? I'm very grateful for the brief run-down of what's said, but it would be fantastic to hear Gans' own wording properly.

And I am absolutely delighted and thrilled that they're making a sequel, whether Gans works on it or not; though I really hope he does.

The first SH movie is really quite an extraordinary thing. There's a lot wrong with it, obviously, but it's such a fascinating and interesting piece of work that I can't help but adore it.
Silent_Hill_Tourist
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Hill_Tourist »

If you brought back Sean Bean to be in the film and had Neil Gaiman writing I would be so VERY looking forward to it.

But only if the storyline also sounded good.

But Gaimen is such a great writer AND a great guy. I love the film Mirrormask. If SH2 had the same dreamlike quality we would be in for gold upon a cinema screen.

But could Gaimen's writing be able to avoid the curse of bad sequels?
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/justatouristoptimized.jpg[/img]
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

SH2 movie could be like SH2 the game - word sequel would have no meaning could be brand new story
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Ive stumbled on comingsoon.com on this http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18163 which is basicly whats been said here and there is direct link back to these forums

Oh, I know you didn't just double post!
Xev
Historical Society Historian

Post by Xev »

-because of Onimusha.-

what is this Onimusha?

boblecon1096; thanks for doing all that translating!
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

starsail1929 wrote:-because of Onimusha.-

what is this Onimusha?
its a video game for PS2 about ninjas, stealth kills, harakiris etc crap
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Onimusha is a game about a few Samurai warriors in battle with demonic creatures and forces. The stories are to a certain extend based on the history of Japanese emperors.
I've only played and beaten Onimusha 1, the next two are on my list after I finnish the last two SH games I have left (1 and 3). Onimusha 1 was good, it was a mixture of puzzle and survivor. Very similar to Devil May Cry and Resident Evil in the playing style, but very diferent in the presentation.

At the moment there are 4 games out, all on PS2.
Here's some more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onimusha
Amazonagent
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Amazonagent »

While 6 PH's might have been overkil it would have been cool to see them slaying the church members :mrgreen: But I did always feel that when the church people ran to the door and tried open it that PH should have been there taking them out along with the barbwires of doom. :wink:

Thanks for the translations!
HammeringInMyHead

Post by HammeringInMyHead »

Amazonagent wrote:While 6 PH's might have been overkil it would have been cool to see them slaying the church members :mrgreen: But I did always feel that when the church people ran to the door and tried open it that PH should have been there taking them out along with the barbwires of doom. :wink:

Thanks for the translations!
That would have been incredibly cool.

It seems that Gans had a lot of great ideas that couldn't have been done due the budget and crap like that.
Amazonagent
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Amazonagent »

FYI, your translation got a mention over at TheMovieBlog.com with a link to the forum...that's sweet! :wink:
HammeringInMyHead

Post by HammeringInMyHead »

Oh! they metioned the forum!! That't great!
Amazonagent
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Amazonagent »

I also gave a shout out to bobble and the forum over at CinemaFusion.com :mrgreen:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i'm gonna be in the movie theater to the crack of dawn to see this movie followed by my mob of friends!!!!
Crimson_713
Just Passing Through

Post by Crimson_713 »

I'm glad that the fans on this forum can respect Gans' directing and writing, and I'm looking forward to seeing him work on a sequel. I think he got a little screwed over on SH1, in that he didn't get enough time to finish his ideas and wrap up the movie like he wanted to...Though 6 PH monsters might have been a little much, 3 might have been a magic number, and I felt that he needed to make another appearance toward the end of the ilm...If he had, the PH character would have had more relevance to the storyline instead of just being there to look like a badass.

Visually, I think Silent Hill is one of the best Horror movies ever made. Ever. The CG, the gore, the mixture of light and dark silent hill, the creatures...there's something inherently disturbing about that entire movie, save the scenes with Sean Bean, though I think he'd be good for the sequel. Though the gore might have been a little much for the squeamish (and non-gamers, of course), especially when PH tore the girl's skin from her body, I think it was tastefully done, and I'm definately going to get the Collector's edition as soon as I can.

Gans and Gaiman working on the sequel? I think I need a new pair of pants, and not in a bad way. I can't wait, and I'm definately going to be one of the rabid fans sitting outside the theatre at 4 am waiting for the doors to open. Hell, I might even be in full PH costume- I'm going to an anime con as PH next summer anyway.

As for Gans' Onimusha movie, I can't wait. My stepdad got me hooked on those games when I was still in high school, and I'll be in line at the theatre. Maybe not opening day, but definately in line.
"The fear of Blood tends to create fear for the Flesh"

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/crimson_713/Silent%20Hill/thPyramidhead2.jpg[/img]

"Death is this world's end to every kind of pain."
Nickq2007

Post by Nickq2007 »

For the sequel I certainly hope Gans returns as director, he did a great job with the first (though yes, a few mistakes) but I think he would greatly improve upon it with the second. Though, when he mentions 2 hours being too long I hope a sequel wouldn't be shorter, when I finished watching the first it felt short, I didn't realize how long it was. I think the sequel should at least be as long as the first. (also, it seems he would have no out-of-silent hill experiences in it as well.)
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

Someone at the Silent Hill Forum made a full translation of the article.

Link : http://www.silenthillforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 216&page=8

or

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1466021/INTERVIEW.rtf.html

Thanks to La Hire
Yahzee
Just Passing Through

Post by Yahzee »

Silent Hill was excelent. Cant wait for the sequel. And I hope Gans will return too. It would be a shame having a director that doesnt understand SH. And if they follow the story of the first film, I hope Sean Bean will be more important this time. You can build a great story based on the suffering his character has for having lost his wife and daughter
[url=http://silenthillmemories.co.nr/][img]http://filexoom.com/files/2007/1/10/52670/sh.jpg[/img][/url]
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Ugh, i'm still unsure about this... I hope they don't mess it up... There is just so much potential for suckage...
agawa
Just Passing Through

Post by agawa »

Considering how watered down the plot was, I find it very hard to believe he didn't intend to condescend to his audience. I'm not looking forward to a SH2 movie mainly because I just can't see him keeping the subtleties of the game at all.

Everything in SH was just bulldozed to become easier to understand, but also less interesting. Rather than having a believable, fleshed out church, we get a whole lot of boring loonies who are set on burning witches. Right. And Alessa, rather than really having any character, becomes someone set entirely on revenge. Yes, Cheryl/Sharon is her innocent side, but that doesn't mean that what is left must be entirely revenge bent. The opposite of innocence isn't necessarily guilt.

Anyway, I appreciate the SH movie for what it is - an excellent, vapid, horror flick - but I'd rather that a SH2 movie be a direct sequel to the first movie or not exist at all, since I really don't want to see Gans' take on SH2.