Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 21 Aug 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 04 Dec 2006
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: Yus
Speaking of her outfit, you can actually buy it here.
http://www.premiereprops.com/product_in ... ts_id/2093

it's A LITTLE expensive, but it's just cool to check out :D

_________________
-Sute


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
The Red Nurse would be considered to be Lisa just like Rose represents Harry, you don't see the corilation in that? The same way they call Pyramid Head, Red Pyramid
I really don't see what difference it makes anyway the character is on screen for 1 or 2 minutes. Not enough for a name and subplot.


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Dec 2006
Notes left: 358
Last seen at: IN UR HOZPITL, KILLIN UR NURSEZ
Sute88 wrote:
Speaking of her outfit, you can actually buy it here.
http://www.premiereprops.com/product_in ... ts_id/2093

it's A LITTLE expensive, but it's just cool to check out :D


Yeah! 2199 dollars for a dirty blouse! OMG buy buy buy!

_________________
Rule no. 34: If it exists, there is porn for it.
In het zwart - door een gat in de nacht - aan het heden ontsnapt. - J.A. Deelder


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 10 Dec 2006
Notes left: 25
Last seen at: The opposite world
Stevo wrote:
Sute88 wrote:
Speaking of her outfit, you can actually buy it here.
http://www.premiereprops.com/product_in ... ts_id/2093

it's A LITTLE expensive, but it's just cool to check out :D


Yeah! 2199 dollars for a dirty blouse! OMG buy buy buy!

You could just buy a compilation of your own from plain clothes stores!

_________________
"They've come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of paradice, despoiled by mankind."
My Silent Hill 3 novelisation in the making now.


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Dec 2006
Notes left: 358
Last seen at: IN UR HOZPITL, KILLIN UR NURSEZ
Just because Rada Mitchell wore it doesnt make it such a wannahave imo. Besides the costume itself isnt that note worthy. I would rather have something like Alessa's dress, the red nurses outfit or PH's helmet as a collectors item.

_________________
Rule no. 34: If it exists, there is porn for it.
In het zwart - door een gat in de nacht - aan het heden ontsnapt. - J.A. Deelder


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 10 Dec 2006
Notes left: 25
Last seen at: The opposite world
idoless wrote:
I watched some show that was talking about the making of Silent Hill and hey brought up Rose's clothing. She has like 50 different costumes of the same one only all stained to a lighter or darker degree. I could be wrong, but I remember them saying the color of her clothing was significant because it symbolizes how much truth Rose knows at the time. So obviously as she discovers more about who her daughter is, the dress gets a darker red.


I ditto that.

_________________
"They've come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of paradice, despoiled by mankind."
My Silent Hill 3 novelisation in the making now.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 04 Dec 2006
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: Yus
Stevo wrote:
Just because Rada Mitchell wore it doesnt make it such a wannahave imo. Besides the costume itself isnt that note worthy. I would rather have something like Alessa's dress, the red nurses outfit or PH's helmet as a collectors item.


Yea, there's some other stuff still available, but the really good stuff was taken probably right after the movie came out, or maybe before that. Plus, some good stuff won't even be up for selling, because of sequals and such. Then again, characters change clothes.

_________________
-Sute


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Mar 2006
Notes left: 138
Last seen at: Surrey, England
Phantom Allure wrote:
Perhaps, but you wouldn't see the red nurse stumbling around uncertainly like the other characters you just listed... Pyramid Head in the game had eyeholes in his helmet, BTW, and the movie-version had screen grids on the triangular "bird-eyes" of his helmet...


Well...off topic I know, but I have read the threads on Pyramid Head's "eye hole" and there's no conclusive proof that he does have one in the game. But obviously what Pyramid Head in the game is irrelevant in this thread, because we're talking about the movie. I realise that Red Pyramid has a sort of grating thing on his head, but I choose to ignore the possibility that it is a visual aid for my theory! ;)

Quote:
On a side-note, 'tis true that you shouldn't look at this movie in a literal context... but on the same time, you shouldn't make the mistake of over-analyzing things just so you could create multilayers of meaning where there might have been none in the first place.


Welcome to the Silent Hill Forums! This place lives for overanalysing! ;) But seriously, I'm not trying to deliberately come up with "my own theories" about the film. I've just spent time trying to work out the puzzle Christophe Gans and Roger Avary created.

Quote:
As I try to put myself in Gans' shoes in looking at the movie as a whole, I personally don't see any deeper meaning to the presence of Pyramid Head in there other than as an homage to the most famous character in the game, because his original symbolism (guilt and self-persecution) doesn't fit in the movie's plot.


You really have to forget the games, you really do. I'm not sure there is any "symbolism" regarding the Red Pyramid in the film, but obviously it has nothing to do with what he symbolises in the games. Because the film is most definitely not an adaptation of the games. Inspired by them, yeah, but not an adaptation.

Quote:
We were talking about why Rose's outfit changed colors in increments here... why on earth do you keep persisting the nurse's red sweater had anything to do with her being blind? She was wearing it as an allusion to Lisa's character as the necessary caretaker of Alessa in the game! (before you say anything against this, "allusion" does not mean she IS Lisa). Your theory would have been more compelling if the sweater only turned red in the aftermath of Alessa's "awakening" but it didn't... she obviously just wore it out of personal preference while working in the hospital.


You're misunderstanding what I was saying. I'll break it down.

1) The Red Nurse wears a red sweater. I do not know WHY she wears a red sweater, but she does wear one. Maybe she has a special role within the hospital. Maybe she was cold and put her cardigan on. It's not explained. The colour of her sweater is important, however, to make her distinct, special, and make her stand out. (It's also obviously an homage to Lisa Garland from the game, but obviously as you say she's NOT Lisa.)

2) Why does Rose's outfit change to red? Why? What symbolic meaning could that have? Red is usually used in films to signify danger, or else to stand out. Maybe Rose's dress becoming red during that key scene where she meets the demon is just to warn her of the danger she's facing in her decision to trust the demon? But usually when someone wears red on film there's nothing else on screen which is red. Red stands out a mile off, and you don't want to be distracted by having two red things on screen at the same time. (Imagine Don't Look Now if Donald Sutherland was also wearing a red jacket! Would destroy the film!) So why is Rose's costume red at the same time as the Red Nurse is on the screen?

3) It's to create a link between them. "They're both wearing red, in the same scene, in the same shot." It's a most definite link. I don't see how it could be not.

4) The next part is more speculative and you have to work out why they want to link Rose to the Red Nurse. What happens at this point in the film? Rose makes a pact with the demon, thinking that it will a) get her back her daughter, and b) will get her home. Obviously this does not happen at the end of the film. Rose has made a wrong decision. She has fallen into the demon's trap.

5) Add to that all the references to "blindness" throughout the film which I'd previously picked up on before trying to work out this particular scene. Rose is blind to what her decision will bring. She's being linked to the Red Nurse through the colour of her clothes. It is only after the pact is made that we see that the Red Nurse has literally been blinded.

It all fits. The theme of blindness through the film. The link (through the use of the colour red) between Rose and the Red Nurse. Both blind; one metaphorically, one literally.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to explain why the Red Nurse is wearing red. She could've been wearing yellow with pink polka dots (and Rose's dress could've become yellow with pink polka dots) for the same connection to be made. The reason the Red Nurse's dress is red is because a) an homage to Lisa Garland, b) it stands out more (especially because most of the colours within the film are very muted), and c) they could sneakily make Rose's dress become more and more red as blood is thrown on her throughout the film.

I really don't think I'm overanalysing this, but obviously you don't have to believe it, and if you want to come up with your own explanations as to why Rose's dress turns red and what correlation (if any) there is between her and the Red Nurse (though there obviously is one...Gans is too obsessed with visuals to just accidentally have two characters wearing bright red in the same room at the same time for no reason).

Quote:
This is just like saying:

A + B = AB

B + C = BC

hey, AB and BC both have B, therefore, AB = BC! :?


Heh...well, this is how interpretation works! That's how connections are made! One simple idea (in this case a colour) linking together two otherwise separate ideas. This is how books and films work! And believe me, I've argued much more tenuous theories in English Lit and Film Studies essays back in the day. There's never any "right" or "wrong" as long as you can prove what you're saying back in the original material. Though this one just screams logical to me and I suspect that it's what was originally intended by the authors of the film. But maybe it is just me and my wild delusions.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
If anyone has ever seen the sixth sense M. Knight Shamylan has a very simuliar point of view as far as the color red is conserned. He places something key with the color red that's pivotal to a scene. Although the Red Nurse has a red sweater on she has no story except being blinded by Dark Alessa. Now Rose's outfit turning red was the pivotal point of truth. Now one thing I don't get and maybe someone can clear this up for me is, why go from brown to gray than red? I would've thought of putting her in a light color and than slowly go darker.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 25 Apr 2006
Notes left: 826
Last seen at: the place of broken dreams and mirrors
Brown is a definite color and red is a definite color. Gray is a very neutral, in-between color composed of black and white. I suppose they could've done it the other way, but maybe this seemed like the best method to get across her transformation. *shrugs*


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
The whole film is a brainteaser . . . . I rather like it! Thanks for your insight.


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
I always try to spot the changes to her skirt throughout the film, but the only noticable part for me is when [spoiler]she heads into Alessa's room.[/spoiler] I guess the changes are really subtle, because I didn't see any until that point, and I doubt they managed to use all of those different skirts after that part in the movie. Either that or I'm going blind.

_________________
I once was lost, but am now profound.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 1937
Quote:
You really have to forget the games, you really do. I'm not sure there is any "symbolism" regarding the Red Pyramid in the film, but obviously it has nothing to do with what he symbolises in the games. Because the film is most definitely not an adaptation of the games. Inspired by them, yeah, but not an adaptation.

If you completely forget the games, you totally miss out on why Silent Hill IS Silent Hill as it is in the movie. You're supposed to just accept the cycle of fog and darkness at face value then, it not being explained thoroughly in the film?

Quote:
I've just spent time trying to work out the puzzle Christophe Gans and Roger Avary created.

What proof is there that there actually is one? (regarding the connection between Rose and the nurse's outfit)

Quote:
I really don't think I'm overanalysing this, but obviously you don't have to believe it, and if you want to come up with your own explanations as to why Rose's dress turns red and what correlation (if any) there is between her and the Red Nurse (though there obviously is one...Gans is too obsessed with visuals to just accidentally have two characters wearing bright red in the same room at the same time for no reason).

Rose is not wearing bright red but maroon, the color of dried blood (which is why many did not pick up on the color change immediately). Also, as I keep repeatedly pointing out, the nurse is wearing red because there is ALSO a nurse wearing red in the game (as in, there's ALSO a burnt-up girl named Alessa, there's ALSO lots of rust and gunk when darkness takes over the time, there's ALSO fog, etc...)
If you still didn't get it, here's a simpler explanation:
[spoiler]Gans is trying to be faithful at visually portraying the games.[/spoiler]

Quote:
But maybe it is just me and my wild delusions.

Now that, I can agree with. :wink:

_________________
Deviantart account
My SH fanfic novel l Monster design set 1 l Monster design set 2 l Monster design set 3 l Bosses design l Commission design l Manga sample pages


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 04 Dec 2006
Notes left: 64
Last seen at: Yus
Msgrim wrote:
The whole film is a brainteaser . . . . I rather like it! Thanks for your insight.


Yea, I think so, too, I love indepth series, whether it's game or movie form. I really love the twists, since you don't know what's going on quite yet til the end of the film.. in which when you watch it again, EVERYTHING makes sense and falls into place.

_________________
-Sute


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
I'm the type of gal who loves a good mystery and I don't like predictability in films and shows. These days you can pretty much guess on what's to come, but not with this film. You normally expect a happy ending in horror films which is, the villian is defeated and the hero or heroin go on to live or get ready for the next sequal.
This film was like evil vs evil and the good people in between and the heroin goes home with the devil. Who would've predicted that?


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Rose's Outfit...
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 11 Sep 2009
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Germany
So did the creators say something about this?

When she start the film she has brown shirt
Image


when she reaches the school her shirt gets almost white
Image
Image

after they talked with Cristabella its get browner again, her skirt changed also
Image


after she passed the nurses her cloth is red
Image

when she gets inside the chuch at the end she lost her long sleeve shirt
Image

_________________
Making of Silent Hill 2 - HQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VKvED76WQ&feature=relmfu&video=unblocked


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: Rose's Outfit...
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4638
Last seen at: Colorado
Yes- in an interview, which I think is in the special features for the movie, they said it was done purposefully and is symbolic, as the otherworld progressively affects Rose, or something along those lines. I can't seem to find the quote.

_________________
Hunting the abyss lord... only one will stay alive!
Image


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Rose's Outfit...
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 11 Sep 2009
Notes left: 14
Last seen at: Germany
I looked at color meanings, could be it

Brown
The color of security, protection and material wealth
Relating to the protection and support of the family unit, with a keen sense of duty and responsibility, brown takes its obligations seriously.

White
The color white is purity, innocence, wholeness and completion
In color psychology white is the color of new beginnings, wiping the slate clean, so to speak. It is the blank canvas waiting to be written upon. While white isn't stimulating to the senses, it opens the way for the creation of anything the mind can conceive.

Red
The color red is the color of energy, passion and action
Red is energizing. It excites the emotions and motivates us to take action.

_________________
Making of Silent Hill 2 - HQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VKvED76WQ&feature=relmfu&video=unblocked


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Rose's Outfit...
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
Gans said it's meant to show that Rose is being "impregnated" with Alessa's thoughts. It's no coincidence that the outfit first turns grey, and then later blood red.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Rose's Outfit...
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 514
Last seen at: Phoenix
The dress is blue. And so is the shirt I see in the middle pics.

Cloud wrote:
I looked at color meanings, could be it

Brown
The color of security, protection and material wealth
Relating to the protection and support of the family unit, with a keen sense of duty and responsibility, brown takes its obligations seriously.

White
The color white is purity, innocence, wholeness and completion
In color psychology white is the color of new beginnings, wiping the slate clean, so to speak. It is the blank canvas waiting to be written upon. While white isn't stimulating to the senses, it opens the way for the creation of anything the mind can conceive.

Red
The color red is the color of energy, passion and action
Red is energizing. It excites the emotions and motivates us to take action.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: