Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 30 Apr 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Rose's Outfit...

Missing since: 01 Apr 2006
Notes left: 105
Last seen at: OH
Okay this has been bothering me for a long time now...when rose is in the hospital and she runs into the room where alessa is, her outfit changes from the cream or brown or whatever you want to call it color with some blood on it, to all red. i dont think all that was blood from the nurses, and all the other blood spillings befor that, because it's covered, with no spots of the normal colors, but i could be wrong...to me it looks like it was died a dark red color. So can anyone tell me?

_________________
I am the very model of a scientist salarian. I've studied species turian, asari and batarian. I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology). My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian. I am the very model of a scientist salarian.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Apr 2006
Notes left: 71
Last seen at: Long island
I watched some show that was talking about the making of Silent Hill and hey brought up Rose's clothing. She has like 50 different costumes of the same one only all stained to a lighter or darker degree. I could be wrong, but I remember them saying the color of her clothing was significant because it symbolizes how much truth Rose knows at the time. So obviously as she discovers more about who her daughter is, the dress gets a darker red.

_________________
Image
Mega props to oraski for this sig!


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Rose's Outfit...
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 17 Apr 2006
Notes left: 464
Last seen at: Who cares???
Chy-Fi wrote:
Okay this has been bothering me for a long time now...when rose is in the hospital and she runs into the room where alessa is, her outfit changes from the cream or brown or whatever you want to call it color with some blood on it, to all red. i dont think all that was blood from the nurses, and all the other blood spillings befor that, because it's covered, with no spots of the normal colors, but i could be wrong...to me it looks like it was died a dark red color. So can anyone tell me?


^Do you have a Sshot of this?

idoless wrote:
the color of her clothing was significant because it symbolizes how much truth Rose knows at the time. So obviously as she discovers more about who her daughter is, the dress gets a darker red.


^Interesting...

_________________
Image
Thanks to HammeringInMyHead for Re-Master this Sig... Awesome..


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Apr 2004
Notes left: 1940
Last seen at: New York, NY
Idoless is correct, Rose's outfit changes progessivley from a chocolate brown, to grey, then a rust red. It was supposed to represent the more truth she learned about Silent Hill and the deeper she went into the depths of "hell" so to speak. The changes are very subtly because the outfits were ment to blend into the different "levels" of Silent Hill (ie: the real world, foggy world, the dark world, and heaven). It's pretty awesome how you tend not to notice it right away. :mrgreen:


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 17 Apr 2006
Notes left: 464
Last seen at: Who cares???
Its true... I didnt notice that... damn. I learn always something new in this forum...

_________________
Image
Thanks to HammeringInMyHead for Re-Master this Sig... Awesome..


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 May 2006
Notes left: 1880
Last seen at: in the branches that blow
Thats something I didnt notice either. Now I have to watch it again! any excuse really :P

but I have only watched it 3 times so far. First on opening night at the movies and twice on my dvd. :)

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Dec 2006
Notes left: 358
Last seen at: IN UR HOZPITL, KILLIN UR NURSEZ
Good find! I didnt notice it either. At first i figured its the fog and ash that made her clothes grey. but I stopped thinking about it and at one point I just believed she wore red underneath her coat.

Edit: Cleared up some brain farts

_________________
Rule no. 34: If it exists, there is porn for it.
In het zwart - door een gat in de nacht - aan het heden ontsnapt. - J.A. Deelder


Last edited by Stevo on 29 Dec 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Mar 2006
Notes left: 138
Last seen at: Surrey, England
The only explanation I can come up with is that her clothes progressively get redder and redder (becoming fully red at her confrontation with the Demon) to make a link between her and the Red Nurse. Who also wears red. (Obviously.)

But why link her to the Red Nurse, whom we know nothing about? How about this: It is only after Rose has agreed to help the Demon, and thus damned herself, that we see that the Red Nurse has been blinded. Rose is as blind to the truth behind her actions in assisting Alessa's Revenge as the Red Nurse is literally blind.

It's quite a hammy metaphor but it works if you think of the film as being about people blind to the truth behind their actions, and the blind justice they perform on others. (eg, the cult blindly murdering people, Dahlia blindly giving her child up to Christabella, Rose blindly accepting the Demon's offer). Note that there's lots of symbolism of blindness in the film too, with many of the monsters being unable to see (Armless Figure has no eyes, Red Pyramid has a...pyramid on his head, and the Janitor is wearing a blindfold), and of course the ever swirling fog which engulfs the town. Oh, and the way that Rose and her husband Chris are blind to each other throughout the whole film, despite often sharing the same geography (but existing in differing dimensions).

Rose's pact with the Demon is the key to the whole film, and the fact that in that scene Rose's clothes are as red as the Red Nurse's cannot be a coincidence.

I really love this film!


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 11 May 2006
Notes left: 1070
Last seen at: Computer Lab at Midwich Elementary
I noticed the bright red clothing in the hospital room when I saw it in the theaters. I think it's clever how it was one of the subtle things you notice after the you the movie repeatedly. Most people definately caught the change from rhe before and after, but the explanation is also helpful once you look back at the events.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 1937
Dark Sky wrote:
The only explanation I can come up with is that her clothes progressively get redder and redder (becoming fully red at her confrontation with the Demon) to make a link between her and the Red Nurse. Who also wears red. (Obviously.)

But why link her to the Red Nurse, whom we know nothing about? How about this: It is only after Rose has agreed to help the Demon, and thus damned herself, that we see that the Red Nurse has been blinded. Rose is as blind to the truth behind her actions in assisting Alessa's Revenge as the Red Nurse is literally blind.

It's quite a hammy metaphor but it works if you think of the film as being about people blind to the truth behind their actions, and the blind justice they perform on others. (eg, the cult blindly murdering people, Dahlia blindly giving her child up to Christabella, Rose blindly accepting the Demon's offer). Note that there's lots of symbolism of blindness in the film too, with many of the monsters being unable to see (Armless Figure has no eyes, Red Pyramid has a...pyramid on his head, and the Janitor is wearing a blindfold), and of course the ever swirling fog which engulfs the town. Oh, and the way that Rose and her husband Chris are blind to each other throughout the whole film, despite often sharing the same geography (but existing in differing dimensions).

Rose's pact with the Demon is the key to the whole film, and the fact that in that scene Rose's clothes are as red as the Red Nurse's cannot be a coincidence.

I really love this film!


There's no symbolism behind the [unnamed] nurse's red sweater at all because she was wearing it to begin with even before Alessa unleashed her power. It's probably just to make her stand out from the rest of the staff at the hospital.

Rose's outfit, on the other hand, DID have a symbolic context because the color changes occured at key moments in the storyline.

_________________
Deviantart account
My SH fanfic novel l Monster design set 1 l Monster design set 2 l Monster design set 3 l Bosses design l Commission design l Manga sample pages


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 May 2005
Notes left: 205
Last seen at: Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah, I'm reasonably sure that Rose's shirt becomes increasinly red as she connects more with the town...you know, learning the truth, being consumed by the Reaper...that old chestnut.

So basically what idoless said. The nurse is irrelevant in this matter.

_________________
Image
you know she moves like sin.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Symbolism?

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
Dark Sky wrote:
The only explanation I can come up with is that her clothes progressively get redder and redder (becoming fully red at her confrontation with the Demon) to make a link between her and the Red Nurse. Who also wears red. (Obviously.)

But why link her to the Red Nurse, whom we know nothing about? How about this: It is only after Rose has agreed to help the Demon, and thus damned herself, that we see that the Red Nurse has been blinded. Rose is as blind to the truth behind her actions in assisting Alessa's Revenge as the Red Nurse is literally blind.

It's quite a hammy metaphor but it works if you think of the film as being about people blind to the truth behind their actions, and the blind justice they perform on others. (eg, the cult blindly murdering people, Dahlia blindly giving her child up to Christabella, Rose blindly accepting the Demon's offer). Note that there's lots of symbolism of blindness in the film too, with many of the monsters being unable to see (Armless Figure has no eyes, Red Pyramid has a...pyramid on his head, and the Janitor is wearing a blindfold), and of course the ever swirling fog which engulfs the town. Oh, and the way that Rose and her husband Chris are blind to each other throughout the whole film, despite often sharing the same geography (but existing in differing dimensions).

Rose's pact with the Demon is the key to the whole film, and the fact that in that scene Rose's clothes are as red as the Red Nurse's cannot be a coincidence.

I really love this film!


Last edited by Msgrim on 01 Jan 2007, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
I don't see the redness symbolism other than the fact that it's connected to blood and the fact that Dark Alessa bathes in it later however I agree with Dark Sky on the blindness symbolism.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 122
I just figured it was a omage to the character life meter from the games, linking it to Roses understanding of events is very slick.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Mar 2006
Notes left: 138
Last seen at: Surrey, England
Phantom Allure wrote:
There's no symbolism behind the [unnamed] nurse's red sweater at all because she was wearing it to begin with even before Alessa unleashed her power. It's probably just to make her stand out from the rest of the staff at the hospital.


I never said there was.

But the Red Nurse wears red and is literally blinded. Her clothes are RED. She is the RED Nurse.

Rose's clothes become completely RED during the scene where she's in the same room as the RED nurse.

Rose (in her newly RED clothes) BLINDLY makes a pact with the demon, whereupon we see that the RED nurse is also BLIND.

The red in itself doesn't mean anything specifically (obviously you can say "blood" an' all, especially seeing as it's blood stains which make her top gradually more and more red), but it's the link between Rose and the Red Nurse which is important.

It's quite clever, I think.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 1937
^and my point is, you're trying very hard to put up a tenuous link between the symbolism projected by Rose's outfit and the nurse in red.

Besides, why would you think the nurse was blind? She navigated herself around the room quite handily, without having to hold out to anything and striding around in her high heels. It's more appropriate to say she was disfigured, as punishment for when Alessa perceived the nurse flinched at her grotesque form. The nurse was very careful to keep her face averted from Rose because of her shame at her state... Blind people wouldn't be too mindful of that, I think.

_________________
Deviantart account
My SH fanfic novel l Monster design set 1 l Monster design set 2 l Monster design set 3 l Bosses design l Commission design l Manga sample pages


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
The woman's eyes are backward that technically qualifies as blind, but there is blind and blinded. For example her eyes could've been gauged out of her head that would've made her blind. Certain colors like red to sensitive eyes can cause a blinding disorientation. Fog is also blinding in the fact that you can't see past the haze. That's my theory anyway, but what I think it all comes down to is descion making. What would you do or how far would you go for someone you love or even for yourself? She made a pact with the devil to save her daughter, she paid for it!

Oh by the way there was no link to the Red Nurse (Lisa) and Rose. the Red Nurse was part of the game so they just through her in there for cause and effect . . . Didn't Lisa hate the fact that she was assigned to Alessa and requested to be removed from her care?

Do not double post. Use the edit button. - Amy


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Dec 2006
Notes left: 78
Oh by the way there was no link to the Red Nurse (Lisa) and Rose. the Red Nurse was part of the game so they just through her in there for cause and effect . . . Didn't Lisa hate the fact that she was assigned to Alessa and requested to be removed from her care?


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 08 Mar 2006
Notes left: 138
Last seen at: Surrey, England
Phantom Allure wrote:
^and my point is, you're trying very hard to put up a tenuous link between the symbolism projected by Rose's outfit and the nurse in red.


I don't think it is tenuous, that's the thing. Most of the puzzles within the film require a bit of lateral thinking. But that's what makes it fun to try to figure out!

Quote:
Besides, why would you think the nurse was blind? She navigated herself around the room quite handily, without having to hold out to anything and striding around in her high heels.


In the same way that "blind" Red Pyramid can see where he's going. And the blindfolded Janitor. And the no-eyed Armless Man.

I say she's blind because there is major scarring around her eyes, which are completely white with no pupils.

The thing is...you have to have a laterally thinking mind about all this. If you want to stick with realism then you're gonna have to backtrack a bit and say, "hang on, how come there's loads of fog in the town when Rose is there, but none when Christopher is there?! What kind of freaky meteorological condition is this?!"

It's a fantasy film. Literalness is out the window.

There are so many references to "blindness" and "people being blind" throughout the whole film. I don't think it's too much a stretch of the imagination to believe that a character in the film with blood pouring from their pupil-less eyes is blind!

Msgrim wrote:
Oh by the way there was no link to the Red Nurse (Lisa) and Rose. the Red Nurse was part of the game so they just through her in there for cause and effect . . . Didn't Lisa hate the fact that she was assigned to Alessa and requested to be removed from her care?


Oh by the way, there is no character called "Lisa" in the film.

You really have to forget the games to be able to understand the film. You really do. The only connection between the games and the film is that the film was inspired by the games, and took some imagery, character names, and some sequence ideas from it. The characters are different. The story is different. The town itself and its history is different.

The Red Nurse is obviously inspired by Lisa Garland, but she most definitely is not Lisa Garland, because Lisa Garland is a character within the computer game "Silent Hill", whereas the Red Nurse is a character within the movie "Silent Hill", which are two seperate entities.
All we know about the Red Nurse is that she worked at the hospital Alessa was taken to after being burned by the Cult, got "curious" and peeked in at her, and then...something happened. We only see that she was blinded by Dark Alessa (or the demon) after Rose blindly agrees to help the demon to aid Alessa's Revenge, and thus condemns her judgment on the Cult. But who is she to judge?


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 1937
Quote:
In the same way that "blind" Red Pyramid can see where he's going. And the blindfolded Janitor. And the no-eyed Armless Man.

I say she's blind because there is major scarring around her eyes, which are completely white with no pupils.

The thing is...you have to have a laterally thinking mind about all this. If you want to stick with realism then you're gonna have to backtrack a bit and say, "hang on, how come there's loads of fog in the town when Rose is there, but none when Christopher is there?! What kind of freaky meteorological condition is this?!"

It's a fantasy film. Literalness is out the window.

There are so many references to "blindness" and "people being blind" throughout the whole film. I don't think it's too much a stretch of the imagination to believe that a character in the film with blood pouring from their pupil-less eyes is blind!


Perhaps, but you wouldn't see the red nurse stumbling around uncertainly like the other characters you just listed... Pyramid Head in the game had eyeholes in his helmet, BTW, and the movie-version had screen grids on the triangular "bird-eyes" of his helmet...

On a side-note, 'tis true that you shouldn't look at this movie in a literal context... but on the same time, you shouldn't make the mistake of over-analyzing things just so you could create multilayers of meaning where there might have been none in the first place. As I try to put myself in Gans' shoes in looking at the movie as a whole, I personally don't see any deeper meaning to the presence of Pyramid Head in there other than as an homage to the most famous character in the game, because his original symbolism (guilt and self-persecution) doesn't fit in the movie's plot. As for the nurse's condition: Alessa thought the nurse was revolted at her appearance, ergo, she ends up looking grotesque as well. But wait, she still needs to look after her... can't very well perform her duty if she became an invalid. Let's just keep the sweater because fans of the game will give a start and exclaim, "WTF, was that Lisa I just saw???"

We were talking about why Rose's outfit changed colors in increments here... why on earth do you keep persisting the nurse's red sweater had anything to do with her being blind? She was wearing it as an allusion to Lisa's character as the necessary caretaker of Alessa in the game! (before you say anything against this, "allusion" does not mean she IS Lisa). Your theory would have been more compelling if the sweater only turned red in the aftermath of Alessa's "awakening" but it didn't... she obviously just wore it out of personal preference while working in the hospital.

Quote:
I never said there was.

But the Red Nurse wears red and is literally blinded. Her clothes are RED. She is the RED Nurse.

Rose's clothes become completely RED during the scene where she's in the same room as the RED nurse.

Rose (in her newly RED clothes) BLINDLY makes a pact with the demon, whereupon we see that the RED nurse is also BLIND.

The red in itself doesn't mean anything specifically (obviously you can say "blood" an' all, especially seeing as it's blood stains which make her top gradually more and more red), but it's the link between Rose and the Red Nurse which is important.

It's quite clever, I think.


This is just like saying:

A + B = AB

B + C = BC

hey, AB and BC both have B, therefore, AB = BC! :?

_________________
Deviantart account
My SH fanfic novel l Monster design set 1 l Monster design set 2 l Monster design set 3 l Bosses design l Commission design l Manga sample pages


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: