Symbolism of the Grey Children

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

why couldn't they be the children? even with all her power, alessa was still a kid being tormented by other kids- i don't think she would have made the child=innocent distinction, especially for them...
but let's just say the gray-babies aren't her classmates... where are they? we see the church people, the miners, the janitor, everyone who (and i'm guessing here) didn't die from the coal fires directly, seems to be accounted for...
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I addressed why the Grey Children are most likely NOT the classmates. Everyone else she pulled into the Otherworld are people who caused her extreme, physical harm, such as the fire and the rape.

Besides, even if we did assume the children were pulled in, she wouldn't turn them into monsters. That was a punishment specifically for the Janitor, who was pretty much the worst of all her tormentors.

Then there's Lisa, who was probably attacked partly by accident by her newly budding powers feeding off her hatred, and she needed someone to take care of her anyway.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

Aura, that is very logical. I agree with you. I tink you hit the nail on the head
Life changes daily so go with it!
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Who says there is any symbolism at all for the grey children? It is a movie afterall. What was PH's symbolism? James wasn't in the movie.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

LanceS133 wrote:Who says there is any symbolism at all for the grey children? It is a movie afterall. What was PH's symbolism? James wasn't in the movie.
PH was probably something that the directors wanted to have it, and they thought the fans would love. Ironically, most didn't.
He seems to embody a kind of punisher, something born out of Alessa's rage.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Pyramid Head = The incarnation of Alessa's wrath. The pure power of her hatred.

She quite literally has killer rage.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

AuraTwilight wrote:Pyramid Head = The incarnation of Alessa's wrath. The pure power of her hatred.

She quite literally has killer rage.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Plus he looks bad-ass.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

Why do you think they put Pyramid Headinto the movie? He is supposed to be James's subconscious reminding him of what he did.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

alessas angel wrote:Why do you think they put Pyramid Headinto the movie? He is supposed to be James's subconscious reminding him of what he did.
....Look at the post above you. They producers probably wanted him in somehow, and just decided to put him in and make him Alessa's hatred. =/
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Fans wanted him in. The fans were answered. This is an alternate universe where James isn't even here and Alessa controls the Otherworld entirely, along with probably outright creating it instead of manipulating an already-present sacred power. You can't use the games to talk about the movie's plot and vice versa.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

^Well, that is such a stupid reason to put him into the movie. If they could have just followed the story and adapted all the games to seperate movies that would have been great :!:
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, it would've been lame as hell. I'm not paying to go see a story I've already actually put myself in the middle of via video-gaming. The movie was never supposed to be one of the games in the movie form. It's an alternate universe with the same "Silent Hill" ambience.

Besides, if it WAS just a straight game conversion, they'd have to cut things to make it fit into a movie timeframe, and there'd be even MORE bitching and moaning. Making a new story was really their best option, but people are too whiny to deal with it so they bitch and moan that it's not exactly like the games. The movie developers can't win with these kinds of fans, and it's not fair to them after putting in all of this hard work.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

^ that is true, but I liked the original movie as well. I personally would love to see each game made into a seperate movie though. Or possibly a miniseries.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Or maybe canon stories, but they aren't based on the games? Like...Stories that wouldn't have made it into the games, but have been referenced in them...Origional stories, I mean.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Mental pain is just as bad, if not worse, than physical pain. Alessa maybe thought "why am I the one getting burned, when all they do is torment me" so she maybe decided to do the same to them.
Who's the man? Me!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Are you seriously implying that insults like "lol WITCH" "Nose-picker!" "Thief" and "Loser" are greater than/equal to GETTING RAPED?

Boy, I sure don't want to meet you on a playground.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

AuraTwilight wrote:Are you seriously implying that insults like "lol WITCH" "Nose-picker!" "Thief" and "Loser" are greater than/equal to GETTING RAPED?

Boy, I sure don't want to meet you on a playground.
Actually, mental anguish csn be worse. The rape itself would be horrible, but the physical pain is something you get over. It is the mental pain from the rape that lasts and lasts. Being scared of being alone, of being vulnerable and of being in that position again.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

If a kid gets teased a lot and rejected by his or her fellow classmates, s/he begins to really, really fucking hate them. I sure did, because I was teased childishly in school from fourth grade (first year of school. Long story.) to...Well, now. And I still harbor some grudges against the little plebs. If I were Alessa, who's practically going crazy with rage, I would've done something to those kids, too. Let's face it: Alessa is a kid, not a super-human, and really wouldn't care if she hurt the kids that hurt her before.
I'm not saying she necessarily did, but she obviously has the motive to.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

^I agree. Kids from the 2nd grade to 6th grade areto blame for my eating ddisorder. I hate most of those people too.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually, mental anguish csn be worse. The rape itself would be horrible, but the physical pain is something you get over. It is the mental pain from the rape that lasts and lasts. Being scared of being alone, of being vulnerable and of being in that position again.
Right. The mental anguish of a rape would probably be so intense, that between that and the fire the teasings don't even register on the radar.
If a kid gets teased a lot and rejected by his or her fellow classmates, s/he begins to really, really fucking hate them. I sure did, because I was teased childishly in school from fourth grade (first year of school. Long story.) to...Well, now. And I still harbor some grudges against the little plebs. If I were Alessa, who's practically going crazy with rage, I would've done something to those kids, too. Let's face it: Alessa is a kid, not a super-human, and really wouldn't care if she hurt the kids that hurt her before.
I'm not saying she necessarily did, but she obviously has the motive to.
See above. I think the kids would be the last thing on her mind between the two huge extremes. Now, if either the rape, or the fire, didn't happen, she'd probably consider their punishment, but geeze.