country - home- loyalty- god

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

TheVIPeRoy
Just Passing Through

country - home- loyalty- god

Post by TheVIPeRoy »

I wanna know why are those pictures in the school and what it means? please im new here
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

They seem almost painfully self-explanatory to me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It means exactly what it looks like. The Picture of God is about God, for example.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

What pictures are you guys referring too again? :?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Read the first post over again. It says where they are.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes i know that, :evil: but that still doesn't tell much about what pictures hes referring too what specific scene?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

If you have it, pop in the DVD and pay attention to when Rose finds the flashlight. They're up near the ceiling.
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

I think he's trying to ask if there's any symbolism in those pictures just like the pictures in Silent Hill 2 with the picture of James and how he goes through a trial, if you will. I am not really sure what exactly the symbolism is here, but the smarter people here (St. Thomas, cough cough) could help you out!

I'll take somewhat of a guess though if there is indeed symbolism in the pictures...

God=Alessa
Loyalty=Mother finding daughter
Home=Not sure...
Country=I guess SH being a foreign place? I have no idea!

Why the school exactly? I'm not so sure, I guess the word itself is the reason: School (learning). They had their own religion so perhaps it meant something else to that religion, but I think the guesses I stated above are ones that would be symbolism for Rose and not necessarily the kids from that school.
Det Som Engang Var...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Alessa isn't God in the movie. That's Christabella, if anyone.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
HammeringInMyHead

Post by HammeringInMyHead »

Christabella is not god, why would she be?. I think that if there's a picture of God in school, means that they theached them religion, what kind of religion? The one in wich you call "witch" to everything you see.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

The whole film is about faith and blindness and justice and loyalty.

The pictures in the school make a link between God, Loyalty and Home. As if to say, if you have faith (loyalty) to God then you shall make it Home.

Rose doesn't have faith in a god though; her faith is blind. As is the Cult's faith, as is Dahlia's faith in the Cult doing the right thing for Alessa. They all made wrong choices whilst believing them to be right. They all judged others when it was not their prerogative to do so. They all exercised justice when they had no right. And they all suffered because of their sins.

Rose's punishment is held within those placards. Her pact with the Demon, which caused the massacre of the Cult, was her downfall. Without LOYALTY to a GOD she was denied a return to her HOME.

Hence why at the end of the film she does not manage to get back to the real world and her husband.

[Her husband manages to get home though, because Gucci chooses not to judge him. Notice that Gucci talks a lot about the different sorts of justice in the world (including man's justice, and the devil's justice). But Gucci is the only person in the film who does not blindly judge another person and lets Christopher go home.]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

It's clearly also a set a values instilled into children - kind of like the Pledge of Allegiance here across the pond or the ABCs. Or something.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Christabella is not god, why would she be?
Why would Alessa be?

Anyway, Christabella isn't literally the cult's God, but they put her on a saintly level almost like Jesus himself, so I could see the cult using her as the Face/Voice of God or something.
The whole film is about faith and blindness and justice and loyalty.

The pictures in the school make a link between God, Loyalty and Home. As if to say, if you have faith (loyalty) to God then you shall make it Home.

Rose doesn't have faith in a god though; her faith is blind. As is the Cult's faith, as is Dahlia's faith in the Cult doing the right thing for Alessa. They all made wrong choices whilst believing them to be right. They all judged others when it was not their prerogative to do so. They all exercised justice when they had no right. And they all suffered because of their sins.

Rose's punishment is held within those placards. Her pact with the Demon, which caused the massacre of the Cult, was her downfall. Without LOYALTY to a GOD she was denied a return to her HOME.

Hence why at the end of the film she does not manage to get back to the real world and her husband.

[Her husband manages to get home though, because Gucci chooses not to judge him. Notice that Gucci talks a lot about the different sorts of justice in the world (including man's justice, and the devil's justice). But Gucci is the only person in the film who does not blindly judge another person and lets Christopher go home.]
I agree wholeheartedly except with the Gucci part. Are you implying Gucci somehow controls who gets to go home safely?

Frankly, I think Christopher got to go home because he never really "left" it. And Gucci's just some guy.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

AuraTwilight wrote:I agree wholeheartedly except with the Gucci part. Are you implying Gucci somehow controls who gets to go home safely?

Frankly, I think Christopher got to go home because he never really "left" it. And Gucci's just some guy.
Well it's all relative.

Gucci could have arrested Christopher for breaking and entering / abusing the nun-lady and all that. He could have punished Christopher. He could have exercised his justice on Christopher.

BUT: he realises that Christopher wasn't a bad man and so decides not to arrest him.

The way that Gucci talks about the "different kinds of justice" which exist, and then the way straight after he says, "go home, Chris" makes me believe that it is a definite mirror/contrast with what happens to Rose.

I think that Gucci is the only wholly untainted character in the film who doesn't make bad decisions out of blind faith or personal need.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Um...Sharon would fit that category too. And Argueably Cybil.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

AuraTwilight wrote:Um...Sharon would fit that category too. And Argueably Cybil.
Well...Sharon isn't put in a position where she has to judge someone or not. If Sharon had an opportunity to judge another character then she would be up for the Most Untainted Character In Silent Hill Award 2007. But she doesn't. So she's not. To be honest, Sharon is barely a character and more of a pawn.

Cybil...I'm still undecided about how Cybil fits into my interpretation of the film. She does help Rose though, in her quest to find the Demon, but... Hmm. I'm undecided.

Anyway, it doesn't really change my point that Gucci is put in a position where he has to decide what he's going to do with Christopher, and decides to let him off. The idea of "justice" is so flagged up in his speech during that scene that I can't believe it's unimportant (or a coincidence).
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

But then technically you could argue that Gucci isn't innocent/neutral at all, since he's abusing his power to let off a man who's technically guilty of a number of offenses and getting in the way of a police investigation.
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

AuraTwilight wrote:But then technically you could argue that Gucci isn't innocent/neutral at all, since he's abusing his power to let off a man who's technically guilty of a number of offenses and getting in the way of a police investigation.
Well...think of it more symbolically than literally.

I know realistically Gucci is technically abusing his powers, but that's a petty complaint, like moaning that James Bond scratched some wallpaper whilst trying to save lives or something.

That wasn't my best analogy. Pretend it was a really convincing argument, say "aha, yes, that was a wholly convincing argument! I am convinced!", then bask in my obvious superiority...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It still doesn't really add up, since Gucci didn't have much to judge ANYway.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I'm not thinking that the pictures are there for reasons of symbolism. Those 4 things are obviously things that the locals consider important. Why are they in the school? To teach these concepts and begin instilling them in people while they are young, like Krist said:
Krist. wrote:It's clearly also a set a values instilled into children - kind of like the Pledge of Allegiance here across the pond or the ABCs.
If you want to look further into it and come up with other meanings for each one, ok (coming up with interesting, mostly plausible meanings is what people here do best). But I still believe that when the camera shows those pictures to you, you're simply supposed to be learning a few things about the townsfolk.