Some Foreshadowing, didn't realize it until now.

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

OrlandoEastwood
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Some Foreshadowing, didn't realize it until now.

Post by OrlandoEastwood »

The souls of the righteous will be condemned.

It's what the sign in the school said. I didn't realize that it was talking about Rose. Rose was doing the righteous thing by helping Aylessa get revenge and "satisfaction". So, by doing that, she helped the devil and was condemned for it. So that might mean that she is stuck in Silent Hill forever.
www.orlandoeastwoodfilms.tk // http://orlando-eastwood.tripod.com
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/OrlandoEastwoodFilms?feature=mhw4#p/a]Click here to view the Teaser Trailer & Behind the Scenes footage of [i]Trauma[/i]![/url]
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Re: Some Foreshadowing, didn't realize it until now.

Post by Dark Sky »

OrlandoEastwood wrote:The souls of the righteous will be condemned.

It's what the sign in the school said. I didn't realize that it was talking about Rose. Rose was doing the righteous thing by helping Aylessa get revenge and "satisfaction". So, by doing that, she helped the devil and was condemned for it. So that might mean that she is stuck in Silent Hill forever.
I think that's almost right. The only thing is that I'm not sure that what Rose did was necessarily "righteous"... I think the spin on it is that although Rose thought that helping the Demon was the "righteous" thing to do, she really just acted blindly in a bid to get back her daughter, without thinking about what devastating effects her actions will have (i.e., the gruesome massacre of the Cult).

Again this all ties in with my points made in this thread, the bottom line of which is "people shouldn't blindly judge others".

I think the first bit of foreshadowing in the film is right at the start when it shows Sharon and Rose asleep under the tree. And it's so idyllic and beautiful...Gans said in an interview that he tried to capture a vision of "Heaven", and I think this is it. (With Silent Hill being the judgmental "purgatory" and the Demon's nightmarish world being "Hell".)

The foreshadowing comes from the way Rose and Sharon are awoken by a huge truck blasting through their idyllic "Heaven". Notice the sign the truck roars past: a quote from Corinthians... "Do you not know that we shall judge angels?" If Rose is living in an idyllic "Heaven" like world, than she could be considered to be an "angel"...meaning that she is not free from judgment.

Hold that thought for a moment...

Also note that later in the film we see the orphans at Toluca County orphanage praying before they sleep. "If I should die before I wake / I pray the Lord my soul to take"...literally hoping for God to look after their souls. Rose and her husband are not religious (note that right at the start of the film whilst they embrace as a family in shock and confusion at Sharon's dangerous sleepwalking, they are oblivious to the distant cross in the background) and Rose utters no such prayer before she falls asleep under the tree. And so, when she is awoken, her soul not protected by God, she journeys off to Silent Hill (or "purgatory") to await her judgment.

It is a really clever film, I think, in terms of how much detail there is in the story if you really start looking closely at it. It's just a shame that the film doesn't work on a more immediate level.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I agree with everything stated here. Though I want to add that the "Righteous souls" quote was probably referring to the cult as well.

Bah, it probably applies to everyone. I love this movie so much.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

"The foes of the righteous shall be condemned."

Try that one.
silenthilljack
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthilljack »

JuriDawn wrote:"The foes of the righteous shall be condemned."

Try that one.
Im here for James.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Dude, you've got to resize your avatar; it's stretching the page. 100x100 pixels is the limit. And don't make posts if you don't have anything to contribute, that's pointless.

You might want to read the forum guidelines here.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

What JuriDawn said. I don't think the cult would be so quick to condemn righteous souls - since... they think they're righteous. Foes makes more sense.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.