Similarities to the movie Carrie

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

deez
Just Passing Through

Similarities to the movie Carrie

Post by deez »

I dont think this has ever been mentioned and this has no real signifigance but the relationship between Allesa and Daliah (in the movie not the game) reminds me alot of Carrie and her mother. Both carrie and alessa are born out of wedlock so both are considered to be outcast. Also both have powers(even though Carries are telekenetic and Allesas are much stronger. And of course both have the scenes where the mother wants to kill there daughters to make things right with God, even though daliah is hesitant she still does it. While these two situations arent identical they are silmilar. Just something I was thinking about

Im planning on editing this and actually making it worth reading. I have alot more details if any one even cares I just thought my first analysis is lackluster
Last edited by deez on 14 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

That's a good observation. I like it. Both were tormented at school. The only difference is that Carrie wished to prove something to herself and to her mother by accepting to go to the prom whereas Alessa only wanted time and happiness with her mother (SH1 game). In the movie, Dahlia shows her sorrow and helplessness towards Alessa.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Team Silent was influenced by numerous works and authors and they referenced quite a few of them in the games. Across from the antique shop in Central Silent Hill, you can find some movie posters for Carrie, I believe.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

JuriDawn wrote:Team Silent was influenced by numerous works and authors and they referenced quite a few of them in the games. Across from the antique shop in Central Silent Hill, you can find some movie posters for Carrie, I believe.
Can you get a screenshot of these?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Credit goes to F for the screenshot.

Compare.
deez
Just Passing Through

Post by deez »

Wow. Thats the first time I noticed that. Im now wanting to go back and play sh1 and try and find all refrences to older works.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I personally felt Silent Hill was more influenced by the original Ringu novels.

Wait, nevermind, I just gave myself the image of Alessa coming out and revealing she has a penis.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Hermaphrodites don't have both a penis and a vagina--their genitalia is simply malformed, somewhere in between the two. A hermaphroditic creature with both sex features only happens in other organisms, not humans.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

@Krist: Bullshit, i've heard of movies where there are people having both genitals though of course i don't watch that stuff myself. But i'm not sure why you brought up hermaphrodites?

Is someone implying hermaphrodi..tism? runs in the Gillespie family? That would be a very interesting explanation to the no father thing. Maybe Mary, the-mother-of-Jesus-Christ -Mary, could also have been..? :idea: I'm gonna email Dan Brown immediately.

@AuraTwilight: Haven't read the novels and i sort of hope what you said wasn't a spoiler but yeah, the movie, at least, certainly seems to have at least one crucial element in common with Silent Hill. That's the movie that would come to mind before Carrie, to me at least, but then maybe that's just becouse of playing the game and becouse The Ring is more recent. So good call for the OP i guess.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
deez
Just Passing Through

Post by deez »

What is the penis thing a reference too, Ive never read a ringu novel but the girl being a guy reminds me of that sleep away camp movie or what ever it was called
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Hermaphrodites don't have both a penis and a vagina--their genitalia is simply malformed, somewhere in between the two. A hermaphroditic creature with both sex features only happens in other organisms, not humans.
I know that, but the novels describe Sadako as being male-dominant, with fully developed testes and an underdeveloped penis.

And it's not like the movie outright comes and says "LOL ALLESSA GOTS A COOCH".
Bullshit, i've heard of movies where there are people having both genitals though of course i don't watch that stuff myself. But i'm not sure why you brought up hermaphrodites?
Right. There's a reason movies shouldn't be taken as legitimate scientific works.
Is someone implying hermaphrodi..tism? runs in the Gillespie family? That would be a very interesting explanation to the no father thing. Maybe Mary, the-mother-of-Jesus-Christ -Mary, could also have been..? Idea I'm gonna email Dan Brown immediately.
My god, you're daft. I was making a joke. If the Ringu was inspiration for Silent Hill, it leads to ME imagining a scenario where Alessa turned out to be a hermaphrodite like Sadako.
i sort of hope what you said wasn't a spoiler
It wasn't.
What is the penis thing a reference too, Ive never read a ringu novel but the girl being a guy reminds me of that sleep away camp movie or what ever it was called
Sadako, the Ring girl that comes out of the cursed tape, has a penis.
Last edited by AuraTwilight on 12 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Squarehead wrote:@Krist: Bullshit, i've heard of movies where there are people having both genitals though of course i don't watch that stuff myself. But i'm not sure why you brought up hermaphrodites?

Is someone implying hermaphrodi..tism? runs in the Gillespie family? That would be a very interesting explanation to the no father thing. Maybe Mary, the-mother-of-Jesus-Christ -Mary, could also have been..? :idea: I'm gonna email Dan Brown immediately.

@AuraTwilight: Haven't read the novels and i sort of hope what you said wasn't a spoiler but yeah, the movie, at least, certainly seems to have at least one crucial element in common with Silent Hill. That's the movie that would come to mind before Carrie, to me at least, but then maybe that's just becouse of playing the game and becouse The Ring is more recent. So good call for the OP i guess.
Well since you quoted AuraTwilight I'm going to call BULLSHIT on your inability to realize why I mentioned hermaphrodites. And I hope these "movies" of yours weren't, you know, fictional.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

hermaphrodite: 1 : an animal or plant having both male and female reproductive organs
2 : something that is a combination of diverse elements

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... aphrodites

There everyone get it?

Anyway this thread is about the similarities of the movie and C A R R I E.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Well, C A R R I E involved a total slaughter as the penultimate moment, likewise with SH. That was fun.
Berra87
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Berra87 »

I hadn't seen that Carrie poster before in SH. Cool. Just another thing that proves the deep of Silent Hill. :D
/ Birger, Dark Fantasy Author and former Silent Hill Fan Movie-Director (Was known as "Berra" back in the day)

Check out Birger DarkFantasy Tales on YouTube
for Dark Fantasy Book related videos and Stories.

deez
Just Passing Through

Post by deez »

Yeah both climaxes have the slaughter scene which shows how powerful both there angers and hate are, when built up, a good lesson... dont fuck with the "weird" girl with no father :D
RestlessxDreams3
Just Passing Through

Post by RestlessxDreams3 »

deez wrote:Yeah both climaxes have the slaughter scene which shows how powerful both there angers and hate are, when built up, a good lesson... dont fuck with the "weird" girl with no father :D
Hahaha exactly. XD