Silent Hill Movie without Christopher and REAL World!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Silent Hill Movie without Christopher and REAL World!

Post by TerryRed »

I tried a little experiment.... I always wondered what Silent Hill - The Movie would be like without Christopher or the Real World!

I edited my own version. I took out anything to do with the real world (Chris, Gucci,Orphonage,etc). You only see the real World at the beginning up to the car crash. After that I took out EVERY scene of the REAL WORLD no matter how brief. I still kept everything in order though. The only Real World thing you see after that is Chris at the very end lying on the couch....

I wanted to see the movie the same way we see the games. All you see is Foggy and Dark (Otherworld) Silent Hill. No real Silent Hill at all! It worked suprisingly well. Most of the scenes came together seamlessly, while others were only a little awkward.

It also reduces the movie's length by 15 mins!!!

I would love to have someone who hasn't seen the movie watch this version... It would be very interesting...

I think Gans wanted it to be more like this, but those damn Studio execs....

What's your opinions on what this version of the movie would be like???
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
TleilaxuEyes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TleilaxuEyes »

Chris was an interesting character, but his plot thread went pretty much nowhere. I think that your edited version of the movie actually sounds a little better than the official version, but not by a whole lot. Nice idea!
I'm the kind of kid that can't let anything go
But you wouldn't know a good thing if it came up
And slit your throat.
-"My Heart is the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy

Thanks for the avatar, ST3wolf!
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Call me crazy but I actually liked it as-was.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I dunno, Christopher's investigations did add in plot elements, and without his presence, people wouldn't of gotten that Silent Hill was another dimension.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Nanjiz
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Nanjiz »

AuraTwilight wrote:I dunno, Christopher's investigations did add in plot elements, and without his presence, people wouldn't of gotten that Silent Hill was another dimension.
i think the same way, even though it would be cool without the real world scenes
Power and chaos!
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

I know I could have done without Chris through the movie. The whole time watching the outside world scenes seemed boring to me and made me just wait for the Silent Hill town scenes to begin. Even the Alessa scene where Gucci carries her out would be fine without all his police work scenes.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I'd definatly prefer the non Chris version. The whole thing was just a completely pointless last minute add-on. That whole bit went nowhere.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Moosefrenzy

Post by Moosefrenzy »

I have to disagree on the last minute add-on statement. I believe I read an article where Gans or Avery stated that the movie could not follow the game's style of only following Rose's path for it would lose the audience's interest.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

The reality of it was that the studio execs werent happy with the original script having no men (the no real world SH version). They wanted there to be male actors in the move. So Chris and Gucci were thrown in to appease them.

I can tell they weren't meant to be in there...especially after watching my edited version. I do agree that some people might have had a hard time understanding the dimensional aspect of Silent Hill without the back and forth scenes (Chris and Rose at the school).

I personally feel that by only showing Chris in the real world at the end, you keep some mystery, but make it CLEAR that they exist on two different dimensions with that end scene. It really does work well.

You also get rid of the idea where Rose's Jeep is in the real world and Foggy SH (no Gucci talking about an empty vehicle). Remember we dont see the Jeep in both dimensions at the end of the movie... which always bugged me. Should her Jeep be in front of Chris's house when he looks out the door based on what we saw earlier?

I will also say that not having the Darkness and Silent Hill Foggy scenes broken up actually made for a better paced movie. Everytime, we got a little scared (the Otherworld school), it would then break to real world which would kill the tension. This makes it much better....

Don't get me wrong i loved the movie despite its flaws....
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

I really think it's a shame that Avary decided that the town should be dead and half destroyed...

I much prefer the idea that Silent Hill is a busy little resort town with a mysterious past, and a hidden alternate dimension some people find themselves in.

If they'd gone with that in the film I think the Christopher storyline could've been a lot more interesting... We could've seen the "normal" Silent Hill as a real town, and Chris could've met various residents of it, maybe even some characters who are in both dimensions, etc.

I guess I just prefer the idea of a normal town being haunted over a burnt out unlived in town being haunted.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

While Chris's scenes may not be important to the story, i don't think that they're the ones fatal to the movie. They have the least amount of corny lines in them.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
HammeringInMyHead

Post by HammeringInMyHead »

I read somewhere that Christopher was actually not in the original plot of the movie, they just added him because, at a certain point, they realized there were no males in any scene of the script. Honestly, I think they should have focused more on the inside of the town, rather than the outside, tough I can't imagine how the end would've been, if they'd took Christopher out.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

In my opinion it doesnt matter how many scenes you take out this movie, the end will always fuck it up. I just didnt think the ending fit a silent hill movie. I dont maybe it should have been about god and not witches. Just my opinion I dont think Christopher took much away from the movie, and I dont think he added much[exept for a side story]
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I just didnt think the ending fit a silent hill movie.
How? It fit perfectly.
I dont maybe it should have been about god and not witches.
How were they gonna fit a story about God in an 127 minute movie? It would've taken way too much time to explain, and frankly, I didn't pay to see a game i've already played in movie form. Atleast with the Witch thing there's a new storyline.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
AdjectiveRyan

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

l agree that the end of the movie fits, but it's just not a good ending. rose helped alessa with her revenge yet still she shat on rose at the end, keeping her in teh sh "purgatory" instead of letting her straight up leave teh shit. l suppose my argument may stem from my ignorance in not understanding why rose couldn't leave. was it because of the pact with alessa? if that was so, how come in the game (it was supposed to be based off the first one, right?) harry and heather get to go back to the real world?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

l agree that the end of the movie fits, but it's just not a good ending. rose helped alessa with her revenge yet still she shat on rose at the end, keeping her in teh sh "purgatory" instead of letting her straight up leave teh shit. l suppose my argument may stem from my ignorance in not understanding why rose couldn't leave. was it because of the pact with alessa? if that was so, how come in the game (it was supposed to be based off the first one, right?) harry and heather get to go back to the real world?
I suppose it's up to viewer interpretation. It's probably a Biblical metaphor, since they pop up alot in the movie, such as Deals with the Devil never go down right, or be careful what you wish for, or some such thing.

My theory is that all three Alessa's merged, and she chose Rose to be her new mommy, a Mommy who would literally go through hell for her instead of giving her up when she's under pressure. Then, with her new Mommy, she went "Home" but remained in Otherworld where no one could ever try and hurt them ever again. I mean, Alessa's probably paranoid as hell now, and she seems to be a lot safer and happier in a world under her control.
AdjectiveRyan

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

my thought was that sharon had combined with the "reaper" when they looked in each other's eyes. l would think that the original alessa had gone with the people she killed the church. the aging that occured to dahlia showed she was still alive while it seemed that the other's hadn't aged a day. so maybe what happened to dahlia happened to rose. stuck in otherworld because of what she had witnessed. on the subject of what this thread entails, l think the movie would have been better without chris and daddy de silva stuff. l'd love to watch the movie without that garbaige.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

How were they gonna fit a story about God in an 127 minute movie? It would've taken way too much time to explain, and frankly, I didn't pay to see a game i've already played in movie form. Atleast with the Witch thing there's a new storyline.
well who goes to see a movie based on there favorite video game and its not even about the game. I mean come on that was basicly a rip off of the game. It would have been a lot cooler if we would of been able to see incubus on the big screen. as opposed to that retarded burnt allesa on the bed with the barbwire. And it wouldnt have been that hard to explain the idea of a god. they did it in the game with little explanation.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

well who goes to see a movie based on there favorite video game and its not even about the game.
It's called an ADAPTATION. No one wants to see the same goddamned story. There's Alessa, a cult, Pyramid Head, monsters, dimensional shifts, Cybil, Lisa, and the town of Silent Hill. What more do you want?
I mean come on that was basicly a rip off of the game.
Make up your damn mind. Is it "Not even about the game" or a "Rip off of the game"?
It would have been a lot cooler if we would of been able to see incubus on the big screen.
I disagree. Adult Alessa was sufficient. My 18 year old brother wet himself when she ripped Christabella in half.
as opposed to that retarded burnt allesa on the bed with the barbwire.
It was a homage to the "Mary" boss from SH2.
And it wouldnt have been that hard to explain the idea of a god. they did it in the game with little explanation.
Yea, and people thought it was a demon named Samael for 2+ years. No thanks.

There's simply not enough time to explain that this cult wants to bring about Paradise by killing everyone, explaining how they're justified, then explaining how burning a psychic little girl will impregnate her with God (Which isn't the Christian God, and would ruin all the Bible metaphors in the movie), and THEN explain that the God takes on the form the conjurer perceives.

Even if they could, I'd have been bored. I already played SH1. Give me something NEW.
Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

The Chris/Rose scene where she runs past him as he smells her perfume accomplished visually what otherwise would have had to be spoon-fed to the audience: "Why, look here. We appear to be in two different planes of existence! This is Very Significant, so try to pay attention."

I don't know. I think he kind of added a sense of being anchored in the waking world to a film that might have led clueless audiences everywhere astray. You can only pour so much verbal plot depth down people's throats before they gag on it and decide the film isn't worth their time or it's "arty".