Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 23 Sep 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 17 Mar 2007
Notes left: 88
Last seen at: Room 106 jacks inn
But it's Shawn Bean, everyone loves shawn bean!

_________________
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ilikewaxingowls
^ some great silent hil videos
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill
^ lol ^
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=oddworth&p=r
^^^ my own silent hill videos ^^^


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 24 Jan 2008
Notes left: 73
Last seen at: Netherlands (I'm Irish though)
I think your version seems pretty interesting! Though I think the real world scenes, do help to make the ending that bit more chilling, when Rose and Sharon are home, but in the SH version- empty and grey. I always though the orphanage scene was a pretty good scene, it gets you asking more about the connection between Sharon and Alessa- and it gives a good contrast to the SH world.

For example, the locker area- when Rose is here, is it so dark and frightening, but then it shows her husband there in daylight, you realise that Rose is in another dimension so to speak, and it makes the SH world more creepy and dramatic when you return to Rose' story.

I would watch the edited version, yes, but I think some of the scenes with Chris were pretty useful to the story, in their own way.

_________________
Image

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
I think the movie would've sucked without Sean Bean and the real world, especially the ending. The ending still makes me feel really empty inside :?
....especially when Lost Carol kicks in. :(


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
I watched it and skipped all the Sean Bean parts and I thought it was much better. Thing with Silent Hill is that you're meant to feel trapped and that your fighting to escape. But that is totally lost in the film cause it keeps cutting to Sean Bean in the real world. It also makes the film unessesarily too long. Take that out and it's a much more satisfying length.


Hope they keep in all in one place next time.

_________________
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
I agree that Chris was a completely unnecessary addition to the movie. It should have just been Rose throughout the film, with the exception of the Alessa flashback and the scene where Sharon is found by Christabella. His presence did help to make the ending more eerie and sad, though. I try to look at the ending as bittersweet: Rose and Chris are both wealthy people with charmed lives and now they're being forced to live not-so-charmed lives. Alessa has suffered in excruciating agony (both mental and physical) for 39 years (the mental for 39 years, teh physical for 30 years) and she now has a brand new mommy and a brand new body with no pain. For once, this little girl is happy. I look at it that way and it makes the ending better :D


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 May 2008
Notes left: 113
TleilaxuEyes wrote:
Chris was an interesting character, but his plot thread went pretty much nowhere. I think that your edited version of the movie actually sounds a little better than the official version, but not by a whole lot. Nice idea!

I think Chris's involvement helped explain a few things, and his smelling his wife's perfume within the same vicinity of the Dark "Otherworld" shows how much that "Otherworld" ties to our own. Also, I think Chris' role in the movie was to set-up the sequel. Their weird, hard to explain ending would lead us to think that if the movies sold well enough and if the critics gave it good reviews, which they - unfortunately - didn't do, then Chris and Avary would go on to producing the second installment with Sean Bean playing the role of Chris again.

Otherwise, they probably wouldn't have used Chris and the real world scenes at all, or at least to some what of a minimal, to explain the immediate thought following the ending, "why didn't he go looking for them?" Because, I think the audience would judge him for this if they didn't think he tried this already.

daughter.
JRamirez35 wrote:
I agree that Chris was a completely unnecessary addition to the movie. It should have just been Rose throughout the film, with the exception of the Alessa flashback and the scene where Sharon is found by Christabella. His presence did help to make the ending more eerie and sad, though. I try to look at the ending as bittersweet: Rose and Chris are both wealthy people with charmed lives and now they're being forced to live not-so-charmed lives. Alessa has suffered in excruciating agony (both mental and physical) for 39 years (the mental for 39 years, teh physical for 30 years) and she now has a brand new mommy and a brand new body with no pain. For once, this little girl is happy. I look at it that way and it makes the ending better :D

Yes, but that would be a terrible ending. It wouldn't make any sense that this little girl is happy. You're talking about a demon-child, here. It's likely she's smiling at the audience because she's hinting something devious that's already in audience's mind.

It's the movie's purpose to NOT sympathize with the Dark Alessa in any way. Or, why else would they hint her being the Devil?

I think the movie's theme is about revenge and the negative aspects associated with it. Sure, those people did something incredibly fucked up to Alessa, but allowing Alessa gain her revenge was an act of evil in itself. The Dark Otherworld manifestations are the physical embodiments of the evil of hate.

Because, Rose was so worried about saving her daughter, even to the point of carrying out an act of evil, she's not only lost to the real world but she's lost the very one she sought out to save throughout the whole movie. It's almost certain that Rose has lost herself, because it seems that Rose has no clue what's going on. If she knew she was stuck in the Otherworld, she'd go mad. There's no way "Alessa" would allow this to happen to her mother if she loved her. But, she doesn't love her mother because she doesn't love anything, that's the point. She's the personification of hate.

It's clear that that ending isn't meant to be anything but bad. To think otherwise is laughing rational thought in the face.

AuraTwilight wrote:

Yea, and people thought it was a demon named Samael for 2+ years. No thanks.

There's simply not enough time to explain that this cult wants to bring about Paradise by killing everyone, explaining how they're justified, then explaining how burning a psychic little girl will impregnate her with God (Which isn't the Christian God, and would ruin all the Bible metaphors in the movie), and THEN explain that the God takes on the form the conjurer perceives.

Even if they could, I'd have been bored. I already played SH1. Give me something NEW.


True, I agree with your input. No one wants to have an SH1 retelling into a movie. It'd be so damn annoying, and wouldn't fit. But, I've put up with the fanatics' bitching about the movie, which leads me to think that most SH fans are just plain dumb.

The world of movie fiction doesn't work anything like game fiction. It just doesn't, very few popular games even rely on plot and least someone was inspired by the Silent Hill well-developed plotline to make into a movie, meant to attract non-gamers.

This is one of the FEW game-to-movie adaptations that doesn't suck. All others are meant to sell tickets to retards who think pro-wrestling is real. Majority of the filming industry sees gamers as idiots, and it's reflected in the movies they give us. Unfortunately, many Silent Hill fans only seem to reinforce that stereotype of an unsophisticated, immature audience.


The thing I really like about the movie is it got people who never played the game, many of whom NEVER play video games unless it's at a friend's house and they don't have anything else to do, interested in playing the game. My younger brother, who's the opposite of me, and never really plays games was intersted in trying out my Silent Hill 3 game after having watched the movie. He didn't finish playing (not really his thing) but he did find the game interesting.

I don't have a copy of SH1, so I couldn't let him play that instead, but it'd be too confusing for him if he tried that one instead. Also, the first installment makes the mistake of using a male protoganist play the effeminite role of Harry Mason. Christopher Gans is a well established movie director, so it's likely he understands a thing or two about the mechanics of movies. Gans made the right choice of using a female character to play Rose's role, which I'm very thankful he did.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
Quote:
Yes, but that would be a terrible ending. It wouldn't make any sense that this little girl is happy. You're talking about a demon-child, here. It's likely she's smiling at the audience because she's hinting something devious that's already in audience's mind.

Except that the actress and director and writer all disagree with you. Dark Alessa and Sharon have recombined and Alessa has been reborn. Yes, she has evil within her (Dark Alessa), but she also has good within her (Sharon). She put Rose through all those tests so Rose could prove her metal as her new mom. Now that Alessa has everything she wants, she's finally happy.

Quote:
It's the movie's purpose to NOT sympathize with the Dark Alessa in any way. Or, why else would they hint her being the Devil?

Because it's symbolic. Sharon represents God because she is the goodness of Alessa's soul; and Dark Alessa represents the devil because she is the darkness of Alessa's soul. If you don't sympathize with Dark Alessa; then you don't sympathize with Alessa- because Dark Alessa is Alessa.

Quote:
I think the movie's theme is about revenge and the negative aspects associated with it. Sure, those people did something incredibly fucked up to Alessa, but allowing Alessa gain her revenge was an act of evil in itself. The Dark Otherworld manifestations are the physical embodiments of the evil of hate.

Exactly. After Alessa split her soul; she created this terrible place so infected by her hate that it became hell itself. Was she right in taking her revenge? Hell no. But she had allowed herself to create an entity that was entirely split off from the goodness of her soul- a creature that was pure evil within itself. And a creature of pure evil is not going to stop until it gets what it wants.

Quote:
Because, Rose was so worried about saving her daughter, even to the point of carrying out an act of evil, she's not only lost to the real world but she's lost the very one she sought out to save throughout the whole movie. It's almost certain that Rose has lost herself, because it seems that Rose has no clue what's going on. If she knew she was stuck in the Otherworld, she'd go mad. There's no way "Alessa" would allow this to happen to her mother if she loved her. But, she doesn't love her mother because she doesn't love anything, that's the point. She's the personification of hate.

There's no way Alessa would return to a world where people get away with ostracizing, raping, and burning alive a small child. This is Alessa's world; and she likes it here. What use could she possibly have for our world? Alessa is now good and bad recombined into one; but her dark side seems to be dominant (makes a hell of a lot of sense considering where she's been living the past 30 years and the unimaginable pain she's been suffering in thanks to other people). In SH0, they make a reference to that; claiming that the dark side will almost always be dominant in the split personality of a child. Alessa does love Rose, but she's ceritifiably insane (can you blame her?) and she's also being extremely selfish. But I doubt she cares. All she really cares about anymore is herself.

Quote:
It's clear that that ending isn't meant to be anything but bad. To think otherwise is laughing rational thought in the face.

Only to people who didn't understand the movie. As stated before, the director, actress, and writer have all made statements referring to Dark Alessa as solely the bad part of Alessa.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Yes, but that would be a terrible ending. It wouldn't make any sense that this little girl is happy. You're talking about a demon-child, here. It's likely she's smiling at the audience because she's hinting something devious that's already in audience's mind.


She's happy. She's with her ideal mother, she served "justice". How is she not happy if she's frickin' smiling?

Quote:
It's the movie's purpose to NOT sympathize with the Dark Alessa in any way. Or, why else would they hint her being the Devil?


Wrong. The movie is trying to get you against the cult, the only ones who called her a Devil, and given that they BURNED A LITTLE GIRL AND LET A JANITOR RAPE HER! I wouldn't trust any "Devil" claims from them. Besides, even if she was the Devil, the movie clearly pushes you to root for the cult's "bad guy", just like Rose ended up doing.

Quote:
Because, Rose was so worried about saving her daughter, even to the point of carrying out an act of evil, she's not only lost to the real world but she's lost the very one she sought out to save throughout the whole movie. It's almost certain that Rose has lost herself, because it seems that Rose has no clue what's going on. If she knew she was stuck in the Otherworld, she'd go mad. There's no way "Alessa" would allow this to happen to her mother if she loved her. But, she doesn't love her mother because she doesn't love anything, that's the point. She's the personification of hate.


No, I think Rose just has shellshock. Fairly common for traumatized individuals. And Alessa clearly does love Rose. She's just not gonna go back to reality to her because the real world SUCKS ASS!

Put yourself in your shoes. Where would you live with your mommy? A world that's 100% bad as far as you know, where you might get torn from your mommy, or a world you created and control, where you can have, basically, whatever you wish?

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 May 2008
Notes left: 113
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but that would be a terrible ending. It wouldn't make any sense that this little girl is happy. You're talking about a demon-child, here. It's likely she's smiling at the audience because she's hinting something devious that's already in audience's mind.


She's happy. She's with her ideal mother, she served "justice". How is she not happy if she's frickin' smiling?


"Happy" doesn't equate to "good". A terrible ending is one where the author was lazy and didn't tie up certain topics. A good ending could still be tragic, but still good in that the author did a good job in delivering it.
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
It's the movie's purpose to NOT sympathize with the Dark Alessa in any way. Or, why else would they hint her being the Devil?


Wrong. The movie is trying to get you against the cult, the only ones who called her a Devil, and given that they BURNED A LITTLE GIRL AND LET A JANITOR RAPE HER! I wouldn't trust any "Devil" claims from them. Besides, even if she was the Devil, the movie clearly pushes you to root for the cult's "bad guy", just like Rose ended up doing.

I don't think the movie pushes you to root for anybody, is what I'm getting at. It's either gray or dark, there's nothing good once you get to a certain point.

AuraTwilight wrote:

Quote:
Because, Rose was so worried about saving her daughter, even to the point of carrying out an act of evil, she's not only lost to the real world but she's lost the very one she sought out to save throughout the whole movie. It's almost certain that Rose has lost herself, because it seems that Rose has no clue what's going on. If she knew she was stuck in the Otherworld, she'd go mad. There's no way "Alessa" would allow this to happen to her mother if she loved her. But, she doesn't love her mother because she doesn't love anything, that's the point. She's the personification of hate.


No, I think Rose just has shellshock. Fairly common for traumatized individuals. And Alessa clearly does love Rose. She's just not gonna go back to reality to her because the real world SUCKS ASS!

Put yourself in your shoes. Where would you live with your mommy? A world that's 100% bad as far as you know, where you might get torn from your mommy, or a world you created and control, where you can have, basically, whatever you wish?


Your version of love works for Charles Manson or Adolf Hitler, but it's not how prosocial people view "love". Only someone so viciously selfish would keep their mother away from a husband whom she loves, and family who also love her, and keep her for themselves.

If in her shoes, I'd be an adult and go back to the real world because that would be what my mom wanted. Unless, I controlled her mind with my demonic powers, which is another case of evil. Only people with anti-social personality disorder (personality of the serial rapist and murderer) would find controlling a human being acceptable.

But, this breaks the rules of objective morality, controlling people is evil because it denies the fact that they're self-determinant beings. By only caring about her own happiness, Alessa is reinforcing the fact that she's a being of pure evil.


Last edited by michinobu_zoned on 16 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
*applauds aura* You are truly a spectacular individual! I knew I was in love with you the moment I saw you mention Anna was born in the Otherworld in one of your posts. Will you marry me? lol :lol:


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
I thought that Christopher played a major role. He helped the audience in whom have never experienced Silent Hill understand the difference between our world and the otherworld

_________________
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I agree with Emptimass, Chris was there for exposition.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 3526
Last seen at: Waco, Texas
Too much exposition is a bad thing.

_________________
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It wasn't too much, though. If it wasn't for Chris, we wouldn't know that Rose and company ACTUALLY VANISHED from the real world, among other things.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
Quote:
"Happy" doesn't equate to "good". A terrible ending is one where the author was lazy and didn't tie up certain topics. A good ending could still be tragic, but still good in that the author did a good job in delivering it.

But it's not a totally happy ending. Rose is lost, Chris is alone, and Alessa and only Alessa is happy. That's the whole point: Alessa was the only one unhappy all those years she was growing up; and now she's the only one who IS happy.
Quote:
I don't think the movie pushes you to root for anybody, is what I'm getting at. It's either gray or dark, there's nothing good once you get to a certain point.

And that's where you missed the point of the film completely. You ARE meant to root for Alessa, you ARE meant to root for Rose. Yes, you are asked to pick between two evils, but the movie makes it very clear which evil came first and what that evil wrought.
Quote:
Your version of love works for Charles Manson or Adolf Hitler, but it's not how prosocial people view "love". Only someone so viciously selfish would keep their mother away from a husband whom she loves, and family who also love her, and keep her for themselves.

If you didn't understand that Alessa is insane at this point, then you missed a hell of alot of the movie. It's made CLEAR that she is insane, from her growing hatred (if you actually try to deny that she wilted the flowers or burned the nurse, I will personally beat you with my shoe) to the evil smile she gets when Sharon is mentioned as being her goodness to the 'haha' look she wears in the church. Let me tell you, SANE people don't want to kill everybody who ever hurt them. I.e., Alessa is insane. She is also psychotic, paranoid, and most certainly homicidal. All this is presented in the movie.

Quote:
If in her shoes, I'd be an adult and go back to the real world because that would be what my mom wanted. Unless, I controlled her mind with my demonic powers, which is another case of evil. Only people with anti-social personality disorder (personality of the serial rapist and murderer) would find controlling a human being acceptable.

You have obviously never raised a child. Children are selfish and mean by their very nature. They are also cruel unlike any other. Gans mentions the monsters having a candid sense of cruelty that only a child can have. If children acted like you think Alessa should act, we'd have a world where there was no such thing as having to punish your child. Which is nonsense.
You've also destroyed your own theory in the third sentence. You claim this is a sign of Alessa being a murderer, um... duh! Did you WATCH the exposition and final scenes? Clearly she is a homicidal maniac! That's the whole point: the evil of religious fanaticism made her into a twisted, murderous, selfish soul. She doesn't care that she's committing the exact same evil on to them; all she knows is that she hurts and she wants them to pay. Alessa is, undoubtedly, mostly evil at this point; but she is not all evil. In her mind, what she is doing is acceptable. Blame it on her past events, I guess. But I think it makes sense that it's her turn to be selfish. It also would make the most sense to her that she would want to stay in a world where noone could hurt her. She may even believe that Rose wants to stay there, too- as Rose fought so hard for Sharon. And look at the man she left in the outside world. Did he even ONCE mention Sharon when he was searching the town? No! Why would Alessa want a dad who didn't give a rat's ass about her? The only reason Chris even followed the Alessa lead was to get to Rose. The movie makes it very clear that he never cared for Sharon, and did not love her.
Quote:
But, this breaks the rules of objective morality, controlling people is evil because it denies the fact that they're self-determinant beings. By only caring about her own happiness, Alessa is reinforcing the fact that she's a being of pure evil.

No, she's reinforcing the well-known fact that children are selfish beings and the clearly shown fact that she is insane and murderous. If she was a being of pure evil, she would not allow Rose to leave the town at all. She would have let Rose die in the church, without healing her wounds AND then saving her from Lurch with a stick. If she was pure evil, would she hold her new mommy's hand? If she was pure evil, would she look at her new mommy with love in her eyes? Nope.
A really good example of Alessa's goodness (Sharon) shining through:
Image


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Sep 2006
Notes left: 629
Last seen at: Seattle, WA
I was thinking about this subject today, and I think all the Chris scenes really messed up my vision of a potential sequel. I think it would have been more beneficial to have Chris not learn of where Rose took off too until the very end of the movie. Would have been a great set up for SH2 imo. I found the Chris storyline to mess with the flow of the movie. Take those 15 minutes and redo the part after the Nurses.

Between already using the major enemies of SH2 and the Chris scenes... I'm just not sure where the next movie will be going. I don't see a literal interpretation of the 2nd game, unless they have a whole new cast which I don't see coming out of Hollywood. The 3rd game is out. So it's either an adaptation of Origins, Homecoming, The Room, or (most likely) an original story set as a direct sequel. Which will probably be produced and filmed by people who don't respect the source material. aka, IT WILL PROBABLY SUCK


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
Why would the third game be out? Yes, Alessa is aware of who she is; but wouldn't it make sense to have Alessa fighting off the "Dark Alessa" part of her soul- as Heather does with the Memory of Alessa? It wouldn't be exactly the same, but it could be similar. And Jodelle is so talented- I see no issue with her pulling it off.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Need moar Jodelle.

They can't do any straight adaption of 2 or 3, but then they didn't do a straight adaption of 1 either, so no problem.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
I honestly feel that the movie series will go away from the original idea of silent hill a little, which isn't a bad thing. I think it will end up being kind of like the Ring remake. The first one was kind of faithful to the originals, but then the second one went an entirely different, yet acceptable direction.

_________________
Image
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
To be fair, the original Ringu movies deviated heavily from the novels. Ironically, the American Ring series is closer to the source material.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: