Silent Hill sequel sans Gans & Avary?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

AlmostHam
Just Passing Through

Post by AlmostHam »

What ever just get that communist Fuck away from the series. He fucked everything up and some people on here are to caught up in the video game series to admit it. The only thing i asked for is that the best game dosn't get raped by hollywood productions this time.
Cioran
Just Passing Through

Post by Cioran »

The Adversary wrote:Tim Burton wouldn't do a very good Silent Hill film: It'd be cartoonish and silly, like everything else he's made.

I think Burton could pull it off as long as he knew what he was getting himself into, but I do agree to some extent. I prefer to say he has a "comic book" style than cartoonish. I favor David Lynch more so than Burton since his way of operating is a lot more...cerebral. David Cronenberg in my mind would be second choice if he went on a kick similar to that of Naked Lunch--that film is a bit Silent Hillesque in itself. Terry Gilliam could do it too, but after seeing Brother's Grimm I wanted to sniff glue and forget about the world. There's the Coen brothers, but that's going out on a limb.

As for the loss of Gans/Avary, I mind it a teensy bit that Gans is going, but Avary leaving makes me seriously happy in the pants.

Hopefully whoever takes it up will be just as excited and, most importantly, be given enough artistic latitude to avoid pandering to an audience that requires a massive exposition and some terribly direct lines ("I'm Alessa's dark self" lululul) as seen in the film. That flashback scene is much more effective with the sound muted by the way.

And dear lord oh mighty it would be heresy to see Michael Bay or George Lucas touch this project. The day that happens volcanoes will spew out menstrual fluid, so I say no to this. Bay is a blockbuster schmuck concerned with, much like diarrhea, making things bigger, badder, and more explosive than ever before. And Lucas has such a "hexagonal" way of writing it's almost grating on the ears to hear it spoken. I think Stanley Kubrick's corpse (may he rest in peace) could hammer out a better final product than those two on both writing and direction.
If much in the world were mystery the limits of that world were not, for it was without measure or bound and there were contained within it creatures more horrible yet and men of other colors and beings which no man has looked upon and yet not alien none of it more than were their own hearts alien in them, whatever wilderness contained there and whatever beasts.
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

Well, a direct adaptation probably wouldn't have worked any better. They would have run into similar problems and obviously they would have attempted to solve those problems with a 20 minute monologue about what's going on.

I'm sorry but I really think that the only way to create a successful silent hill film is to take the premise of the town and weave in an original story-line that adheres to the medium of film rather than the game. This is where video games films suffer - but any CRITIC will tell you that the most successful adaptation is the very first resident evil - and that has everything to do with the fact that it's not an adaptation at all (the similar success of the first tomb raider was also not a direct adaptation) The second RE threw in a lot of game elements and was complete shit.

It's not hard to please fans - especially those of us that are in the younger demographic.

Now that I think about it, when my younger brother called me and said I had to see Silent Hill, because it was badass...I should have known it was going to be horrible. I mean...he said the same thing about Ghost Rider. Ugh.

Hey - if George Lucas does the movie maybe he can make one of the monsters Howard the Duck! Hell yes! Oh and maybe Nsync could reunite and make a cameo for his daughters.

AlmostHam wrote:What ever just get that communist Fuck away from the series. He fucked everything up and some people on here are to caught up in the video game series to admit it. The only thing i asked for is that the best game dosn't get raped by hollywood productions this time.
By the way, thank you for this post. I feel less alone, now.

But if it truly is an adaptation of the 3rd game - I can pretty much promise you it will suck. Mostly because now it pretty much has to use the mythology of the first movie if it's going to be a direct sequel.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

AlmostHam wrote:What ever just get that communist Fuck away from the series. He fucked everything up and some people on here are to caught up in the video game series to admit it. The only thing i asked for is that the best game dosn't get raped by hollywood productions this time.
Do you even know what a Communist means?

Smokey: STOP DOUBLE POSTING. READ OUR GODDAMN RULES. I've asked you to do this COUNTLESS times and edited your posts myself. HOW HARD IS THIS CONCEPT?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I guess no one caught that I was quoting George Lucas' script for "Star Wars, Episode II" in my last.

Anakin tells the Princess "I wish I could wish it all away," which is, you know writing at its finest. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

We all try to block that film out of our minds, Tom.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Krist. wrote: Smokey: STOP DOUBLE POSTING. READ OUR GODDAMN RULES. I've asked you to do this COUNTLESS times and edited your posts myself. HOW HARD IS THIS CONCEPT?
Would be easier for everyone if the forum would just automatically edit the second post into the end of the first one.
I guess no one caught that I was quoting George Lucas' script for "Star Wars, Episode II" in my last.

Anakin tells the Princess "I wish I could wish it all away," which is, you know writing at its finest. . . .
Sorry, i'm afraid no one else here has the entire script memorised. :P
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

>Would be easier for everyone if the forum would just automatically edit the second post into the end of the first one

I did. For whatever small bit that's worth. Hence the stop double posting put into the edit'd posts...

I don't think anyone wants to have that shitty script memorized, tbqh.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Remembering one memorably awful line is different from memorizing an entire script. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Right, i was just kidding. But there are worse lines in that movie i'm sure.
I did. For whatever small bit that's worth. Hence the stop double posting put into the edit'd posts...
I mean that you guys should switch to forum software that automatically edits the second consecutive post made with the same username into the first post. Thus making double posting impossible. Then you wouldn't have to edit them manually. But maybe this is the wrong section to bring out such ideas... It's just that there's so much bitching about double posting, when the whole problem could be avoided.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I don't know how I feel about this news. Apparently, a lot of people didn't like the movie, but hell if I know why. I went into that movie fully expecting it to suck. I went in there waiting to rip it to shreds and curse the names of all involved for murdering my beloved Silent Hill. I went into that movie ready for blood. I came out of that movie saying "Hell yeah, that was awesome!" Then I saw it again the next weekend. I may well have seen it a third time with my mother and sister. But at no time will there be a movie that everyone likes.
Smokey, I know you hate the movie. I know. *pats on shoulder* Let go of your hate, man, let it go. Be the eternal optimist like me and realize it could have been worse. It could have been a musical. It could have starred Paris Hilton. They could have discarded the original game music and put in some god forsaken heavy metal bullshit.
And now, at the risk of completely losing any respect I may have around this forum, I kind of thought Resident Evil: Apocalypse was cool. I love Oded Fehr, what can I say? He can be in a movie about cows with parrot wings that do the Macarena all day and I would watch it. :lol: :oops:
:shock: Thomas, the fact that you can quote anything from the prequel trilogy other than "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" disturbs me greatly. :D j/k
Krist, I swear on all I hold sacred that I will never in life double post.