Silent Hill to be a movie Trilogy!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

lady_ash2112
Just Passing Through

Post by lady_ash2112 »

I thought that the movie was decent. The only dispute I had with the movie was they changed the main character. I wanted to see Harry on the big screen.

I certainly hope that if they work on a sequel, they put James and his story on the big screen.

Gans stated that the reason why he cast a female in the lead is because a man could not pull of vulnerability. Men can be victimized, but society views a man as a sissy if he shows one ounce of emotion or weakness.

Gans also stated that he wanted to show the audience that a woman could gain inner strength. What would be interesting is if the roles were reversed in the sequel. A male lead character starts off strong, but his inner demons start to pull him down the spiral leaving him mentally paralyzed. James is the prime candidate for that type of story, although similar arguments could be made for Henry or especially Travis.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

lady_ash2112 wrote:Gans also stated that he wanted to show the audience that a woman could gain inner strength. What would be interesting is if the roles were reversed in the sequel. A male lead character starts off strong, but his inner demons start to pull him down the spiral leaving him mentally paralyzed. James is the prime candidate for that type of story, although similar arguments could be made for Henry or especially Travis.
If I would describe Henry, I wouldn't say he starts off as strong. He's a shy and quiet soul, enjoys to be for himself and has fairly sluggish reflexes. He's not so life-experienced, more mystical and shut in. It's impossible for the demons to bite on him since he's so inaccessible. So I would say he's no good candidate for that type of story.

But you're right on James, good points and reflections.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

I dunno 'bout anyone else, but I felt like the movie was kind of... rushed through, like they just wanted the background laid out. Like the real plotline would come later. If so, then we should have a very lovely opportunity to see SH2 on the big screen. There's so much potential to fuck around with the story, though (as evidenced by Harry becoming Rose), that I have nagging doubts. Nonetheless, there is a great opporunity to turn it into the near art-house film the game had so much potential to be.

If they can keep it from going too Hollywood. :|
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

What I personally wonder is if this idea is still going forth, considering Avary apparently had some run in with the law this past fall/winter--and I think Gans is busy on other stuff.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the film sequels fade into movie purgatory... my enthusiasm has faded.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
SHSharpshooter
Just Passing Through

Post by SHSharpshooter »

Well, I know that a movie like this can be pulled off with a male lead.

I'm figuring it would kind of play out like Duel. An average guy beset upon by external forces and forced into a collage of emotions and experiences. He goes from Joe Average to confused to terrified to near insanity. At the end it's the 'To Hell with it' plan and then we have whatever our ending might be.

If they do a sequel, I just hope that they plan it out and don't rush us through it like in the first film.
[img]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5676/shimsigms0.jpg[/img]
[i]"What is THIS? What are these...things! Why won't you leave me alone?!"[/i]
Caine
Just Passing Through

Post by Caine »

i hope they change the main character because direct sequels were always not the opoint of the games and wouldnt make any sense !
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

I'm hoping for a storyline similar to 2, using Sean Bean. It's already well setup, with Christopher going back to Silent Hill in search of his wife, still wrecked over her disappearance. This time he gets pulled in, and bam, you got James.

Sean already did an increadiable job in part one, the problem was that his character was used for a filler subplot. :?
viex
Just Passing Through

Post by viex »

As long as they defeat Sauron and defeat the Sith menace I'm cool with it.

Now seriously, more game-sense next movie, not that I don't like the movie, it's just that I prefer Harry...
[url=http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stfusigkk2.gif][img]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4831/stfusigkk2.th.gif[/img][/url]
-Time Waits For No One-
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

Meh agrees with ya, Harry would have been better. Say his wife had passed away, and all his love was devoted to Cheryl. Sean could have done it well, or possibly another actor. Just not quite the hard nosed husband that was used for the subplot. Still, this does set him up to be a James type character, and would flow better with the movie if did in such a way. Fans could understand the change, but general viewers would become rather baffled if someone totally different popped up in the role.
Last edited by Justicar333 on 07 Apr 2008, edited 1 time in total.
lady_ash2112
Just Passing Through

Post by lady_ash2112 »

Justicar333 wrote:I'm hoping for a storyline similar to 2, using Sean Bean. It's already well setup, with Christopher going back to Silent Hill in search of his wife, still wrecked over her disappearance. This time he gets pulled in, and bam, you got James.

Sean already did an increadiable job in part one, the problem was that his character was used for a filler subplot. :?

I think that would be an interesting idea. It would make logical sense since the movie ended with Chris. While you have Chris go to search for his wife, the town ends up exposing the dark secrets that he has locked up but did not throw away the key.

I also think that James should be brought in to meet Chris by fate as the both of them go to look for their wives. There, you take the character from the game sequel and the character from the movie and tell both of their stories.

Sorry, I guess my crazy two sense are getting the best of me. These ideas of crossing the two stories is inspiring me to possibly write a fan fic.

^_^
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

Justicar333 wrote:I'm hoping for a storyline similar to 2, using Sean Bean. It's already well setup, with Christopher going back to Silent Hill in search of his wife, still wrecked over her disappearance. This time he gets pulled in, and bam, you got James.

I can see where your comming from, but how does James' awesome plot twist in the end come to play if the sequel occurs as you said??
She said her blood turns to ash
Burning eyes can't forgive you
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

silenthillwhore wrote:
I can see where your comming from, but how does James' awesome plot twist in the end come to play if the sequel occurs as you said??
*ponders* The twist would need a small change. Say perhaps, he discovers that he really wanted his wife gone? Hence the hard nosed attitude about Cheryl. If it had been my daughter, woulda went with my family to silent hill, trying to find a way to help her. Not so keen to hand her over to shrinks. Christopher realizes he was driving Rose away with the issue, and thus he is to blame for her going alone, and as such responsbile for her death (well, permant loss in?) Silent Hill.

Could be tweaked a little more, but I think whatever the dark secret, it should relate somehow to his relationship with Rose.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Considering the ending events of the movie, Chris could be used in a sequel- but it wouldn't make much sense. As far as we know, Chris has committed no major sin (at least not against his wife) and there's no damn way Alessa is letting him get anywhere near her new mommy. He already failed Sharon, and I highly doubt Alessa would want anything to do with him. I guess the only way to do it involving him is to have him face some other dark demon from his past; but then, wouldn't it be just as easy to use a completely unknown character, in that case?
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

At this rate I highly doubt that there will be a trilogy, however I impatiently await and hope for it to eventually happen.

I don't know if yo heard, but Onimusha got delayed and therefore it will be even longer till Gans finishes of that movie, which means that if Gans is to direct the next Silent Hill then the project is still a mile away. On a side note he doesn't seem very interested in directing it anymore, which has me a little bummed since I thought he did a great job on the first movie. Whatever happens next I hope it ends up in the right hands and that the movie can live up to what the first movie already constructed and bring it to the next level.