Kind of a shame

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Yunee
Just Passing Through

Kind of a shame

Post by Yunee »

I watched this movie again last night, but first I watched the extra features on the DVD. And I got to thinking about how absolutely full of detail the costumes are. And then I felt a bit sad watching the movie, because it is so darkened and fixed with CGI, that you can't really see a lot of the immense detail that wen't into the costumes in the first place.

I mean, the Grey child ( or whatever you want to call it) was a full body suit, down to the feet, with a swelled stomach and extensive paint to create this mottled skin effect- but you just don't see it in the movie. Just imagine the hours it took to create those effects. I know, I know Silent Hill is supposed to be dark, but I just felt we could have had a better look at some of the monsters. Just my opinion ^^
[img]http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/218/0/2/You_bet__they_die____by_Yunee.jpg[/img]

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

I agree on the grey children, you don't see much of them at all because of the fast action scene they're in but I don't see this probly with any other creature in the movie so I'm not upset at all with it.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

I'm more dissapointed over the fact that instead of giving the monsters any kind of medaphorical significance they are just reduced to being mutated townspeople (watch the special features and the director states this). They just pulled monsters and scenes out of the game that they thought looked cool. Pyramid head had no place in the movie. Neither did the laying figure.

The nurses shouldn't have been bunched up like that either. It made an awesome scene that reminded me of trying to sneak in the dark in the first games hospital but it shouldn't have been their only scene.

And as far as the whole "burn the witch" thing...wtf?
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

Ashmodean wrote: And as far as the whole "burn the witch" thing...wtf?
yeah, that kind of made the rest of the movie ass-backwards, didn't it? it does suck that they felt the need to cgi over everything though... here is the pyramid without cgi..
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
where does the apron stop and he start?
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Please don't post a picture that big without putting it behind a spoiler tag. It's gigantic and annoying. Plus it stretches out the page. I've edited it for you but please be more aware in the future.

Also, in reference to the apron, I believe it's a stylistic choice and not one to get too fussy about.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

There was a lot of effort put in the monsters, I saw the bonus material too and I enjoyed every second of it. I just want to say that they did the right thing, put some real actors in suits and then put some CGI over. It helped a lot bringing them too life, I have serious problems with movies like "I am legend" where it was all CGI and therefore looked very fake.

I was also very amazed about all the detail put in the monsters, but even though a lot of the work remains hidden in the dark scenes I still think that what was visible really helped a lot.

I was also a bit bummed when I found out that Pyramid Head was in the movie where he really had no purpose, which is one of the reasons they cornered themselves...
Aside from that I think that everything regarding the monsters is brilliant. I really loved the nurses (but just in the movie, I don't like that they are being used in the games now).

As for the burning the witch thing, I didn't care too much about it. I guess they needed a way to explain why they
burned Alessa. Honestly I can't even remember why they burned her in the game since it's been so long XD
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

krist,
sorry about the picture size, i'll find something more appropriately sized in the future... but on the upside, it does show off the fx people's work pretty nicely...

chrism, the reason in the game is
the cult burned her after she started showing independence and went against the wishes of the order, because once she was incapacitated, they could let the power inside her (the only part they really wanted) grow without her own will messing things up. as you can tell from the game and movie, they failed miserably.
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>the reason in the game is . . .
Um, no.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Ashmodean wrote:Pyramid head had no place in the movie. Neither did the laying figure.
I agree about P-head. The laying figure however, was a new monster in the 'series' and he did actually symolize something. He was the janitor of the school, and made use of Alessa sexually. When Alessa spread her deepest nightmare, he was one of the first she punished.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

No. Are you sure you got the monsters right? The lying figures were what spit "acid" all over Cybil, the Janitor was.....well, the janitor in the stall.

The lying figures in the movie were I guess made to represent people who mutated from the toxins from the coal fires.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

LanceS133 wrote:No. Are you sure you got the monsters right? The lying figures were what spit "acid" all over Cybil, the Janitor was.....well, the janitor in the stall.

The lying figures in the movie were I guess made to represent people who mutated from the toxins from the coal fires.
My mistake.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Phantom Allure

Post by Phantom Allure »

LanceS133 wrote:No. Are you sure you got the monsters right? The lying figures were what spit "acid" all over Cybil, the Janitor was.....well, the janitor in the stall.

Actually, the only reason I could think of why the Lying Figures were included in the movie was that Gans needed a monster that could be up and about in the "fog" world. The underground coal mine fires were implied in the movie to have commenced some time after Alessa awakened her powers in Brookhaven Hospital and sucked the townspeople into the alternate version of Silent Hill (this in Gucci's narration that search and rescue operations turned up unsuccessful as a lot of the bodies were missing)
[url=http://www.marvindmartian.deviantart.com]Deviantart account[/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8271]My SH fanfic novel[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6642]Monster design set 1[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6974]Monster design set 2[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7970]Monster design set 3[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7213]Bosses design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6446&start=30]Commission design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7463]Manga sample pages[/url]
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

the funny thing about all of that - no one who hasn't played SH is going to be looking for symbolism in the monsters, and nearly everyone who has played the games doesn't like the certain monsters being placed there due to the "symbolism" not sticking to konami's original ideas.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

Actually, the only reason I could think of why the Lying Figures were included in the movie was that Gans needed a monster that could be up and about in the "fog" world.
I've read and listened to a few interviews with him and he makes it quite obvious that his only concern was visual appeal and to make the movie feel like the game through using familiar camera tricks, visuals, and sounds.

He completely missed what really makes Silent Hill special. I didn't care that it didnt fit with the games or that he replaced Harry with Rose or changed some names and roles but he didn't leave the philosophy intact. What actually makes Silent Hill Silent Hill just seemed to go over his head.

All in all I did enjoy the movie as it stands alone from the games.
SHSharpshooter
Just Passing Through

Post by SHSharpshooter »

I thought the movie was ok. Honestly, pretty much any movie based on a game is going to be different. The Resident Evil movies were so radically spun off, it was almost unrecognizable. Never mind Bloodrayne or Hitman.

It was pretty much what I thought it was going to be. A gory, dark film made to appeal to a large audience, even those that never played Silent Hill.

The main thing that I did not like was the whole name changes, the story hacks and lack of anything familiar except Cybil. Where did they come up with all this? Why didn't they use Harry? The film was just ok. I bought it.

I guess that says something.
[img]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5676/shimsigms0.jpg[/img]
[i]"What is THIS? What are these...things! Why won't you leave me alone?!"[/i]
Silent Smiffy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Smiffy »

watched it, good effects, scary at times, prefer game, gans did not do justice to the games
Snake. We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

>watched it, good effects, scary at times, prefer game, gans did not do justice to the games

That was the point though. The movie was a stand alone. Gans did the atmosphere justice as well as the creatures. The story deviated massively from the original storyline, however I liked that about the movie.

Gans did better justice with the film than most could have done. I am glad to see that he is making the sequel. I am also glad to see that he will have a new writer for the flick.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

That was the point though. The movie was a stand alone. Gans did the atmosphere justice as well as the creatures. The story deviated massively from the original storyline, however I liked that about the movie.

Gans did better justice with the film than most could have done. I am glad to see that he is making the sequel. I am also glad to see that he will have a new writer for the flick.
Exactly. If you take the movie on it's own for what it is it is a great movie. Just does not fit with the games at all.
Red Munin
Just Passing Through

Post by Red Munin »

I disagree about Pyramid Head. I believe he was in the movie for the same reason he was in SH2, in the role of Punisher. When the Otherworld spreads over Silent Hill, he hunts down those outside the protection of the church and punishes them accordingly. I believe he is the one who chains up the miners with barbed wire on the fences. When he tore off that girl's skin, her body resembled a laying figure. To me this fits with my own personal theory that the Silent Hill in the movie is a kind of pergatory. Where no one truely "dies" because they are already dead, they are simply changed, over time or due to Alessa/Pyramid Head into what they truely are inside their dark hearts - monsters. This Silent Hill is Alessa's personal Hell playground, where she can take out her vengence on those who did her so much wrong.

This is just my pov. Feel free to discuss.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Just some thoughts here and I know this isn't the right thread for it... but I just can't grasp the idea that anyone would think Pyramid Head made any kind of sense in this movie... it was fan service plain and simple... Sadly they didn't realize that the vast majority of true Silent Hill fans are smarter then your average gamer, and you know what I mean.

So, why do I think this.... Pyramid in SH 2 was a direct representation of the antagonist personnel demons and repressed feelings. He was punishing himself.

If Pyramid Head is a Punisher via Alessa... why would he blindly strike out after Rose, seeing as she is Alessa's chance of ultimate Retribution? That would make zero sense. The Muscular/ 7 foot tall version makes me think of a fucked up He-Man Figure... He doesn't manifest as someone's personnel fears. He just felt horrible tacked on.... Though I was still excicted to see him on the big screen... I would have rather waited for when it made sense.... or if he was adapted to fit in more with the
Punisher aspect that you mentioned, with features more fitting to that.

As far as the visual aspects are concerned... this is where the movie absolutely shines... If in now other area they got this right. It's brilliant. Aside from some of the choices for the He-Man Pyramid Head.