One of the best videogame based movies, but still....

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

vavelva
Just Passing Through

One of the best videogame based movies, but still....

Post by vavelva »

It flew so far away from the game based dialogue and plot that it kinda butchered the entire movie... Instead of sticking with the cult of "The Order" they move to a Westboro Baptist church stereotype, where instead of worshiping Samael, they are worshiping God. I will agree that this movie was perhaps one of the best videogame based movies i have ever seen because the pyramid head was in it (one of the most popular characters in videogame history, wise move too), other monsters from the game, and the ending was fantastic when all of those people got what they deserved... but i just can't help but get the feeling that it kinda supports the "Believe what i believe or you're gonna burn in hell" stereotype of religon... and for some reason, durring the barbed wire scene that alessa did, i get... aroused... for some reason.... errm... anyway, the distance from the real plot of the game could have been what butchered it the most.
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

What I hate about this movie is that it's based on silent hill 1 but still they change stuff like Harry to a female and add example PH there. It's a complete mess. And Rose's husbands scenes kinda ruined the foggy world feeling.
But worth watching because it's visually very effective.
vavelva
Just Passing Through

Post by vavelva »

delusion wrote:What I hate about this movie is that it's based on silent hill 1 but still they change stuff like Harry to a female and add example PH there. It's a complete mess. And Rose's husbands scenes kinda ruined the foggy world feeling.
But worth watching because it's visually very effective.
i actually liked the PH change, it's more easier to make a pyramid head costume now :D

besides, the helmet looked a lot more badass than the in-game one... all he needed was the rest of the robe, the gloves, and i did not see him wearing his boots...
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

Yeah it looked sure very good like all of the monsters and stuff but I don't still like him to be there because he belongs to SH2.
vavelva
Just Passing Through

Post by vavelva »

He is actually very intertwined with the lore of silent hill itself. he is mentioned as an executioner, and the butcher in silent hill origins is mentioned as an executioner and shares the same characteristics as the pyramid head. another strange thing i found on Wikipedia.
Silent Hill Origins features a monster called The Butcher, who is more or less an incarnation of Pyramid Head. He echoes Pyramid Head in both actions and appearance, with very few and slight differences. He also seems to serve similarly as a punisher. The bad ending of Origins shows Travis being experimented on by the cult, with Pyramid Head in the background serving his role as a punisher. A file located in the theater depicts someone being stalked by The Butcher, and that person has noted that he looks like "HIM". The "HIM" is revealed to be the executioner, which was also an alternative name for Pyramid Head.
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

delusion wrote:What I hate about this movie is that it's based on silent hill 1 but still they change stuff like Harry to a female and add example PH there.
I actually liked that about the movie. It was inspired, so to speak, by the game and based off of it, but they didn't want to make a movie exactly like it. That way, it didn't feel to fans as if they were simply watching the game. I loved the movie.
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

Yeah I know he is a from of executioner of times past, but I didn't like the idea to put it there to just randomly kill some innocent girl and to pleasent fans of him. Besides Rose didn't know anything about this executioner like James had heard about it and later created that monster to punish him.

der Morgenstern Czigany: But then if they make a film based of SH3 then they have to change all the stuff again..
Last edited by delusion on 28 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

plus, he had to make it seem to make sense for the general audience who don't know a thing about it.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

delusion wrote: der Morgenstern Czigany: But then if they make a film based of SH3 then they have to change all the stuff again..
If they do SH3. I don't understand how they could do SH4, but you never know. Maybe they'd would go more towards SH3. Maybe the sequel would be a continuation of the first movie, somehow. Maybe Sean Bean's character (Christopher) gets a letter from his wife, Rose, saying to meet her in SH, but she's been dead for several years (etc.). Who knows what or how they'll do it!
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The movie is an alternative universe to the games. If they tried to do a direct adaption of the game, the fans would be born and the non-fans would be too confused. This was the best possible adaption, so enjoy it for what it is.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

der Morgenstern Czigany wrote:
delusion wrote:What I hate about this movie is that it's based on silent hill 1 but still they change stuff like Harry to a female and add example PH there.
I actually liked that about the movie. It was inspired, so to speak, by the game and based off of it, but they didn't want to make a movie exactly like it. That way, it didn't feel to fans as if they were simply watching the game. I loved the movie.
actually, gans stated that he didn't want to cast a man for the role of harry because he felt that a man running around being scared wasn't masculine.

i hated rose.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

crucifix wrote:
der Morgenstern Czigany wrote:
actually, gans stated that he didn't want to cast a man for the role of harry because he felt that a man running around being scared wasn't masculine.

i hated rose.
Hmm Rose was pretty decent, but Alessa looked like she was from "Grudge"
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Besides, Harry was originally supposed to be a woman running on maternal instinct. Instead we got a protagonist that didn't have to play on being a woman to be afraid.

Also, they wanted people to be afraid for the protagonist. In general, it's harder to be afraid for a man than a woman, which is why so many horror movies have at least (if not multiple) woman protagonists. Let's explore Scream, I Know... Summer, House of Wax, Texas Chainsaw, Nightmare on Elm St., The Grudge, The Ring, Pulse.. The list goes on and on.

It's a proven movie mechanic that works, and Gans is smart enough to realize he wanted his movie to work.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

In general, it's harder to be afraid for a man than a woman, which is why so many horror movies have at least (if not multiple) woman protagonists. Let's explore Scream, I Know... Summer, House of Wax, Texas Chainsaw, Nightmare on Elm St., The Grudge, The Ring, Pulse.. The list goes on and on.

Or the fact they know that horny teens like T&A but at least the silent hill movie doesn't exploit that.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

delusion wrote:What I hate about this movie is that it's based on silent hill 1 but still they change stuff like Harry to a female
I think that Radha Mitchell is the next best thing that happened to this movie, I doubt that anyone else could embody the character as well as she did.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

You know I feel your right in this regard Chrism... It is about character, not necessarily about the sex. She brings to the screen her love for her daughter, and desperation to find her. Should it have been Harry absolutely, but the fact that it wasn't, didn't ruin it, just changed the schematics of it.
Loveless_Dogg

Re: One of the best videogame based movies, but still....

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

vavelva wrote:I will agree that this movie was perhaps one of the best videogame based movies i have ever seen because the pyramid head was in it
WHAAAAAA?!?!

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT ALL "HOUSE OF THE DEAD" NEEDED WAS PYRAMID HEAD, AND THEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME?!

GENIUS!!!

:roll:
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yeah I know he is a from of executioner of times past, but I didn't like the idea to put it there to just randomly kill some innocent girl and to pleasent fans of him.
What innocent girl?
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

A person with beliefs and faith in what they do can not be looked upon and deemed evil just because it's a different one than your own.

In the Movie she does absolutely nothing wrong to anyone. Not even rock throwing is an evil thing that warrants a public skinning.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Well that's how we roll in my town... one misplaced rock throw and your eviscerated.