One of the best videogame based movies, but still....

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

RyanBucek
Just Passing Through

Post by RyanBucek »

I thought RE3 was a horrible movie all around. As a movie on it's own it just sucked....really short. The movie as a Resident Evil movie was even worse.

The first two movies were good though.
whiteclaudia9
Just Passing Through

Post by whiteclaudia9 »

I can't say I'm a fan of the movie. There are numerous things that should have been included or just left out alltogether. For instance, I didn't like the way the Order was represented in the film. The use of a cross instead of the halo seemed wierd to me. I also thought it was unwise to cast a female for the lead roll. C'mon, the "father looking for his daughter" thing wasn't heartwarming enough? I'm not saying I completely hated the film. The visuals were good. I just wish it was made with more of an understanding of the game.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

whiteclaudia9 wrote: For instance, I didn't like the way the Order was represented in the film. The use of a cross instead of the halo seemed wierd to me.
The cult in the film is not the Order. According to the director, they are a cult that directly opposes the Order and the woman seen being burned alive in the painting in the church and hotel is Jennifer Carroll.
whiteclaudia9
Just Passing Through

Post by whiteclaudia9 »

What does he mean by the cult directly opposing the Order? As in rivals?
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

As in their beliefs are the direct opposite of the Order's. The fact that it's supposed to be Jennifer Carroll being burned in the painting means they also systematically burned members of the Order.
whiteclaudia9
Just Passing Through

Post by whiteclaudia9 »

Oh, okay. It's been a little while since I've seen the movie. I forgot who Jennifer Carroll was for a second. I really liked what they did with the bugs (Creepers?) in the movie, though. I found the sounds they made and their human-like faces to be really disturbing. :shock:
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Also, replacing Harry was a mom was done in order to make a foil between Rose and Dahlia. Alessa used Sharon in order to find a mommy who wouldn't betray her. She never had a father, so she doesn't really care about wanting one.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Postal is the best video game adaptation ever.
whiteclaudia9
Just Passing Through

Post by whiteclaudia9 »

I never understood that in the movie. How could Dhalia let those people sacrafice her child, even when she knew they had done that to people in the past? I know she was in the cult too, but it's her own child, ya know? She wasn't a religious fanatic like Christabella was. I guess it's not that diffrent from what Dhalia did to Alessa in the game. They're both guilty of betraying her trust.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Christabella told her that she could purify the child of sin, and she and Christabella were probably close. As a desperate mother, she probably let herself believe that this would be different and that some other solution would be given to her child.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Dahlia was pretty clearly a member of the cult, as she has a picture of the same female diety in her apartment atop a small shrine as the one seen in the school, but she probably was desperate for the problem to end and thought that Alessa's blood relation to Christabella would stop her from doing anything too drastic.
Taoy
Just Passing Through

Post by Taoy »

Watched this movie again last night for the first time since its release.

Absolutely loved it! For the average viewer this is indeed a horribly stupid and confusing film. Imo it is one of the best examples of Fanservice in history.
Zerosignal
Just Passing Through

Re: One of the best videogame based movies, but still....

Post by Zerosignal »

vavelva wrote:durring the barbed wire scene that alessa did, i get... aroused... for some reason....
And i thought i was the only one into barbed wire bondage!

Just kidding. Maybe...

I do agree though, they could have done a direct adaptation easily. Now whatever they do will stray WAY from the games. I wish they would have done something similar to David Lynch's "Eraserhead" since that was supposedly one of the many influences on Silent Hill, but i guess they wouldn't have gained much of an audience from that. The whole side story thing kinda removed me from the surreal, fearful part of the movie too. How many different times do they really need to explain that the town has burned down? I still love how like an hour into the movie, Rose and Cybil go to the hotel, and one of them says "it looks like there was a fire here." ...At least they stayed true to how clueless and dense SH protagonists tend to be :P

For some reason, movie adaptations always remove the very things that made the game original. For instance, the Doom movie. Doom 3 had the coolest idea: tampering with technology eventually lead humanity into the realms of Hell. But look at the movie...they add all this emotional garbage about the "Doom guy's" sister, and remove the idea of a portal to Hell, only to replace it with the same DNA crap we see in every sci fi movie lately. *sigh* sorry about the slightly off-topic rant, i'm just coming to realize that there's really no hope for movies in general.
[i]Stay.
You don't always know where you stand,
'Till you know that you won't run away.
There's something inside me that feels...
Like breathing in sulfur.[/i]
[b]-Slipknot[/b]
Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: One of the best videogame based movies, but still....

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

vavelva wrote:because the pyramid head was in it (one of the most popular characters in videogame history, wise move too)
Meh... PH's cameo in the movie felt too much like fan-service. I understand that the cult needed to be punished, but his purpose seemed a little misguided. He attempted to attack Rose and Cybil, but wtf did they do? Also, he
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
kills Anna, who has been said to be mainly innocent because she was born after the burning.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

He attacked Rose for the same reason all the other monsters did: they were creations of Alessa's hate that lashed out at everything around them. Alessa used the monsters to force Rose to prove how far she was willing to go for Sharon.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

I always thought it was fanservice as well.
I've never read/seen anything confirming otherwise.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There is a screenshot of a picture in the hotel which shows men with pyramid-shaped hats, bare chests, and tan skirts. This is where the movie version of Alessa got the concept of Pyramid Head from.
pisces9397
Just Passing Through

Post by pisces9397 »

I agree with vavelva on the story. They could have stayed a little more faithful to the original plot without confusing moviegoers. I do think that having a female protagonist was a good idea. It makes me feel bad to say that since I do love the game so much more, but for a movie it worked fairly well. Alessa sucked, totally a grudge wannabe. And PH should NOT have been in it. They should have made it a great movie without PH, THEN have him in the sequel in his correct context. Still did like seeing him though. Ramble,ramble,ramblem ramnsdf ..
I have a chainsaw in my pocket. -Owl_Waxer
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

pisces9397 wrote: Alessa sucked, totally a grudge wannabe.
How do you get that?
*The ghosts in The Grudge are dead- Alessa is not.
*The ghosts are an adult woman and a young boy- Alessa is a living adult woman who also manifests as a young girl.
*The ghosts were characterized by strange movements- neither Alessa nor either of her doppelgangers exhibited such behavior.
*The ghosts also exhibited strange noises- again, neither Alessa nor her doppelgangers exhibited similar behavior.
In fact, the *only* thing that's similar is that you're dealing with the supernatural and an entity looking for revenge. Which means you might as well just go ahead and say every ghost movie ever made ripped off the one before it.
And if you're saying they're the same because Alessa and her doppelgangers have long dark hair and Dark Alessa has pale skin, well then, every film with a thin long-haired blonde actress ripped off another film with a thin, long-haired blonde actress.
Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

pisces9397 wrote:Alessa sucked, totally a grudge wannabe
I'm not sure if that can even be possible. Didn't Silent Hill (first featuring Alessa) come out before the Grudge? So if anything the ghost from the Grudge is essentially a rip-off of Alessa
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.