Silent Hill Dropoff

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Zmaster9
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill Dropoff

Post by Zmaster9 »

Im kinda confused about somthing in the movie, right after the barb wire scene and when their driving off. The ash and fog almost make it look like their about to drive right off the drop off...was it suppose to be like that, or was the drop off never been there and just an illusion to make them feel trapped to silent hill?
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

It's hard to say if it's real or not - there's a few theories about it.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
One is that Rose died and her time in Silent Hill was a sort of purgatory-like state. She's still in this state even though she leaves the town with her daughter which, as you know, isn't entirely Sharon (or entirely innocent). I'm not sure if I really buy this. In fact I don't like the idea at all. I think it's too simple and too... stupid. I bring up this theory because the drop off could just be the "bar" in the way of Rose's soul from continuing on - but as we see she doesn't really go on anywhere. She stays in this purgatory state, distanced from her husband and the entire world save for her daughter.
Another theory coincides with what we see in the games, in that the "otherside" of Silent Hill isn't exactly confined to just the town itself but can be triggered by certain people - again, in this case, Sharon/Alessa. Since Rose leaves Silent Hill with this "trigger" she's still capable of being in the "otherside" - in fact she never even left it, in that case. The road repairing itself could be the "trigger" expanding its reach beyond the town's limits into the world outside, which we see happen in SH3 and SH4.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The dropoff is obviously there since we see Cybil clearly looking into an abyss. It simply expands after the soul has recombined and Alessa wants to return to Sharon's home. Since Alessa controls the alternate dimensions, she can change them to her will. She's now left the place of her greatest suffering and is living out a new life with a new mom- though still trapped in the alternate realm because she appears to not want to return to our world (who could blame her?)
AdjectiveRyan
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

l'm on the theory that rose and sharon didn't die but are simply stuck in less happy otherworld because of sharon's corruption. but, because it was only part corruption sharon could choose to let them leave silent hill (repairing the road) or even let the car start (member how sharon was falling asleep but the car wouldn't start so she opened up her eyes and tadah?) road was passable cause sharon was calling (most of) the shots.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The dropoff is obviously there since we see Cybil clearly looking into an abyss. It simply expands after the soul has recombined and Alessa wants to return to Sharon's home. Since Alessa controls the alternate dimensions, she can change them to her will. She's now left the place of her greatest suffering and is living out a new life with a new mom- though still trapped in the alternate realm because she appears to not want to return to our world (who could blame her?)
My thoughts exactly.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]