Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2018

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: New Director For Silent Hill Sequel

Missing since: 23 Dec 2008
Notes left: 678
Quote:
Christophe Gans, director of 2006 Silent Hill, is unlikely to return for the sequel, according to actress Radha Mitchell.

Speaking in an interview with the website Bloody Disgusting, Mitchell spoke about long delayed Silent Hill 2. She said that the movie was still being 'kicked around' but would probably not see the return of director Christophe Gans.

"I don't think Christophe is attached," said Mitchell. "[That] is a shame because he's a nutter but he's so passionate about the game. I think he should do it if they do it again." Mitchell herself has expressed an interest in appearing in the movie - in a cameo role of course - as one of the myriad monsters that populate Silent Hill.

But is losing Gans such a bad thing? The Silent Hill movie was almost universally reviled by critics, and as Gans both directed and helped to write it, perhaps the sequel would do better without him? Silent Hill changed many of the details from the game, including significant changes to the main protagonist and the antagonist and added a critique of Christianity that seemed to be entirely Gans' own creation.

While the reactions of the cinema-going audiences have been a little kinder, Silent Hill is still a divisive movie, with some lauding its art direction; others lamenting the egregious liberties taken with the story; and some - like myself - doing both. Would a Silent Hill movie that followed the games more closely finally prove that videogame movies aren't all garbage?

With a decent director/writer combo, it just might.

Seems like Silent Hill 2 is still in the making, eh.

Source- 1up- http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173675

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
Awww, I'm not sure whether to be happy or kind of worried now that he's gone.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Dec 2006
Notes left: 295
Last seen at: Leeds, UK
I think it'll be cool to see what another director could do with it. I enjoyed the first film a lot, and thought Gans did a good job with it, (I think if it was a direct port from the game it would have been boring and would have defeated the point in making a film) but when you think about it, most of the Silent hill games all have a unique look/feel and are quite different from each other anyway, so I think that having a new director would carry this across to the film. (Whether intentional or not).

Reading that back I'm not sure if it was very clear what I was trying to say, but oh well, lol.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Old ass news is old as ass.

Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Still, Radha Mitchell as a nursey? Hawt... :oops:

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2004
Notes left: 3526
Last seen at: Waco, Texas
Unless she's nakie I don't really care. That Bitch has got a phat ass, yo.

SHH Staff Writer
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Feb 2009
Notes left: 1041
Last seen at: California
Interesting...I just hope who ever to get to direct it next can re create the same atmosphere! Plus it would be awesome to see Radha Mitchell as a monster!

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jan 2005
Notes left: 1696
Last seen at: Калинингра́д, Россия
I think I hear Uve Boll squealing with delight somewhere.

*shudder*

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Mar 2009
Notes left: 202
woot?

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
The first movie was AWESOME, in my opinion, but it was very Silent Hill 1 - kinda fanservice, ya know, all the mythology and all that, not so much deep psychology and experimental scares.

By that I mean, it was kinda American - I don't mean that in a whiney way, just that a lot of the scares were shot in a way which the creators already know are scary, ya know, sure-fire win, whilst I find some of the scariest moments in the games to be really abstract and experimental, like they just tried something weird and it worked out scary.

I think what I'm trying to say is, the director of the first movie did a great job of setting up Silent Hill for the movie medium, now I'd like to see a more experimental approach from somebody else.

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
I just wish they would do the movie like the game... :cry:
It's so PERFECT to be translated into a movie.
They don't need to look for new ideas. :cry:

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Well, the first movie was just like the game... Just had a few little changes really.

If you want to just see the exact story over again just replay the game. Some stuff needs to be changed when changing medium.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
I agree. I'd love to see the next movie be based off of Silent Hill 2, but I don't want the exact story. We already know the meat of the story, but I want things to unfurl in new and completely unexpected ways.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2008
Notes left: 3453
Last seen at: New Jersey
robbie-kun wrote:
I think I hear Uve Boll squealing with delight somewhere.

*shudder*

That's...not funny. No.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2009
Notes left: 29
Quote:
Well, the first movie was just like the game... Just had a few little changes really.

Actually there was quite a few not so little changes in the film that changed the plot completely hence there being topics here trying to suss out the story; if the changes really were so little surely one could just refer to the SH1 topics.

That said it was clearly based on SH1 and I would like to see how the story of SH2 would be adapted for cinema and the general public who probably wouldn't understand half of the SH2 story in enough depth to even begin to appreciate it.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

I'm quite irritated by your judging of the "general public", are you so much smarter, sir? What are you trying to claim? Do you have a PHD? Are you a doctor? A scientist? Theologist? What do you have that this "general public" don't?

Nillin wrote:
I agree. I'd love to see the next movie be based off of Silent Hill 2, but I don't want the exact story. We already know the meat of the story, but I want things to unfurl in new and completely unexpected ways.

Nice to hear a SANE comment from somebody! I'd love to see what they'd do with the SH2 story, but, yes, the exact adaptation that fans think they want would just not work as a movie and the most interesting part would be to see what does.